Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
tazdev3225
I sucked my thumb up with the vacuum
I fell up a mountain skiing and sprained both my ankles

My mom's new camera. A funny story.

I thought everyone could use a chuckle today so I am sharing a funny story.

My mom has been using a Fuji Finepix digital camera for the past 8 years at least. It is only about 5MP and the screen is so small that you can't see details so that can give you an idea of its age. She told my dad that she wanted a new camera for Christmas.

She opened it yesterday but won't let me see it. She knows it is 10X. I asked optical or digital. She doesn't know it's 10X. It has a dial but she hates that thing so she is putting on whatever makes it work. I tried to explain that she meant auto and got yelled at. I asked what brand. She doesn't know but it's 10X and was on sale. I gave up. She told me that she knew I would ruin everything by trying to help her.

She is happy. Her camera is 10X and she can put it on something to make the camera work. I hope her pics come out.
tazdev3225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Whatever you do don't ever mention shooting in RAW

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDif View Post
Whatever you do don't ever mention shooting in RAW
No way I will even mention that. I thought she was going to go crazy when I mentioned optical or digital.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
My2Girls66
DIS Veteran

She is happy, thats all that matters

I got my dad a new camera for Christmas. He also had an old 5mp with a teeny screen. Now has a Coolpix S9300 with a 3" screen. So much easier to see

Susan
My2Girls66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Reminds me of my mother who knows she wants to eventually get a smartphone, but doesn't have a clue what she would use it for. And bought a blu-ray player, though she would never buy a blu-ray.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Girls66 View Post
She is happy, thats all that matters

I got my dad a new camera for Christmas. He also had an old 5mp with a teeny screen. Now has a Coolpix S9300 with a 3" screen. So much easier to see
I hope she will be happy. I still want to see what camera she bought out of curiosity. As long as she can see the pics she will be happy. I like the Canon Coolpix cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Reminds me of my mother who knows she wants to eventually get a smartphone, but doesn't have a clue what she would use it for. And bought a blu-ray player, though she would never buy a blu-ray.
My mom is like that. She has a basic phone and still "dials" numbers because she can't understand that you can program and call that way. She uses ONE memory card. Never stores the pics externally and doesn't get that she can lose them all if the card goes bad.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdev3225 View Post
She has a basic phone and still "dials" numbers because she can't understand that you can program and call that way.
Careful there.... I'm a "dialer". But I have a weird memory for numbers. It has its up sides though. I can actually call people from ANY phone. You'd be amazed at how many of my daughter's friends don't know their mom's phone number. Because all they ever do is hit the name in a menu.

Glad your mom likes her camera. Lots of folks finally give up the old standby only to struggle with finding one they like again.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Careful there.... I'm a "dialer". But I have a weird memory for numbers. It has its up sides though. I can actually call people from ANY phone. You'd be amazed at how many of my daughter's friends don't know their mom's phone number. Because all they ever do is hit the name in a menu.

Glad your mom likes her camera. Lots of folks finally give up the old standby only to struggle with finding one they like again.
I like knowing numbers and dialing definitely reinforces that. My mom just doesn't want to learn how to use the phone. She misses calls because of it. She still can't use voicemail. I do hope she likes the new camera. Time will tell.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I like knowing numbers and dialing definitely reinforces that. My mom just doesn't want to learn how to use the phone. She misses calls because of it. She still can't use voicemail. I do hope she likes the new camera. Time will tell.
My mom still *needs* an answering machine for her home phone.

And she doesn't quite "get" the concept of digital photography. She still feels every picture needs to be printed. If DW asks my mom for her pictures from a family holiday or whatever... no matter how many times DW asks for simple digital copies, my mother gets them printed and hands us printed 3X5s.

For that matter, if she sees something online she likes -- a recipe, an article, etc -- she doesn't understand to save it digitally, she has to print it out, and put it in a paper folder.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

tazdev3225 this sounds a lot like my mother in law. She's got this ancient old digital camera that she uses, it's like 2MP, and she won't update it for anything. My father in law is somewhat into photography and just showed me his new purchase, a Nikon D5100. He spent 30 minutes showing me all the modes it has... the modes that turn the image black and white, sepia, etc... It was all I could do to tell him that he's better off to use photoshop for that rather than do it in camera. And don't even get me started on my sister's family... I love them, but seeing the "professional portraits" my brother in law shoots is just painful.

The one thing I've learned is to just keep my mouth shut with family. As long as they're happy with what they're doing that's all that matters.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
DawnM
Dawn

Well, your moms are a step up from mine.

Mine has never used a computer, has a senior cell phone and can't figure it out (EZOne in case you want to see how easy it really is), has never had a camera, and still doesn't even have an answering machine! She thinks she is in with the times because she has a "cordless push button phone!" She keeps calling it a "mobile phone."

Their TV is a tube style with a built in DVD player and a built in VCR.

My dad WAS really into photography in his day, but hasn't done it in a long time.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
tazdev3225

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
My mom still *needs* an answering machine for her home phone.

And she doesn't quite "get" the concept of digital photography. She still feels every picture needs to be printed. If DW asks my mom for her pictures from a family holiday or whatever... no matter how many times DW asks for simple digital copies, my mother gets them printed and hands us printed 3X5s.

For that matter, if she sees something online she likes -- a recipe, an article, etc -- she doesn't understand to save it digitally, she has to print it out, and put it in a paper folder.
My mom does the same thing and thinks I'm crazy because I don't print out many. She went to Disney with me once during the Flower and Garden Festival and couldn't understand why I was taking pictures. She didn't even bring a camera. It's only Disney. I can count on her bringing out her box of recipes every year. I would love to put them on a disc for her but I think she would get mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
tazdev3225 this sounds a lot like my mother in law. She's got this ancient old digital camera that she uses, it's like 2MP, and she won't update it for anything. My father in law is somewhat into photography and just showed me his new purchase, a Nikon D5100. He spent 30 minutes showing me all the modes it has... the modes that turn the image black and white, sepia, etc... It was all I could do to tell him that he's better off to use photoshop for that rather than do it in camera. And don't even get me started on my sister's family... I love them, but seeing the "professional portraits" my brother in law shoots is just painful.

The one thing I've learned is to just keep my mouth shut with family. As long as they're happy with what they're doing that's all that matters.
My mom won't even go there. She is still figuring out which button is auto and the camera will stay there forever. She didn't tell me before hand because she didn't want me to tell her what to do. Like I could really do that anyway. I would have liked to help her get a decent camera but in auto mode they will all be about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
Well, your moms are a step up from mine.

Mine has never used a computer, has a senior cell phone and can't figure it out (EZOne in case you want to see how easy it really is), has never had a camera, and still doesn't even have an answering machine! She thinks she is in with the times because she has a "cordless push button phone!" She keeps calling it a "mobile phone."

Their TV is a tube style with a built in DVD player and a built in VCR.

My dad WAS really into photography in his day, but hasn't done it in a long time.
My parents actually have a computer and mom has a laptop, a gift from my brother. They have 3 different answering machines and I don't know how many phones in the house. It's very confusing when the phone rings. My dad has always been into tech stuff so they have a flatscreen TV but no cable. They have what I call digital rabbit ears. The worst picture on that TV ever. You can't stand in certain spots around the TV or they lose the picture.

My dad actually googles things all of the time to prove us wrong. They just were never into photography. My first SLR was the first camera my mom didn't steal from me. It was to confusing for her. I love watching them try and cope with the technology. They do try though.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
DawnM
Dawn

My dad has a laptop and uses it. He is far more tech savvy than my mom is.

Dawn

Quote:
My parents actually have a computer and mom has a laptop, a gift from my brother. They have 3 different answering machines and I don't know how many phones in the house. It's very confusing when the phone rings. My dad has always been into tech stuff so they have a flatscreen TV but no cable. They have what I call digital rabbit ears. The worst picture on that TV ever. You can't stand in certain spots around the TV or they lose the picture.

My dad actually googles things all of the time to prove us wrong. They just were never into photography. My first SLR was the first camera my mom didn't steal from me. It was to confusing for her. I love watching them try and cope with the technology. They do try though.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

My mom is 70 and had never touched a computer in her life until Jan of 2012. She is a nosey body and wanted to learn facebook so she could keep up with what everyone was doing.

Our first computer lesson was several hours to learn how to get the computer turned on and off. She called more than a dozen times per day to ask questions for the first month or so but now she is teaching the other grandmothers how to facebook! She bought herself a little digital camera on qvc and uploads her photos and knows alot more about facebook than I do.

So do not under estimate your mom's or grammas!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: