Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #46
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran
 
SanFranciscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
In a word, yes--pay is that bad. Obviously some jobs pay more than minimum wage, but overall pay rates are lower here than other parts of Florida and much lower than the northeast. Of course, there is no state income tax, but even then probably not enough to offset the difference.
With my apologies to the thread-starter for the change of subject, I am going to have to second this view.

I have done a little to help out the local homeless population. It is heartbreaking to see those who have just given up, and yet even educated ones have because this means that they can have no bills. Meanwhile rents have reached levels that contradict the assumption that things are cheaper in the south so many people live in groups in order to pay the rent. Once even one roommate in the financially strapped group fails to make his or her share of the rent, they all go down like the Titanic. So even people who always managed to make their share of the rent have evictions on their records. Then businesses need workers at times the workers need to be at the facilities for the homeless in order to eat or get a bed while a hotel room will cost more per night than the worker can make in a shift.

Now to get back to the original question asked by our young chef here, I was taken once to an area called "Restaurant Row". Does anyone here live in that area and know what I am talking about? I believe that that was off of Sand Lake Road, but it was quite a walk back to International Drive. What is the housing situation like around there for our 20-something relocater?
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #47
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer
 
Miumiu4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan

With my apologies to the thread-starter for the change of subject, I am going to have to second this view.

I have done a little to help out the local homeless population. It is heartbreaking to see those who have just given up, and yet even educated ones have because this means that they can have no bills. Meanwhile rents have reached levels that contradict the assumption that things are cheaper in the south so many people live in groups in order to pay the rent. Once even one roommate in the financially strapped group fails to make his or her share of the rent, they all go down like the Titanic. So even people who always managed to make their share of the rent have evictions on their records. Then businesses need workers at times the workers need to be at the facilities for the homeless in order to eat or get a bed while a hotel room will cost more per night than the worker can make in a shift.

Now to get back to the original question asked by our young chef here, I was taken once to an area called "Restaurant Row". Does anyone here live in that area and know what I am talking about? I believe that that was off of Sand Lake Road, but it was quite a walk back to International Drive. What is the housing situation like around there for our 20-something relocater?
That's the Dr. Phillips area. It's very nice, but pricey.
Miumiu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #48
SaberJ
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 115

Hopping on the wagon here. I'm also moving to Orlando in early April. There are four of us going, so I think we'll be good. It's me and my wife, my brother, and a friend of ours. At least two of us will be transferring jobs to the area, and will be making above minimum wage. And the other two have to potential to transfer as well.

We are actually moving to the Hunters Creek area. Our move in date is set for April 8th. I haven't seen the place, but I heard it's a nice area, with the downside of having quite a bit of traffic.

Since we're on the topic of moving to Orlando, what's the deal with the AP payment plan? I think we are all going to get some sort of AP. What do you need to actually purchase the voucher? A FL drivers license? An address? How does everyone feel about the payment plan option?
__________________
My First Trip Report: Nov 2010 (Lots of pictures, food reports, etc)
SaberJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #49
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars
 
jagfanjosh3252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,010

I'm on the payment plan right now. I kinda like it. Only real downside is that you have to make sure what plan you want. I have the secon dough eat one, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't since I'm in the plan.

You need either a FL drivers license or 2 utility/bank statement with a FL addy on it.
__________________
Go Jaguars!
jagfanjosh3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?
 
ilovefh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252
I'm on the payment plan right now. I kinda like it. Only real downside is that you have to make sure what plan you want. I have the secon dough eat one, I wanted to upgrade but couldn't since I'm in the plan.

You need either a FL drivers license or 2 utility/bank statement with a FL addy on it.
Just so you know you can upgrade an AP on the payment plan. You just have to pay the difference in a lump sum because the monthly contract can't be changed. DH and I both upgraded last summer.
__________________
Me: DH: DS:


ilovefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #51
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars
 
jagfanjosh3252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 1,010

You sure? I went a few weeks ago and tried Guest Relations in DTD and MK and they both said te same thing. I couldn't.
__________________
Go Jaguars!
jagfanjosh3252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #52
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?
 
ilovefh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252
You sure? I went a few weeks ago and tried Guest Relations in DTD and MK and they both said te same thing. I couldn't.
As of last summer, yes. Both DH and I upgraded to the premium. I did mine about a month after purchase and DH did his about two months after purchase.

Check the stickie on the attractions and strategies about tickets.

But you do have to pay the difference right then and there. I think the difference on mine last year was a little over $120. My monthly payments do not change though.
__________________
Me: DH: DS:



Last edited by ilovefh; 02-09-2013 at 06:19 PM.
ilovefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #53
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran
 
Berlioz70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,562

I moved here for WDW as well nearly 5 years ago.

I started out living at Sabal Palms, which is right in the middle of CP housing. Pricing is of course higher being so close to Disney, but I love the location.

I was there a year then purchased a house just north of MK.

I recommend checking out the Equity Apartments; they've got a lot of options in the Orlando area.

I never considered Kissimmee or Davenport because they are too far away for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando
If you start out working in the parks - you'll likely start making $7.5-$10 depending on the role.
__________________
CHARACTER WEBSITE/PHOTOS:
WDWCharacterHunt UOCharacterHunt On Facebook
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #54
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,324
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
While the land area called "MetroWest" seems to be quite large, I don't trust realtors or rental agents at all when it comes to neighborhood boundaries. I have lived in Orlando only since 2011, living in a part of town misrepresented as "Millenia", even by signs at the entrances to apartment complexes. I assure you that the shopkeepers at the expensive stores at the Mall of Millenia would prefer that their customers not know that my neighborhood exists.
I know what you mean and especially in your part of town. Because they have the fancy, schmancy mall in the area, they think it will help attract people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miumiu4me View Post
Baldwin, Thornton Park, dr Phillips, College Park , and windimere are nice, safe areas. Avoid places off of OBT /the Pine Hills area.
Not all areas of Pine Hills are bad. I live in Pine Hills on the northern edge and there is rarely any problem in my neighborhood. Some areas yes...but not all. College Park had all those robberies a few months ago so that's not an area I would move to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefh View Post
But you do have to pay the difference right then and there. I think the difference on mine last year was a little over $120. My monthly payments do not change though.
That's the way Universal does it too. If you're on the payment plan, you would have to pay it off and then you can upgrade. I've never used the payment plan for annual passes and probably won't start. It's easier to pay it once and be done with it.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #55
Disneyandphilliesfan
Mouseketeer
 
Disneyandphilliesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 214

Need help

I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and that includes Water Sewer and pest control. What do you think is it legit?
Disneyandphilliesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #56
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?
 
ilovefh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West
I know what you mean and especially in your part of town. Because they have the fancy, schmancy mall in the area, they think it will help attract people.

Not all areas of Pine Hills are bad. I live in Pine Hills on the northern edge and there is rarely any problem in my neighborhood. Some areas yes...but not all. College Park had all those robberies a few months ago so that's not an area I would move to.

That's the way Universal does it too. If you're on the payment plan, you would have to pay it off and then you can upgrade. I've never used the payment plan for annual passes and probably won't start. It's easier to pay it once and be done with it.
I'm not saying it's not that way right now, but last year with Disney you didn't have to pay it off in order to upgrade. You just had to pay in a lump sum the difference between the regular pass (or regular renewal if yours was a renewal) and the premium or premium renewal. Then you still pay monthly the same amount you paid before.

So my renewal was broken into payments of about $31. I paid in a lump sum the $120 difference between the renewal regular price and renewal premium price a little over a month after renewing. My payments of about $31 continue.

This may have changed since last June but I did this with both of our passes.
__________________
Me: DH: DS:


ilovefh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #57
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,324
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefh View Post
I'm not saying it's not that way right now, but last year with Disney you didn't have to pay it off in order to upgrade. You just had to pay in a lump sum the difference between the regular pass (or regular renewal if yours was a renewal) and the premium or premium renewal. Then you still pay monthly the same amount you paid before.

So my renewal was broken into payments of about $31. I paid in a lump sum the $120 difference between the renewal regular price and renewal premium price a little over a month after renewing. My payments of about $31 continue.

This may have changed since last June but I did this with both of our passes.
Oh OK...I gotcha now.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #58
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side
 
spiceycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: birmingham, Al
Posts: 36,927

not moving for a few years.

so won't be joining you and the others in Florida - yet.

staying here until my mother dies - she is in an excellent nursing home - but kept getting road blocks for my move.

so brought everything back to Ala -- and that costs me - have decided it is for the best to wait.

hoping once I can move can still afford close to WDW - of course then close will be an hour away instead of 30 minutes.

definitely going for a house - almost brought a condo in Windermere - it was very reasonable priced - but the maintence fees were $600 a month and it was only a 1-bedroom. the rest of Windermere the house seem to start at $375,000 and just go up, up, up....

anyway hoping to be in Florida by 2018!
__________________
Pat J

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #59
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,324
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
definitely going for a house - almost brought a condo in Windermere - it was very reasonable priced - but the maintence fees were $600 a month and it was only a 1-bedroom. the rest of Windermere the house seem to start at $375,000 and just go up, up, up....

anyway hoping to be in Florida by 2018!
Yup...Windermere is not an area that you'd want to move to if you are on a budget.

Some of those communities are really expensive. Balmoral, Lake Down Crest, Windermere Ridge and Westover Ridge all are very nice!
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #60
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...
 
Jason71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
Now to get back to the original question asked by our young chef here, I was taken once to an area called "Restaurant Row". Does anyone here live in that area and know what I am talking about? I believe that that was off of Sand Lake Road, but it was quite a walk back to International Drive. What is the housing situation like around there for our 20-something relocater?
Sand Lake Road, near I-Drive. Any 20-something sous chef working there would want to live in the Westwood Blvd. area, as I mentioned above. 10 - 15 minute drive, reasonable rents, safe, plenty of young people.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.