Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
kydisneymom
Mouseketeer

Christmas Crowds....Am I going to be miserable?

For Christmas, my wonderful husband gave me a trip to Disney next Christmas (which is my dream). We usually go in October, which we still may, but am I going to be miserable at Christmas with all the crowds? I've ALWAYS wanted to see all the decorations and do the MVMCP, so is it worth it?
kydisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

Depends on the dates of your trip. We just went 11/30 -12/8 and the crowds weren't bad at all. We had a wonderful trip!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
bugaler
Earning My Ears

We were at MK yesterday and the posts on this board were scaring me! It was busy but not unmanageable. Have a good plan and get there early. We did everything we wanted to and didn't have huge waits. Our longest wait was 35 minutes for Buzz Lightyear at the end of the day.
bugaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneymom View Post
For Christmas, my wonderful husband gave me a trip to Disney next Christmas (which is my dream). We usually go in October, which we still may, but am I going to be miserable at Christmas with all the crowds? I've ALWAYS wanted to see all the decorations and do the MVMCP, so is it worth it?
I 2nd the pp - we went 11/27 - 12/7 and it was wonderful. I would *never* go at christmas although a lot of people don't seem to mind the crowds (obviously). Why don't you try to go earlier in Dec. and you would enjoy it much more - all the decorations are up.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
kydisneymom
Mouseketeer

Our trip would be the December19-26. We could adjust some, but not a lot sooner.
kydisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
roost0524
Earning My Ears

We have been the week after Christmas and found it fine. You will need to go to the parks early, plan you days, and expect lots of people. Its such a wonderful time of year, to be at Disney is perfect.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Meetmeinmontauk
DIS Veteran

I've read that the weeks before Christmas are great. Also, if you arrive early you can get a lot of stuff done!

May 2011 - Pop Century August/September 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside October 2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter November 2015 - Art of Animation

Meetmeinmontauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roost0524
We have been the week after Christmas and found it fine. You will need to go to the parks early, plan you days, and expect lots of people. Its such a wonderful time of year, to be at Disney is perfect.
When you went the week after did you get to see the Christmas parade (like the one they do Christmas Day or during MVMCP?)
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneymom
Our trip would be the December19-26. We could adjust some, but not a lot sooner.
We are looking at going that week or the next. I know the crowds will be heavy both weeks I just don't know how I'd feel about not having Christmas at home. We have been Thanksgiving and the second week of December and all of the Christmas decor and entertainment was amazing. The things I miss most each year are the Osbourne lights and hearing Malakiliki Muka (sp?) being sung at Ohana's.

BTW I have to tease- your DD's shirt in your profile pic would be much prettier if it was red ;0) We live in Louisville and are a house divided (I guess you know what side I'm on, lol.) Good game today.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
roost0524
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
When you went the week after did you get to see the Christmas parade (like the one they do Christmas Day or during MVMCP?)
No, we didn't. We were there Dec 29th through Jan 2nd in 2011, and we did see MSEP one night. Mid day in the MK was pretty crazy so we tried to avoid it.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Utilize rope drop and morning EMH and you will be just fine. We discovered that people like to sleep in on vacation. We were the family leaving the parks at noon (having ridden everything we wanted) when the masses were cramming in. We came back in the evening for dinner. At MK, the crowds left after the fireworks and the park was open until 1 am! Early EMH was at 7 am and it was still dark outside. We got some amazing pictures during these hours. I highly recommend Christmas time at WDW for anyone who doesn't like to sleep in. Honestly, our longest wait the entire week was 25 minutes for Enchanted Tales with Belle.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

We somewhat had the same trip last Christmas. Try to get as much done park-wise the first weekdays you are there. Crowds will start to build with the weekend leading up to Christmas. I would recommend rope drop the days leading up to Christmas and plan to be out of the parks by lunch time, spending your afternoons resort hopping to see those decorations (especially the ones on the monorail and the Wilderness Lodge). Bake in time one evening to go over to the Boardwalk to see their decorations as well and the carolers.
The best advice I heard for doing WDW at Christmas was this - pack your patience. Go in with the understanding that you likely will not accomplish everything you would normally do the same way you would normally do it. You will be so caught up in the Christmas spirit and all the decor that you'll be fine.
Have fun!

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13, Sept 14 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Girl's Weekend! - Yacht Club, Nov 2014
Thankful to be going back to the Fort! - Fort Wilderness, Thanksgiving 2014
Reunion with friends from UK we met on our Med cruise - Apr 15
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Depends on when you are looking at...Since you mention wanting to do the MVMCP, then you would need to go before Christmas week( this year the last party was 12/21).In any event, the Crowds start building around Dec 20th or so and continue to build till Christmas.From Christmas week-Early Jan , the crowds are very very large, but doable .The biggest pieces of advice I can give..PACK your PATIENCE...There will be people...Lots of them everywhere and waits will be long.Not just waits for attractions, but longer travel/walking times ,bathroom breaks and waits for meals.Get to the parks for ROPE drop.You can accomplish more in those first few hours than you can once the crowds start rolling in.MANAGE EXPECTATIONS.I know more people that do little planning, roll into WDW expecting to see and do it all that week and they leave disappointed.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Question why

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneymom View Post
Op-reading your questiion prompts me to say a few things
1-you have a DH who obviously cares about you

2- it is your dream to be here at Christmas...

given those 2 facts alone how can you be miserable ?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've been here since the 22nd and wouldn't come again at this time even if someone gave me a free vacation.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: