Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #496
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Now we're entirely out of the nap stage, but we take a swim break at our resort just to have some down time away from the parks. I think the moral of the story is to give something a try, but be willing to change it (and continue changing it!) if it doesn't work for you.
Some us us never grow out of the nap stage!

My big mistake was trying to stay from rope drop until park close. My poor husband ended up trying to sleep on a bench at one point.

We would have had a much better time if we'd just gone back to the hotel for a couple hours.

Last edited by Magpie; 04-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #497
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Fantasmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Our 6-year-old was terrified, as were tons of other kids around us. And honestly, I thought the "show" was just a mish-mosh of random images with no real cohesion. Basically, they take you through Mickey's worst nightmare - seriously. The effects of the picture on the water was kinda cool, for a minute or two. And then it's good luck not getting trampled leaving the theatre. We'd have walked out in the middle, but it was so dark, we couldn't see the stairs well enough to do so safely.
This was my exact same reaction to Fantasmic - I was very underwhelmed. We even did the F! dinner package so we could get a good seat without waiting in huge lines, and when we finally saw the show, I thought, "This is it???"

I know lots of people love it, but I guess I just don't get it. I guess that's what makes the world go 'round. I love Soarin', but lots of folks don't - go figure!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #498
bubbapeanut
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I won't go to Disney with friends again. Even well tested Disney-loving friends. Not gonna happen.

But then I have to make at least one new mistake every trip, right?
I so whole heartedly agree with this....
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #499
Waddler
Mouseketeer

I will never wear sandals in the parks again. Running shoes and wicking socks only, no matter how homely they might look.

Also, after a back injury that has taken several years to finally heal properly... I will NEVER take for granted the ability to walk all day, ride rollercoasters, and sit on bench seats without pain.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #500
turftoega
Family sherpa and pack mule

7AM Chef Mickey's reservations the morning after closing EPCOT or DHS with EMH. Makes vacation too much like real life with 5AM wake-up calls after going to bed around midnight....

Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #501
MackenzieFL
Mouseketeer

I don't like over-planning our days... and any time I did, I've regretted it. A little planning is good-- like MNSSHP tickets or deciding which park to go to by EMH or even a character meal or something like that, but beyond that I prefer to wing it. I really started enjoying the parks more when I stopped thinking about how to squeeze every little thing into our trip, and we just let things happen. Never felt like we were missing anything, in fact some cool spontaneous things have occurred and if we did not get to see something... well, there's always next trip to look forward to that.

I guess that's why I don't like ADRs, I simply can't plan when and where I'm going to eat before I even get there.

[i]Sigh... he wants to marry me all over again! And take me to Walt Disney World for a romantic honeymoon... no wonder I'm still so in love with him!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #502
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

1. Take ferry to MK in morning. Several times we've arrived right before the express monorail opens. Lots of people waiting for resort monorail so we took the ferry. Took so long that we didn't make RD.
2. Not take same picture as PP photographer. Too many times have my pics not shown up on PP card (and weren't able to be recovered).
3. Do anything before sign up for JTA when kids have heart set on it
4. Try to eat at CS after Star Wars parade. Waited in line 1 hour at Pizza Planet last June.
5. Leave rain gear in car/hotel and riding Kali River without rain gear
6. Schedule TS breakfast the morning after eating at Ohana's. Too much food
7. Going to first parade at MVMCP. Ruined the party for me.
8. Taking preschoolers to It's Tough to be a bug. 5 years later, they are still too scared to try it again.
9. Ellen's Universe, Backlot tour. Both take too long.
10. Not eating dinner before 7pm at HS. CS seem to close early there and we've wandered park looking for food.

Most importantly
11. Using the security latch on resort room door. Our 1 year old closed the connecting room door - locking himself in one of our two rooms all by himself. It was quite an ordeal to get him out. Housekeeping couldn't even open door. Maintenance had to come break the latch off the door to get our son out.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #503
geniegirl
DIS Veteran

I agree no extended family. Did 1 trip wit FIL and he never left our side. Did another trip with my parents and our schedules are too different to work. We are rope droppers and dinner at resort types with kids to bed, they are afternoon park goers till late. While it was nice for them to see the kids it was too much stress.

1975 In Mom's Belly ~ 1983 Poly ~ 1985 Poly ~ 1988 8th Grade Band Trip ~ 2000 All Star Music ~ 2004 Riverside ~ 2008 All Star Sports ~ 2009 Caribbean Beach ~2012 Pop Century ~ 2013 - Offsite ~ 2014 AKL ~ 2014 OKW
(38) (DP 38) (DS 7) (DS 3)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #504
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

Not using photo pass or having the cast member take a photo with my camera. Ended up with a bunch of pics of scenery or just me or my BF in the picture (but not together).
Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #505
mickeychick06
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniegirl View Post
I agree no extended family. Did 1 trip wit FIL and he never left our side. Did another trip with my parents and our schedules are too different to work. We are rope droppers and dinner at resort types with kids to bed, they are afternoon park goers till late. While it was nice for them to see the kids it was too much stress.
I made the mistake several times of trying to please everyone when we went to Disney with various members of our extended family. The last time I finally got it right- I made a set of cards for every room in our party. The cards told everyone where my husband, sister, and I would be each day. I wrote that they were welcome to join us at any time and just text us when you get to the park. It was wonderful. We got up and going on our own time. Most days we met up with the rest of our family at some piont, but there was no frustration over waiting for everyone to be ready.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #506
DisneyFamily7
Disney Fanatic

We will never stay off-site again. We did that for our very first trip back in 1996. Never again. We want 24/7 magic

We no longer buy park-hoppers. We feel like we lose too much time in transit. Same goes for going back to the hotel to rest midday. Our little guy naps in the stroller in the park.

We stake out our spots early for parades and nighttime shows. We love them, and have made the mistake of trying to show up and get a spot at the last minute.
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Disneyland 1987, Disneyland 1995, WDW 1996, WDW 1997 (All Star Music),Disneyland 1997 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 1999 (All Star Movies), WDW 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), WDW 2003 (Fort Wilderness), Disney Cruise 2005 (Disney Magic)/WDW 2005 (All Star Sports), Disneyland 2007 (Disneyland Hotel),WDW 2013 (Pop) Next trip: June 2014 Disneyland
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #507
TwinkleKS
Mouseketeer

Staying at a value resort in June with four teenagers while I was six months pregnant. Anyone of those things might have been doable on its own, but all of it together did not make me a happy camper.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #508
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Few more
12. Do BBB at DTD instead of MK. Waited 45 mins past reservation. It just crowded, cramped and not-so magical.
13. Attend One More Disney Day or any other special event without hard ticket
14. Get a room for "5" instead of 2 rooms
15. Try to do both Future World at walk around World Showcase in same day with kids

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #509
Tdubswife
Mouseketeer

I will NEVER, EVER go to DISNEY with my psycho SIL. Ever. Just typing this reminds me of that vacation and gets my blood boiling.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #510
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackenzieFL View Post
I don't like over-planning our days... and any time I did, I've regretted it. A little planning is good-- like MNSSHP tickets or deciding which park to go to by EMH or even a character meal or something like that, but beyond that I prefer to wing it. I really started enjoying the parks more when I stopped thinking about how to squeeze every little thing into our trip, and we just let things happen. Never felt like we were missing anything, in fact some cool spontaneous things have occurred and if we did not get to see something... well, there's always next trip to look forward to that.

I guess that's why I don't like ADRs, I simply can't plan when and where I'm going to eat before I even get there.
This. We've just changed so much since the first few trips. But the scheduled days worked for us in the beginning when the parks were still so new to us and we didn't know when or if we would be back. Now? We've have 8 family trips under our belt and the urgency is gone. So we follow some basic rules (like always taking a resort break on a hot day) but we wing it the rest of the time and find we enjoy ourselves so much more that way. We even sleep in some days now instead of rope drop. It's better for us to be spontaneous and well rested than exhausted and planned down to the minute.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: