Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
misslissa
DIS Veteran

I don't take a lot of medications and I don't get much motionsickness at all.

On our first cruise, I thought I was tough and didn't take anything... I was fine until after dinner, then sat down for the show and could hardly stand up at the end, I was so dizzy! I went back to the room (was sick), took some Bonine once and never had to take it again on our 7 night cruise.

This happened on my first night of our second cruise too. I heard this is because when leaving Canaveral there is a certain area of the 'gulfstream' or something that the ship has to 'pass over' just after dinner that makes it choppy, a lot of people are just getting used to the sea and have a hard time around this time.

So, now I just take it right before getting on the first day and that is the only time I need it. It only cost me a Palo dinner and a bottle of wine to learn. I lost it about an hour after eating it... now I book Palo on the second night.
May 2007 - Pop Century Resort/Saratoga Springs Resort
May 2008 - First Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean
February 2009 - Polynesian Resort
January 2013 - Port Orleans/Disney Dream (with baby)
June 2013 - Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando (with baby)
August 2013 - Joined DVC
February 2014 - First stay at home - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
misslissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

So do you get at Walmart or CVS? Has anyone had any side effects, drowsiness? I think I'm going to get it just incase. If it does make you drowsy is it just as effective if you take it before bed? Does it interact with other medications or alcohol?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

On our first cruise, I didn't want to take it unless I knew I would need it, but I had the Bonine ready just in case. I have inner ear problems even on land. So I had a feeling I would have issues at sea.
As soon as the ship started moving, I knew I was going to need the Bonine. So I began taking it then. By that evening at dinner, I was fine. My poor brother waited until it was really bad and ended up in bed through dinner that first night. He was fine by morning once the Bonine kicked in.

Since that first cruise, I always take Bonine starting the day before we sail. I've never had any ill affects from it. I get drowsy with Dramamine, but never have with Bonine.

As others have said, you should check with your doctor and make sure Bonine will be safe for you to take.

I'd say that it would be safe for you to wait until on board to see if you need it, but it may be different for everyone. If you tend to get motion sickness and you think you'll have issues, I would just start taking it the day before to be safe. As long as you have no negative side affects, I say better safe than sorry!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
sonogal
Mouseketeer

I don't have any problems with motion sickness on the ships. However I did have to take meclizine (name for Bonine) once for a really bad sinus infection. I took 2 pills on a Friday night and was pretty much out cold until Sunday afternoon. I only woke to use the bathroom and eat a little something but could barely hold my head up due to being so sleepy. Yes it worked for the associated dizziness but there's no way I could take it on a ship and still function to enjoy myself.

And whatever you do, don't mix with alcohol.

You could try the wrist bands that I've heard help or ginger tablets. I agree with the others to try it ahead of time to see how you react.
2007 Sandals Dunn's River Jamaica
2008 El Dorado Royale Mexico
2009 Carnival Inspiration
2009 Carnival Liberty
2010 Disney Wonder
2010 RCL Liberty of the Seas
2011 Carnival Destiny
2011 Disney Wonder
2011 Oasis of the Seas
2012 Freedom of the Seas
2013 Disney Fantasy
sonogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I grew up in Florida and we ocean fished a lot. A captain told us to take the Dramamine the night before because it stays in your system for 24 hours and it helps you sleep.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonogal View Post
I don't have any problems with motion sickness on the ships. However I did have to take meclizine (name for Bonine) once for a really bad sinus infection. I took 2 pills on a Friday night and was pretty much out cold until Sunday afternoon. I only woke to use the bathroom and eat a little something but could barely hold my head up due to being so sleepy. Yes it worked for the associated dizziness but there's no way I could take it on a ship and still function to enjoy myself.

And whatever you do, don't mix with alcohol.

You could try the wrist bands that I've heard help or ginger tablets. I agree with the others to try it ahead of time to see how you react.
It was strange when I realized that Bonine and meclizine were the same thing. I've been given generic meclizine when I was already sick and it was almost as potent as taking phenergan; knocked me out. But I take it on all cruises and it doesn't bother me at all. I take it the morning the cruise starts (before boarding) then another each morning. I only take 25mg each day, maybe that's the difference. Or maybe it knocks us out when we're already sick because....well....we're already sick!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncingpluto View Post
I'm pretty sensitive to medicines that can make you drowsy, but I don't feel any side effects from Bonine whatsoever. With normal Dramamine, I am totally ruined for the entire rest of the day.
Same here. Dramamine totally wipes me out. I haven't noticed any side effects from Bonine at all. I get sick in cars, on carrousels, and pretty much anything else that moves. I get horribly sick on planes and rides like the teacups and Primeval Whirl. When taking Bonine I can do all those things. I still have moments of queasiness on the plane, but they're really mild and they pass quickly. It's usually if I'm reading (which I couldn't even dream of doing without the Bonine). The teacups and Primeval Whirl also still make me feel a little icky, but no more so than someone who doesn't get motion sickness lol. Again, it passes quickly.

I start taking Bonine a day before leaving home, and continue until I get back home.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
lorimay
DIS Veteran

I take the first one the night before the cruise leaves and one each night of the cruise at bed time. Works great for me. I sleep great too!

I learned my lesson from when I waited till I felt sick to take it and it ruined the entire evening. I couldn't even sit in the dining room with my family.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
ajh88
DIS Veteran

In my experience with Bonine, I don't feel sleepy if I'm engaged in doing something, but if we are driving, I will get drowsy in the car. I take one every morning at WDW so I don't have any issues with motion sickness from rides and I don't have problems with drowsiness throughout the day.

You should be able to buy it at any pharmacy. At Wal-Mart, we sell it from behind the counter (generic meclizine) - you can get either 12.5 mg or 25 mg tablets, so you could start off with the 12.5 and take 2 if you wanted the stronger dose - might help avoid drowsiness if you find that is a problem. It is MUCH cheaper (I think around $7 for a bottle of 100 pills) and works just as well. And while the tablets are chewable (in case you don't feel like drinking anything), you can take them like a "normal" pill if you want.

I'm worried about sea sickness as well - plan on taking my meclizine daily prior to the cruise and the entire time while on board. Will probably have DH and DD take a dose the first day too, just in case.

ETA: To echo what other poster's have said, it is SO MUCH harder to stop feeling sick than it is to try and prevent it in the first place!

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Time4disney
Mouseketeer

I start taking Meclizine the night before the cruise. I take it each night before going to bed while on the cruise. I sleep well and feel no motion sickness or side effects.

Here's a lesson learned story that might help...............

There was one day during our cruise when the waters were so calm and we weren't moving fast, that I decided NOT to take the meclizine that night, (I skipped one dose). Well, the following night we were cruising (pun intended) much faster than the night before and I REALLY felt the motion and started to feel sick. My last night on board was not enjoyable! Long story short........I will NEVER skip a dose again.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

I start taking the night prior to leaving...and each night until about 4 days home. This way, if it makes me sleepy- I am sleeping and....I seem to have cruise legs for a few days after I am home. One day, I almost feel in the shower. I swear the whole house rocked
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #27
Billinaz
Waiting to spend time in our home away from home.. cabin 12506!

We take bonine (or meclizine) starting the morning we fly to Florida for the cruise.

I order from www.drugstore.com

I get the generic tablets for the adults, a bottle of 100 is around $7

I get these for the kids:

PAST CRUISES (13)
02/11/2004 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/03/2005 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Day WDW and 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2006 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/01/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/04/2007 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 3 Night Bahamas
02/08/2008 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Eastern
02/07/2009 Magic Cabin 8532 - 7 Night Western
02/07/2010 Wonder Cabin 8532 - 4 Night Bahamas
02/27/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- & Cabana #3 Inaugural 4Night Bahamas
03/03/2011 Dream Cabin 12506- Missed CC - Inaugural 3 Night Bahamas
04/21/2012 Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana #4- Inaugural 7 Night Eastern
04/20/2013 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506 & Cabana 4- 7 Night Eastern
03/08/2014 WDW Poly & Fantasy Cabin 12506& Cabana 3- 7 Night Eastern
Billinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
dzy76
It all started with two little girls in Disneyland 1976

I wondered the same thing about this before my cruise in Oct. I talked to my doctors and here was what they suggested. Both have cruised before, too.

I get jet lag pretty bad, last time I flew to Florida I had a moving feeling the whole time I was there. Kind of ruined my fun in the lounges Same thing happened to my sister both times she flew there.

So this trip I started taking the bonine the night before I flew from Pasco, Washington to Orlando. Long flight! Anyway, I took the bonine twice a day the whole time in Orlando. We were there eight nights. On a couple days I took it three times a day. Pretty much anytime I felt weird. I didn't once feel drugged, or overtired.

Then the morning we took the towncar to the port, I put a prescription patch on. I wore it the whole time on the cruise. Changed it every third morning. I never got seasick. Not even when I was drinking

Which is saying something, since I was on the cruise that ended up in Hurricane Sandy the last 24 hours. Very, very windy, rocking ship. In fact, I got rolled out of bed about 1am the last night!! I did take some extra bonine during the worst of the storm. But, believe me, there were ALOT of sick people on the ship. Not me!!

Good luck. But be sure to run whatever you do by your doctor.

Dzy76

dzy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: