Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
jenjordan
Earning My Ears

Did the World with two 5 year olds (my DD and the DD of our friends) and we didn't even think about using a stroller. We toured the parks at a moderate pace and followed a touring plan so we didn't have them waiting around for very long and when they were tired, we rested.

At that point, my DD hadn't used a stroller in years because she hated being confined.

DH Me DD1 (14) DD2 (11)
jenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
vcgirl925
Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason i have trust issues

I guess everyone knows their child and knows what they can and can't handle. But my kids were able to handle walking the parks for an entire week since they were five.

Upcoming Trips:
Caribbean Beach Resort: June 25th 2014
Beach Club Resort Sept 13th 2014

Last Trip: Port Orleans Riverside Feb 9th 2013
vcgirl925 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
AllieBoo
It's the truth, its actual....everything is satisfactual

My dd was almost 6 on our last trip and we brought our stroller with us. She doesn't ride it in at home, but with the amount of walking you do at Disney World, it just works out better for us to have it.

June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Room!
June 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2010 - Coronado Springs
June 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2007 Coronado Springs
June 2004 Ft. Wilderness Campground
June 2003 Polynesian
May 1986 Offsite
May 1979 Offsite
AllieBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
budafam
DIS Veteran

I took my 4 year old daughter on an 8 day trip this past October and she did fine with no stroller. We did FULL days with no breaks and we had no issues whatsoever. I couldn't imagine my 6 year old son sitting in a stroller.
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #35
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

to me it is just a safety thing...the crowds exiting the park are crazy and a 5 year old can easliy get seperated from the family...so yes..I am bringing one !
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #36
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Our boys are ages 5, 12 and 13. Generally, our boys didn't use a stroller past age 3. But after a long stroller-free period, we ended up renting a stroller for our 5-year-old at MNSSHP this year.

Before our youngest was born, it was easy to ditch the stroller early because our older boys are close in age and have similar needs. So it was easy to stop and take a break when they were tired, and just move at their pace. But the pace and needs of a teen/tween and a 5-year-old are far different and require a great deal of negotiation. Thus, the MNSSHP compromise of renting a stroller for our 5-year-old at MNSSHP.

So while we haven't brought a stroller for a long time and don't intend to bring one along in the future, I think it's a good idea to keep your mind open to the possibility of a brief rental - especially when there is a significant age gap between kids and your family would like the option to stay together.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!

Last edited by pixarmom; 12-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #37
melliej
Earning My Ears

We brought a stroller for my 6 year old daughter for our last trip. While she is a very athletic and fit girl, my husband and I are fast walkers and didn't want to feel like we were pulling her along. We stayed at the Swan and would walk to the Studios and Epcot too. We were there over Spring Breaks when the crowds were heavy, so we felt safer exiting the parks after fireworks with each child in their respective stroller. With that said, she is now 7 and we are not planning on bringing a stroller for her on the next trip. If she wants to sit in her brother's though for a rest, we have no problem with it.
YACHT CLUB: december 2010 • first disney trip for my husband & kids
CARIBBEAN BEACH: december 1997
CARIBBEAN BEACH: march 1989
melliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #38
chipndales
bELIeve GO GIANTS!

Best thing I did and honestly, I never considered it until I read a thread on these boards. My own personal situation was that we couldn't get back to the hotel for mid-afternoon breaks due to a disabled person in our party. It was just too much of a hassle so we planned on leaving the hotel and staying out at the park all day. I played each day by ear and some days she needed it (when we were out late the night before or it was overly hot) and some days she didn't. Disney was very good about refunding me what I didn't use. Of course this was a while ago. Anyway, it gave her a shady place to relax while I strolled along and shopped. I didn't have a cranky kid with sore feet or an overheated child, I lost 7 lbs pushing her while being able to indulge in yummy Disney treats, and everyone stayed in a happy, positive mood. I didn't read all the comments but most of them seemed to feel the way I do .. do what's best for your family and child without worrying about it. It's so much nicer to have a relaxed time than stress about what is considered proper etiquette. We're all disney-heads here and all have one goal... to have a great time at the world.

1984 first trip! off site
1988 college trip! off site
2006 MNSSHP @ ASMovies
2007 MNSSHP @ offsite time share
2008 MVMCP @ offsite time share
2009 MNSSHP @ ASMovies (mother/daughter trip! )
2010 TURKEYDAY! @ ASMovies & offsite time share
chipndales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #39
AuroraRosesMom
Yes, they named her after the dawn, for she filled their lives with sunshine.

The first time we took my daughter to WDW she was 6 and using a stroller was never a thought. She's small for her age but a very active, and energetic individual. If anything, we'd necessitate a stroller before she would probably. lol. My son is 2 and I plan on keeping his umbrella stroller for only another year really.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #40
AllieBoo
It's the truth, its actual....everything is satisfactual

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
to me it is just a safety thing...the crowds exiting the park are crazy and a 5 year old can easliy get seperated from the family...so yes..I am bringing one !
That's a good point!

Also, we have an older son, so with the age difference, we often end up staying late for EMH and the stroller lets her sleep if needed.

June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside - Royal Room!
June 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2010 - Coronado Springs
June 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
May 2007 Coronado Springs
June 2004 Ft. Wilderness Campground
June 2003 Polynesian
May 1986 Offsite
May 1979 Offsite
AllieBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #41
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Some people push their kids so hard that the children simply cannot physically stand it and need a place to sit down or they will just pass out. For people who simply will not stop for their children, a stroller is probably a good idea.

For children who aren't pushed too hard, an otherwise-healthy six year old will not need a stroller.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #42
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Some people push their kids so hard that the children simply cannot physically stand it and need a place to sit down or they will just pass out. For people who simply will not stop for their children, a stroller is probably a good idea.

For children who aren't pushed too hard, an otherwise-healthy six year old will not need a stroller.
I have to agree with this. We learned our lesson on our first trip with our 6 year old falling asleep doing anything... it was because we went commando and never really stopped. We haven't had an issue with that since and we've gone to WDW once and Sea World once. We probably will not be having a stroller when we go back. Our kids will be 6, 9, 9, and 16. If they get tired we will take a break and swim or have them play on a play ground.. which sounds like it would wear them out more, but both of those actually helped my kids energy levels.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #43
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

My DS, just turning 5,hasn't used a stroller in our day to day life since he was 2,but I rented one in WDW this past summer and it worked well for us. I will so the same this coming August when he'll be 5 1/2. We didn't use it all the time, we would park it in one area while we toured and then pick it up again when we were ready to move on. It was particularly handy walking back to our car or to our room.

Every kid is different and to each his own, but there is nothing ridiculous about a 6yo in a stroller at WDW.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #44
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominwife View Post
I was reading another thread and people are bringing strollers for their 6 year olds. I find this absolutely ridiculous I mean toveach their own but it got me nervous I'm taking my 6 year old DD this Jan and honestly a stroller never crossed my mind. What are others experiences with this?
~I would not bring a stroller for a Kindergartner or First grade child. I am a proud Disney Commando, our family tours "smarter" not harder.

~When my kids were 2 & 4, I brought one stroller that barely got used to the parks and we toured at their pace, so this eliminated the need to take breaks outside of what we normally planned -- also my kids had boatloads of energy when we were winded, lol.

~We never expect our kids to "keep up" with us. We tour the park at the kids pace and in accordance to their needs. With that said, I understand all kids are different and would never judge a child in a stroller. Have fun!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #45
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominwife View Post
I was reading another thread and people are bringing strollers for their 6 year olds. I find this absolutely ridiculous I mean toveach their own but it got me nervous I'm taking my 6 year old DD this Jan and honestly a stroller never crossed my mind. What are others experiences with this?
Really, I wouldn't let the posts on the DIS influence you. We took dd for the first time at the age of 4 and went most years thereafter without ever needing a stroller. We did go at her pace and took breaks at the hotel in the afternoons. As long as you don't plan on a breakneck commando pace, I've found the kids always have more energy than the adults.

Of course, dd is 22 now so when she's racing around, I remind her that I used to slow down to her pace and make her slow down to mine. Of course, she's now the one who makes comments to me when she sees big kids in strollers--"When I was a little kid, everyone was able to walk just fine." That's when I call her Grandma and ask if she had to walk uphill to school both ways, too.

OP--you'll be fine without a stroller.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: