Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Kairi
Earning My Ears

Has any one done the Mayan Ruins & Discover Mexico Cultural Park excursion?

I'm able to start booking excursions next week and am interested in this one but can"t find any reviews Thanks for any help!

Kairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Kairi
Earning My Ears

anyone???

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
sailworkless
Earning My Ears

I just booked the same thing for our family for our Halloween cruise. I found a few separate reviews on CruiseCritic for the ruins and the park. They were pretty varied. It seemed those who thought the ruins were a waste went without a guide. I think virtually any type of historical site without a guide is asking for a letdown. The Discover Mexico Cultural Park also had mixed reviews, but I saw enough to give it a try. My kids will be 11,9,8,5 when we go, and aren't very adventurous with the water excursions, so I thought we'd book it and hope for the best.

I think you are going before us. Maybe you could post your experience when you get back?

Good luck!
sailworkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Do you mean in Cozumel?

Last April2010 we did Chanakaab and Discover Mexico excursion and we loved it!!!

Picked up at port by Ruiy our guide, shuttle off with some other families in two vans to Chanakaab for snorkeling. I personally would loved to spend the entire day there. The water, snorkeling, dolphins, pools, swimming lagoons, plus restaruants and bars. There is also a botanical garden we did not get to see, plus some cultural shows.
Then we got back in the van a drove about 5 minutes to Discover Mexico, an indoor (nice and cool) cutural and art musuem and outdoor a minature village of the mayan temples and mexico city.

We then had a wonderful and delicious buffet lunch at the musuem, homemade mexican ice cream and they did a pinata with the kids.
They also have a nice gift shop. We hop in the vans back to the port. They drop you off at the rear entrance of the shop mall which connects you right back to the port. So, we did a little shopping and then back on the ship.

Great excurusion. A little snorkeling and a little cuture.
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Kairi
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailworkless View Post
I just booked the same thing for our family for our Halloween cruise. I found a few separate reviews on CruiseCritic for the ruins and the park. They were pretty varied. It seemed those who thought the ruins were a waste went without a guide. I think virtually any type of historical site without a guide is asking for a letdown. The Discover Mexico Cultural Park also had mixed reviews, but I saw enough to give it a try. My kids will be 11,9,8,5 when we go, and aren't very adventurous with the water excursions, so I thought we'd book it and hope for the best.

I think you are going before us. Maybe you could post your experience when you get back?

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes if we end up doing this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbn1122 View Post
Do you mean in Cozumel?

Last April2010 we did Chanakaab and Discover Mexico excursion and we loved it!!!

Picked up at port by Ruiy our guide, shuttle off with some other families in two vans to Chanakaab for snorkeling. I personally would loved to spend the entire day there. The water, snorkeling, dolphins, pools, swimming lagoons, plus restaruants and bars. There is also a botanical garden we did not get to see, plus some cultural shows.
Then we got back in the van a drove about 5 minutes to Discover Mexico, an indoor (nice and cool) cutural and art musuem and outdoor a minature village of the mayan temples and mexico city.

We then had a wonderful and delicious buffet lunch at the musuem, homemade mexican ice cream and they did a pinata with the kids.
They also have a nice gift shop. We hop in the vans back to the port. They drop you off at the rear entrance of the shop mall which connects you right back to the port. So, we did a little shopping and then back on the ship.

Great excurusion. A little snorkeling and a little cuture.
Yes,it is in Cozumel...I probably should have mentioned that. This excursion is a little different. It goes to the Mayan Ruins at San Gervasio then to Discover Mexico. Thank you for the info on the Discover Mexico part. It sounds pretty good. We have an almost 3 year old, so finding things that would be fun and interesting for her is important.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
TLPL
DIS Veteran

I am interested in this as well, can you or someone give a review of this after you come back???

-February: Western Caribbean Cruise on Disney Wonder
-August: Disney World/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas

TLPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
dkfajr1
Mouseketeer

We booked this too, it was DH's pick. Thanks asking the question and the answers. I hope the kids like it, they are 11, 9, 7, 7.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Can anyone give a review of this? I am thinking of booking it for our up coming trip. Thank you!

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

We did the San Gervasio ruins and Discover Mexico excursion last December.
It was DH, me, and DS12.

The ruins aren't the big, grand ones that you see in pictures about Mexico but they are still very nice. The guide told us all about the Mayans that lived there and about many of the buildings. There is a sign about each structure with more information. You can look up San Gervasio on the internet.

The Discover Mexico attraction was also very nice. Very nice large scale models of ancient and modern-day architecture in Mexico. Each structure has a sign also. Look up this attraction on the internet to find out more too. I could have used more time to explore more of the structures.

This excursion also includes a Mexican lunch and pinata fun for the children. The lunch was very nice, very authentic. We saw one lady making the tortillas. The lunch included chicken fajitas, beef fajitas, cheese quasadillas, quacamole, salsa, refried beans, a white cheese, and french fries . There were choices of 3 drinks, apple juice, red habiscus tea, and horchata (a rice drink).

We all had a very nice time on this excursion. Hope this helps you.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
jodical
Mouseketeer

We just took the San Gervasio and Discover Mexico Tour last month on our first Disney Cruise.

We had a wonderful tour guide, Cesar. He insisted on calling us his family so everywhere we went it was, "Family" this and "Family" that - he even showed us where he lived on the way to San Gervasio in case the ship left us behind.

The ruins we great. Nothing huge like you might see at Tulum but many were accessible so for that alone I give it a good review. The ruin is Mayan so we got a nice education in the Mayan calendar and the difference from the Aztec calendar. The passion for the subject matter on behalf of the guide was readily apparent. There is some walking but not a terrible amount here if that appeals to you. You actually don't have time to see the entire site but that was fine. They also have a small marketplace there and the shopkeeps could not have been more friendly! I think they even offered a discount for Disney guests - or maybe it was guests of that certain tour company - if you mentioned it to them. Something like that. Lots of nice jewelry pieces and such including a pendant with the Mayan calendar on one side and the Aztec on the other. After the discussion on the tour, it was the piece I was most tempted with.

Discover Mexico was great too! If you are into handicrafts and scale models then look no further! They had many beautiful pieces in the museum - the detail was amazing! A rooster made entirely out of dried chilis, a doll made out of cornhusks... When you get outside, they have a Mexican feast awaiting you with the handmade tortillas and lots of fresh ingredients to make your own chalupas. They had the biggest platter of guacamole I have ever seen in my life! They also have two local beverages - one called Jamaica that is made from powdered hibiscus flowers - similar to Kool Aid but not as sweet and another (forgive me I cannot recall the name) that is like a rice milk - super sweet and very yummy. It was my crew's favorite. Toward the tail end of the meal they line the kids up for the pinata and immediately following that they do a demonstration where five men climb a pole about 4 stories high and play music and... well, I don't want to spoil it for you but keep your camera handy! Next we explored the scale miniatures of many of the major structures and parks in Mexico City. It looks like the most detailed and oversized miniature golf course you've ever seen - that is to say they are fairly huge, not tiny at all - most stand over 4-5 feet tall. There are a few wooden standups in front of the museum you can stick your face through for photos also.

The ride to San Gervasio was about 20-25 minutes, the ride to Discover Mexico from there was maybe 15-20 minutes and then a further 10-15 minutes back to the port.

It was a great tour and well worth the money, I thought! Hope that helps! Enjoy!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for your reviews. Sounds like a nice adventure. I think I will do that one with the kids over the Mayan ruins and beach tour. Thank you so much for your help.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
jermel
Earning My Ears

We're doing this on the Jan. 5, 2013 cruise on the Wonder. When are you going, Kairi?
jermel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: