Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #76
megan_in_pink
Mouseketeer

I give all of you a huge pat on the back for pulling up and moving close to disney!

If I was sure I be able to use my degree I would probly look into it more.
megan_in_pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #77
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMermaid View Post
I was in Orlando last weekend and found a great place in Altamonte Springs. The ones I could afford in Orlando/Kissimmee weren't that nice after an up close view. As people have said, it is expensive to live/move there and I am thankful to be able to make it work.
This time next week hopefully I'll be done moving boxes into my third floor( ugh!) place and be setting things up and "nesting". I can't wait!

Hope to have a FL AP by summer.
Congrats and good luck with the move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan_in_pink View Post
I give all of you a huge pat on the back for pulling up and moving close to disney!

If I was sure I be able to use my degree I would probly look into it more.
I didn't move here to be closer to Disney but it is a perk to be close. Still...I haven't been to the Disney parks in two years and don't know when I will once again venture on property.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #78
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Congrats and good luck with the move!

I didn't move here to be closer to Disney but it is a perk to be close. Still...I haven't been to the Disney parks in two years and don't know when I will once again venture on property.
That seems to be typical of the people in my neighborhood unless we work for Disney, which technically I still do. In reality I do not because I am on an unpaid medical leave. Since I will need to return to work in a wheelchair while almost all of the jobs at Disney World require standing all day, I am going to have to accept the heartbreaking fact that they are not going to let me return to work and move on soon since I cannot continue without a paycheck. It sure makes me sad though because I loved going to the Disney parks before my shifts just to talk to the guests about what they were planning to see, how much they had like what they had already seen, and then making my suggestions based upon what they had told me about their current and prior Disney trips. It was fun for me to chat up anyone taking a break on a bench and photograph them with their big ole turkey legs and tell them where to find the best stuff to take home to the grandchildren or whoever. The guests seemed to enjoy it too.

I have applied at City Hall as a candidate for an Orlando City Board and am hopeful that the mayor will appoint me. I could get back the guest relations aspect that I still regret losing at Disney because it would allow me to make decisions regarding the tourist trade in Orange County. Maybe my application to the tourist bureau will be approved too as I gave that a try this morning. Wish me luck. While my heart does still ache for Disney, I know that there is more to Orlando than the theme parks and will appreciate the opportunity to educate tourists about the other great attractions here that I have learned about during my time off.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #79
SaberJ
Mouseketeer

We actually received our address a couple days back. I'm considering going ahead and ordering our AP vouchers now that I have a Florida Residency. I've got all the way through to the payment screen that way. Is there a reason I shouldn't go ahead and do that?

I'm considering getting 2 APs. One for me, and one for my wife. I'll probably make one a pay monthly and just buy the other outright. With the pay monthly, I assume you would begin paying as soon as you make the order, yes? And if I got them online, they are vouchers that don't start the clock until you exchange them for the actual APs, correct? Just want to get all my information straight before doing that.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #80
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

If you pay monthly. A payment equaling a one-day ticket of the down payment. Then, within 24 hours your first payment will e auto-debited. Then your payments will be one the day your first signed up for the next 11 months

And yes. They aren't active until you exchange them at Guest Services
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #81
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
I have applied at City Hall as a candidate for an Orlando City Board and am hopeful that the mayor will appoint me. I could get back the guest relations aspect that I still regret losing at Disney because it would allow me to make decisions regarding the tourist trade in Orange County. Maybe my application to the tourist bureau will be approved too as I gave that a try this morning. Wish me luck. While my heart does still ache for Disney, I know that there is more to Orlando than the theme parks and will appreciate the opportunity to educate tourists about the other great attractions here that I have learned about during my time off.
Best of luck on your new opportunities!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #82
BoardWalkBelle
DIS Veteran

<<I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and.>
Yes, its probablt Buena Vista Place apts. Income restricted and right behind the MK.
BoardWalkBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #83
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
For those who are interested:

I was in Orlando last weekend and found a great place in Altamonte Springs. er.
have not looked at Altamonte Springs - was it price alone - or did you find what you wanted there?

have looked at Davenport, Minneola, Clermont, Winter Park, Ocoee, Kissimmee, Orlando, and a few other places that I don't remember

right now looking at Lake wales.

know from where I live now - Birmingham, Al - that the crime rate is only bad in certain neighborhoods - where I live sometimes things get stolen - but that is the worst.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #84
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardWalkBelle View Post
<<I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and.>
Yes, its probablt Buena Vista Place apts. Income restricted and right behind the MK.
does income restricted mean you have to make a certain amount to live there?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #85
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
does income restricted mean you have to make a certain amount to live there?
Yes. Usually you have to make BELOW a certain income. In my personal experience DON'T go to these places. The one I moved into without knowing was in Washington and I heard domestic violence in my neighbor's apartment, people got things stolen, and the cops hit a guy with their car as he ran away right in front of my apartment. Yes. Crazy I know.

As for your question about my place in Altamonte Springs- the price was a little higher than I wanted but the complex is great! Quiet, the staff is amazing and the area has lots of great places nearby. The complex is older but being renovated and it's bigger than my old place in Texas was.

[/URL][/IMG]
TattooedMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #86
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. Usually you have to make BELOW a certain income. In my personal experience DON'T go to these places. The one I moved into without knowing was in Washington and I heard domestic violence in my neighbor's apartment, people got things stolen, and the cops hit a guy with their car as he ran away right in front of my apartment. Yes. Crazy I know.

As for your question about my place in Altamonte Springs- the price was a little higher than I wanted but the complex is great! Quiet, the staff is amazing and the area has lots of great places nearby. The complex is older but being renovated and it's bigger than my old place in Texas was.
I live in an income restricted place right now but gave my 30-day notice to move because the lease expires next month. This is my first experience with rent which requires my income to be below a certain level so I have no idea how typical this place is. What I do know is that I have had numerous leaks here, including two that meant sticking the trash can on top of the toilet to catch liquid coming down from the ceiling. At one point the leak was bad enough that I had to use an umbrella in order to use the toilet without getting wet by whatever that was which was coming from above. Building management knew about this and saw no reason why such living conditions should prevent them from collecting payment in full when the rent was due. Yet any tenant suffering any kind of hardship, such as a cut back in hours at work or an illness that prevented work is facing eviction fast while still owing money for having broken the lease.

You might be better off in a homeless shelter until you can save up for a better place if your only alternative is signing a lease in income restricted housing. I am truly that fearful of signing another lease with this place, which would charge me $1500 if I could not last another year here, even if it was not my choice to leave. This has happened to other tenants here.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #87
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:

thanks - have not consider Altamonte Springs now it is on the list.

some of their houses are very reasonable

now not sure about Minneola - it seems that the crime rate there has gone up - confused though Minneola had it own police - but everything that was file was with the county sheriff????

Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #88
Mac4life30
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the move. I am hoping to be there June 1st!!! Looking at the Little Lake Bryan area.
Mac4life30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #89
jennyf2
DIS Veteran

Talking Count me in .....

My plan is to move to FL by the end of summer! As of now everything is on track I have always said we would move when my oldest graduates HS - so now is the time.

I can't stand our MN winters & I've always wanted to move since I've been in HS. Its going to be a new start for us & I can't wait! I'm in the process of selling our current house & I'm going to do an apartment in FL... Any suggestions would be great!

Now living 10 minutes from DISNEY
jennyf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #90
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyf2 View Post
My plan is to move to FL by the end of summer! As of now everything is on track I have always said we would move when my oldest graduates HS - so now is the time.

I can't stand our MN winters & I've always wanted to move since I've been in HS. Its going to be a new start for us & I can't wait! I'm in the process of selling our current house & I'm going to do an apartment in FL... Any suggestions would be great!
Congrats!! Good for you for finally making your dream happen I used only apartment websites, then checking apartmentratings.com and another website that shows recent criminal activity. Take into account the ratings will always have one or two bad ones but as long as the issues aren't serious, I didn't mind them. It's a lot of work but I found a place I loved. I'd also say if you could afford it, take a trip down just for apartment hunting( which can be tough knowing WDW is so close!). Get an idea of where things are and when you pick one, what the area is like.
From my search, it was hard to find cheaper ( less than 1000) apartments near WDW that weren't ghetto or income restricted. Of course, I knew I couldn't afford the downtown living either. I decided to live in Altamonte Springs because it's a little quieter and I fell in love with my complex. It's about 40 minutes to WDW without bad traffic, which sometimes drives me nuts, but I've told myself that once I finish school and make more $$ I'll look at moving closer
Hope that helps, if you need more info, don't hesitate to message me! Good luck!!

[/URL][/IMG]
TattooedMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: