Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
gzmtlock
Mouseketeer

Does Palo ever bend age rules?

We're going on our first cruise on the Dream in a couple weeks. It's our first cruise in several years, a three-nighter. Our kids are older now - DS will be 18 in March, and DD is a very mature 16 year old. I'd forgotten that there is no semi-formal night on the 3-nighter, and both kids were really looking forward to dressing up.

I'm wondering what the chances are of us sweet-talking Palo into letting the four of us dine together one night? I know they're both under age, and the rules say they're not allowed.

Has anyone had any luck with getting Palo to bend the age rules? If so, any tips to share?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzmtlock View Post
We're going on our first cruise on the Dream in a couple weeks. It's our first cruise in several years, a three-nighter. Our kids are older now - DS will be 18 in March, and DD is a very mature 16 year old. I'd forgotten that there is no semi-formal night on the 3-nighter, and both kids were really looking forward to dressing up.

I'm wondering what the chances are of us sweet-talking Palo into letting the four of us dine together one night? I know they're both under age, and the rules say they're not allowed.

Has anyone had any luck with getting Palo to bend the age rules? If so, any tips to share?
No chance. Everyone has to be 18 or older, they never bend the age requirement rules for Palo.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

This is one rule Disney does not fail to enforce. No one under 18.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012, Magic WBTA 2014
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

As others have said, this is one rule they won't bend. They wouldn't bend it for your nealy-18 son, let alone your much-too-young daughter. Think about it, if they bent the rule for you they would have to bend it for anyone else in your situation. In my opinion, it is inappropriate to ask for such a favor.

DCL is actually quite strict about keeping all of the Adults Only areas completely 18 and up. Our kids have been sailing DCL since early elementary school age. They are both now old enough for Palo and feel like they have earned something special.

Last edited by MouseMomx2; 12-28-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Thank goodness no. That is one area where they are able to strictly enforce the age requirements. Both of my kids know that they have to wait until after they turn 18 to go to Palo.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
gzmtlock
Mouseketeer

Thanks to those who let me know that this is a rule that is not bent; it's helpful to not get our hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
DCL is actually quite strict about keeping all of the Adults Only areas completely 18 and up.a Our kids have been sailing DCL since early elementary school age. They are both now old enough for Palo and feel like they have earned something special.
I appreciate the adults-only areas; my husband and I have enjoyed them for years. But I am curious - how did your children "earn" going to Palo? Merely by reaching 18?

It was a simple question I asked, and I don't feel it deserved any attitude.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Of course it would cost a lot more, but if you book a royal suite you can have Palo delivered to the room for your kids. The royals on the older ships during off season is not too bad for costs. (Well, compared to the Fantasy anyway, lol.) I just wanted to throw that out there as an alternative.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
gzmtlock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Of course it would cost a lot more, but if you book a royal suite you can have Palo delivered to the room for your kids. The royals on the older ships during off season is not too bad for costs. (Well, compared to the Fantasy anyway, lol.) I just wanted to throw that out there as an alternative.
Now this I love! If we could afford the royal suite, we'd order Palo and eat in our jammies, not even bothering to dress up! That would be an even more awesome memory!!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to those who let me know that this is a rule that is not bent; it's helpful to not get our hopes up.

I appreciate the adults-only areas; my husband and I have enjoyed them for years. But I am curious - how did your children "earn" going to Palo? Merely by reaching 18?

There was absolutely no attitude meant in my post. I was simply saying that it is a rule that won't be bent and that I feel it is inappropriate to ask for special treatment, nothing more. I am sorry you read it in a different tone.

Perhaps I should have used the word achieved instead of earned. They looked forward to going for many years and are now able to. It was a really great moment for each of them.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I dont think any attitude was meant, just that by knowing that certain area's are meant for adults, and some for minors that they have waited and respected that, and when they have reached that milestone in their lives that enables them extra privileges and hence more responsibility in their actions, consequences, and the consequences their actions have on others, they respect them and appreciate them more.
That is not to say that your 17 year old doesn't already know them, just that not all do the same age do, and there has to be a threshold that is maintained for the good of those that wish to dine with adults only.
Any person 18+ not acting 18+ in Palo or Remy will be ejected either way!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... I'd forgotten that there is no semi-formal night on the 3-nighter, and both kids were really looking forward to dressing up....
There's no reason your family can't dress-up on any given night, regardless of what others are wearing. With the "cruise casual" atmosphere, even on semi-formal or formal nights there are people in the MDRs who aren't all that dressed up and others in tuxes and evening gowns. I say if you have teens who WANT to dress up, by all means do so as a family and enjoy the evening!

Enjoy your cruise!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
On one cruise, we literally had every dinner delivered to our room from Palo. I will mention our kids are not interested in ever repeating that experience. They like the fun of the MDR's. I suspect we will have several dinners delivered on our next cruise, but only after we take the kids to the MDR!

DWF
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
On one cruise, we literally had every dinner delivered to our room from Palo. I will mention our kids are not interested in ever repeating that experience. They like the fun of the MDR's. I suspect we will have several dinners delivered on our next cruise, but only after we take the kids to the MDR!

DWF
Congratulations and well done for you and your other half for being able to afford that experience.
Not sure that help's the OP in anyway though?

Last edited by Cruiser76; 12-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:

The 18 years olds earned the right to go to Palo; just like a 21 year old earns the right to finally drink alcohol. Sorry, but DCL does not make exceptions.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

Does Palo ever bend age rules?
No, unless your names are Aly & AJ.

Woody
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: