Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Mistake you will not repeat next time...

When we went to Disney World earlier this month we were super prepared and had the best time of our lives.

One of the things I wanted to do was try a Dole Whip the first day we were at MK. Didn't happen. Second time there... Didn't happen. Third time at MK... Didn't happen. On the last day (4th time at MK) I told my wife that trying a Dole Whip was a priority and it was going to happen.

Well I did get that Dole Whip. I had a taste, my two boys had a taste, my wife had a taste. That Dole Whip was devoured like we were cave people eating a turkey leg!!!! It was Awesome!!!

I wish we would have tried one on day 1!!!!! If we had I can guarantee that the snack credits would have been used up way before our last day at the parks. So next time we go and have the opportunity to try something new earlier in the week we will!

First thing on the agenda next December when we go back is hitting up the Dole Whip stand!

DIS Dad #749

Me (André) DW (Liane) DS (7) DS (4)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I was the same way. It was my 3rd trip (last October) that I FINALLY tried the Dole Whip (after a friend and Disney fan kept asking if I had tried it)!

The Best!

I love them so much, I bought a ice cream maker, and the mix to make at home.

But it does not compare to having them at Disney! I look forward to using snack credits on them in April!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
fallen_angel727
Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

For some reason my touring plan always has us criss-crossing the park for fast passes, rides etc. I hate it and I always say that next time we're going to change that...yet go figure we never do. I was just planning a rough itinerary with my brothers GF and sure enough we start with fastpasses for space mountain and head over to Jungle Cruise...

1991 (offsite), 2000 (offsite), 2004 (offsite), 2009 (offsite - engagement trip!!), 2012 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (POP)

Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
DizzDoll
DIS Veteran

DOLE WHIPS!!!!!! Can't wait for August!!!!! Anyhoo, our mistake - if that's what it's called - was to get 3 cupcakes at Starring Rolls - one for each of us. Those suckers are HUGE!!! Well, we ate 'em, but boy were we sick afterwards. So now the lightbulb went off and we get one at a time and cut them in thirds so we can enjoy without nasty after-effects.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Orreed
Olivia

I have been to Epoct three times, amd still haven't seen Illmuninations! There is no way we are going to miss it this time. It looks incredible.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

Making a dinner reservation for our arrival night. The first time we stayed at POFQ I had made ressies at Chef Mickey's. By the time we arrived at our resort, we had just enough time to drop our stuff off in our room and make it to dinner. This caused a HUGE meltdown in my son. He wanted to go to the pool w/ the waterslide and check out the resort. He was overly tired from traveling. Instead of having a fun dinner at Chef Mickey's (which is what I was thinking....) it was a NIGHTMARE. I won't make that mistake twice.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
budafam
DIS Veteran

Captain EO, never again. lol...

I just got an ice cream machine for Christmas & Dole Whip mix Loving it!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

I'm in a mood.....

Not using talcum powder......is the mistake I will not repeat next time.

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Kouzinna (3.5* dinner; 4* breakfast), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0*), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (1*)

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2015?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2015?).
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
TomTi89
Earning My Ears

Not finding out in advance where the Lynx buses at DTD are.

We spent maybe half an hour to an hour walking around in the May heat trying to find them. A CM even sent us the wrong way once!

Next time if any trip depends on transport, we're learning in advance where it goes from
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

My mistake I won't be repeating is not buying trip insurance. After badly spraining my ankle one week prior to our last trip in September, I won't ever book a vacation without purchasing it again.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
racefans44
Mouseketeer

I decide to forego the Fast Pass and get in the single rider line at the Rock 'n Roller Coaster. BIG MISTAKE. The single rider line at RNRC is very slow. Get the Fast Pass if you can.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

There have been many mistakes through out all of our trips over the years.

One that I will always remember, If a family member is grumpy, feed them or let them swim, encourage a nap, sleep in the next morning. - Do whatever it takes to make them happy.

It makes our vacation a happy vacation.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Our boys are now ages 5, 12 and 13, but when our oldest was a toddler, I thought it was essential to take him back to the resort for a nap. So I took our toddler back to CSR on my own while everyone else stayed at MK. He was way too worked up to nap, but I spent the afternoon in our room trying to get him to fall asleep. It was frustrating. Hours later, I gave up and walked around the resort - he fell asleep in the stroller. So the next day, we just let him nap in the stroller and all was well. He was happy and the stroller nap worked wonders for him. Same for our two younger boys. So I don't think going back to the resort is a mistake for everyone - for some it works really well and IS essential. But I needed to let go of the idea that it was necessary for our kids.

Now we're entirely out of the nap stage, but we take a swim break at our resort just to have some down time away from the parks. I think the moral of the story is to give something a try, but be willing to change it (and continue changing it!) if it doesn't work for you.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/BWI!)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Our boys are now ages 5, 12 and 13, but when our oldest was a toddler, I thought it was essential to take him back to the resort for a nap. So I took our toddler back to CSR on my own while everyone else stayed at MK. He was way too worked up to nap, but I spent the afternoon in our room trying to get him to fall asleep. It was frustrating. Hours later, I gave up and walked around the resort - he fell asleep in the stroller. So the next day, we just let him nap in the stroller and all was well. He was happy and the stroller nap worked wonders for him. Same for our two younger boys. So I don't think going back to the resort is a mistake for everyone - for some it works really well and IS essential. But I needed to let go of the idea that it was necessary for our kids.

Now we're entirely out of the nap stage, but we take a swim break at our resort just to have some down time away from the parks. I think the moral of the story is to give something a try, but be willing to change it (and continue changing it!) if it doesn't work for you.
We NEVER leave the parks for naps. They always napped well in strollers and we didn't have a chunk of our day spent in transportation.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapBoy77 View Post
When we went to Disney World earlier this month we were super prepared and had the best time of our lives.

One of the things I wanted to do was try a Dole Whip the first day we were at MK. Didn't happen. Second time there... Didn't happen. Third time at MK... Didn't happen. On the last day (4th time at MK) I told my wife that trying a Dole Whip was a priority and it was going to happen.

Well I did get that Dole Whip. I had a taste, my two boys had a taste, my wife had a taste. That Dole Whip was devoured like we were cave people eating a turkey leg!!!! It was Awesome!!!

I wish we would have tried one on day 1!!!!! If we had I can guarantee that the snack credits would have been used up way before our last day at the parks. So next time we go and have the opportunity to try something new earlier in the week we will!

First thing on the agenda next December when we go back is hitting up the Dole Whip stand!
We stayed at GF earlier this month and because of the transportation issues with the Monorail and our particular situation, I don't think we will stay at a Monorail hotel until the issues have been addressed and rectified. It's just not worth the extra expense and the frustration to us.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: