Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Mistakes

1. Going to F&W at night. Epcot was full of drunks who were extremely rude.
1a. Eating the chicken and rice dish from singapore with nothing to drink on hand. Wow that stuff is HOTTTTT.

2. Getting up early just to make a dining adr before we hit a park. We like to sleep in. I now don't book before 10am if I can help it.

3. Going during a busy season. We only go in low seasons now...no need for rope drop (see #2).

4. After almost 20 trips of never eating at Earl of Sandwhich until this last one in Nov. Loved it!

5. Being ride crazy and not stopping to see the roses. On the last trip dh and I didn't worry about getting on every ride or about fp, etc. In 10 days we got 1 fp for TSM. Otherwise if the line was long we just came back later. We rode pretty much everything anyway and got to see lots of side shows, etc we've never noticed before.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #32
MissouriPrincess
Mouseketeer

1. We drove, and I had the brilliant idea to stay offsite the first night to "maximize our time in Disney." So, on our first Disney day, we checked out of our hotel, packed the car, went to MK at rope drop, then at about 1:00 we left to check-in at AKL--Kidani. Room wasn't ready until 2:30. Then, we moved everything in from our car. By that time, it was time to get ready for our ADR at Chef Mickey's at 5:00. Next time, we are just going to our resort and we'll be done with it.

2. We were on the dining plan, and I was weird about using snack credits early in the trip. I used my gift cards I had saved, in the beginning. I'm so weird, and I had snack credits left at the end. I will just use them next time!

June 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge--Kidani Village
June 2014 Port Orleans Riverside/ AKL--Kidani Village
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #33
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I won't go to Disney with friends again. Even well tested Disney-loving friends. Not gonna happen.

But then I have to make at least one new mistake every trip, right?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #34
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Great answers from everyone!

1. Trip insurance...we left right after Sandy hit. No isues but the stress killed me!

2. We were staying BLT and had a pretty early flight out of Pittsburgh. We made the mistake of trying to go to the MK when we got there b\c our room wasn't ready yet. We were all tires, cranky and hungry, in other words, a recipe for disaster! Next time we'll check out the resort, pool, etc.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #35
Miss Mo
DIS Veteran

Not making toddler son go to the bathroom before leaving magic kingdom after fireworks!!! We had a coach driver who clearly got lost and the drive back to POFQ took forever which was no fun for me when the sleeping child on my knee wet himself!! Lol!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
Emagine
DVC Member

Location: DVC Mom smoothered in the Homeschool Room teaching 2 Autistically Wonderful Boys

Agree with a good many of these. Sort of fun hearing others who understand your thoughts lol.

For us, just because our situation, would be buying the meal plan. We did about 7 years ago once when the kids were 3 and under. Now one is an adult but eats like a bird. Tried it the week of Halloween this year and hated it. Sure it is easy to swipe that card. But the food, the cost and the dancing around place to place made it a nightmare. Back to the room and cooler we go!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmj9801 View Post
We NEVER leave the parks for naps. They always napped well in strollers and we didn't have a chunk of our day spent in transportation.
We have NEVER left the park for nap time either. It just seemed like a huge waste of time for us to gather everyone up, go to the car, pack everyone and everything in it, drive back to the resort, etc... Our kids preferred to just nap in the stroller. And for the adults and kids that weren't in the stroller, if we need a rest, we get a snack, and find some shade somewhere.

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #38
sarahlovesmickey
I could probably make Shake N Bake from all the crumbs I have in my keyboard
My DH thinks I'm "Doing the Naughty" on the Budget Board

Okay, after reading this thread, I NEEEEED to add "Eat a dole whip" to my list of TO DOs for our April trip. We've been to Disney many times and we've never had one, but it sounds like they are heavenly!

~~Sarah~Proud ARMY wife and mother of 5 (soon to be 6!) Disney lovers!!!!~~
-DH -me -Bailey(11) -Madelyn(9) -Logan(6) Carter (4) Isabella (2) - Emily
MARCH 1st-7th--DOMINICAN REPUBLIC-2nd HONEYMOON!

2005-Stayed at WestGate Vacation Villas and Westgate Town Center/ 2007 May 5-19- Stayed at Horizons by Marriott/ 2009-April 18-May 2-Sheraton Vistana Villages/ 2010-February-Stayed at Blue Heron Beach Resort/ 2011-January 23-28-Stayed at Red Roof Inn Kissimmee(a VERY Budget friendly trip)/ 2013-April 16-27-Legacy Vacation Resort
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #39
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

1. Never going during the Holiday Season again. It was freezing, crowded..and flu season. No swimming, hats and mittens in the Parks..then 1/2 the week in the room with sick kids. No thank you.

2. I know...I know....but - We will never go WITHOUT the Dining Plan. . Our past trip was our first without it and it just stressed me out WAAAYYY to much. Maybe we saved some $$$ - but our kids are big eaters so sharing sounded good on paper, but was an epic fail in the Parks. We ate off property a few meals to save some $$$. For the little it saved us, we lost a lot in Park time. I am one of the people Disney had in mind when they created the Dining Plan - don't care about the $ for $ return - The idea that our food is paid for...priceless.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #40
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmj9801 View Post
We NEVER leave the parks for naps. They always napped well in strollers and we didn't have a chunk of our day spent in transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlovesmickey View Post
We have NEVER left the park for nap time either. It just seemed like a huge waste of time for us to gather everyone up, go to the car, pack everyone and everything in it, drive back to the resort, etc... Our kids preferred to just nap in the stroller. And for the adults and kids that weren't in the stroller, if we need a rest, we get a snack, and find some shade somewhere.
I'm always happy to see others mentioning the stroller nap alternative. When I was a new mom 13 years ago, I was the recipient of much advice and much of it was the inflexible kind. Nice to see others helping today's new moms by mentioning there are many different ways to approach this. I also like it because after that first day with a little one, we've logged countless days and hours at DL and WDW using the stroller nap (again, because it worked for our kids) and I always like to feel just a little less crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mo View Post
Not making toddler son go to the bathroom before leaving magic kingdom after fireworks!!! We had a coach driver who clearly got lost and the drive back to POFQ took forever which was no fun for me when the sleeping child on my knee wet himself!! Lol!!
I can relate to this! Our youngest did the same on a Disney cruise once while sitting on my lap watching a movie in the theater. On the bright side, I was able to run him right up to our stateroom, give him a bath, change his clothes and become familiar with the laundry room on the ship!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR

Last edited by pixarmom; 12-28-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

We won't do early mornings every day on our next trip. Although we accomplished a lot, we were way too tired and cranky. Also, feeling like we have to eat differently and diversify our meals just because we're away from home with lots of other choices.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!

Last edited by Gorechick; 12-28-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
GusGusGirl
Earning My Ears

Two things we won't do again:

1. Get any of the dining plans. We're happier just getting what we want and not worrying about how many credits we have, what's included, what's not, etc. I do understand why people like them, but they're just not for us.

2. Try to follow a touring plan, at least a highly detailed one. It worked well for us once when we visited WDW with extended family for Christmas one year. In fact, it was the only thing that saved our sanity. But when it's just me and my DH, we do better just getting to the parks early, hitting our favorites, and then going with the flow.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #43
mattsdragon
DDC #595
Lookin' for the Bare Necessities

Do any of the parks "commando".

I will not go into detail.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
ocean702
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
Biggest mistakes we have learned from:

1. Bringing my dd's BFF with us.
2. Getting in line for Maelstrom when you can't see the front of the queue.
3. Showing up hungry at DHS (terrible food options at this park).
4. Nighttime in Animal Kingdom without a clue and without a map.
5. Getting stuck on the "wrong" side of MK during a parade.
I totally agree with # 3 and #5
the 2 best things we learned from our first disney experience...book ADRs at a restaurant that is either in the park you plan to be in or at a resort close to the park you came from or are going to after. And don't hesitate to take a $15 taxi back to the resort after Illuminations or Fantasmic. $15 is totally worth not having to wait for busses back to the resort with EVERYONE ELSE at park close.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

drive again.

We are about 16 hours from WDW. Our first trip with the boys was fairly last minute and a budget trip. After that trip, dh and I decided that if we cannot afford to fly, we won't go.

I really want to see Fantasmic. We try to keep the boys on about the same schedule as at home to avoid meltdowns. That means bedtime about 8-9. I figure that I will get to see it in a few years.........
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: