Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #91
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

My DD was 5 during our last trip and runs cross country. Her longest race has been a 5K. She ran (on average) 6-8 miles a week in addition to normal 5-year-old activity. We stopped taking our stroller after our trip when she was 4 because it wasn't getting used because she was able to sit on my grandmother's lap in the wheelchair when she was worn out and we didn't want to stop. We are all day park goers and not stop-and-take-a-rest-in-the-middle-of-the-day people. If you have time maybe you should try a long day at a local attraction and see how she does. WDW (at least the way we do it) is tough for us adults so I know the little ones get worn out especially after a few long days.

I say do what makes your life easier.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:05 AM   #92
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think it is ridiculous that others want to parent not just their own kids, but other people's too.

Use a stroller, don't use a stroller. Not my business, and I don't care either way what you choose to do. Do what works best for your family.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #93
tinkerbell1984
Mouseketeer

My son will be turning 7 on our next trip and will most likely take our dbl stroller. The back is the sit and stand kind and our 4 year old will be in the front. He gets grumpy walking around the mall and I rather have a place for him to rest than him pulling on me. I love taking the stroller anyway! Perfect for storing souvenirs, snacks, drinks, poncho's, etc....So we all kind of win with the stroller.
tinkerbell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #94
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

My cousin and his family came down for Christmas week and his 2 youngest 7 year old the size of a 5 year old and his 5 year old did great walking the parks. We were in the parks no later then 10 and left the parks at closing. I never heard either of them complain about walking and I know there was never a time when they were carried.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #95
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
This is exactly the point. If you aren't willing to slow down or take a break when your 6 year old (5 year old, 7 year old, 8 year old) needs one then you will need a stroller.

If you are willing to take it at their pace (and yes perhaps miss some stuff) then you shouldn't need it. Heck... I need to break now more often then they do. No way could I go, go, go from park open until park close with no breaks.

Having recently been wheelchair bound and now finally back on my feet... I will take walking over not any day. Of course we could do more if I sat and let hubby wheel me.. .but it is a ginormous pain in the rear (as are strollers IMHO). Everything takes longer.
The thing is I have 3 younger kids, they don't all get tired or need a break at the same time. If I stopped and took a break every time one of them needed we wouldn't do anything. Having a stroller allows whichever one is tired to have a break while the other kids continue on. It's not realistic to stop every time one needs a break. If I had only one child that would be quite different.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
disneynewbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #96
stephm0188
Mouseketeer

Meh. You never know. My almost 5 year old was in a stroller for much of our trip earlier this month. He has tibial torsion, and it causes his legs to turn inward. He tires more quickly than other kids his age. Unless something drastic changes, we'll probably end up taking the stroller on our next trip, too.

To anyone else, he looks like a normal, able-bodied kid.
stephm0188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #97
godiva99
Mouseketeer

I will be making a stroller license plate with wording along the lines of "if you think my big 5 yr old is to big for a stroller, zip it because this NYC mama bear don't care!" Lol....

I'm along the lines of doing what suits you and your family best. Done kids have a high endurance and done don't. Despite all the walking we do here on a daily basis, after 2 he's of walking and standing, she needs to sit or gets cranky. I get it and don't push her. My husband has been sick for a while now and i have no intentions of having him carry her around and ruin his day, thus my day. So for us, a rented double it'll be for everyone s comfort and peace of mind.

Enjoy your trip!
godiva99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #98
HomeSweetDisney
Like Cheap Trick I surrender.
perfectly happy eating a bowl of cereal
..."and that my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana shaped."

I don't think a stroller for a 6 year old sounds crazy. Most kids that young aren't used to walking 5-6 miles a day which I think is about average at WDW. I definitely plan on renting one for my son who will be 4 for our trip in October. It will also allow him to take a nap if he gets sleepy.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #99
alle
Earning My Ears

Used a double stroller from Kingdom Strollers for petite 7 & 9 yr. olds. Best decision ever
alle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #100
StephC1217
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatgirl View Post
Well, my dd (6) hasn't used a stroller in 3 years but we bring one to WDW. Yes, it sounds crazy and she doesn't ride in it often but when you have a grumpy kid who has legs half the length of yours, it is nice to give them a break while still sightseeing. Also, we aren't the type to take the trek back to the room to rest mid day. AND - DH gets tired of piggyback rides at park closing time and OP is right, good way to keep together in a packed, dark environment.

To each his own....

Enjoy your trip!

PS - it is also nice to have a spot to hang a backpack

This.

We haven't used a stroller with our son since he was 3 years old but WDW? Walking approx 10 miles a day....8am-11pm or later everyday... then having to walk to the car in the world's biggest parking lots- esp when he is falling asleep... you bet we use a stroller! And when he fell asleep at MK, we would have had to carry him around the park and to the car and at his age, there is no way I could have done it! If you have a child who has no problem walking long distances and will stay awake no problem, then doesn't sound like you will need it! But I counted my lucky stars that I had it the night of the Halloween Party!

StephC1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #101
Jaymie
DIS Veteran

I have a Maclaren and I can't tell you how many times I've lent it to friends going to WDW for their "older" kids. I would love to have someone push me around in a stroller if I could get away with it!!

Some kids just don`t have the stamina for all that walking and I`ve always found the stroller to be a saving grace.
Dec 1979 - Offsite, Feb 1997 - CBR, Jan 1998 - Dixie Landing, Jan 1999 - ASMo, Jan 2000 - ASMu, Jan 2002 - ASSp, Jan 2003 - ASMo, Dec 2004 - ASMo, Feb 2006 - ASMo, Jan 2007 - Poly, July 2007 - POR, Jan 2008 - WL, July 2008 - POFQ, Jan 2009 - ASMo, Nov 2009 AKL, Aug 2010 - CBR, June 2011 - CS, Nov 2011 FW Cabin, May 2012 - BC, Jan 2013-POP
Jaymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #102
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynewbee View Post
The thing is I have 3 younger kids, they don't all get tired or need a break at the same time. If I stopped and took a break every time one of them needed we wouldn't do anything. Having a stroller allows whichever one is tired to have a break while the other kids continue on. It's not realistic to stop every time one needs a break. If I had only one child that would be quite different.
I posted something relatively similar several pages ago, and think disneynewbee has a great point. Again, we have three boys (currently ages 5, 12 and 13) and we've been taking them frequently since our oldest was a baby. We could go stroller-free by age four for our older two because they were so similar in age/needs. And I could go stroller-free when I took our 5-year-old on my own in April - it's just SO much easier with just one child. It's MUCH different to travel with multiple children with different ages and/or needs. We don't bring a stroller for our almost-6-year-old, but I can definitely understand why others do, whether they have one child or many.

If you are like us and don't bring a stroller, keep in mind the occasional rental option. That's what we did at MNSSHP and it was a great way to keep our entire family together for this special event.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #103
FatOldHillbillie
Ears Commander

American kids are obese

Thought that might grab a couple looks, but it's not what it may appear to say. You know your child better than anyone. You should decide whether to use a stroller or not. That said, IN MY OPINION, if your child isnt disabled in some true fashion other than being out of shape already, you are doing that child a disservice. Otherwise if your child isnt out of shape or lazy then if you feel you need a stroller maybe, just maybe, your are going commando style in the parks and you need to tone it down.

Just my observation, but yes all the medical sources are saying American kids are getting lazy and are now a majority in the world for childhood obesity and diabeties.

Oh and on another thought, they can drink out of the waterhose without dying as well.

Last edited by FatOldHillbillie; 01-01-2013 at 08:27 PM.
FatOldHillbillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #104
FatOldHillbillie
Ears Commander

Spoken like a parent who's child never goes outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
so...your're raising a very judgemental 5 year old.....super !!!!
really? insecure much? afraid that kid would judge you?

Last edited by FatOldHillbillie; 01-01-2013 at 08:28 PM.
FatOldHillbillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: