Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
disneyderns
Mouseketeer

neighbors first trip

My neighbors head down to WDW tomorrow for a week. This will be their first trip to the world with their kids (3,6,and 8). They tend to be spontaneous, but I hope they weren't with this trip!!! I offered one piece of unsolicited advice...get there early and leave the parks by noon. I know they think I'm crazy when I've talked about my obsession with Disney and how I plan so much for a trip. I pray they did their homework so their first trip is magical!
AUG. 2010 - Disneyland in SoCal!!!
March 2014 - Windsor Hills offsite (FP+)

disneyderns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Hopefully they realize how invaluable your advice was sooner rather than later. Did you explain how crowded this week will be? I hope they have a great trip, but reading about first trips to WDW during the winter break/Christmas/New Year's timeframe makes me nervous for them.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Ouch, First trip during this timeframe. I hope they listen to your advice! I wish them a happy & magical first trip
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
smidgy
dimples

OP: know this.. they will NOT have even listened to you... they will come home, having done everything just the opposite of what you said (after all, what do YOU know, it's not like you've been there before or anything...)

then tell you they didn't care for it all that much, and don't understand why you love it so much. ...

and you will seethe, then get over it and realize how much smarter you are than them!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
DCbride
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy
OP: know this.. they will NOT have even listened to you... they will come home, having done everything just the opposite of what you said (after all, what do YOU know, it's not like you've been there before or anything...)

then tell you they didn't care for it all that much, and don't understand why you love it so much. ...

and you will seethe, then get over it and realize how much smarter you are than them!!!
Agree!!! This has been my experience more than a few times !

Disney Trips with the kids 1993 Poly 1995 BC 1996 Dixie Landings 1998 BC 2001 SoG 2004 SoG 2006 Dolphin 2008 Magic Villa 3, Mickey's Clubhouse 2009 CSR in March, April, Aug. Sept & Nov 2010 CSR, WL & WL CL, SoG 2011 SoG, CSR, SoG, Mariott, Kidani 2012 Marriott, BC, WLV/AoA 2013 Marriott, AoA, AoA 2014 Pop/Omni, Omni, BC, Bay Lake
DCbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
BBandDisney
Mouseketeer

Myob.
BBandDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyderns View Post
My neighbors head down to WDW tomorrow for a week. This will be their first trip to the world with their kids (3,6,and 8). They tend to be spontaneous, but I hope they weren't with this trip!!! I offered one piece of unsolicited advice..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83 View Post
Hopefully they realize how invaluable your advice was sooner rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

Why do DIS members automatically consider themselves above non DIS members?

My wifes 3 sisters and their kids went to Disney for the first time a couple weeks ago. They did no research except deciding where they wanted to stay.

They went to the parks every day and low and behold they did all they wanted to do and had a great time.

Everyone here pats themselves on the back with both hands and shower themselves with accolades for being smarter than everyone else in the world because they immerse themselves in Disney minutia, then wonder why all their coworkers, and families, roll their eyes when they announce their next Disney trip.

Last edited by Bob NC; 12-28-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
ChristusG
DIS Veteran

Leave the parks by noon? I'm a Disney veteran, have season passes, and have been over 30+ times.....and I have never, ever left the park by noon. I'd consider that such a waste!

Been to Disney more than 30 times....now enjoying sharing the magic with my girls. Love camping at Fort Wilderness in our pop up camper!
ChristusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Indio
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristusG View Post
Leave the parks by noon? I'm a Disney veteran, have season passes, and have been over 30+ times.....and I have never, ever left the park by noon. I'd consider that such a waste!
I agree! We've been dozens of times at all times of the year (including Christmas) and we have NEVER left the parks at noon and not returned. The tickets just cost way too much to only use them a quarter of the time you have paid for!!

And I also agree that you don't have to do months of "studying" to have a great time at Disney. I had gone many times before we even had an internet to study on and never bought a book of any kind for the first 4 or 5 trips. Never once came home and said "we didn't get to do anything".
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
disneyderns
Mouseketeer

Yikes..I did not transcribe the whole bit of advice that I gave my neighbor...I did not advocate leaving at noon and never returning...of course that would be a waste of money! The whole "words of wisdom," go early, get a lot of the Fantasyland rides in (they have all little girls) eat lunch on your way out of the parks at noonish AND return in the evening.

I never suggested months of planning - but it does help to know a few things in advance to have a smoother trip...
AUG. 2010 - Disneyland in SoCal!!!
March 2014 - Windsor Hills offsite (FP+)

disneyderns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I love the planning. That is how I found out how wonderful the Lion King show at AK was. We always just ignored it on all our other trips. And I still haven't tried a Dole whip yet. My daughter doesn't want anything to do with planning our joint trip in February. She says she likes to be surprised, or spontaneous, or whatever. Research is great for hidden gems, but if you don't find them, that's okay, too. The best part about WDW is that there is always something new, especially if you tend to never do any research before the trip.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yikes..I did not transcribe the whole bit of advice that I gave my neighbor...I did not advocate leaving at noon and never returning...of course that would be a waste of money! The whole "words of wisdom," go early, get a lot of the Fantasyland rides in (they have all little girls) eat lunch on your way out of the parks at noonish AND return in the evening.

I never suggested months of planning - but it does help to know a few things in advance to have a smoother trip...
I agree with the remarks that were made about people here on the Disboards that think they have all the answers and that they should give "unsolicited" advice. We have also been going to Disney for many years, during "busy" times and often during "less busy" times. We normally go early, have NEVER left at noon, have girls, and guess what, they love POTC, Jungle Cruise, Magic Carpet Ride. Splash and BTMR. What gives you the right to give your neighbors advice, "unsolicited" at that, telling them to leave at noon, when to get lunch, and what rides or attractions they should ride first because they have little girls. If I was them, I probably would do the exact opposite. There is probably a reason they didn't ask for advice.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
smidgy
dimples

wow! sorry OP, that people are ..um... not happy with your advice giving!

I personally don't think just becasue I frequent the "dis" that I am "so much better". any way to research is fine, other web sites, books, talking to those who have been there...

I had friends who went with a large family, about 25. I told them there are frequently discounts available, gave them the addressses of a FEW websites (not just the dis).

they had a travel agent who was a disney expert , so they didn't need any advice. they did mention their meals 'were included". I knew this meant the DDP. I suggested they make some ADRS.. nope, we don't know where we want to eat in advance.

turns out they went at a time when there were BOTH room only discounts, free dining, AND grand gathering planning. they did NONE of those. paid rack rate for the room, paid for the DDP, and complained they couldn't get in to eat hardly anywhere.
and yes, they told me it's way too expensive, they didn't get their money's worth since the restaurants didn't hold spots open for those who had the meals "included" with their package, and why do we like it there so much?
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
MHTeacher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My neighbors head down to WDW tomorrow for a week. This will be their first trip to the world with their kids (3,6,and 8). They tend to be spontaneous, but I hope they weren't with this trip!!! I offered one piece of unsolicited advice...get there early and leave the parks by noon. I know they think I'm crazy when I've talked about my obsession with Disney and how I plan so much for a trip. I pray they did their homework so their first trip is magical!
Wow--not necessarily the time I'd recommend for a family's first trip, especially with such young children-but I realize people need to travel when they can because of work/school schedules.

I've been the week between Christmas and New Years, and it's everything you think it will be. While it was crazy crowded, it was one of our favorite trips. Hope your neighbors feel the same way when they return home!

Hold my umbrella while I find your poncho-May 2012 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...64&postcount=1
Disney Dining, DIS Meets, and WAIT-Why is that lady holding onto my husband?May,2010 TR http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...45&postcount=1
DON'T CRY OR WE'LL RIDE DINOSAUR AGAIN! March, 2010 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post35995716
A 16th Birthday/New Years Celebration(with 75000 of our closest friends) Dec. 2009 TR-http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34927152

All Star Sports 2001 Coronado Springs 2003 Wilderness Lodge 2005 Polynesian 2007 POR- 2007 POR 2008 Polynesian 2009 Yacht Club 2009 POR 2010 Beach Club 2010 Polynesian 2012 POP 2013
MHTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Belle83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Why do DIS members automatically consider themselves above non DIS members?

My wifes 3 sisters and their kids went to Disney for the first time a couple weeks ago. They did no research except deciding where they wanted to stay.

They went to the parks every day and low and behold they did all they wanted to do and had a great time.

Everyone here pats themselves on the back with both hands and shower themselves with accolades for being smarter than everyone else in the world because they immerse themselves in Disney minutia, then wonder why all their coworkers, and families, roll their eyes when they announce their next Disney trip.
WDW a few weeks ago is not the same as WDW during the week of Christmas/New Year's, though. I do think telling someone going for the first time during that period to simply get to the park early is invaluable. It certainly doesn't rise to the level of believing they can't possibly have a nice trip without researching for months and months.

Last edited by Belle83; 12-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: