Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #511
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Oh and a BIG one for me.. I had to learn I don't control everyone elses good time. I can't keep people from being cranky and it's also not my job to fix it if they are. We had many a vacation meltdown because I felt I was in charge of everyones good time. Now if someone is tired or miserable I realize it's just going to happen and wait for it to pass.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #512
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I will never go on a vacation without being willing to separate from time to time. I went once with some friends and one of the girls took charge and planned out everyone's day. It drove me a bit crazy and finally I refused to get up one morning and told them I would sleep in and meet them for lunch. I didn't sleep in but I did get up and do what I wanted for a few hours. It was nice.

It wasn't so much that she didn't plan fun things. It's just that if someone stopped to look at something for sale or suggested getting a snack, she'd freak because the schedule might get messed up. Ugh, I don't like things planned to that much detail.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #513
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
It wasn't so much that she didn't plan fun things. It's just that if someone stopped to look at something for sale or suggested getting a snack, she'd freak because the schedule might get messed up. Ugh, I don't like things planned to that much detail.
I've seen posts from people who are trying to make timed itineraries, and all I can think is that they're setting themselves up for a lot of frustration, and most likely mutiny if they're part of a group.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #514
cubfans
Mouseketeer

We will NEVER stay off property again! We have done it 3 times now and always kick ourselves for making the wrong choice (for us). The vacation just doesn't have the same "feel" if you know what I mean. This last spring break we stayed at Orange Lake by AK. After about the 10th call from a pushy time share rep I lost my temper and ended up ruining my own day. Each time we end up comparing the construction, the pools, the landscaping, the food and the service to our favorite Disney resort. There is a reason we go back year after year and the resorts may be the biggest part of the experience. We are Mousejunkies and don't care who knows it!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #515
Comeundone87
Mouseketeer

My mistakes on our first family trip to FL and WDW

#1 Whole family getting sunburn the day before MK - It was cloudy and about to rain any minute why should we put on sunscreen before going in the ocean

#2 Stopping to buy hats for everyone on the way to MK because of the sun burn mentioned in #1. We wasted ALOT of time in a crappy store.

#3 Getting to MK at 11:00 on July 3

#4 eating at all the wrong times. It would be nice out and we would stop to eat indoors only for it to start raining the second we went outside.

#5 Not knowing and going on Stitch with sunburn, late at night, being wet from the rain. Stitch was bad enough but with the sunburn it was excruciating and DD4 was cold and scared and cried the whole time.

#6 Letting DH decide he was going to try to quit smoking the week we were on vacation. He tried really hard, but he was crankier than a 2 year old without a nap.

Despite the above, FL and WDW have become our favorite family vacation spot.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #516
purpledisneyprncess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubswife View Post
I will NEVER, EVER go to DISNEY with my psycho SIL. Ever. Just typing this reminds me of that vacation and gets my blood boiling.
Same here!!!! Mine is a dangerous combination of being too bossy/controlling and not very smart. SIL's family went to Disney World a couple of months ago, this was her THIRD trip there and they thought they had to pay for fastpass; at the very end of their trip she called her sister who informed her FP was free. My step daughter went with them and she came back with some very funny stories. Sat in 2 hour plus lines! My dear SD had an okay trip but said nothing was planned out right. They even spent 20 minutes in the car lost trying to get to Hollywood Studios while evil SIL screamed at her husband b/c SHE got lost. lol

The 1 and only vacation we went on with them was terrible and would never do it again.

OK back to topic.... My mistakes that I won't make again at Disney:
1.) We went to the 3 other parks before MK and the magic had worn off before we even got to our favorite park. We only planned it that way this time b/c we wanted our first day at MK to be on our son's birthday.. still..... MK is going to be our first or at least second day in the parks!
2.) Rushing out of our room and not taking 2 seconds and throwing snacks in our bags. Ended up paying $1.50 each for small bananas!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #517
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I've seen posts from people who are trying to make timed itineraries, and all I can think is that they're setting themselves up for a lot of frustration, and most likely mutiny if they're part of a group.
I made timed itineraries the first couple times we went, but I also took the time to understand why some rides were recommended early and some late. So when my family wanted to wander off course, I could accommodate them and simply shuffle the times around in the back of my mind, and pick up where we left off when they were done. I discovered my kids were way less stressed about "I have to ride that, right now!" because I could reassure them that it was on the itinerary and tell them approximately when we'd get back to it.

Now I just know what we like and when's best to see it, so I don't need a formal itinerary any more. Although I do still like to follow Josh's recommendations on best parks.

One of our first mistakes, on our very first trip, was departing completely from the itinerary and taking a chance on Goofy's Barnstormer in the middle of the day because the wait time said only 20 minutes. It then broke down and we sat in line, in the sun, for nearly an hour. And then after all that anticipation the ride turned out to be about ten seconds long and hugely disappointing. It was awful! My kids still maintain it's the worst ride in WDW.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #518
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I continue to be just amazed that people really do this. I consider myself an uber-planner but all it includes is this:

1) get to rope drop
2) head to space
3) get Buzz FPs
4) do PP

lunch at XXX
stake out spot early for Wishes

That is a heavily planned day for me. Mostly I just do all my research so I can make the best decisions on the fly about where to head after our first few predetermined choices.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #519
wide receiver
Mouseketeer

Mistake #1….paying full price for a Disney Package! We always find a special offer either through Disney or renting from DVC….makes it possible for more trips!

Mistake #2…."Allowing" my DH to bring his ear phones for his iPhone….he listens to talk radio while we wait in line…at least I have my two kiddos to keep me company!!
1988 Disneyland* * * * * * * * *2010 Disneyland
2001 Disneyland* * * * * * * * *2011 DisneylandParis
2005 AKL********************2011 Kidani/Wilderness
Old 04-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #520
Kristian
Mouseketeer

A big one for our family is to no longer waste so much time waiting on parades/fireworks. Don't get me wrong, we love the parades and the firework's, but what I don't love is the pushy people who end up ruining the experience. This pretty much pertains to the MK for the most part and it's mainly the parades. We've stood on Main Street or have gotten a nice spot near the castle for a parade way ahead of time and I've noticed that on a few occasions someone will come by at the last minute and ask if their kid(s) can stand in front of us (which I have no problem with) and then little by little, their parents inch their way in and practically stand on top of us or even in front of us. Or adults with no children just take it upon themselves to stand in front/on top of us. I think that it's pretty rude for an adult to cut in front of a 4 year old when we've been waiting in a spot for close to an hour. It just isn't worth it for us and I can't justify it. If we happen to be in an area near a parade and we happen to get a decent spot, then we'll stop and watch. Otherwise, I don't let it determine when we need to stop doing attractions and such so that we can secure a spot. The only time that I will make an effort is for MNSSHP and even then we watch the second parade of the night instead of the first in order to let the crowd filter out. Dd loves the rides and shows anyway, so we are going to concentrate more on those in the evening rather than keeping a watch on the time so that we can get a spot for a parade. It's just what works better for us.

Last edited by Kristian; 04-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #521
Haley/Hayden Mom
Mouseketeer

Ours is to never eat a buffet breakfast (even if there are characters there) the morning after having dinner at Ohana. You feel so stuffed still from the night before that you can't enjoy the breakfast.
DH (46) Me (38) parents of a Fiddle Girl (13) and Princess Peanut (9) May 30-June 6, 2009 1st trip ASMusic June 4-June 11,2010 CBR Surprise we going to Disney!!!!! (Shhhh don't tell the kids) Heigh Ho Heigh Ho off to ASSports we go w/ free dining too. June 5-10, 2011 May 26-June 2, 2012 ASMu and Star Wars Weekend, Here we come!!!!
Aug 15-19, 2012 Because 1 trip wasn't enough this year. Ready to tackle the ruins at CSR May 18-25, 2013 time to party at POP August 7-11,2013 jumped in and bought APs. SSR here we come. Nov 7-10, 2013 Jingle Jungle 5K and MVMCP time at POFQ May 24-June 1, 2014 CSR here we come for our princesses bday
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #522
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agavegirl1 View Post
Not using photo pass or having the cast member take a photo with my camera. Ended up with a bunch of pics of scenery or just me or my BF in the picture (but not together).
The only good pictures I have of our family were taken by Photopass. For us, it's worth every penny. A one hour sitting with a local photographer for an exterior family shoot costs $100 and Photopass isn't much more. So for us, it's our annual family shoot and then some.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #523
SlightlyocdDisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Another plug for a planned day

Our biggest mistake has been not planning our days. Our first trip to DW was heavily researched, planned and super fun. The second trip, we figured that we knew what we were doing and planned much less. Once there, we found ourselves spending more time trying to figure out where we wanted to be, what we wanted to do, and where we should eat. Every moment was another decision to make, so we spent much less time really enjoying anything.

So now, we heavily plan (yes, detailed itinerary) and then adjust or blow up the plan as the day evolves. And now that we have kids, having a plan is even more critical. For our family, going into a day with a plan of action makes it a much more relaxing adventure.

1995 - All Star Resort; 2000 - Dixie Landing; 2004 - Coronado Springs; 2007 - Polynesian; 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside; 2013 - Polynesian; 2015 - Planning for Aulani; Plus more trips to Disneyland than could be counted!!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #524
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide receiver View Post
"Allowing" my DH to bring his ear phones for his iPhone….he listens to talk radio while we wait in line
I can sooo sympathize with this! My DH is under the impression that he is eternally 17. Not only has he tried to wear ear buds in lines, but also just walking around the park.

Since he is a blank slate every day, I have had to tell him on several occasions to put them in his pocket or we were going our separate ways for the day.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #525
wide receiver
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortForever View Post
I can sooo sympathize with this! My DH is under the impression that he is eternally 17. Not only has he tried to wear ear buds in lines, but also just walking around the park.

Since he is a blank slate every day, I have had to tell him on several occasions to put them in his pocket or we were going our separate ways for the day.
Aww thanks! Some how it always makes me feel better to know I'm not alone! I like the firm and non-co-dependant "separate ways for a day" idea…I'll try that. I know DH really doesn't want to miss the thrill of it all!
1988 Disneyland* * * * * * * * *2010 Disneyland
2001 Disneyland* * * * * * * * *2011 DisneylandParis
2005 AKL********************2011 Kidani/Wilderness
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: