Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Why is mid-November so crowded? (2013)

We're trying to plan a trip for next year using the PAPs we just upgraded to, which expire Dec 5th. We'd like to go either the week before or the week after Thanksgiving.

I understand why Thanksgiving week is crowded (week of Nov 23), and we really liked the lack of crowds of the first week of Dec this year.

So my question is, if F&W ends on Veteran's Day, there's a week and a half before Thanksgiving week where the parks should be pretty empty but TouringPlans still has the week of Nov 16 as being level 5 crowds most days with 7's and 8's in Epcot and DHS, our favorite parks. Why?

This mid-November week will probably be better for me to take off of work, and slightly easier to get a DVC villa at the 7 month mark, but level 5 crowds sound a lot less appealing than 2's and 3's for the first week of December.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,998

Is that Jersey week? I know they are notorious for having a week off sometime in November where half the state goes to Florida?

Anyway - not sure about the crowds levels. I do think that would be a fun week to visit as all the Christmas decorations are coming out.

I'm sure someone will know why crowds are higher. I do know, being a DVC member, that it can be difficult to get a villa the first couple weeks of December.

Happy planning.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Farps
Mouseketeer
 
Farps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 283

Forget about it

Im from jersey, and nov. 7 and 8 2013 is the teachers convention so many people from NJ will be swarming to the parks that week. Including my family, crowds are still manageable though but not at their lowest. Just check one of the crowd calendars.

P.S. not everyone from new Jersey will be there, only half. Lol, it's a small state
Farps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
LadyLuck24
Mouseketeer
 
LadyLuck24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 152

We were there the week of Nov 11-18th 2010. The first night was crazy in Epcot because it was the last night of F&W (we knew it would be nuts but went anyway because we had never been to F&W). The rest of the week was great---I wouldn't say it was the lowest crowds I had ever seen, but I was never overwhelmed by crowds & we got to go on everything we had planned to. Of course the usual rides (TSM, Soarin, etc) were necessary FP-ers, but we still got on them. Between the great weather and the moderate crowds, plus Christmas decorations, that week ranks right up there with the second week of May as my favorite time to go.
LadyLuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran
 
North of Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by taaren View Post
We're trying to plan a trip for next year using the PAPs we just upgraded to, which expire Dec 5th. We'd like to go either the week before or the week after Thanksgiving.

I understand why Thanksgiving week is crowded (week of Nov 23), and we really liked the lack of crowds of the first week of Dec this year.

So my question is, if F&W ends on Veteran's Day, there's a week and a half before Thanksgiving week where the parks should be pretty empty but TouringPlans still has the week of Nov 16 as being level 5 crowds most days with 7's and 8's in Epcot and DHS, our favorite parks. Why?

This mid-November week will probably be better for me to take off of work, and slightly easier to get a DVC villa at the 7 month mark, but level 5 crowds sound a lot less appealing than 2's and 3's for the first week of December.
We were there this year from 11/27 - 12/7 and the crowd level was excellent, and the weather cooperated also This is one of our favorite times of year to go, the other being mid April for F&G Festival (but not crowded after most spring breaks are over).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farps View Post
Im from jersey, and nov. 7 and 8 2013 is the teachers convention so many people from NJ will be swarming to the parks that week. Including my family, crowds are still manageable though but not at their lowest. Just check one of the crowd calendars.

P.S. not everyone from new Jersey will be there, only half. Lol, it's a small state

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLuck24 View Post
We were there the week of Nov 11-18th 2010. The first night was crazy in Epcot because it was the last night of F&W (we knew it would be nuts but went anyway because we had never been to F&W). The rest of the week was great---I wouldn't say it was the lowest crowds I had ever seen, but I was never overwhelmed by crowds & we got to go on everything we had planned to. Of course the usual rides (TSM, Soarin, etc) were necessary FP-ers, but we still got on them. Between the great weather and the moderate crowds, plus Christmas decorations, that week ranks right up there with the second week of May as my favorite time to go.
This is helpful, thanks. I'm looking at Nov 17-22 or 23, and it sounds like that might be a fairly good bet if I plan my parks right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
We were there this year from 11/27 - 12/7 and the crowd level was excellent, and the weather cooperated also This is one of our favorite times of year to go, the other being mid April for F&G Festival (but not crowded after most spring breaks are over).
We were there from 11/30-12/5, and I did love the weather and walking on to all the rides. That's why I'm pushing for it again, though DH seems really attached to the week before Thanksgiving. (Personally I'd like to get the visiting the in-laws part of the trip done before getting my Disney happy face on, but he would rather relax with his family after.)
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
beccasmom
DIS Veteran
 
beccasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia suburbs
Posts: 3,377

We visited the week of 11/12 this year and the crowds did not seem bad from our perspective. This was our third straight year visiting the week before Thanksgiving and it has always worked well for us. This year we had blah weather (cloudy, drizzly), so that was disappointing. So no "quality" sun time, but we had a great time otherwise.
__________________
DVC Members since 1992-OKW
beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Eponine1
DIS Veteran
 
Eponine1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 672

I am going the week of November 15--23 2013. I subscribe to Touring Plans too.

Don't worry, the numbers will go down. They are basing it on the numbers from the past year. If you look at a certain day and click onto a certain park you will see that is based on the hours of 2011 which was really the week of Thanksgiving with longer hours.

For 2013, Thanksgiving falls one week later.

It will be a great week. F&W should be done, no Jersey Week, not Veteran's Day.

Once the calendar comes out and the usual hours are posted like MK 9-8 pm (usual hours for that time) then the numbers will come way down.

I go the week before Thanksgiving every year and never had a problem.

Watch for the calendar in May and TP will adjust the numbers then.

Happy planning!
__________________
Eponine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting
 
Sweettears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,424

We used to go that time of year when our kids were younger because they had Veterans Day off and it was one less day of school to miss. Back then it wasn't a busy time of year to visit.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Promomx2
DIS Veteran
 
Promomx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: va.
Posts: 3,117

We too are looking at Nov. 16 to 21st. I just wanted to make sure that we would miss Pop Warner and any cheering competitions. Will we miss them?
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
taaren
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." - Walt
 
taaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponine1 View Post
I am going the week of November 15--23 2013. I subscribe to Touring Plans too.

Don't worry, the numbers will go down. They are basing it on the numbers from the past year. If you look at a certain day and click onto a certain park you will see that is based on the hours of 2011 which was really the week of Thanksgiving with longer hours.

For 2013, Thanksgiving falls one week later.

It will be a great week. F&W should be done, no Jersey Week, not Veteran's Day.

Once the calendar comes out and the usual hours are posted like MK 9-8 pm (usual hours for that time) then the numbers will come way down.

I go the week before Thanksgiving every year and never had a problem.

Watch for the calendar in May and TP will adjust the numbers then.

Happy planning!
This makes me feel much better! I think I'm sold on this week now ... I'll have to commit before May due to the fact that we are DVC, so my 7 month date will be mid-March, but we need to start arranging for time-off work, etc anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promomx2 View Post
We too are looking at Nov. 16 to 21st. I just wanted to make sure that we would miss Pop Warner and any cheering competitions. Will we miss them?
Pop Warner 2013 will be the 2nd week of December, the 7-13 instead of Nov 30-5 from what I saw on another thread. That was one of the reasons the Nov 30 week was appealing to me.
__________________
DLR: BW Raffles, Marriott FFI, Hilton Anaheim, BW PPI, Marriott ResInn GG, Anaheim Marriott, VGC, DLH. Cruises: Wonder Repo 9/20/11, Pixar CA Coast 10/7/12, Dream 12/6/12. Aulani mini-TR w/ view and food pix. Dec 2012 PTR/TR of DLR vets taking on the World! New P/TR of 2013 Bi-Coastal Disney-ing.
taaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.