Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

DD was 5 our first trip to Disney. She did fine. We brought an umbrella stroller the first day and it was a junk holder and just in the way. So we left it in the room after that.

I have beautiful pictures of her dancing under Mickey's Sorcerer's hat at DHS as we closed the park down in the wee hours of the morning one night. All the walking didn't bother her.

DS, on the other hand, who was 8 would have loved to have had a stroller
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
wahoostampingirl
DIS Veteran

My twins are 11, but we started going when they were 5. We used a stroller when they were 5 and 6. I wasn't going to use it when they were 6, but we were fighting colds while there and it helped when they needed a rest. I think a 6 year old could go either way, but if you don't use a stroller, keep in mind that your child might need frequent breaks, especially toward the end of the trip.

Have a great time!
wahoostampingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

My kids have used strollers for years and we aren't planning on bringing one for either of them in February. They'll be 5 and newly 7.

Both of them are incredibly tiny people - the 7 year old is maybe 42" and 35 lbs!!!

If either one of them just can't handle it throughout the trip we will reevaluate.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

It really all depends on how you plan to tour. I don't ever think a family's decision to do what works for them, especially if it's going to enhance their vacation enjoyment, is ridiculous. I know that's not what you meant, but so man people are quick to judge and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone cares enough to criticize another's decision.

Anyway....our kids are 5 and 2 and we take a Mac for our little guy. I did take a cheap umbrella for DD in Oct but she barely used it so I am leaving it home for our trip in a few weeks. We do walk a lot.....upwards of 10 miles/day and I'm a fast walker....drives DH nuts We've realized that for the most part, DD can keep up and it's not worth taking the stroller for her. If she needs it, we'll rent one. That said, I would rather a family take a stroller for an "older" child than to have meltdowns or have a day cut short because the kid is too tired. Remember, WDW is exhausting, especially for little legs
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
PAGAS
Mouseketeer

My daughter just turned 4 and we still bring a stroller. It is the only place we ever use a stroller with her, but it makes it so much easier, especially at the end of the day. I selfishly will be sad to abandon using a stroller. It is such an easy place to keep snacks and drinks.
Disneyland March 2014 * Coronado Springs May 2014 * Port Orleans August 2014 * Disneyland October 2014
PAGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Nebraska_Disney
Mouseketeer

We left the strollers at home when the kids turned 3. My daughter was 3 the first time w/ went w/out and toured hard for 8 days. She did not need the stroller and we did not need the clutter. It also forced us to travel "lighter" and not take as much stuff with us to the parks we did not need. Can you imagine how much easier the parks would be to tour if you did not have an excessive amount of "un-needed" strollers all over the place.

To each their own, but give it a try w/out and see how nice it actually is.
Nebraska_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominwife View Post
I was reading another thread and people are bringing strollers for their 6 year olds. I find this absolutely ridiculous I mean toveach their own but it got me nervous I'm taking my 6 year old DD this Jan and honestly a stroller never crossed my mind. What are others experiences with this?
We only rented a stroller when we took my niece when she was 3 and she never used it honestly and didn't get sleepy until close to midnight when the park closed.

I saw on my recent trip older kids with the leash. I do not get the point of having those, on older children at least. By a certain age they should be able to follow directions of hold my hand. I understand very young children with those...but I saw maybe a 5 or 6 year old with one.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Boski
Mouseketeer

My boys were 4 and 5 on our first trip and they were fine with no stroller. That being said you know your family better than anyone else so do what you think is best.
2012(August): Beach Club
2013(Sept): Beach Club
Boski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We have always brought our double stroller and will again on this trip (boys are 3 and 5). Our five year old doesn't ride in it much, but it's nice to have when his legs get tired. Sure beats CARRYING his 45 pounds! It was also nice if he got tired and fell asleep (which happened a few times). This year we have a new sit and stand stroller instead of a tandem double stroller so it's more of a "big kid" resting spot. I think it will work out MUCH better.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
Nebraska_Disney
Mouseketeer

The kids on "leashes" make me shake my head. Save the leashes for pets, not people.
Nebraska_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Not for sure if we will bring a stroller. DD will be 6 1/2 when we go. She is small for her age and her little legs get tired. We have teens in the family who like to go go go. Seems easier to bring a stroller so she can rest if she wants.

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_Disney View Post
The kids on "leashes" make me shake my head. Save the leashes for pets, not people.
Ruh roh...
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_Disney View Post
Have to disagree. . .the leash is a wonderful thing.

I mean, we don't put the choker chain on it when we're at Disney, but she knows we have it, just in case.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #29
brightvalleyjrts
DIS Veteran

We have always brought a double stroller. We have a younger child (he is now 3) but I can promise you my older boys fight for the other spot in the double stroller. LOL. It is a lot of walking for little legs. And especially if it is hot outside, they get tired quick. We were there in Sept of last year. My older boys were 6 and 8. They both took turns riding in the stroller a lot. LOL

This will be our first year going with a single stroller and I am honestly nervous about it. My boys are now 3, 7 and almost 10, but I know they will be bummed they have to walk the whole time. LOL

(for the record, my almost 10 year old is teeny tiny, so he doesn't look too ridiculous in a stroller. He only weighs 50 lbs and wears a size 7 clothes)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #30
Suellen
DIS Veteran

My five year old would be terribly embarrassed to be seen in a stroller. She hasn't had one at WdW since she turned three.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: