Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #31
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55 View Post
You're welcome. Another tip which I find saves a lot of time is to sign up with Dollar Express. Once you sign up and are issued a number, you can skip the Dollar rental counter at the airport. You instead go straight to the garage where the cars are kept, go to the kiosk to check in and within minutes are given the keys to a car. Initially you may have to show them the credit card which you used to book your car...can't remember. We love it!
Excellent. I will definitely take advantage of that. Anything to get us out of the airport quicker Do they give you instructions on how to get to the kiosks by any chance??? We have only been to Orlando once before and were picked up by Disney ME. I envision running around in circles with 3 tired kids and a grumpy hubby in tow!!

FiveofusNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
medic5399
Earning My Ears

Budget BCD x474200 6/7/13 @ MCO to 6/13/13 @ Cape Canveral
Compact: $264
Intermediate: $275
Full Size:$293
Premium:$300
Mini-Van:$300!!!!
Standard SUV:$300!!!!!
medic5399 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #33
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveofusNL View Post
Excellent. I will definitely take advantage of that. Anything to get us out of the airport quicker Do they give you instructions on how to get to the kiosks by any chance??? We have only been to Orlando once before and were picked up by Disney ME. I envision running around in circles with 3 tired kids and a grumpy hubby in tow!!

I posted an answer last evening but for some reason it's not here. Must have been the 30 inches of snow we got from Friday through this morning! The signs for the car rental pickup should be behind you when you get your luggage. Take the escalator down and leave the building. Look for signs for the car rental pickup garage. You walk a bit along the sidewalk and then you cross the road towards the garage. All of the car rentals are in one area...just follow signs towards Dollar or whichever one you choose. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #34
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55 View Post
The signs for the car rental pickup should be behind you when you get your luggage. Take the escalator down and leave the building. Look for signs for the car rental pickup garage. You walk a bit along the sidewalk and then you cross the road towards the garage. All of the car rentals are in one area...just follow signs towards Dollar or whichever one you choose. Good luck!
Perfect. That should be no trouble to find. Thanks again! Good luck digging out from the snow...we got hit on Saturday with two colliding systems. 25 cm of snow in 8 hours followed by ice pellets and then freezing rain. We have had a lot of that this winter. Soooo looking forward to my Florida vacation.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
wdw&sonny
DIS Veteran

To all newbies:

Disneygal55 has great advice. Reread her posts.

1. In general, prices get better closer to the departure date.

2. No harm in making multiple reservations, just cancel when you find better rate. Keep checking until the day before.

3. Some of the rental car companies are located at the airport and others are offsite (you take a shuttle), costing you valuable Disney time.

4. It is not uncommon to be upgraded to a larger car (usually a minivan). Don't plan on it, but if you can do with a mid-size, you may end up w/ minivan. (Has happened to us 3 out of 4 times w/ Dollar).

4. Also, just want to reiterate the idea of joining Dollar Express (or maybe other rental car companies have similar programs). It's free...do it from your computer while at home when you have the time.

5. While some of your party gets luggage, others go get the car (if on site).

In 2005; our first WDW trip, like newbies, we all went and waited for luggage, then we all went downstairs to the Dollar counter where I anxiously waited with many others for 30-45 precious minutes to get the car. I watched as a few people sped through the Dollar Express line, wondering what made them so special.

After seeing a tip on these boards about Dollar Express, for our 2007 trip, I joined Dollar Express: fill out an on-line form and get a card in the mail. Since then, while the others in my party wait for the bags, I go to Dollar Express get the car. I am usually done before they have the bags. Saves 45 minutes.
wdw&sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #36
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5399
Budget BCD x474200 6/7/13 @ MCO to 6/13/13 @ Cape Canveral
Compact: $264
Intermediate: $275
Full Size:$293
Premium:$300
Mini-Van:$300!!!!
Standard SUV:$300!!!!!
I just read all the reviews for Budget at MCO... Scary.... Bad customer service and secret upgrades being charged... Worried... I have a reservation through Avis for 300 more... I might keep that to avoid the mess....anyone else have a bad experience with Budget?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #37
FiveofusNL
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the tips wdw&sonny! This grateful newbie welcomes any and all advice

Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw&sonny View Post
To all newbies:

Disneygal55 has great advice. Reread her posts.

2. No harm in making multiple reservations, just cancel when you find better rate. Keep checking until the day before.
The only thing potential bad about this is it has the potential to keep rates high if EVERYONE does it. Supply & Demand. Lots of outstanding reservations=lots of demand which drives rates up. I have seen people comment that they have multiple reservations & will keep the best one. Whatever you do, DONT do that. It just creates artificial demand.
Book one ressie and keep checking if you find something better, then rebook & cancel the first ressie. Help keep rates down for everyone.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
I just read all the reviews for Budget at MCO... Scary.... Bad customer service and secret upgrades being charged... Worried... I have a reservation through Avis for 300 more... I might keep that to avoid the mess....anyone else have a bad experience with Budget?
I've rented from both Budget and Avis at MCO & other places with no problems or hard sell. I've actually had the most problems with Alamo at MCO. LIke anything, ymmv.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcoupons

I've rented from both Budget and Avis at MCO & other places with no problems or hard sell. I've actually had the most problems with Alamo at MCO. LIke anything, ymmv.
I have a reservation with avis for two weeks in june for a minivan for $1046. I just made one with budget for the same exact dates for $589. Big difference. Im just wondering why. They both say a dodge caravan.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I want to cancel one but im not sure i like the reviews for budget so its off to do some research.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #42
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelcoupons View Post
The only thing potential bad about this is it has the potential to keep rates high if EVERYONE does it. Supply & Demand. Lots of outstanding reservations=lots of demand which drives rates up. I have seen people comment that they have multiple reservations & will keep the best one. Whatever you do, DONT do that. It just creates artificial demand.
Book one ressie and keep checking if you find something better, then rebook & cancel the first ressie. Help keep rates down for everyone.
I never have more than one reservation at a time. I change it only if I find a better one.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #43
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryalluvdiz View Post
I have a reservation with avis for two weeks in june for a minivan for $1046. I just made one with budget for the same exact dates for $589. Big difference. Im just wondering why. They both say a dodge caravan.
Avis is expensive for all dates i've checked @ MCO. Budget is my last choice out of MCO based upon personal experience with condition of vehicles, not to mention the attempts at aggressive upsale at desk...just say no, repeatedly. Make sure to inspect the vehicle (outside and in) and mark any issues you find on your paperwork and have their rep sign off on it before you leave to the lot to avoid any misunderstanding as how you took possession of the car.

lots of advice here but it's def a YMMV situation. A rental car is truly one of the variables where you can save $ on a vacation. imo if you want the best price you really need to spend some time plugging in the codes/coupons.

We travel several times a year to MCO during popular times and have never gotten any of the amazing last minute deals that others seem to find. I regularly monitor the prices and typically find a good rate 5 months out. As date nears I can often shave off a bit from it if i keep repricing with possible hot code/coupon that happens to be making the rounds.

Tending to book alamo or national midsize or fullsize, haven't seen a minivan on those aisles in years with spotty SUVs sightings. I feel for those who need to secure mini-vans that tend to be so pricey. I need to book something to hold 5 people and cruise/park luggage next January, not looking forward to that quest lol.

As for those who worry about people holding multiple reservations anything over two could be deemed excessive, although i'm willing to bet that the rental companies have figured out the cancellation/actual pickup ratio at this location. Perhaps the last minute cancellations attribute to the amazing rates many report?

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #44
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

[QUOTE=keishashadow;47471349] Budget is my last choice out of MCO based upon personal experience with condition of vehicles, not to mention the attempts at aggressive upsale at desk...just say no, repeatedly. Make sure to inspect the vehicle (outside and in) and mark any issues you find on your paperwork and have their rep sign off on it before you leave to the lot to avoid any misunderstanding as how you took possession of the car.
QUOTE]

Off topic, but just wondering: Last Oct we booked a premium car through Alamo. When we went to choose the car they had only three left. This was a about 3:00pm on a Saturday at MCO. All three had scratches and two of them had pretty significant dents. I wanted the Nissan, but it was one of the ones that had several dents on it, so went with the one that had only the scratches. I took pictures of the scratches and as we were exiting the garage mentioned them to the agent at the gate, asking him to initial something showing that the car already had scratches on it, but he refused, saying he was not allowed to do so. What do you do in that circumstance? I'd hate to be charged for damage that I was not responsible for.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #45
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

aubriee

on the back of paperwork that's in the car I draw a diagram showing position of any specific dents/damage or just specific notation (ex: multiple scratches on trunk, right front fender, etc.), then take a picture.

I then hand it over to attendant at gate and request that they initial it. Never had anybody refuse to do so (most do an eye-rolland indicate they have records on file of every vehicle's condition) but if they did i'd request that a supervisor be summoned before I left the lot. We last rented from Alamo in MCO last October too (pre-columbus day)

We had issue few years ago of same nature you describe as to pickings being slim @ MCO and had to accept a vehicle with a dent. We didn't have anybody sign off but did mention it to attendant and told it wouldn't be a problem. HA! It was resolved in our favor after I contacted corporate after we returned home. They explained that rarely they do err in notating damage to a car when it's returned but...we were told it's always a good inspect the car and follow the above protocol to avoid any future discrepancies as to car's condition.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: