Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Movie Theaters

This is probably a silly question, but....

Do the movie theaters play movies at night, all day long, or how often? If they play in the late evening will it be looked down upon if I bring my kids in their jammies to snuggle up in the movie theater for a movie???

The last few nights we've been getting them ready for bed and snuggling up on the couch for a Disney movie, so I started wondering about doing this in the theater. I know that we could do this in the stateroom though.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

No one will even notice if the kids are in their pj's! Bring a blanket, some hot chocolate and enjoy. OR- watch funnel vision in the dark, we love to do that at night, coffee or hot chocolate in hand, all snuggled in a blanket.
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Look at some Navigators from past cruises; the Buena Vista Theater is typically open all day and plays movies into the evening hours, like a normal theatre, they'll even have 10:00pm shows. I don't think anyone will look down on you at doing anything with your kids late at night, though typically they show more "grown-up" movies for the evening showings.

You're right about the stateroom of course - you'll have a ton of movies on demand that you can snuggle up and watch there.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Movies are playing at all hours, especially in the Buena Vista Theater and, as PP noted, outside on Funnel Vision by the pools. The issue might be what movies are playing late at night. A couple of weeks ago, some of our late night options were The Avengers, Lincoln, Frankenweenie or The Odd Life of Timothy Green. A decent assortment of age-appropriate movies (from kid to adult -- e.g., Lincoln was awesome, but definitely not a kid movie). Thus, it will just be a matter of seeing what's playing on any particular night and planning accordingly. Might also depend on what you (or your kids, as the case may be) deem to be "late night." With 3- and 5-year olds, 8:30 might be late night, and your options would probably open up a bit more there (e.g., Wreck-It-Ralph was the special feature one night in the Walt Disney Theater).

Seems like there was almost always a kid-friendly movie being played up on the pool deck, subject to pirate night party or a football game ('tis the season, I guess!). There is definitely a neat feel to being "outside" and within spitting distance of the Eye Scream ice cream dispensers or Tow-Mater's or Luigi's for some pizza or other fun foods and having a movie to watch (...whereas the indoor theater "concession stand" charges for its food, I think).

As for pajamas....go for it. We saw full-fledged grown-ups walking around in pajamas in the main atrium one morning so they could get a fun picture with Santa Goofy. If your kids (or you) are wearing PJs in a dark theater, I can promise you that nobody will care. If anything, they'll be jealous that they didn't also think of it!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

I wore pajamas one night to watch a movie up on the pool deck and my DD4 wore pjs a few of the nights to the kids club after dinner!
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
Might also depend on what you (or your kids, as the case may be) deem to be "late night." With 3- and 5-year olds, 8:30 might be late night, and your options would probably open up a bit more there (e.g., Wreck-It-Ralph was the special feature one night in the Walt Disney Theater).
LOL, exactly by late evening I mean bedtime which for my kiddos is usually 9pm, so I'm thinking around 8pm for a movie would be good timing. I just wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette to walk around the ship in PJ's, it's not exactly Wal-Mart
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

If the movie on the funnel vision or in the theater is one that you aren't interested in seeing or the weather is bad on deck, the stateroom TVs have tons of Disney movies you can watch on demand.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
DL1957
DIS Veteran

On one crusie at sea day DH and I watched 4 movies at the theater. The last one started at 10 and many folks all adults where there is PJs with their pillows and blankets. DCL is definately a family ship with a family feel to it.
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI, but they do play some R rated films and those are the ones usually shown later at night. While nobody will mind you bringing your kids in their PJs, you might not want to bring them to those later shows because of content.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
sambycat
DIS Veteran

people walk around in their pajamas? really? wow.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
flyingcat2003
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Just got back from the 5 day double dip Christmas cruise on the Disney Dream. Trust me, you can bring your kids in Pj's. Get soda's, hot chocolate (on deck 11 free) and bring snacks from home or buy them at the concession stand and enjoy the movies. They play movies all day and at night too. If you would prefer, they have Disney movies on demand in your stateroom that you can watch anytime. We usually turned on a movie at bed time and fell asleep watching them every night.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
If the movie on the funnel vision or in the theater is one that you aren't interested in seeing or the weather is bad on deck, the stateroom TVs have tons of Disney movies you can watch on demand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2003 View Post
Just got back from the 5 day double dip Christmas cruise on the Disney Dream. Trust me, you can bring your kids in Pj's. Get soda's, hot chocolate (on deck 11 free) and bring snacks from home or buy them at the concession stand and enjoy the movies. They play movies all day and at night too. If you would prefer, they have Disney movies on demand in your stateroom that you can watch anytime. We usually turned on a movie at bed time and fell asleep watching them every night.

I will point out the on demand movies are only available on the Dream & Fantasy. The Magic & Wonder have Disney (as well as others) movies on 5 or 6 channels running continously day and night.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When a new Disney movie is premiering in the U.S. theatres, it also premEARS onboard the Disney ships at 12:01 a.m. For those who don't want to stay up that late (yawn!) it will also play several times the next day.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
people walk around in their pajamas? really? wow.

Some people organize PJ breakfasts in the MDR.

To the OP -- yes kids will walk around the ship in their PJs. We did that when ours were 3 & 5 on our first cruise on the second night after the show. In fact, we met Cinderella in the hallway on deck 5 and she gushed about DD's Cinderella and DS's Mickey PJs. Some kids go to the OC in their PJs at night. It makes it much easier for the parents to just pick them up off the mat when they fall asleep watching a movie there and put them right into bed.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
jodical
Mouseketeer

We had the early seating in the MDRs and we would change into PJs after dinner before the shows in the Walt Disney Theater each night. There were 10 of us!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: