Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
FLDisneyCouple
Earning My Ears

We live in Tampa, but I can tell you Davenport is a really good area, as well as Kissimmee. There are many nice apartments in those areas. As long as you avoid the complexes near I-4 you'll be okay
FLDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMermaid View Post
First, mods I have NO idea if this is the right place for this so I apologize if it needs to be moved.

Now. I'm doing it- I'm moving to Orlando in March for WDW. I've done some looking and realize Kissimmee would be closer to the World but for work purposes and school, Orlando would be better for living. That being said, does anyone have any apartment complexes they would recommend? Any areas to avoid/ or are better for 20 somethings?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Until you know where you'll be living/going to school, kind of pointless to start looking at different areas. The greater Orlando area is huge, and while there are good places for 20-somethings all over it, the last thing you want is an hour plus commute.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

Update so far:

Booked a short weekend trip at the end of February to look at( and hopefully hold) apartments. Then two short weeks later, I'll be heading out with my Budget truck full o' stuff to my new home. Hoping to start moving in March 8th/9th.

I'll keep anyone following updated once I find where I'm living.

[/URL][/IMG]
TattooedMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
belle032
Mouseketeer

Like another poster said, Davenport is a good area as are Dr. Phillips and Hunter's Creek. The last 2 are more expensive areas however. Cagan Crossings is a nice apartment complex in Davenport and a lot of CM's live there. Prices are reasonable for the area. Be warned the closer you get to WDW, the more expensive apartments are. Something a little more expensive but very nice is Abaco Key. I lived there for a few months.

Also, be warned that a Disney wage is hard to live on, especially if you're living alone. (This is coming from a former CM!) 1-bedrooms can be $600+ and I think every single 1 of my friends had roommates to help w/costs, even if they owned their own house. It's definitely a job you have because you love it, not for the money. I loved Disney and still do but maybe if they had paid a little better, I'd still be there!

Don't mean to be too negative, just being realistic! Good luck!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle032 View Post
Like another poster said, Davenport is a good area as are Dr. Phillips and Hunter's Creek. The last 2 are more expensive areas however. Cagan Crossings is a nice apartment complex in Davenport and a lot of CM's live there. Prices are reasonable for the area. Be warned the closer you get to WDW, the more expensive apartments are. Something a little more expensive but very nice is Abaco Key. I lived there for a few months.

Also, be warned that a Disney wage is hard to live on, especially if you're living alone. (This is coming from a former CM!) 1-bedrooms can be $600+ and I think every single 1 of my friends had roommates to help w/costs, even if they owned their own house. It's definitely a job you have because you love it, not for the money. I loved Disney and still do but maybe if they had paid a little better, I'd still be there!

Don't mean to be too negative, just being realistic! Good luck!
Thanks! Trust me, I did WDW CP, I KNOW they pay very poorly. I'd never work for Disney for that reason alone. Even those higher up in my current field complained about the money.

I'll look into those other areas.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #21
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDisneyCouple View Post
We live in Tampa, but I can tell you Davenport is a really good area, as well as Kissimmee. There are many nice apartments in those areas. As long as you avoid the complexes near I-4 you'll be okay
I disagree. Davenport and Kissimmee are disaster areas.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
What's wrong with them? I live in Orlando, and have never been to Davenport. Yet I am looking to move and went to check out apartments in Kissimmee today. The mall there is clearly not in good health, but my living within walking distance of a notoriously expensive mall between here and Universal Studios has not changed the fact that the police helicopters fly over all of the time because I live in a major drug zone. Nothing violent has happened to me or my husband since we moved here in 2011, but statistically we live in the most dangerous zip code in Orlando. This could be partly because we live about five-ten minutes' walk from Orange Blossom Trail in the opposite direction from the mall, which has some bad areas. Right after we moved here co-workers were talking about a police officer being shot. When another co-worker asked where this had happened, she said, very matter-of-factly, "Where else? Orange Blossom Trail". We are an older couple so we'd prefer to live somewhere less "exciting" shall we say?

We rented this place off of the Internet while knowing nearly nothing about Orlando because we were coming from across the country, and rents were averaging over $2,000 per month for one bedrooms in San Francisco so we could not tell by the lower rents in Florida what might be a sign of a trouble zone.

I want to return at night to any neighborhood that we are considering renting in during the day; and that would be my main advice for the OP and anyone else moving to Orlando, or anywhere else for that matter, if it is possible to get a look around before moving.

What don't you like about Davenport and Kissimmee? I am guessing that it is certain neighborhoods that you don't like?

To the young person looking for housing which would appeal to 20-somethings, the area around UCF already mentioned would be good. I have also seen some of the apartments in the publications for students advertise leases of less than a year so that would give you a chance to decide before making a longterm commitment to a specific address. Downtown Orlando seems popular with young people as well and was even mentioned in the USA Today a year so ago for its popularity with the young who want to be able to walk from home to entertainment etc. The Lake Eola and Thorton Park areas of downtown Orlando are pricey though while the area around Amway Center has tensions between those who resent the gentrification of the surrounding area and those living on the fringes of urban renewal.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

What about Clermont? A realtor I spoke with last week described Clermont as a long city and said that there is a part of Clermont that is near Disney but is followed by a large bunch of orange groves before the city picks up again about 30 minutes later. Anyone have more information?
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Mousecreant
"The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does." — J.M. Barrie

Hello Everyone,
I have lived in Orlando for the past few years and lived here as well about ten years ago. If you have any questions about areas or anything I am more than happy to help.

Once thing I would recommend is base where you live, if you have the option, on where you work. The commute in Orlando area is lengthened by the rush hour traffic that happens everyday. I live in Orlando and commute to Winter Park and something that is only 6-8 miles it takes a good half hour and that is if there aren't any accidents or anything else impeding my travel.

Since you get to visit and if you know where you are going to work try driving to and from to see what kind of traffic to expect at different times of the day, except on Sunday for some reason Sunday makes day traffic very manageable.

Again if you have any questions feel free to ask and I love Disney and have an annual pass :-D
Mousecreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
ilovefh
Is it Disney time yet?

Quote:
I have to defend my little area! I'm in Davenport and it is far from a disaster area. Now, some areas in Davenport may be not so great...but ours is nice. We live near Champion's Gate in a wonderful neighborhood. Kids play outside, our neighbors are awesome. I don't know that I would recommend our neighborhood to a 20 something single person because it is very family oriented, but we love it. That said, we would NEVER send our kids to the middle school we are zoned for, elementary maybe, high school, sure, but NOT the middle school.

I have some single friends that live near Sea World, some that live in Integra Meadows off 27 and some in Cagan Crossings. They all seem to like their respective places.

For the record I did not like the city-data forums. Everything was so negative. After I read them I was terrified to move. Some posters were helpful, but it quickly became clear to me that if you didn't live in Clermont, Winter Garden/Windermere, or Winder Park there would be nothing positive to say. From reading the forums I thought Davenport was just a desolate wasteland full of gangs, guns and drugs. Turns out that was not true.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Bluefox
Earning My Ears

Moving to Orlando to be closer to WDW -- I'm loving this idea!!! :-) Would too if I could but alas I'm rooted here by work. I hope everything works out for you both! (think I counted two movers?) I used to live in Tampa and now I'm kicking myself for not visiting the parks as often as I should have.
Bluefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #27
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
What about Clermont? A realtor I spoke with last week described Clermont as a long city and said that there is a part of Clermont that is near Disney but is followed by a large bunch of orange groves before the city picks up again about 30 minutes later. Anyone have more information?
The part of Clermont "near" Disney is Cagan Crossing, mentioned earlier. It has apartments, some housing developments, a Wal-Mart, and a fair number of chain restaurants. Nothing upscale, but the relatively cheap prices have made it sort of a bedroom community for Cast Members.

Here's the thing--if you don't work at WDW (still at least 15 - 20 minutes away without traffic) or the Wal-Mart, you're nowhere near your job. It really is the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Both are huge cities that can't really be stereotyped. The actual city of Davenport is hillbilly central, part there are parts of unincorporated Polk County near Champions Gate and by Haines City called "Davenport" that are quite nice--I live in one. Huge tourist rental home developments were built and still remain half-empty but there is no crime and a nice Publix blocks away.

Similarly, Kissimmee includes the scuzzy east end of 192, but it also includes Celebration and Reunion. There are parts of Kissimmee where one side of the street is nice (lower middle class but still livable), while the other side is a slum.

Florida isn't the north. The cities are too big and diverse to stereotype them.

@TattooedMermaid: Having lived in the tourist area 9 years now, I'd stress again, until you know where you're working, don't even worry about housing. If you're a young professional, odds are good you'll end up with a job downtown or over in Seminole County or maybe out by UCF, in which case most of the places I've seen suggested simply aren't feasible. The greater Disney area is very much a company town, if you don't work in tourism, there isn't much else--you say you don't want to work for the Mouse, so really little reason to want to live over here.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

We moved/transfered here (Winter Haven) in April and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here. We are living in our RV in an RV park. No not for everyone but is working for us.
We can be onsite in just under 30 miles or 40 minutes. I know for some that is SSOOO far away but we lived in Maine.... nearest mall was 40 minutes away....
Cant tell you a lot about apartments and I may be flamed but Carlton Arms dont seem too bad...
As others have said, min wage is a shock to the system
Good luck and
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
panda8899
Mouseketeer

We moved about 7 months ago to the Champion's Gate area (also part of Davenport) and we love it. My husband works at WDW and it is a very easy drive to the parks from our house. Like many others have said it is very important to know where you are working before looking for housing. When we were looking we decided that Clermont was just too far out for us and Kissimmee was either very expensive or very run down. The Davenport area we live in was perfect for us, but may not be for someone young and living alone. That being said there are a lot of rental homes in the area if you can find a roommate to help with costs. If you have any questions let me know. I spent a ton of time, not that long ago, searching and multiple trips to look at places to rent.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #30
TattooedMermaid
Mouseketeer

To everyone talking about finding work before an apartment- I'm a chef. I've done fine dining, to a school, to a chain/pizza place. Honestly, I can find work just about anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help!

[/URL][/IMG]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: