Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
dharma517
Mouseketeer

We brought home more than memories..lol

We had a fantastic time on our cruise (Disney Fantasy 12/8-12/15) western. We were a party of 10 (4 adults, 6 kids). I could go on and on and gush over everything but I wanted to pass on one piece of advice for the germaphobes.

I am an RN and I am so so careful about hand washing, wipes, not holding hand rails, buffet serving utensils, elevator buttons etc. I am a freak I will admit it but with 4 kids if one gets sick it runs the house.

Anyway. On the last two nights of our cruise our server was "sick" and unable to work. Well.....the day we got off the cruise 48 hours later all 10 of us got sick with flu like symptoms (not GI). Varying degrees of illness from just annoying to 104 fever. Two kids now have been swabbed positive for influenza B. All 10 of us had vaccinations. One child (healthy no history of asthma) went on to get very ill with pneumonia and two others required antibiotic for secondary infections.

So I wondered what on earth could we have done to prevent this? The only thing I can think of would to have been to bring actual hand sanitizer to the dinner table and literally squirt it into our hands before touching anything. The other mother in our group is quite upset and I will admit it is crazy that we all got knocked down within hours of each other like bowling pins.

Trying to talk her into another cruise is now difficult. My only saving grace is that we didn't get noro...lol.

Hopefully this will save someone the aggravation of an entire family being ill just after vacation....bring the sanitizer to the table. Maybe (or maybe not) it will help.
dharma517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Annette_C
Mouseketeer

Sorry you all got ill. We went on the Fantasy in July and were very impressed by being handed a wipe upon entering any and all dining areas. Are they still doing that? Like you said, I really can't think of anything else that could be done to prevent contamination. Could you have gotten the virus anywhere else...while traveling home maybe?

DVC Member since 2005
First Disney Cruise: Fantasy, July 7, 2012! :cheer2:
Annette_C is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

We were on the same ship that week and all 3 of us have been sick with horrible colds/coughs since the last morning of the cruise. It's been 2 weeks already and we can't shake it off. Our server was not sick though. I assumed my DD who is 4 would get sick since she was in the kids club a lot but my husband and I were very careful about the germs and we still got sick.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
dharma517
Mouseketeer

They are totally on the ball with the hand wipes ....everywhere. We began feeling ill the day we got off the ship and there is an incubation period for flu B. I thought maybe the kids club? who knows. we all felt ill on the same day...all 10 of us. The fact that our server was mia for two days and sick preceding that leads me to believe that was it. The hand wipes coming in would not have helped us if she served us our food. It doesn't really matter in reality but I was just thinking of ways to prevent getting illness from your food server. I have images in my mind of her picking up my children's utensils and cutting their food...then them using those utensils.

ETA: we flew in from two different cities

Last edited by dharma517; 12-29-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
dharma517
Mouseketeer

Even if it is the flu B ...you can't really treat it unless you get a secondary infection and then it will only treat the secondary infection. It is just going to take time. We are all still full of crap as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejh1016 View Post
We were on the same ship that week and all 3 of us have been sick with horrible colds/coughs since the last morning of the cruise. It's been 2 weeks already and we can't shake it off. Our server was not sick though. I assumed my DD who is 4 would get sick since she was in the kids club a lot but my husband and I were very careful about the germs and we still got sick.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Any place you have a large number of people from a variety of locations is a prime location for transmitting various diseases. Its entirely possible to contract something from other guests as well as the crew.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
lmsull65
Earning My Ears

You can get sick any where. To not go on another cruise because of it seems crazy. Who knows how many people you infected, since usually you are most contagious before you even have symptoms.
lmsull65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Annette_C
Mouseketeer

Personally, I think that we get more illnesses from flying than anything else! lol Call me paranoid but I avoid traveling during the winter months (when flu, etc, is at its prime) for the reason OKW lover mentioned above.

DVC Member since 2005
First Disney Cruise: Fantasy, July 7, 2012! :cheer2:
Annette_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Isn't influenza a respiratory virus? If so, your hand washing would have little or nothing to do with protecting yourself--you get it from inhaling droplets in the air. Were you all on the same flight on the way home? I have a horrible history of getting sick after flights--you are basically in a tin can exposed to everyone's coughs, etc.

Sure, it could have come from the ship....it could have related to the "sick" server (be aware that sick is a common excuse any time a server is MIA)....but it could have come from other sources either on or off the ship.

Sounds like you did all you could toward prevention. Hand sanitizer won't do much for respiratory junk though. The ship is trying to prevent GI crud with that approach.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
vacationsitis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma517 View Post
We had a fantastic time on our cruise (Disney Fantasy 12/8-12/15) western. We were a party of 10 (4 adults, 6 kids). I could go on and on and gush over everything but I wanted to pass on one piece of advice for the germaphobes.

I am an RN and I am so so careful about hand washing, wipes, not holding hand rails, buffet serving utensils, elevator buttons etc. I am a freak I will admit it but with 4 kids if one gets sick it runs the house.

Anyway. On the last two nights of our cruise our server was "sick" and unable to work. Well.....the day we got off the cruise 48 hours later all 10 of us got sick with flu like symptoms (not GI). Varying degrees of illness from just annoying to 104 fever. Two kids now have been swabbed positive for influenza B. All 10 of us had vaccinations. One child (healthy no history of asthma) went on to get very ill with pneumonia and two others required antibiotic for secondary infections.

So I wondered what on earth could we have done to prevent this? The only thing I can think of would to have been to bring actual hand sanitizer to the dinner table and literally squirt it into our hands before touching anything. The other mother in our group is quite upset and I will admit it is crazy that we all got knocked down within hours of each other like bowling pins.

Trying to talk her into another cruise is now difficult. My only saving grace is that we didn't get noro...lol.

Hopefully this will save someone the aggravation of an entire family being ill just after vacation....bring the sanitizer to the table. Maybe (or maybe not) it will help.

We were on Fantasy from 12/15 to 12/22 & all 4 of us had cold, cough & flu. It is very hard when you have so many people in such a small place. Also, our flu shots are not as effective as we might not have immunity against organisms from other parts of the world.
vacationsitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

Our assistant server was out "sick" one night but it turned out it was just her knee gave out. She wasnt actually sick sick.
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
divaprincess
Earning My Ears

I have a primary immune deficiency (PIDD) & having to be VERY careful with germs I can tell you that there is such a thing as being too anal about germs. You may be doing your family more harm then good by hand sanitizing, wiping everything & ODing everything in Lysol. And yes to a PP, influenza is spread through droplets. You could have gotten it from anyone. Be thankful you all did get the flu shot or your symptoms could have been 100x worse.

divaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharma517 View Post

Handwipes and sanitizers will not help with airborn viruses.... Hope everyone is well now?

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
barbarasc
CruiseCrazy

wonder if it is just that "time of year". We sailed on the RC Freedom of the Seas on Dec 2nd and by the time we returned home my husband was sick with a awful cold and within days I had it. We ran fevers too. We were thankful we all had our flu shots as we think it could have been MUCH worse!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #15
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

I've been on the Fantasy twice. The first time was this summer, and by the day before the last day, I started to come down with something. By the time I got home, I had a nasty cold, cough, and mild fever. I was gone from work for a week, and I don't get sick easily (only the second time I missed work due to illness in 10 years). There's no doubt I picked it up on the cruise. I had hand sanitizer with me and used it at the table, in addition to the wipes they give you at the entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationsitis View Post
We were on Fantasy from 12/15 to 12/22 & all 4 of us had cold, cough & flu.
I was also on that cruise, and did NOT get sick this time. After the last time, I did a bit of reading, and was extra careful. My increased measures were: wash hands frequently with warm water and soap, including each and every time when returning to the stateroom and before meals if not coming directly from the stateroom. Use hand sanitizer frequently, including immediately after returning from buffet and using the serving utensils there. Avoid touching mouth, nose, or eyes unless immediately after hand washing. Push elevator button with knuckle instead of fingertip in case I inadvertently scratch eye or nose with finger before washing.

My sample size is way too small to know if my increased measures did the trick, but I certainly felt better about them, knowing that there wasn't much more I could do.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: