Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
mmmhf
Earning My Ears

Are Extra Magic Hours Worth Staying On Site?

Hi everyone! Sorry if already posted but I can't really find the answer i am looking for. New to posting but been lurking for a while. My family (me, DH, DD-7, DS-6) are going to Disney June 2-13, 2013. We can't decide if we should stay on site or at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I have looked at all the options and I know about the discount that will be released to the general public on January 3. Even with that discount and including paying for parking, we would still come out around $200 cheaper to stay at WBC than a value. We would stay moderate or deluxe so WBC is a better monetary value for us. I can't decide what to do. We always drive to the parks so the transportation is not a factor. The only thing causing me to pause is losing extra magic hours. Are the extra magic hours worth it for that time period? We have always stayed on site but for a ten day trip I just don't know if we can handle that cramped of a space.

We have rarely used the extra magic hours (never use morning extra magic hours) and rarely evening, but we have always been during cooler, less crowded times (October/November). This is our first summer trip so the crowds and heat are making we wonder if we would want to use EMH. We are planning on visiting the water parks and all four parks plus a trip to Sea World and maybe universal. We are go all day kind of people but I think midday breaks may be necessary due to the heat. So again will we need the extra magic hours? I am using touring plans and EasyWDW to plan touring days and they seem to recommend avoiding extra magic hours. Confused. Please help!

Also, how do dining reservations and extra magic hours work? I have a couple of 8:15 reservations but if they add morning extra magic hours on that day will I lose my dining reservation since I am not an on site guest.

Thanks!
mmmhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

I personally love EMH, if you can get up early enough for AM EMH you should be able to do a lot as people are more likely to sleep in than get up early.
People have posted here about their trip to MK Christmas Day. Yes it was very, very busy, but it had an AM EMH at 7am. People who went at that time on Christmas Day said they were able to get a lot done for the first 2 hours or so.
I'm also a big fan of evening EMH, if you can stay for the duration, the last hour can be great if say, MK is open until 1,2,3AM, even if it has been crazy busy at the parks.
I'm a big believer in getting to a park at RD, grabbing lunch at 10:30-11AM, then depending on how busy it is, leave around 1PM. That may depend on whether you want to see 3PM parade. Then going back around 5PM for the rest of the evening after a nice break/power nap.
Just incase you aren't aware, evening EMH will be reduced from 3 hours to 2 in 2013, this may or may not affect your touring plans.
Hope this helps and you have a great trip! :D
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

We love EMH and usually stay late at least a couple of nights. The kids remember the park almost empty and being able to "stay up late". Once we were there till park close at 3AM. It will depend on if you think you will actually use the hours or not. If you are going when at busy times, I would say use them and get the must do's in with AM EMH and then use whatever PM EMH you feel comfortable. If going at the slower times, it may not be as important.

With your trip in the summer, PM EMH would allow you to tour when the sun is down and less crowded. I would say for an extra $200 it would be worth it to stay "on site". Have a good trip.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Great questions. I actually wrote about this on the DIS Unplugged's blog recently. You can find my thoughts here:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/06/...-dust-or-bust/

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We avoid EMH because more people typically go to those parks on those days. We usually go to the parks that don't have EMH on a given day. Not sure about the reservation question.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
mmmhf
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the answers and the blog link. I am still undecided but I looked at times and EMH are only until 10, 11 or midnight and not every night like peak summer. That negates the up until 3 am option, which I think we would definitely enjoy. So may be leaning toward Bonnet Creek. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I think EMH work best if you can hop. I like to go to the EMH morning park and leave to a different park without EMH around 11:00 or noon. The only evening EMH I like is MK in the summer because of the late close 2:00 am at times. But with the change from three hours to two hours evening EMH -- I am not sure.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I always stay onsite, but always prefer the low crowd parks so as to get more done, with less crowds.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Ryansdad0727
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmhf View Post
Thanks for all the answers and the blog link. I am still undecided but I looked at times and EMH are only until 10, 11 or midnight and not every night like peak summer. That negates the up until 3 am option, which I think we would definitely enjoy. So may be leaning toward Bonnet Creek. Thanks again.
Disney usually changes the schedule anywhere from 1 week to 1 month in advance. Early June is not the most crowded time but look back at previous years on wdwinfo to see if the park hours were extended for those dates. EMH may run into the early morning hours.
Polynesian: 1992, Port Orleans: Riverside August 2004, Old Key West: July 2009, Old Key West: December 2010, Treehouse Villas at SSR: December 2011, Old Key West: March 2012, Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge: July 2012, SSR: July 2012, Boardwalk Villas: March 2014, Bay Lake Tower: July 2014
Ryansdad0727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Yes.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
JAG107
Mouseketeer

I'd take the hotel you want at the price that makes you happiest over EMH. We always stay onsite because we don't drive, like the Disney hotels and are now DVC owners. EMH is never a concern for us as we rarely get up for RD, let alone an hour earlier! The PM EMH is tough as we have small kids. Touring plans usually says to avoid the parks with EMH those days, logically more on site guests will be going to those making them more crowded. MK til 3am was fun before we had kids and it may be a plus to be out after sundown if you're going during summer though. Also don't know if you'll have to pay for parking or not if you stay offsite, don't know if that's a factor for you costwise. I think either way you'll have a great experience!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
mmmhf
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansdad0727

Disney usually changes the schedule anywhere from 1 week to 1 month in advance. Early June is not the most crowded time but look back at previous years on wdwinfo to see if the park hours were extended for those dates. EMH may run into the early morning hours.
I didn't think to look back! Thanks! Will definitely do that.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Bonnet creek is great, and they have shuttles. I wouldn't chose on site just for EMH. There really should other good reasons for that decision. That is completely opposite advice from Larryz lengthy reply!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 12-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
roost0524
Earning My Ears

EMH are not all they are cracked up to be, and often have long lines. We have stayed on site for the past few trips, but find ourselves using EMH very rarely. We stay on property for many other reasons, but EHM are really just a nice benefit if we happen to be awake while they are going on. I would not plan my trip based on being able to use them. If you get up early, you will get the same effect.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
vdoucet78
Mouseketeer

We usually avoid EMH even when staying on-site. We find the added crowds are not worth the extra hours. We do them every now and then, but not enough for it to make our decision to stay on-site. That being said, we love staying on-site for other reasons! Of course, it's just me and DH right now. If we have kids, I'd consider staying offsite for the extra space and second bathroom!
12/13 Port Orleans Riverside - Alligator Bayou
12/14 Caribbean Beach Resort
vdoucet78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: