Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #556
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
I'm a cruel parent. With my ex-wife's kids they were scared to go on Splash Mountain because my ex had freaked out at the "drop" from the ride. They cried from the moment they got into line until they got into the boat. Then they were all excited and when we got off the ride they wanted to do it again.

I wouldn't suggest it for every kid but I think in some cases it's good to help kids conquer their fear of the unknown.
I was a mean parent too...I guess the thing to know is if they are afraid of the ride or afraid of the unknown.

We are a family that likes to ride roller coasters. At some point we had to make my youngest try a loopy roller coaster to see if she actually did or did not like them too. There was gnashing of teeth and bribes but she did it and was proud afterward.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #557
FirstTimeDisneyVisit
Mouseketeer

Wearing flip flops while walking Epcot. Absolutely killed my feet and made walking all the other parks a lot harder. For now on i will always wear sneakers and when my feet need breathe i will just switch to my crocks that i bought at Disney !

September 2011 - All Star Sports
September 2012 - Coronado Springs Resort
September 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #558
SnoWhiteRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by csummerlin55 View Post
You're not, by chance, referring to a trip in 12/2010?
We went in 12/2010 and it was cold! Coldest trip we ever had....

Next Trip 8/14 So Much to Celebrate! ASMo * 12/10 Our Very Merry SuRpRiSe ChRiStMaS TRiP * 1/08 Grand Gathering POR - Papa's 70th & Blaise's 6th - Pirate & Princess Party! * 11/05 POR - Jersey Week - Food & Wine Festival * 12/04 POP & ASMo - MVMCP * 10/02 POFQ & ASMo - DD 4th Birthday & MNSSHP * 5/01 AKL & POR - Flower & Garden Festival * 5/00 ASMo - Flower & Garden Festival * Childhood trips... 7/83 Disneyland * 2/79 POL * 12/75 First Trip - age 6 (off site) Thanks Gramma for the best Christmas gift ever! I'll always remember the magic...*

Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #559
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoWhiteRabbit View Post
We went in 12/2010 and it was cold! Coldest trip we ever had....
That was the coldest trip a LOT of folks have had.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #560
mmcguire
DIS Veteran

If we can help it, we will never buy passes or hopper passes; only AP. We bought our first APs about 4 years ago, after 15 years of visiting the parks. It totally changed the dynamic of our trips.

Instead of rushing constantly, feeling like we have to squeeze every second of park time out of our passes, we are much more relaxed, spend time at the pool, and don't feel like it's a waste if we only spend a few hours at a park. It actually feels like we are on vacation now instead of planning an attack.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #561
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
They cried from the moment they got into line until they got into the boat.
That is part of the problem. Nobody wants to stand in line with someone's crying kids. Kind of puts a damper on the fun.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #562
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Bring more than 1 pair of tennis shoes! We usually go in late May/early June aka the beginning of monsoon season. ONCEi only took one pair of tennis shoes and I spent the whole week with soggy tennis shoes. Now I bring 2 and trade off if they get wet!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #563
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieGal457 View Post
Forget bug spray (while at Caribbean Beach, specifically), lose my locker key at the water parks, and not bring enough spray sunscreen! Otherwise I'm not sure I've made too many mistakes, I feel. Also, I will not leave home medicine that I may even have a slight chance of needing. My parents weren't too happy overnight FedEx-ing me a 1" bottle of eye drops a few trips ago!
I am a traveling pharmacy when we go! I have. dd who has allergies and tends to STILL get sick the first day down, she's 24 now. The first time she had croup and we had to rush her to the doctor. The next trip I had to pay out the wazoo for Benadryl at the CBR store. Now I bring EVERYTHING!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #564
daisyh5
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post

I was a mean parent too...I guess the thing to know is if they are afraid of the ride or afraid of the unknown.

We are a family that likes to ride roller coasters. At some point we had to make my youngest try a loopy roller coaster to see if she actually did or did not like them too. There was gnashing of teeth and bribes but she did it and was proud afterward.
I'm a member of the mean parent club too. Bribes..... And also lies. My youngest was always scared to try rides. One trip we convinced him that there was a fast and slow side to Space Mountain (Lie) and he loved it! For several years he said he would only ride the slow side. Lol. Regardless of the side we were on we always told him it was the slow one. After a few years, he caught on. He couldn't believe we would do such a thing. 😄
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #565
CapeCodMouse
I swear, I'm not obssessed!

1. NEVER miss a dinner reservation you made during a party. We decided not to attend our 7:20 ADR at Ohana because we didn't want to leave the party. Huge mistake! We then waited 1 1/2 hrs at Casey's in a jostling crowd to get hot dogs. By that time my husbands blood sugar was so low he was VERY grumpy. He was fine after we ate and we went on to enjoy the party. Lesson learned

2. I will never go alone w/ just me and DS again. Ended up in Celebration Hospital for 6 hrs our 2nd day there when I woke up w/both cheeks swollen like a chipmunk. They thought I had mumps and were going to quarantine both DS and me. Turns out I just had an infection of the same glands that swell w/mumps. Phew! But had to soldier on the rest of the trip despite feeling like crap when all I wanted to do was sleep. If DH had been there I could have taken it easy

Those are my 2 biggies.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #566
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
Do any of the parks "commando".

I will not go into detail.
Omg. Hysterical.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #567
acwsmom
Mouseketeer

Walking around a park with a map in my hand and arguing with DH and the kids about what we should do next!

Adult's Only Anniversary Celebration Sept 2013
Pop Century, May 2012 -- Pop Century, Nov 2010 --
Pop Century, Oct 2009 -- Offsite & Kids First Trip 2008 -- My First WDW Trip 1989
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #568
siestakey
Malificent Fan

I love Captain EO. I go to that at least twice each trip!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #569
~Brandy~
Now closer to the mouse!

Going during spring break. I knew the crowds would be bad... but I really felt cheated out of my park time.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #570
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodMouse View Post
1. NEVER miss a dinner reservation you made during a party. We decided not to attend our 7:20 ADR at Ohana because we didn't want to leave the party. Huge mistake! We then waited 1 1/2 hrs at Casey's in a jostling crowd to get hot dogs. By that time my husbands blood sugar was so low he was VERY grumpy. He was fine after we ate and we went on to enjoy the party. Lesson learned
Why would you make a reservation during a party, especially at a restaurant at a resort? The party only lasts for 5 hours and doing a meal outside the park means you would probably miss at least 2 hours of the party. The tickets cost about $60 and to only be there for maybe 3 hours seems like a waste of money to me. If you really want to do an ADR on a party night, especially at a resort, I would make it for no later than 5:00; I've done a 5:00 ADR at Chef Mickey's before going to the MVMCP.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: