Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Im in! Great photos!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Im in! Great photos!
Welcome! Really I wish I had more pics and had actually kept a journal for this trip. I really felt blah the whole time we were there. Looking back, I think it was the stress of having my parents with us. Not to say that I didn't have a blast. Well, that and my 12 year old was intent on being "too cool" to be excited about on vacation with his parents!
ASMu 2009
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

I'm interested in the laundry concoction. :D

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaKeys View Post
I'm interested in the laundry concoction. :D
You asked I deliver! Here is what you need:

1) Fels Naptha. (It is is an old fashioned soap found in the laundry isle. Two other options are Zote (which I use, also found in the laundry aisle. Its a bar of soap. It has white wrapping and Zote is written in pink. Its up on a top shelf at my Wal Mart.) Or Ivory.

2) Washing soda. This is in a box in the laundry isle and it is different that baking soda. Mine is made by Arm & Hammer.

3) Borax. Again found on the laundry aisle. Mine is in a light green box and I find it on a bottom shelf bby all the other Arm & HAmmer laundry products.

4) One large bucket.

Recipe:

1)Grate 1/3 of the bar of soap into a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and wait for the soap to melt.

2)Add 1/2 c. washing soda and a 1/2 c. Borax. Stir until dissolved.

3) Remove from heat and add 4 c. hot water into the bucket. Now add soap mixture to the bucket and stir.

4) Now add 1 gallon and 6 cups of water. Stir.

Let the mixture set for 24 hours to gel*. Use 1/2 c. per load.

*when I say gel, I use that term reaaaaalllllllllllyyyyy loosely. Mine looks like a cloudy liquid. I get clumps too. Lots of times the clumps settle to the bottom so I like to stir mine up. I haven't figured if a difference in humidity makes a difference in my soap. But, the soap works great. It doesn't have a lots of suds. So don't let that throw you off! 1 batch lasts me 4-6 weeks. The soap will make about three batches, but the washing soda and Borax will last me about a year. That's a pretty good return on $12!

Also, if you want a scent you can add .5 to 1 oz of essential or fragrant oil.

Anyway, I was paying about $10/ mo. on laundry detergent, so that's a pretty good savings for me. If you want a stronger soap you can add in more Borax.

My next project is to make my own laundry detergent. There is also a recipe for your own dish detergent. I haven't tried that yet, but I really need to. Dish detergent and trash bags are eating my grocery budget. Well, okay the price of groceries in general are eating my grocery budget!
ASMu 2009
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Day 3 Animal Kingdom

This update will be kinda boring because my stupid camera battery was completely dead and I didn't get to take ANY pictures.

Lauren and I got up super early and left a sleeping crew to head over to AK for her YES class Wild By Nature. It was a looooong drive to AK from Bonnet Creek. Probably 10-15 minutes. Which isn't really that long, but I'm a nervous nellie and I kept being afraid that I was going to miss it (Like you can miss something on Disney property with all of their GREAT signage!) or that we were going to be late. We got there and parked right up front on the first row. I'm telling you, I LOVE driving my own car to the parks! So worth the $14/day (Well, except for at MK. Then I'm tempted to drive to DTD and take the bus. I'm soooo kidding. If you're new- that's a no no.)

Anyway, we checked in out front and got our name tags and then headed into AN EMPTY PARK YAY! This is where I found out my stupid camera didn't work. I tried to take a pic of the Tree of Life completely unobstructed by people- no such luck. Grrrr. They tell you at the very beginning that they won't be stopping for pics. So if you're planning on doing a YES class and you want pics of something other than your child in class plan on snapping and walking!

The class was great. It was very interactive. And once again, I wish I had taken my trip journal. Here are some of the places in AK that we went: Discovery Island Nature Trails, Pangani Forest Exploration, Kilimanjaro Safari.

Here are some of the things we learned:
  • We learned about animal camouflage. Ex: Cryptic Coloration. Zebras move in herds because lions can't tell where one zebra starts and another one ends when their stripes all blend together!

We learned about baby Okapis. Their feet leave a scent in their footprints so their parents can find them.

Namaste and Harambe mean "Hello" in India and Africa. Actually, Namaste means "peace".

They also used carribeaners to teach the kids about natural selection. The leader (teacher) would offer opportunities throughout the lesson for the kids to earn either a red carribeaner or a black one. For instance, he would stop in the shade and offer a time for the kids to get a drink. Every child that got a drink got a red carribeaner those who didn't got a black one. (Drink when the leader drinks 'cause its a safe spot to do so) He didn't explain the purpose of this until the end and all of the kids thought it was pretty cool.

Lauren didn't enjoy this class as much as I hoped she would. However, I think it was because her blood sugar bottomed out!!! She was acting very blah and moody. I finally asked her, "What is your problem?" Here we had this great teacher and all of these other enthusiastic kids and she's moping around like a spoiled brat! Well, she said she didn't fell well, and a light came on in my head. I was like, "Ummm, maybe we should test your blood sugar." Yeah, it was in the 40's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Cow! (Yes we were in India at that time )

Let me give you a quick lesson on Type I diabetes. Generally her blood sugar should be in the low 100s. Maybe around 80 if its time for a snack. Also, generally, heat drives blood sugars up! At 40ish people start to feel really bad. In the 30s they can pass out and go into a diabetic coma! AAAACCCKK! So Mom is officially trying not to freak out at this point. We had a snack with us, but I wanted one with more sugar. Luckily, in every group they had the teacher and another facilitator. I let the facilitator know what was going on and she helped me find a cart that was just opening to get Lauren a coke. I wanted something with a lot of sugar that I could give her over a period of time to raise her blood sugar.

Our Dr. advises us to take her blood sugar every 15 minutes when it is low and keep taking in carbs until it returns to normal levels. It took us 3 rounds to get it up where it should be. I felt so bad that she didn't get more out of the class. But, it really wasn't her fault.

At the end of the class, I thanked the teacher and made sure Lauren thanked him 'cause he really did a great job! It was about 11 and the others were going to meet up with us.

I had left them a detailed plan of what to do for the day. Have I ever posted one of my detailed plans on here? No? Hmmm. pause while I look for that. Well, I can't find my external hard drive. I'll look for it and post a sample later. Anywho, they had all opted to skip Rope Drop and were just now getting into the park. David had gone to get them FPs for Kilimanjaro Safari tho. So while they went to Kilimanjaro Safari, Lauren and I went to Pizzafari for lunch.We met a local who worked there and chatted quite a while about the amazing opportunity to live in Orlando and work for Disney. On the one hand, I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! On the other hand, probably not so much. I'm really not that much of a people person!

After our lunch we meandered over to Safari. It took FOREVER to meet back up with the rest of the folk. Earlier when we were on, we probably waited like 10 minutes for the big ol male giraffe to decide to get out of the road! They even had to call one of the rangers to come "encourage" him to mosey along! It was great! So, the rest of the fam experienced the same problem, but with the rhinos! So we both got AWESOME experiences.It was coming up on 1 p.m. and I really wanted to catch this showing of FOLTK so we headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey. WE had a little bit of time before the show so we met some characters.

I LOVE Camp Minnie Mickey. And I LOVE the Character Greeting Trails over here. I am so sad that they are going to replace it with stupid Avatar land. I haven't seen all of Avatar, but I'm not really a fan of what I have seen. I mean, its creative and visually stunning and its just fine as a movie. But I'm not in love with it enough to want to see Disney turn it into a whole land. Okay sorry, rant over. Anyway, first we got to meet Baloo and King Louie:

Then, we got to meet my soul mate:

We had great character interaction here. Probably because I flirted over the top and shamelessly with Mickey! I hugged him so tight and told him how much I loved him (With my husband standing right there as you can see!) I gave him my phone number and told him he should Call Me, Maybe and then after we took the picture, I asked him if he would come home with me! He nodded Yes and proceeded to leave the hut with me! Until his handler told him he couldn't 'cause he had other guests waiting to meet him. He looked very dejected. So we left Mickey and I was on cloud 9! My Dad was still scratching his head trying to comprehend all that had just happened. (I think he was a little taken aback at my meeting of the Mouse.) My children were suitably embarrassed, mainly the older one! (Yes! My job as a mother is done!) And my husband was just his normal easy going self. He knows I would never cheat on him.....well, except with a Mouse, but I think he feels pretty secure in Mickey and Minnie's relationship!

So after all this fun it was time to go into FOTLK. Because of Mom's scooter we were seated down front in the elephant section. My kids got picked to teach the elephant section how to blow their trunks! I think my Dad has pictures of this, but he hasn't given me a copy of his CD yet. Hmmmm....I think I need to call my Dad.

My parents loved the show. But, we were ready to head out. IT was a short day for everyone else here at AK. I kinda planned it that way on purpose. We were here for 10 days and would be back. So today we only hit the stuff I thought my parents would like. We got some Mickey bars on the way out and ran across a PP photog so of course we stopped.

Then we headed back to the WBC for some rest and pool time!
ASMu 2009
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Wow the class at AK sounds really interesting! How cool that they do things like that for kids!

Technology malfunctions are awful! At least you were able to get good photopass photos though!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Really love your TR! Your family sounds like so much fun - loved the interaction with you and Mickey You got some great pics on this trip - esp the pic of your kids at Swiss Family Robinson. I love that your kids are agreeable to wearing matching tshirts - I could never pull that off esp with the ages of my kids now

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 AM   #23
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcourtneyy View Post
Wow the class at AK sounds really interesting! How cool that they do things like that for kids!

Technology malfunctions are awful! At least you were able to get good photopass photos though!
The class at AK was really cool. I just wish I had taken a notebook to keep notes. I've noticed that they've really diminished the discount for park tickets on the special YES class. I mean I think our 8 day WP&More with PH was like $400 something or less. 'Cause I think the total for our tickets was around $1300 for the six of us. Maybe it was a little more, but not much and that is certainly not the discount they are offering now!

I am soooo thankful for the photopass. Actually, I was debating about it. I kept going back and forth, but Carrie set up a photopass share and so it only cost me like $20-$25. Can't beat that!

Quote:
Really love your TR! Your family sounds like so much fun - loved the interaction with you and Mickey You got some great pics on this trip - esp the pic of your kids at Swiss Family Robinson. I love that your kids are agreeable to wearing matching tshirts - I could never pull that off esp with the ages of my kids now
Thanks! On our last trip we did custom made matching shirts that everybody loved! My husband created them using images off the internet. So if we were going to MK it had the castle on the front and different dwarves on the back for each of us. Our DHS day of course had the big hat and different Disney characters dressed up in Star Wars costumes. We got the shirts cheap, but even so, they weren't in the budget for this year so we had to make do with our 4th of July shirts. Luckily we had those from a couple of different years! Lol!
ASMu 2009
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2010 View Post
The class at AK was really cool. I just wish I had taken a notebook to keep notes. I've noticed that they've really diminished the discount for park tickets on the special YES class. I mean I think our 8 day WP&More with PH was like $400 something or less. 'Cause I think the total for our tickets was around $1300 for the six of us. Maybe it was a little more, but not much and that is certainly not the discount they are offering now!

I am soooo thankful for the photopass. Actually, I was debating about it. I kept going back and forth, but Carrie set up a photopass share and so it only cost me like $20-$25. Can't beat that!
That is definitely a great ticket discount! How cool that they offered something like that! How did kids qualify for it (not that I have any to enroll in it )? That stinks that they reduced the discount but not too surprising! lol

Photopass shares are a great idea! I should look into that next time but I really wanted photopass plus so I think that would've been more difficult.

July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcourtneyy View Post
That is definitely a great ticket discount! How cool that they offered something like that! How did kids qualify for it (not that I have any to enroll in it )?
I heard about the YES program here on the disboards and then just googled YES program Individual Enrollment. They have one YES program set up for schools. Of course, Disney also offers homeschool days, but this fit our needs better! You have to make sure that you are on the Individual Enrollment page. Other than that its just a matter of picking a class that is offered in the age range of your child and the dates that you will be there. I loved it and would definitely sign my kids up again even without the discount.

I am planning on trying to get in another couple of updates this weekend. I just finished coming back from the store. HAHA- I laugh in advance before I tell this story. One of the family's that we did Scouts with has a son who left last month to participate in the Disney College Program. His family is leaving next Tuesday to head to WDW to take advantage of his CM discount on rooms, food, and park passes. I've been communicating with him and his Mom on FB about picking me up some souvenirs that I can use for my kids in Oct. (A group of us girls from work are going to head down for F&W). Well, his brother works at our local supermarket, but apparently hasn't been privy to all of these conversations. You should have seen him nearly pass out when I handed him $100 and my Disney shopping list! He was like, "really?" I had to assure him that his Mom was expecting it! (I also pulled the manager aside and promised him that the $100 bucks his cashier just pocketed was for sure on the up and up!)

Anyway, I'm off to fold laundry~unless someone wants to volunteer so I can post a couple of updates!
ASMu 2009
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2010 View Post

I am planning on trying to get in another couple of updates this weekend. I just finished coming back from the store. HAHA- I laugh in advance before I tell this story. One of the family's that we did Scouts with has a son who left last month to participate in the Disney College Program. His family is leaving next Tuesday to head to WDW to take advantage of his CM discount on rooms, food, and park passes. I've been communicating with him and his Mom on FB about picking me up some souvenirs that I can use for my kids in Oct. (A group of us girls from work are going to head down for F&W). Well, his brother works at our local supermarket, but apparently hasn't been privy to all of these conversations. You should have seen him nearly pass out when I handed him $100 and my Disney shopping list! He was like, "really?" I had to assure him that his Mom was expecting it! (I also pulled the manager aside and promised him that the $100 bucks his cashier just pocketed was for sure on the up and up!)

Anyway, I'm off to fold laundry~unless someone wants to volunteer so I can post a couple of updates!
Poor kid was probably so confused! Good call on the souvenirs though! And good call on giving the manager a heads up!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
MK2010
Mouseketeer

DTD Day 3 Pt. 2

So after our adventures at AK we headed back to the hotel early for some rest. We were on Day 3 of a 10 day stay and my parents aren't getting any younger. I didn't want to overwhelm them. Or my kids either. I'm pretty sure I could dothe parks from sun up til sun down without any problems! After dinner however, we decided to head out to DTD. Our first stop was the Photopass Studio. It is by Team Mickey. One great thing is that anyone can use the studio. Stop by and they'll take portraits. You can even stop by more than once. I wasn't thrilled with our pictures on this particular day, but it wasn't the photographer's fault necessarily, check out the look on my boys' faces.

It was a fun photo session! (I guess the boys didn't think so though!) So, from here the guys headed over to Legoland and us girls headed ove to the Christmas Store. Now Basin is my favorite store at DTD, but strong scents bother my mother and I knew this wouldn't be my last trip to DTD! I really wanted to take Lauren to Little Miss Matched, but she wasn't feeling well so we headed over to meet back up with the boys. I wasn't sure where they were exactly and they weren't answering their phones. So we headed over to Legoland. Even my mom was amazed at the displays, but the boys weren't there. We finally tracked them down over at World of Disney. I could spend hours in that store! (I think we probably did spend a couple of hours any way.)

Lauren looked at what clothes they had left for My Disney Girl. When I was there in 2011 they had tons of the dolls and outfits. But there wasn't much of a selection this time. The boys looked at lightsabers and Cameron especially looked over and over the video games. My Dad wandered aimlessly with this kid and that. (He isn't much of a shopper) WHile my Mom debated what to get my niece.) I looked over the jewelry, but I couldn't make up my mind. David wandered through the clothes. I swear, that man and his clothes! He has more than the rest of us all put together!

We didn't say very late at DTD. But we had a nice time. It was maybe a 3-5 minute drive back to Bonnet Creek. I'm telling you, if you have a large group like we did Bonnet Creek is the place to stay! So close to everything, in the Disney bubble so to speak, and plenty of space. I loved having the washer and dryer. I think we used it every day for a load or two and we saved so much money being able to cook in the kitchen. Now, I'm just as happy to use the dining plan, but learning to manage Lauren's diabetes has been interesting. It isn't difficult, but it was an added stress on vacation that I didn't want to deal with. It was easier to deal with the tried and true meals that we use at home.

Well, in the interest of breaking things up, I'll stop this entry now and start another post directly concerning The Holy Land Experience which we experienced on Day 4.
ASMu 2009

Last edited by MK2010; 02-03-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
MK2010
Mouseketeer

The Holy Land Experience Day 4

The Holy Land Experience Day 4

Today wasn't quite an early a start. We had The Holy Land Experience set as our destination today. We had to get there a bit early simply because we hadn't yet bought our tickets. The Holy Land Experience is a park in Orlando operated by TBN. It runs 6 day a week from 10-6. There aren't any rides, but there are displays and shows. My Dad has always wanted to go to Israel so this was his choice to attend. We probably wouldn't have chosen it ourselves as I found it rather expensieve. I think the adult tickets were $45 apiece and the children were around $20. My parents paid for all of the admissions, which disturbed me. I had planned on paying for my family's admission. It is very important to me to be able to say that I never accepted money from my parents. I feel that if I take their money then I have to live according to their wishes. (And my Mother is K-R-A-Z-Y!)

Anyway, when we first arrived even the ticket windows weren't open yet. But here are some of the many displays out in front:

Ok, I'm goingto stop. I'll be back to edit this post, but the pictures don't want to resize and it drives me nuts when they are as wide as they were in the last post. Let me see if I can figure things out and then I'll be back.
ASMu 2009
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
MK2010
Mouseketeer

Okay so far all of my posts have been a lovely size that fits perfectly within the borders. However, in my last post about our evening at DTD they are huge. I have resized them just as I have all the others (or so I thought!) Any pointers out there for what I perhaps have missed or is photobucket just being screwy?
ASMu 2009
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

I had no idea you could use a photopass studio at Team Mickey! That's so awesome. Your pictures came out nice, even with the boys' lack of interest

The Holy Land sounds like a different and interesting thing to check out. It does seem a little pricey though, especially with a big group.

I can't offer any help on the photobucket issue. I use Flickr since I can upload directly from iPhoto with it. I have heard a lot of people say that photobucket does have a mind of its own!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: