Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question Bonine Question

I bought some Bonine for our trip. Should we take it everyday as a precaution, or just when we start to feel woozy? Are there any side-effects? I don't want to fall asleep at a show.
GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I would suggest that you check with your physician before taking any medications, even over the counter drugs. This is particularly important if you take any other medications or supplements.

With motion sickness medications, you walk a fine line. Why take them if you don't need them? On the other hand, they work better if started before you become symptomatic. SO....if you start the med and don't experience any motion sickness, there is no way to know whether the meds worked or whether you were never destined to become ill.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

I always, always take it every day on a trip that involves ships, airplanes, or theme park rides, whether I need it or not. Preventing motion sickness is SO much easier than trying to treat it. I also begin taking it a few days before we leave, so that my body is used to it and any side effects are lessened by trip time.

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 48) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (48)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
GrandCanyon
Mouseketeer

Question

We've cruised twice before, but on the mammoth Oasis of the Seas (a floating island; haha). We didn't have any issues on Oasis, but the Dream is half the size, so that's why we were asking.
GrandCanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Each person is different....I get motion sickness on small boats, cars, etc....and don't even think about theme park rides.

The DCL ships have great stabilizers. While I can't say that I've never had any queasiness during a couple of "interesting" times, normally I have no problem at all. Of course, each person is different.

There is a rough patch on the first night as the ships go thru the gulf stream on PC departures. Once this hour or two is over, it is generally smooth sailing.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCanyon View Post
I bought some Bonine for our trip. Should we take it everyday as a precaution, or just when we start to feel woozy? Are there any side-effects? I don't want to fall asleep at a show.
Taking motion sickness medicine after you feel the onset of motion sickness is pretty much a waste of time. I'd recommend you either take it every day or keep a close eye on the ship's forecast and if the seas are predicted to be more than a few feet, start taking it then.

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

I take the sea sickness pills every day. I knew right away when the ship started to leave port. They provide free ones on the ship but my daughter took the children's Bonine and was fine. My littlest daughter always gets car sick on the way to port so we give her the pills before we leave the hotel. The only side effects I noticed were a little dry mouth. There is also ginger ale available with dinner if your stomach still isn't right.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk

Last edited by tinkmom2; 12-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
quirty30
DIS Veteran

I had taken 2 shorter cruises back in the nineties, before our cruise on the Disney Fantasy this past June. I had only experienced mild seasickness. I brought Bonine with, but didn't take it immediately. Much to my dismay, I got violently ill within hours of setting sail. It was an absolutely miserable first night. I started taking the Bonine as soon as I started feeling ill but it was too late. I continued to take it for the duration of the cruise. And if I ever cruise again, I will start taking it the day before.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

I start the day before the cruise and take Bonine (less drowsy) in the morning and Dramamine (drowsy) at night. I take them every day like that throughout the cruise and even a day or so after we are on dry land. I haven't noted any side effects except that the Dramamine does make me sleepy - so I get a great nights sleep. In regards to side effects, everyone is different, and you may experience some that I have not so it's not a bad idea to run it by your doctor.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

I'm very prone to motion sickness, so for cruises I actually start taking it a day before I board and keep taking it regularly while on board. For plane rides or road trips I take it an hour beforehand.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I take it when we go to WDW before the cruise or at least start the day before if we don't do WDW first. I take it in the morning. Would rather not find out if I would get sea sick on the cruise. If the motion bothers me in the evening I get gingerale at dinner. On the first night this is a must because the waters outside the port can be a little rough.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
dragonfly08
DIS Veteran

I know I'll get motion sick, so I start Bonine the day before embarking and continue until the morning we disembark.

On our last cruise, DH left his meds at home. The first night was pretty rough. I ended up getting some extra meds from the on-board clinic for both him and DD #1. They already had symptoms when they started taking it, but by morning were both much better. DH continued taking it though the cruise, we dosed DD one more time to be sure then stopped to see how she did and she was ok after that.
dragonfly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

As others have said, if you wait until you need the Bonine, it's really too late. I highly suggest doing a "trial run" with the meds before you go, to find out how they affect you. If they're going to make you drowsy, then you want to make sure you take them before you go to bed, so that you can sleep it off. Everyone reacts differently to the meds, even the "non-drowsy" ones can put you to sleep.

Personally, I use the patch, although they're not for everyone, either. I put it on the night before we boarded, kept it on for the first 3 days, took it off for a couple of days, and then put another one on for the last 3 days. I had virtually no problems with seasickness.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

People react differently. I tested it before the trip and found that I felt no side effects. My children also had none, so we went ahead and took some everyday (they stopped a few days into the trip while I -and my oldest daughter- continued throughout the trip. My husband didn't take anything because medications make him sleepy and her preferred to take his chances. It just depends on how it makes you feel. I hate being sick to my stomach so I would rather be proactive with the meds but if I felt side effects then I would have to weigh the pros and cons.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
pouncingpluto
2005 WDW Bride

I'm pretty sensitive to medicines that can make you drowsy, but I don't feel any side effects from Bonine whatsoever. With normal Dramamine, I am totally ruined for the entire rest of the day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: