Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

People that see you taking a shot but walk into your shot anyway, thennnn proceed to threaten you about taking their photo.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
jimim
DIS Veteran

I guess mine is the people that have a crazy better camera than me and have no idea how to use it. . . because I could be putting it to better use.

other than that i guess i'm kinda oblivious when there of others.

I do alot of cellphone snapping but again only to text off real quick for friends. those pics never end up coming off my phone anyway.

I seem to take less and less pictures each trip cause we are there multiple times a year. 90% of all my pics anymore of my kids who are young and I want them to be able to look back and see how they grew with Disney throughout their lives.
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

My pet peeve is the person who wants to take a shot across a busy pathway and expects everybody to stop so they can get their shot.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

I'm pretty relaxed when I'm at the parks, so not much really bothers me, especially photography-related. I can generally agree with those who use flash where it isn't supposed to be used - I'm sure a good half of them are due to ignorance of how to turn it off. People taking photos across a busy walkway don't peeve me, I just find it amusing as I know how long they're going to wait to get the good shot. People walking in front of my tripod don't really bother me - I know when I set it up that I'm going to have to be patient and wait for the right moment, so I can stand there at peace for many minutes just waiting for my opening...and often I'm taking a very long exposure, so a few people crossing in front of me don't affect the shot. The people shooting with phones or iPads don't peeve me either - they just go in the amusement category - the phones just because they're usually not very knowledgeable of photography and I know they're going to get a terrible shot because they're shooting into the sun, or the camera is badly tilted, etc. The iPad folks just look so darn silly that I get a chuckle every time I see one held up in the air to take a shot.

About the only photography-related peeve I have at the parks is the general lack of spacial awareness that a lot of people have, especially P&S and cellphone shooters who clearly are not photography enthusiasts. The worst offenses tend to be when they line up to take a family shot, and even when you're courteous enough to not walk through their path and try going around, they suddenly decide they can't get everyone in frame, and while still looking at their LCD, start backing up blindly right into the passing crowd. The second worst offenders tend to be those who seem totally oblivious to others who are taking a photo, and step directly in front of them to take their own snap of something...somehow not noticing the person or persons they stepped in front of who have cameras up to their faces and were just about to take a clean shot.

Still, I have so many more general peeves at the park that have nothing to do with photography...reckless cart drivers, bully baby carriage pushers who slam forward into crowds expecting the seas to part, people who push up against your back while in lines, people who cut lines, people who stop for random conversations right in the middle of high-flow traffic areas, people who suddenly stop and change directions in front of you while walking, people who walk like they're on an ocean liner in heavy seas weaving back and forth all over the pathway so you can't get past them, people who drop food or trash and make no effort to pick it up...I could go on and on...

It's best to just be zen, and take your time in the parks - that way, none of this ever gets you boiled over - you can just smile when you see the offenses occurring, and check them off on an imaginary checklist in your head of all the offenses you expect to see for the day. It's easy for me, because I don't go to Disney with kids, or to get on rides, or to be the first in - I go for me, on my schedule, with no preset plans or reservations, so I can just relax and enjoy my time there despite all the chaos around me!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

I don't have much on the way of pet peeves except for flash on the dark rides - it's disruptive, provides momentary blindness that lessen the enjoyment of the ride by everyone else, and will sometimes blow out my shot being taken without a flash.

I also will walk through shots if you are shooting from across the path and I cannot avoid it - I figure its up to the people wanting that shot to be patient and wait for their opening, not the other way around.

Instead of a peeve, I do have a lot a sympathy for the folks using their phones/P&S/DSLR who have no understanding of exposure, because you know they are going to go home and find that the once in a lifetime shot is blurred, a silhouette, or just burned out. It doesn't matter whether they know about composition rules, or have a picture that would not turn my crank. All they wanted to do was capture that one moment that was special to them which is now gone. Having graduated from point and shoot, I still remember how that feels, especially when you had to wait a week to get your film developed.

And for the record, I do chimp my shots (always checking that histogram!), so please be kind if you see me in the parks the last week of March staring at my screen .

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
And for the record, I do chimp my shots (always checking that histogram!), so please be kind if you see me in the parks the last week of March staring at my screen .
Many of us do. For me checking the histogram in camera has almost completely replaced bracketing when it comes to this type of shooting. I'd rather make sure I got that once in a lifetime shot than be disappointed later if something went wonky.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbjgc View Post
I think it's okay to chimp your shots...I do it all the time. However, I refrain from doing it during certain situations like dark rides.

If I were to chimp my shots during dark rides, then I'm no better than the geniuses who elect to use their flash on dark rides. (Note I'm not stating that you chimp your shots during dark rides...just making a general comment).

Last edited by traylorc; 01-04-2013 at 06:25 PM.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
My only pet peeve is people who use the flash when the rules say they're not supposed to.
Same here.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

People using a flash when they aren't supposed to does singe my feathers, especially when I know the flash isn't doing them any good. Someone, for example, took a flash picture of Captain Jack Sparrow in the new Hollywood Studios attraction the other week while I was in there. Not only did it disrupt everyone watching the show, but I'm sure their flash picture of a digital projection turned out just wonderful.

Not necessarily a pet peeve, but it does start to get old when you're using a tripod in the parks and person after person after person comes up and tries to hand you a PhotoPass card to take their picture. I'm not sure if that happens to others, too, or if I just have a PhotoPass look to me.

I use a Black Rapid strap, so my camera hangs down at my hip. I'll usually have a protective hand on it while I'm walking or in a crowd, but it really steams me when someone catches me off guard and bangs into me, hitting the camera. It seems to happen 2-3 times per trip. Fortunately, there's never been any damage.

Kids with those spray bottle fan things, that's a real pet peeve for me. Please stay away from my camera with those sprays -- especially when you're in line and I'm forced to stand near you for a long time. I usually carry a small hand towel with me in the parks, and will drape it over my camera when I need to be near one of these bottles.

I don't let it bother me when someone walks through a shot. There are so many people taking photos, it's impossible to have total awareness of everyone and not occasionally foul someone's shot. But yea, the ones that look right at you and keep walking are annoying.

I was waiting to take some HDR shots in Hollywood Studios on our most recent trip, and had my camera set up on the tripod waiting for a section of the street to clear after closing. Someone came up and asked if they'd be in my way if they stood in front of me to take a picture. I explained what I was waiting for and told them to go right ahead. I didn't realize, though, that they were going to set up camp in front of me after taking their pictures to wait for someone who was off somewhere else in the park. I just bit my lip and patiently waited them out.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
I use a Black Rapid strap, so my camera hangs down at my hip. I'll usually have a protective hand on it while I'm walking or in a crowd, but it really steams me when someone catches me off guard and bangs into me, hitting the camera. It seems to happen 2-3 times per trip. Fortunately, there's never been any damage.

Kids with those spray bottle fan things, that's a real pet peeve for me. Please stay away from my camera with those sprays -- especially when you're in line and I'm forced to stand near you for a long time. I usually carry a small hand towel with me in the parks, and will drape it over my camera when I need to be near one of these bottles.
These two things are most of why I keep a Lenscoat Bodybag on my camera. I don't use a BR strap, but I tend to wear my camera across my chest and it rests down on my hip, to the side. I don't like to worry much about who knocks into me, and I've been known to walk into things, so I put the Bodybag on there to help protect it. It's neoprene so it also helps with the spray bottle problem.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #26
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
#1 bird doggers who have to look at every single shot in the LCD after taking it.
This does not mean what you think it means.

The only thing that really bothers me is flash on dark rides. I like when others use nighttime flash unnecessarily, because I think it adds a cool element to my photos.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #27
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser
#1 bird doggers who have to look at every single shot in the LCD after taking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment
This does not mean what you think it means.

LOL.. I know what we mean where I live when we say bird dogging..... and it's got nothing to do with LCD screens and cameras. But I just figured it was a regional term used somewhere else for chimping.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #28
SunDial
Where Are The Umbrella Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
Not necessarily a pet peeve, but it does start to get old when you're using a tripod in the parks and person after person after person comes up and tries to hand you a PhotoPass card to take their picture. I'm not sure if that happens to others, too, or if I just have a PhotoPass look to me.
I had a good laugh with this. It happens to me quite a bit. I notice more in the MK than any other park. As for waiting for nobody to be in your pic i just wait until after hours when no one is around. I have to do this every trip now.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Was just reminded of another one of my (non-Disney) pet peeves.

Like others on this board I'm considered the "family photographer" and am more than fine with that, but sometimes feel under appreciated. My pet peeve is when I post photos on facebook or online and don't receive any type of feedback. I make an effort to adjust and post a few photos from a family event, the least someone can do is let me know that they saw them. I don't need someone to post a comment, but they could at least like a group of photos to let me know they saw them. I realize its not that big of a deal, but it does annoy me.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #30
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Was just reminded of another one of my (non-Disney) pet peeves.

Like others on this board I'm considered the "family photographer" and am more than fine with that, but sometimes feel under appreciated. My pet peeve is when I post photos on facebook or online and don't receive any type of feedback. I make an effort to adjust and post a few photos from a family event, the least someone can do is let me know that they saw them. I don't need someone to post a comment, but they could at least like a group of photos to let me know they saw them. I realize its not that big of a deal, but it does annoy me.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
I agree! I get friends and family all the time who nag me to bring my camera to a gathering and make nonstop special requests for photos, but when I post on facebook or take the time to upload and send them a zenfolio link, they do not acknowledge in anyway.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: