Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

What are your WDW (or personal) photography pet peeves?

I'm in the process of starting to research for my trip WDW this summer and was reminded of two photography related things that happened in the parks that annoyed me much more that they should.

1. Maybe it's more out of jealousy but people who have a much nicer DSLR or lenses than I do but have no idea how to use them. I can't tell you how many times I saw people struggling to use their led screen to take outdoor photos, when one of the advantages of a dslr is the optical view finder. I'm convinced that too may DSLR owners don't even know what the view finder intended for or that it is even there.

2. The amount of people who shoot all of their photos/videos on a cell phone. Now I know that smart phones cameras have gotten so much better over the last year or two, and they are now much more of a legitimate option, but my experience was based on my last trip in June 2011. It would just make me cringe when I would see that "magical" once in a life time experience and someone was shooting the photo on a VGA quality flip phone. I know a trip to Disney World is expensive but for well under $200 you can get a very nice p&s camera.

Anyone ele have any pet peeves they want to bring up?
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
wbeem
DIS Veteran

1: People who use the flash on their cell phone and think it will light the entire Cinderella Castle/Spaceship Earth, etc.

2: People who see me with my tripod taking a shot, make eye contact with me, and then walk right in front of my camera anyway. Bonus points if they duck their head down, like it will make any bit of difference as their body blocks my lens.

3: Photographers who take themselves too seriously. After all, it's an amusement park. We just have to be patient and wait for our opportunities. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

William said it well:
1. Flash flash for everything, especially night photography. On my last trip, people were giving me funny looks when I would set up my tripod. Why use a tripod when I have an external flash? Duh!!!

2. For people that don't know, ducking under a fisheye lens doesn't help.

3. Why is it when I'm already set up with the tripod against a fence do some crazy people try to squeeze in front. Can I attach a shocking mechanism to the tripod.

4. And lastly, I have friends who bought DSLRs and use them in auto and wonder why their photos look the same as their P&S photos. I would never let the camera choose a focus point.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Oh, I like the tripod taser idea!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I don't tend to pay much attention to what people take photographs with - if they are happy, I'm happy. I get more upset when people are inconsiderate about it. My biggest pet peeves are (1) using a flash or auto focus assist light on dark rides; (2) holding up an iPad in front of someone and either blocking the view or making it all about that big, bright screen; and (3) standing on one side of a sidewalk to take a picture of their family on the other side of the sidewalk, taking forever to get the shot, and getting upset when people walk between.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post
I don't tend to pay much attention to what people take photographs with - if they are happy, I'm happy. I get more upset when people are inconsiderate about it. My biggest pet peeves are (1) using a flash or auto focus assist light on dark rides; (2) holding up an iPad in front of someone and either blocking the view or making it all about that big, bright screen; and (3) standing on one side of a sidewalk to take a picture of their family on the other side of the sidewalk, taking forever to get the shot, and getting upset when people walk between.
Yup. This year, my pet peeve is the Fruit Bat. They seem to fly about everywhere and leave huge wing trails behind them. Not sure if the mini version is going to make things better either!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
wbeem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMe View Post
(3) standing on one side of a sidewalk to take a picture of their family on the other side of the sidewalk, taking forever to get the shot, and getting upset when people walk between.
That's a good one, too. I try to politely wait, but I've been known to give up waiting and mutter something like "pull the trigger" as I finally walk by them.

When someone extend you the courtesy of waiting for you to take the shot...TAKE THE SHOT!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
2. The amount of people who shoot all of their photos/videos on a cell phone. Now I know that smart phones cameras have gotten so much better over the last year or two, and they are now much more of a legitimate option, but my experience was based on my last trip in June 2011. It would just make me cringe when I would see that "magical" once in a life time experience and someone was shooting the photo on a VGA quality flip phone. I know a trip to Disney World is expensive but for well under $200 you can get a very nice p&s camera.
9 out of 10 times I can't be bothered to lug my camera into the parks. I generally just whip out my iphone. So for me, it's not once in a lifetime memories. As much as I love my camera, I like carrying it light.

I pretty much don't care what other people do with their cameras. My only pet peeve are those using backlit screens on dark rides. Or flashing constantly on a dark ride.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

My only pet peeve is people who use the flash when the rules say they're not supposed to.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

#1 bird doggers who have to look at every single shot in the LCD after taking it.

#2 people who share photos either on web sites, in person, or worse have prints made, when it is obvious the shooter knows nothing about the rule of 3rds for composition, or have exposures so out of whack its hard to look at.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

9 out of 10 times I can't be bothered to lug my camera into the parks. I generally just whip out my iphone. So for me, it's not once in a lifetime memories. As much as I love my camera, I like carrying it light.

I pretty much don't care what other people do with their cameras. My only pet peeve are those using backlit screens on dark rides. Or flashing constantly on a dark ride.
I do agree that the current crop of smartphones do a nice job with and for most people do a good enough job, but for me I just can't imagine not having some type of zoom lens. I only used my DSLR in the park 2 of our 7 days because of 100+ temps. While my point and shoot (Nikon P300) may not have been as good, the convenience more than made up for it. Again, it's a matter of preference, and people can use whatever works for them, but for me the idea of using any phone from 2+ years ago for all my vacation photos would never work. Also, it's not like a point and shoot is that hard to carry around (fit nicely in my cargo shorts)

Also, agree about how people react about tripods. Too often it seems like they just don't know what to do. I have found that the photographer with the tripod can also be the problem. We saw what appeared to be a family doing a photoshot and having other people directing others out of the way. Have no idea how long they were doing it but I know it was at least a few minutes.

Also, agree with the flash. The sad reality of it is that most people have no idea how to turn it off. It's the same with auto focus, most people have never taken their cameras out of auto mode.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do agree that the current crop of smartphones do a nice job with and for most people do a good enough job, but for me I just can't imagine not having some type of zoom lens. I only used my DSLR in the park 2 of our 7 days because of 100+ temps. While my point and shoot (Nikon P300) may not have been as good, the convenience more than made up for it. Again, it's a matter of preference, and people can use whatever works for them, but for me the idea of using any phone from 2+ years ago for all my vacation photos would never work. Also, it's not like a point and shoot is that hard to carry around (fit nicely in my cargo shorts)
If I didn't live here I'd probably carry it in more. I also do photography enough that I just need a break from it at times. Sometimes I go for the photography, but mostly now I just go to hang out with my family. I'll take better pics more often this time of year when the weather is nice. But in the summer....no way, lol
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

If I didn't live here I'd probably carry it in more. I also do photography enough that I just need a break from it at times. Sometimes I go for the photography, but mostly now I just go to hang out with my family. I'll take better pics more often this time of year when the weather is nice. But in the summer....no way, lol
I do agree that if you live around there or visit often a iPhone is more than adequate. In my case it was my first time back in 20+ years and my 2 nieces first visit! Seeing that they invited me for that occasion, taking photos of the trip was one of the ways of paying them back. I guess I was looking at it from the point of view of a first visit or occasional family vacation.

Were going again this summer and the heat is the one thing I'm not looking forward too. Don't think my DSLR will be going every day. LOL
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegood2 View Post
Also, agree with the flash. The sad reality of it is that most people have no idea how to turn it off. It's the same with auto focus, most people have never taken their cameras out of auto mode.
Absolutely agree. I was at my DD's dance concert and the guy behind me didn't know how to turn his AF assist beam off. I showed him how during intermission.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
havoc315
DIS Veteran

To each their own. If people want to use dSLRs as large point and shoots, go for it. If people want to use their iPhones or iPads, those cameras are just as good as cheap point and shoots, and allows them to instantly share. So can't blame them -- in fact, even with my "real" camera in the other hand, I've snapped some quick iPhone shots just to instantly email or Facebook.
I'm only peeved if someone is disruptive -- if they use their flash in a dark ride.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: