Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

Wink Pizza question.....

For those of us in New England, has anyone found a comparable pizza in/at/around Disney that taste as good as Papa Ginos!?? Disney pizza is awful when I compare it to ANY chain.....minus Pizza Hut(I DESPISE that place)!!

TIA!!
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Check out http://www.nypdpizzeria.com/ which has a few locations in Central Florida. All their pizzas are hand-tossed and made to order. The SW Orlando and Metro West are both close to WDW. I go to the Poinciana one, which is about four miles from my house.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Obsessed View Post
For those of us in New England, has anyone found a comparable pizza in/at/around Disney that taste as good as Papa Ginos!?? Disney pizza is awful when I compare it to ANY chain.....minus Pizza Hut(I DESPISE that place)!!

TIA!!
We love the pizza at Via Napoli! Far superior to the pizza at Papa Gino's in our opinion (and we love Papa Gino's).

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We love the pizza at Via Napoli! Far superior to the pizza at Papa Gino's in our opinion (and we love Papa Gino's).
I second that!! Great pizza at Via Napoli!

We ordered pizza at the room, I didn't think it was that bad. Better than Little Ceasars.

As a side note, I ordered WINGS too, but they were pretty gross.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Without a doubt, Via Napoli. The best i have tried. Its very good. My DS12 also loved it.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Obsessed View Post

TIA!!
Nope and never will. Because any pizza you will try will be compared to Papa Gino's and will never measure up.

My husband LOVED the chili colorado at this one place in Bellevue, Nebraska. That was his favorite dish of all time. He never orders it anywhere else because "it's not La Mesa's".

Conversely, he never orders fish and chips from any other place than Disney World because "that's the best".

Just avoid pizza at Disney World.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
crzy4mk
"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."-Walt Disney

Quote:
Do you have to have a ressie for Via Napoli or can you walk up and order a pizza?
crzy4mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Disney38Girl
Duffy's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4mk View Post
Do you have to have a ressie for Via Napoli or can you walk up and order a pizza?
Its a table service restaurant, so a ressie is recommended. I don't think you can do a take out pizza. Wish you could though; its the only pizza on property worthy of the name "pizza"
AKV Jambo Sept 2014
CR May 2015
Disney38Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OK, other than Via!
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ditto! We LOVE Papa Gino's pizza. Via Napoli's crust is slightly softer, but it is absolutely amazing.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney38Girl View Post
Its a table service restaurant, so a ressie is recommended. I don't think you can do a take out pizza. Wish you could though; its the only pizza on property worthy of the name "pizza"
Most if not all TS places in parks do not do take out, Via Napoli included.

When Via Napoli first opened, people where bound and determined to get take from there. They made ADR's sat down ordered their pizza and told them to box it up. They don't have real pizza boxes so they stacked up all the pieces in Styrofoam clam shell boxes and took it back to their Boardwalk room where they reheated their now soggy thin crust pizza.

There used to be a take window there but it was not affiliated with Via Napoli and sold regular cs Disney pizza.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

I kind of think no WDW pizza is going to stack up to your expectations, but I'll agree that Via Napoli is pretty good. you need to nkow though that it's a thin, artisanal pizza. It's baked in a brick oven, not a coal-fired oven, or regular commercial pizza oven.

In addition tot he piza, we had an outstanding seafood pasta last time we were there.

The only thing that marred the meal was getting the bill. It took nearly half an hour to gt our bill and the DDP was not applied correctly. We didn't want to wait another half hour for it to be corrected, so we sucked up the mistake (It was only about $5 over.) Sadly, the last 15minutes I sat waiting for the bill was during Illuminations.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Harambe
I better watch what I say, I CAN be a little silly!
Got a "Tag Fairy" assist for Donald Applecore's tag
Famous for my Chicken soup

Well, us New Englanders do have great pizza on every corner, so you can get that anytime! Skip pizza at WDW - so many other tasty things to try!
Harambe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

As a Jersey girl I think it is funny that some are saying delicious pizza is readily available in New England I am sure some from Chicago may feel the same way

Carry on

Oh.. and the pizzas at both Italy table service locations are delicious
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Papa Ginos is one of my favorites. In WDW Via Napoli is the only pizza I will eat. Pizza Planet, Pizzafari. Just food. Although DS likes them. DS had a flatbread at Mama Melroses that he liked but I didn't like the sauce. DS also likes the pizza at Boardwalk pizza window and I have to agree sometimes (it is not always good IMO). Pizza delivery at WL about 10 years ago was good but they changed it and now I am not impressed! The last time we had it, maybe 3-4 years ago it was flatbread style. Ok but not great.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: