Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

Sorta of another stroller question

I hate to have to post this but here I go....

DD will be a week away from being 6 when we travel to WDW again in March. This will be her 8 th trip. She is a pro. But we have always had a stroller. Last year we bought a new one for the trip...it broke while in Disney.... My daughter is not heavy ..she weights 36 lbs wearing boots !!!!
I am thinking this time on making her walk.... But I know by 7 she will be done... I am not carrying her.... So I guess the stroller is more for me ! I must now buy one :-(
What if instead of buying one I bring her small wagon ? Will people hate me ? I also am flying SWA. So I don't see traveling problem.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia's mom
I hate to have to post this but here I go....

DD will be a week away from being 6 when we travel to WDW again in March. This will be her 8 th trip. She is a pro. But we have always had a stroller. Last year we bought a new one for the trip...it broke while in Disney.... My daughter is not heavy ..she weights 36 lbs wearing boots !!!!
I am thinking this time on making her walk.... But I know by 7 she will be done... I am not carrying her.... So I guess the stroller is more for me ! I must now buy one :-(
What if instead of buying one I bring her small wagon ? Will people hate me ? I also am flying SWA. So I don't see traveling problem.
Easy--wagons are not allowed inside WDW parks.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks! That is easy !
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

That was easy. If you need a stroller recommendation, esp. for one that is only going to be used once, try The First Years Jet. Folds easy, cheap, has a drink/zippered area and small under carriage. Holds to 50lbs, though not a problem w/your little one!

PS - sometimes when I read how much kids weigh on here I think I have a monster child! lol
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

I would let her try to walk. See how she does. Don't try to go camando style and make sure she wears broken in comfy shoes. If she does fade early, break down and rent a stroller. You'll have to have her walk to bus or car, but after a few hrs of lounging shell be ok.

At 6 both my girls were walking WDW and surprised me with how great they did. Let her show you, but have that back-up plan :-)
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

If she's almost 6 and weighs all of 36 pounds, I'm guessing her legs are short I'd buy a cheap stroller before you go. Having to do the whole rental thing at the park is a pain in the butt, not to mention they're bulky, uncomfortable and all look alike. Her legs will not keep up with yours. Let her walk some but the when she's tired, you'll have a seat for her. It's a long walk to the car, the bus, the room... at the end of the day if she's tired. If you rented a stroller at the park, you still have to do all those things after you return it. At the very least, you have a place to keep your things. I still take a stroller, and my DD, as been long since out of one. But I hate using lockers and going back and forth, and I'm not a backpack person. We'll stash our bag (ponchos, snack, water bottle...) in the stroller and leave it while we do rides and shows in one area and then grab the stroller and move on.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

You can also rent one for your trip from a place like Orlando Stroller Rentals or Kingdom Strollers. They drop them off at your resort and then pick them up from your resort at the end of your trip. The strollers we've rented were really nice and folded so easily. It worked well for us. My DD will be just 7 for our next trip and I think she will have to walk. My DS will still have a stroller - but I will miss hers because it is so convenient and makes me feel better in the crowds. I don't have to worry about losing her in the thick of things (like after the fireworks or at evening EMH). It can be so easy to get separated from the teenagers at that time, so I worry about it next year for her.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

buy the Jet..it is cheap enough, has cup holders (yay) and a basket to keep stuff in...yay ! My dd is 5 and I am bringing a stroller, she may not get in it but I will have a place to put my waters, coats, hats , gloves etc....
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

Have you ever had a problem with someone taking your stroller? Are you able to lock it to a fence while on a ride or in a show? Or is that really not a problem at WDW? I'll be taking my great-nephews in May. Will be my first time for stroller experience. I thought about buying cheap ones, since they will only be used at WDW.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
csummerlin55
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224
Have you ever had a problem with someone taking your stroller? Are you able to lock it to a fence while on a ride or in a show? Or is that really not a problem at WDW? I'll be taking my great-nephews in May. Will be my first time for stroller experience. I thought about buying cheap ones, since they will only be used at WDW.
We have always had either a stroller or wheelchair when at WDW. We have never had ours taken (knock on wood). We have had them moved by CMs to make more room in the stroller parking area but never taken. From what I have seen you can't lock them up. I have heard of them being stolen but have even only read of that happening a few times.
csummerlin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

I think I will be looking at the jet. I have a problem with the really cheap 10 dollar strollers... Scale and proportion... Pushing these strollers makes me look 15 pounds heavier and I wind up hunched over from pushing this "doll" stroller.

My DD is 43 inches tall and has long legs. she suffers from severe leg cramps after LOTS of walking or a trip to the bouncy house.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I'd go with the "rent one in the parks if necessary" plan, to be honest. Just take it slow, take breaks, etc.

Yes - the park strollers kinda stink, but it your scenario, not a bad choice. She may be a smaller kid - but SHE knows her age and I'm not sure she would be thrilled to be in a stroller much.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224 View Post
As someone else said, you can't lock them to any structure, but we have one of those bike locks that's a chain wit the spin tumblers. . . We weaved it through the back wheels. It allows the CMs to still move the stroller, but deters any would be thieves from taking off with it. It wouldn't absolutely keep it from getting stolen, but why grab the one with the lock that keeps the back wheels from moving, when there are 100 others to take.

We did that one day on our first trip with a stroller. . .and never have since, too much of a hassle and totally not worth it. Don't leave valuables in the stroller, and use a cheapo one, that also serves as a deterant. Just make sure that it is easily identifiable. When the CM's move them, if yours looks too generic, it will become a bear to find.

mattsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
mousejunkie98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat View Post
buy the Jet..it is cheap enough, has cup holders (yay) and a basket to keep stuff in...yay ! My dd is 5 and I am bringing a stroller, she may not get in it but I will have a place to put my waters, coats, hats , gloves etc....
That's what I miss about having a stroller!! The basket and the cupholders Our boys are 6 and 9 and we haven't used a stroller since the youngest was 4. I make the DH carry a backpack now, but it's not the same as having that basket and cupholders!
Feb. 2013 Art of Animation / Nov. 2012 - Polynesian, Contemporary / May 2012 - Aulani / Dec. 2011 - POFQ / Sept. 2011 - Contemporary, Disney Dream, CSR / May, 2011 - Disney Dream, AKL, Boardwalk / Sept. 2010 - Disney Wonder / 2010 - Jan, Polynesian; June, CBR; Sept. AKL / 2006 - Fort Wilderness Cabin / 2001 & 2002 - offsite / 2000 - Wilderness Lodge / 1998 - Honeymoon at the Lodge! / 1995 - Wilderness Lodge / 1981 - 1st trip to WDW!
mousejunkie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

We've been going every year since our son was 2 (now 7). He's needed a stroller every single time (this summer in DLR because he was recovering from a virus and just didn't have the energy during our trip to walk all day...and we took LOTS of hotel breaks.)

Depending on the length of your trip, it is cheaper to purchase a stroller at the park. I think it's 3 days that it makes more sense to buy - I don't recall what their rental price is, but they sell folding umbrella strollers for around $40. They have a small bag on the back for storage, a (single) cup holder and with your child's weight, no issues there. We've bought one most trips, then take it home with us - if it gets damaged when gate checked or parts are lost (we've had lost cup holders and torn handle grips/storage compartments), it's not a "good" stroller from home. We've then left strollers with grandparents, given them to friends in need, etc.
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: