Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Platos closet

Anyone buy or sell their clothes there?
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

My friend's teens love it there and adore Plato's Closet gift cards for their birthdays. I buy some stuff there. I'm in my 30s but like some of the styles I find there. (No, I don't turn up my nose at something because it says Aeropostale on the tag). My husband's uber-trendy 40-something yr old best friend always walks out with more stuff than his teen daughters.

I ADORE their shoes. They have awesome shoes there Last time I also picked up the most awesome little Coach wallet there for $12. Pricey but so worth it because it would have been super hard to find something like that anywhere else.

Prices are OK. A little on the high side. But I am sometimes willing to pay it because selection and atmosphere is also very good.

I do the bulk of my shopping at local thrift stores though and consider Plato's Closet a bit of a splurge.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
MSLRAC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
I get DD10 stuff there all the time and I've gotten DH a few things. I've never gotten anything for myself there but I have gotten stuff next door at Clothes Mentor...same concept as Plato's but for women (Lilly P, Banana, White House Black Market, J Jill, BCBG, Coach, etc).
DCL Fantasy ~ Oct 2013 Oct 2014
Poly ~ Oct 2015
MSLRAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
lauradis
DIS Veteran

I love their bag sales. normally $5-10 for anything you can fit into a smaller then grocery store bag.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

My daughter has. Anyone know when the next "bag sale" is going to be?
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

I bought one of my favorite coats there. I had to dry clean it once I bought it because it was really wrinkled and wool doesn't straighten out easily. I love the coat!

Lisa
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I have both bought and sold for my boys.

I think it is hit or miss for both. Selling all depends on who is looking at your stuff. I have had times when they took everything, and times when they are incredibly picky.

As for buying- In all honesty, the men's selection at our store is crap. I have seem some really junky stuff on the racks, which is why I get annoyed when they don't take my stuff, which is way nicer!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
No selling MY clothes there. They only take trendy teen styles.

As far as buying, I will admit to buying some jeans there. My dd's have shopped there and if I see something I like, sometimes I give it a go.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
I have both bought and sold for my boys.

I think it is hit or miss for both. Selling all depends on who is looking at your stuff. I have had times when they took everything, and times when they are incredibly picky.

As for buying- In all honesty, the men's selection at our store is crap. I have seem some really junky stuff on the racks, which is why I get annoyed when they don't take my stuff, which is way nicer!!
It's been hit or miss for me as well.

I had my son's khaki cargo shorts from American Eagle that still had tags on them. Even though they had never been worn they would not accept them because they were from the year before. Apparently they can tell by looking at tags what year they are from. They also turned down brand new Hollister shirts still with tags because they were from the previous year. They weren't anything that could go out of style so I was kind of puzzled.

It kind of irritated me because as far as I can tell, boys khaki cargo shorts have looked the same for years! Plus, a lot of stuff on the racks looked really worn for the prices they were charging. I just wasn't impressed, but it could be just our particular store.

My kids have outgrown the whole Hollister/AE/A&F thing anyway so it is kind of a moot point for me now.

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

My dd buys her jeans there. They are in good condition at a good price.

Everything else is in lousy condition, to be honest. Worn tee shirts, pilly hoodies, etc.

And yet, they refused my dd's clothes in excellent, sometimes brand new, condition every time we tried to sell them. They were this season's clothes too (she had relatives who would send her the wrong size clothes). She asked around and it turned out that no one she knew had been able to sell their clothes there.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I've sold a ton of clothing there and can attest to the fact that they're incredibly selective as to what they'll take. If a pair of jeans so much has a thread hanging they'll pass. If the trend passed two seconds ago they'll pass. It can be frustrating to sell there when you have brand new items and a SA decides that the top or whatever isn't trendy enough. I've purchased denim and denim capris there too, all of them in excellent condition. The tops, sweaters, hoodies, etc. I've always passed on as everything I see looks worn out (faded, stretched, pilling).

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
Vernie822
DIS Veteran

I have been selling there for years. I'm 23, so in the past I've sold things such as Hollister, A&F, AE. I now sell my Express and AE stuff there. It is extremely frustrating when you go in there and see things on the shelves that you would never consider purchasing, not because they're not your style, but because the condition is terrible! Then I'll give them my basket, and I'll get half of it back because my stuff isn't in good condition (when it is) or it's not what they're looking for.

I like to sell once or twice a year when seasons change and I clean my closet, but it can be frustrating. My boyfriend went there recently with a ton of stuff that he cleaned out of his closet when he moved. Nike, Adidas, Hollister, American Eagle. Even a few Express sweaters. He had received two men's Express sweaters (that you'd probably wear a dress shirt under) as a Christmas gift less than a year before. One was navy, one was sea blue, but both were the same exact style. They still had tags on them. She took the navy but claimed the blue one was out of style. Ridiculous!

I also notice that sometimes they won't take your stuff if they simply don't need it. For example, if they're looking for summer clothes and you bring in sweaters from winter, they may not take them because they just don't have the need for those things at the time. I usually take my stuff to them twice, and if they won't take it, it goes to Goodwill.

Trip Report In Progress: A Very Magical Disney Proposal.. September 2014
Dining Report: Is there a fast pass for the margarita booth? 7 Days of DDP + Food and Wine

POFQ Girls Trip - March 2015
Polynesian - September 2015

1994 Offsite // 1999 Disney Institute // 2001 Offsite // 2002 Offsite // 2008 All Star Sports // 2014 CSR
Vernie822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

I agree, I think the selection process is based on inventory and season. I've emptied my eBay stuff on them and depending on who's there and what they want they'll either take it or turn their nose up. I HATE going there because of the tacky atmosphere (at least the one near me in Atlanta is) but sometimes I like to get rid of lots of clothes and that's an easier way than putting it up on eBay.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
traces7
DIS Veteran

We've had pretty good luck selling DD's clothes there. We take a bag every couple months and they buy 7-12 items and we get $25-$40 usually. So it's worth it to us! I used to try and sell her clothes at rummage sales, but would only get maybe $1.50 at the most for jeans and less than $1.00 for other clothing. So, we really like Plato's Closet. Sometimes you do have to try a couple times before they buy something though and you never know what they'll buy so we try everything a couple times.
traces7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: