Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #856
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

We talked about goals and motivation this weeek so let's wrap up our discussion with a little reality check to ensure our expectations are realistic.

(Thanks, of course, to an article from sparkpeople.com )

Give Yourself a Reality Check-Up
Are Your Weight-Loss Expectations Realistic?

-- By Dean Anderson, Behavioral Psychology Expert

Perhaps the biggest reason that permanent weight loss is so difficult is that it is stressful—for your mind and your body. And when you're stressed out, you justdon’t function at your best, mentally, emotionally, or physically. In fact, chronic stress tends to make you into your own worst enemy, impairing your judgment, making you emotionally hyper-reactive, messing up your metabolism, and generally making it more difficult to do the things you need to in order to lose weight.

As far as your brain and body are concerned, persistent calorie restriction is, by definition, a condition of chronic stress. Human beings have automatic biological and psychological responses to calorie restriction that are designed to help us survive this condition without losing too much weight or starving to death. Unfortunately, these responses also kick in when you are trying to lose weight for healthy reasons—and they often get in your way.

The best way to minimize the negative effects of these responses to your weight loss efforts is to minimize the degree to which your diet stresses you out. Less overall stress means a reduced reaction to calorie restriction, and that means much less trouble for you. Anything and everything you can do to make your weight loss efforts less stressful should be at the top of your priority list.

The good news is that much of the stress you normally experience during weight loss comes from factors you can control—your own expectations and attitude about how weight loss works, and your natural ability to focus your attention and thoughts in ways that promote motivation, persistence and success, even under difficult circumstances. When your expectations and attitudes are out of sync with reality, or when you fail to focus your attention where it will actually help you, stress can get the best of you and wreck your weight loss efforts.

5-Point Reality Checkup

The following reality checkup can help you determine whether your expectations and your attention-focusing habits are realistic, or if you need to work on them to stop unnecessary stress from hurting your weight loss efforts.

Write down whether you agree (True) or disagree (False) with each of the following five statements. At the end, you'll find out if you're guilty of the most common (but unrealistic) expectations associated with weight loss stress.

True or False: Weight loss is all about the numbers. You lose weight when you eat fewer calories than you burn.

True or False: Will power is the foundation of weight loss success. You have to force yourself to do the things you don’t like doing until you do like them or until you lose weight, whichever happens first.

True or False: The best motivation for losing weight is being unhappy about your present weight and appearance.

True or False: Being brutally honest with yourself about your problems, bad habits, and character flaws is the best way to overcome these problems.

True or False: Your own body is your worst weight-loss enemy. To lose weight, you have to constantly fight cravings, urges, and desires that are biologically based.

The best response to each of these statements is False. Although there is a grain of truth in each statement, most people who are successful at permanent weight loss succeed because they have taken the opposite viewpoint on each of these issues. Here’s why:

Weight loss does depend on taking in fewer calories than you use up. But figuring out how to do that the right way is incredibly complex. No two bodies burn the same amount of calories doing the exact same activity, and there is no simple way to be certain how many calories you are burning at any given moment. On top of that, many factors affect your metabolism—the quality of your sleep, your mood and feelings, the quality of the foods you eat, the variety of your daily activities, your basic health, and more. The bottom line is that successful weight loss is very much a holistic phenomenon, dependent on harmonious functioning of body, mind, and spirit.

There probably isn’t any such thing as willpower. That’s just the name we give to the experience of getting ourselves to do something that isn’t high on our list of things we think we want to do. What we are really doing in those situations is using memory, anticipation, and an appeal to our most basic values to shift our in-the-moment priorities. There are many ways to accomplish this that are much more pleasant and more productive than simply “willing” yourself to do something unpleasant. It pays to learn them (see Step 9).

Not liking your weight or appearance right now will only get you to the front door. If you want to get into the process of changing things (and stay there), you need a positive vision of your goal (see Step 6) and lots of positive reinforcement along the way.

Harsh self-criticism may be the biggest obstacle to the skill that can actually help you get past recurring problems—the skill of learning from your mistakes and adjusting your behavior accordingly. To do this, you need to adopt a very different kind of attitude and approach to yourself (see Step 10).

You are your body, and your weight loss efforts will succeed exactly to the extent that you mange to do the work on behalf of your embodied self. You’ll do much better when you focus on making positive changes to improve your health and well-being, rather than on fighting your bad habits.

Here is a link to the entire article is you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=697

And to get much more in depth information about the mind-body connection in this journey I suggest that you check out this series
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...r_body_fat.asp I hope that you will check out this series sometime because it has a lot of good exercises to help you move from "I know what to do" to actually doing it. This series is where those references to see Step number something are located.

Which brings me to the QOTD for Tuesday, January 29, 2013: Do you feel that your weight loss expectations are realistic? How do you think your expectations could be changed to help your success on this journey?

And don't worry this is the last of the deep thinking for my questions this go round and there will be a couple of fun questions to help us finish strong!

BBL with replies
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #857
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

Finished day 1 couch to 5k. Took longer than the intended 30 min because I had to stop twice in order to stop my heart from pounding out of my chest. That's how out of shape I am but I am not going to dwell on it. Today I am just going to focus on the fact that I DID IT!
As for the QOTD
I think my goals were not realistic but now I think I am coming around to more realistic goals. I am going to see a nutritionist too because my eating habits are not the best. I stay under my calorie allocation but some days I eat only one meal in order to do so. Yesterday was a great example, ate a banana and that was it so I could enjoy dinner out with dh.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #858
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Smile

Which brings me to the QOTD for Tuesday, January 29, 2013: Do you feel that your weight loss expectations are realistic? How do you think your expectations could be changed to help your success on this journey?

I think so, even though others don't. After researching what is considered a "healthy weight" for my short height (and we all know what kind of devil "healthy weight" can be defined as ), I set that number as my goal weight. I really didn't think I would get as far as I have over the past year, but now my eating habits don't even feel like a "diet" anymore. Making healthy choices the majority of the time, is something I don't really even need to think about, I just do it. Now, seeing that I'm SO close to that magic number, and knowing I'll be happy if I can even stay within a few pounds of it either way, will feel like after so many years of trying, I was finally able to accomplish that goal .

As far as changing expectations - I think I've gotten to the point that I realize I will probably never see more than a .5-1.5 pound weight loss on any given week. Throughout this whole journey, only one time did I ever see 3 pounds disappear and that was in the very beginning. I know that is the safest way, and the best way to maintain that loss, but once in a while it would be so encouraging!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #859
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Which brings me to the QOTD for Monday, January 28, 2013: What tip or strategy would you suggest to someone who feels like their motivation is not where they want it to be?
First I think we need to figure out WHY the motivation is slipping. Are you feeling deprived? Craving something that you now consider "off limits?" Struggling with calorie counting or exercise? Tired of tracking? Not seeing the results on the scale that you expect?

What is the stumbling block?? Figure that out and go from there. If you are feeling deprived or having cravings, find a way to feel "treated" and enjoy something that feels indulgent. Figure out the PointsPlus/calories in a treat, plan it into your plan, track it, enjoy it and move on!!

Having trouble keeping up with calorie counting? Develop your own "system" to make it easier. Maybe you create some menus with the calories written in and use those faithfully for your meals for a few weeks. Or, if you are doing WW, grab a sharpie and write the PointPlus value for each food on the package!

Tired of tracking.... see the above idea. Or start pre-planning your food for the day/week. Do all of the tracking at once, BEFORE you eat the foods for that day.

Exercise a problem? Try something new! Get some new music for your walk/run/bike. Try a group class or something fun/silly like an Aerial class or a Zumba dance class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime View Post
I try very hard to set my goals to be about what I can control. I don't have a goal of losing x number of pounds because I don't have any control over what the scale shows. But I can control what I eat and how often I exercise so those are where my goals are. I strive to exercise 4 times a week and stay on plan at least 5 days a week.

Great idea! It is too easy to get caught up in the "number" each week and let it dictate your mood!

I don't have an answer for this one...I'm the one whose motivation isn't where it needs to be. So I'll be ready everyone else's answers.
Just being here with us and participating shows that you have some level of motivation working for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
Hi. Feeling pretty bloated...

Had the oatmeal again for b-fast, an orange and a hot chocolate for lunch, but dinner was a home made jambalaya thing...I had procured some jennio turkey sausages marked down, had some black beans at home and tomatoes. Thought I'd try out my new rice cooker and of course it took me a long time to figure it out even though it's really simple. So I didn't get started until pretty late, then it was too late to go work out. The rice cooker is completely awesome though-- it cooked 4 cups of rice in less than a 1/2 hour perfectly. but the thing I made was too good-- ate a lot. I put vegetable bouillon in the rice added the tomatoes (vine) to the sausages at the end of their cooking and mixed the whole thing together with a cajun seasoning.
I'm going to try to stay active tonight doing laundry, dishes etc. And I'll work out tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll stay full the rest of the night though...
Just gotta say this and then I'll go away..... the reason you probably ate too much of that yummy dinner was because your breakfast and lunch look like it they are really lacking. Little to no protein, no veggies, and too much sugar. And breakfast of oatmeal is okay, but not great.... especially depending on the type of oatmeal... steel cut oats are best.... instant oats, not so much. And I don't see any vegetables in your entire day other than the can of tomatoes with dinner. Your body was starving by dinner time and you were on a slippery slope leading to overeating. I hate to sound harsh, but you set yourself up for this by not eating well during the day. Please don't take offense.... I realize it sounds "preachy" and I really just want to be helpful. The dinner sounds delicious. But you need to eat better earlier in the day. .... Now I'll go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Sorry that I have been away for so long... Weekend was very busy with social events. So not great for weight loss. I know that there are strategies on how to stay within in your limits and I try to not overeat. However, I still ate more than I should have. Some strategies did work, I told my friend who was hosting a brunch for her birthday that I am at the moment trying to lose weight and when she served the food, I could see that my plate had a smaller portion than the other plates.

I am also rather disappointed that my weight loss has more or less stalled despite tracking the food and exercising. I even gained a little bit back, so I am at the moment not at my January goal. I am still hoping that in the next two days the scale will once again jump downwards so that I can finish the January with my goal reached. I keep telling my that even if I don't reach my goal, I am still lighter than I was on January 1st. And I know that the only way to reach my goal is to just continue in February. So I am trying to be excited about starting a new month - and I am glad that I signed up for coaching in the second week as knowing that soon people will count on me does help me keeping focused.

So - for the last three days of January the plan is to stay on track and then start over with a lot of new motivation on February 1st!
Sounds like you have a great attitude right now! That will help you keep going onto a successful February!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikamah View Post
I started c25k a few years ago with the goal of a disney half marathon, and it is a great program. I weight 215 at the time, and ended up adding walk breaks when the run intervals got too long. A disney marathon is an amazing goal, and not to sound crazy, though I am a bit, but they just had the 20th anniversary, and a little disney nut in the back of my head is saying, I should do the 25th anniversary. I've got 5 years to train, right? Maybe I'll see you there.

Great long-term plan!

Good morning everyone else!! Hello Pamela, Lisa, Rose, Buffy, CC, tracey and everyone else I've missed.

Hello to you too! You've been missed. I should have texted you to check up, but kept forgetting. Glad you are doing well.

I haven't been here much, and am almost 1 month down with ww, but am at the point, where I can see things will get more challenging as my weight loss slows, and am going to try and post here more next month because I know how much better I can do when I am more a part of this group.

We look forward to seeing you more!

Try to remember how good it feels when you are losing the weight, or moving more and getting some exercise. Everyone has their ups and downs, and that is a part of life, but you can do what you want to do and reach your goals, so if you want to move more, just get out for a 5 min walk around the block, and if the scale is not moving but you have been on track, think about the non-scale victories you have achieved, maybe you can run a 5k, maybe you're not as short of breath climbing up a flight of stairs as you used to be, or maybe those pants are a little less tight. Falling off track is a part of all of our lives, and getting in back on track, and back in the proverbial wagon, no matter how many times you need to do that, is what will make the difference between those who succeed and those who don't. You can do this!! Believe in yourself and never, ever, give up!!

Gotta get the dog out in the snow. Yay! Thank you to everyone who posts here, I've been lurking and getting inspired and motivated by all your posts this month, and I hope you all are celebrating all your hard work and success this month.

Let's end this month strong!!!
Is Poko enjoying this snow? We got a coating of fresh stuff last night. Pretty to look at but a PITA to drive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
YYYAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!

Being the queen of impatience, and always pushing myself when I know I should back off, I feel your pain. DO NOT let yourself get run down! Your whole body needs time to heal, especially your immune system. I absolutely agree with Rose, find yourself a great yoga instructor, tell her what you are trying to achieve with yoga, and don't even give a thought as to what everybody else in the class is doing. If you have difficulty with the poses, you can always modify or find a pose that's comfortable for you . I started a year ago and it's taken that long and then some, to be able to pull off some of the poses. There's still PLENTY I can't pull off yet, but I know with patience I will get there. And so will you!
Great advise about the yoga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzansmom View Post
Thanks. I used to belong to a gym and used their equipment for strength training but now I am solely on my own at home. Any exercises you would suggest that I can do at home? I am more pear shaped so I am wanting to target stomach, butt and thighs but sadly the first place I always lose is the last place I want to, if you know what I mean. I have tried doing sit ups and push ups and such but I can't even manage one. That is how out of shape I am. :-(
There is SO MUCH strength training you can do at home without equipment! And it is a workout... don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Push-ups, crunches, planks (and all of the variations of them), wall-sits, lunges, tricept dips, squats, punches, side lunges, calf raises, step-ups... so many! If you can only do one of something, so be it! Do the one today... and keep trying! I was at a point a few years ago that I was able to do 10 real push-ups! And I was so happy about that because when I started, despite being in decent cardio shape, I had NO muscle tone!

Quote:
Thanks. Impatience is a big one for me too. I have done yoga in the past at a health and wellness center. When we adopted our son from Russia he came with lots of anxiety and he was referred to a chiropractor whose wife ran the health and wellness so we did yoga and meditation for a year. Then his anxiety improved and we stopped. Might have to get back into it though. I know our local YMCA has classes. I have always feared their classes because it is so embarrassing how out of shape I am.
Maybe they have a beginner class you could try?

Quote:
That's exactly what I needed to hear this morning. Going for my first couch to 5k now, wish me luck!

And sorry for all the posts, can't figure out how to quote multiple people on the iPad.
WOOHOO on your first C25K workout!

Quote:
I have to think back to when I last re-started this journey in 2008. My initial goal was NOT long-term weight loss or anything so "grand" as that. I just didn't want to be any fatter in my WDW vacation photos than I had been the previous visit! And in order to achieve that I had 15 week to lose about 30 pounds. Was my expectation realistic at that time? Probably not... but I had HUGE determination and managed to lose a bit over 33 pounds.

When I returned from that trip (with just a small gain) and got BACK on plan, my initial goal was just to hit about 150. I was 168.4 on my post-vacation weigh-in and hitting 150 seemed like a big deal. But I hit it and kept going... down to my wedding weight of about 140. And then reset my goal AGAIN to 129. I must say, that I have not been able to maintain that last goal. It has become an unrealistically low number for me. (But I did hit it once!)

Anyhow.... I kept "nibbling away" at my weight. I didn't start day #1 with a goal of losing 90 pounds in 6 months or anything like that. I kept working on small goals. When I would achieve them I would take a bit of time to reevaluate and then reset them. It worked so well, although it wasn't something I really "planned" in the beginning. But I would definitely recommend it for others!

Quote:
Finished day 1 couch to 5k. Took longer than the intended 30 min because I had to stop twice in order to stop my heart from pounding out of my chest. That's how out of shape I am but I am not going to dwell on it. Today I am just going to focus on the fact that I DID IT!

Positives only!! YOU DID IT! That is all you need to think about right now! You COMPLETED the intervals and achieved your exercise goal for the day!!

As for the QOTD
I think my goals were not realistic but now I think I am coming around to more realistic goals. I am going to see a nutritionist too because my eating habits are not the best. I stay under my calorie allocation but some days I eat only one meal in order to do so. Yesterday was a great example, ate a banana and that was it so I could enjoy dinner out with dh.
Alll I can say is .....

Okay friends! This read/reply and answering the QOTD has taken far too long! I need to get some laundry folded before picking up the kids and diving into my busy evening!

Bible study was nice this morning. I really enjoy the whole group of ladies.

Vertigo was there again this morning. I will call the chiropractor today and if it isn't better after a visit to him, I will call my PCP.

Exercise will be squeezed in somewhere today.... not quite sure where/when yet. I am taking DD to the local Y for a workout, since she will be missing her club swim practice again today due to a schedule conflict, but I really should buy some groceries while she is swimming... fruit and veggie bin is alarmingly low! Maybe I can do a short workout and a quick run to the store for just a few basics.

Okay.... gotta dash! TTYL..................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #860
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I love your attitude!! The end of january is the time where the new years motivation can start to slide, and this group here is such an amazing source of support and inspiration.
Thanks - and the funny thing is this morning when I typed that post my attitude was nothing to admire. But actually putting it into words helped me change my attitude a lot!

I truly appreciate how much this group - and participating in it more actively - has helped me to stay on track for nearly a whole month now. I love reading everyone's posts even if I am not good at replying - even to the QOTD which I often miss.

I also love the new set up as knowing that we will start a new challenge thread in a few days really helps me focussing on a new goal instead of being sad about maybe not making my January goal.

And thanks to all the motivation I get from this thread I did manage to get my 5km run in today. I was at the gym and after 20 minutes on the treadmill I realised that I had been running a little bit too fast and started to be very hungry. I do get this sometimes... So I stopped running and proceeded to do my weight training. Doing this did go well and I stopped feeling soooo hungry, so I decided to try whether I could not finish the run after the weights. And I managed to do that by just running a little bit slower. So I am very happy with the exercise I got today - as on top of that are another 1.5 hours of walking (ot work, to lunch and then to the gym).
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #861
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I DID IT!
Congratulations! Remember even if you have to go back and do some days over, that is OK! It is about making progress, not getting frustrated and stopping. You are going to be tired and it is going to be hard, but it is doable.

I think the Y is a great place if you are looking to try some new classes. If you join the Y you usually get at least an orientation with a trainer who can show you how to use the equipment. Classes at the Y seem to be very inclusive. There are usually all kinds of abilities in the classes that I take. I am a big fan of pool running in the deep end. And water aerobics might be lots of fun.

Almost everybody who is on this journey started at zero at some point or another.

I did not start out in shape. I was so out of shape in January of 2010. My initial goal was to just make it 30 min on the elliptical without dying. I couldn't even do the arms and legs at first, I just had to hold on.

We are all a work in progress. And I do mean work. It is hard work to get in shape. But it is so worth it in my opinion. I really struggle with self image and exercising and running has really helped me with my confidence. Still have issues, but I am getting there.

Again congrats on making that first step!

Flossbolna--so glad you like the new format. I have been really pleased, and I am looking forward to a fresh start in February as well!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #862
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
As for the QOTD
Make sure you aren't going to fast. You should still be able to carry on a conversation while running. Not an easy conversation but you should still able to talk.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #863
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Can I get a Woohoo for free wifi at the high school ? Waiting here for the 8th grade parents night to run its course...DD has to be here for the swim info table and they are predicting freezing rain and I didn't want her to drive home alone. I am so hungry because I ended up not bringing along a meal and I didn't have time to buy anything between the chiropractor, Staples, and picking up DD. I should be home by 8 pm and will sit here dreaming about the salmon burger waiting for me at home!

I ended up skipping my workout to fit in a last minute Chiro appointment, but I think it was worth it! Back and neck feel so much better and I think my ear is improving! I'll be able to tell better about the ear in the morning.

Splurged on some Fiestaware dishes at the consignment store today (had 5 extra minutes before my appointment and it is right next door). Three place setting in colors that I don't have that are discontinued, plus a few other stray pieces. I'm excited to get them home and washed and into the cupboard!

Remember the 30 day challenge that Rose was inspiring me to think about? Well I think I've decided on "a plank a day" for the month of February! Just one minute, every day...I can find time for that, right? Anyone care to join me?

Off to talk with the swim girls! TTYL..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #864
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Remember the 30 day challenge that Rose was inspiring me to think about? Well I think I've decided on "a plank a day" for the month of February! Just one minute, every day...I can find time for that, right? Anyone care to join me?

Awesome! I do "grumble" occasionally about my mile a day, but I am really proud of myself. And when I do need encouragement, my facebook friends are quick to offer it. There is something about knowing that you have to schedule something in every single day that is just awesome. I can't explain it, but as much as I want to skip it on occasion, I really am glad I started it on January 1.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #865
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Quote:

This is a great idea! I'm in. I've been thinking I really need to strengthen my core and this is a good way to start. I may even start tomorrow since February is a short month!
dismagiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #866
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And don't worry this is the last of the deep thinking for my questions this go round and there will be a couple of fun questions to help us finish strong!

BBL with replies
I think I am pretty realistic. When I am focused on weight loss I only lose 1 pound a week ... 2 if I am lucky. When I drop more than this, I know the next week it usually bounces back on. I just need to stay on the journey ... this is my problem.

Quote:
As for the QOTD
Hey .... that is AWESOME. When I started running I couldn't go around the track one time! I was SO pathetic. It took me a LONG time to finally jog that mile ... 4 times around the track. So, you got out today and made a difference in your life. I look forward to seeing you post when you get out again!

Quote:

Okay Pam ... I am in. I think I can "plank" for a minute a day. I have weak arm, stomach and back muscles so this will be great for me. And if I put it in writing, I am more likely to do it.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #867
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Sorry that I have been away for so long... Weekend was very busy with social events. So not great for weight loss. I know that there are strategies on how to stay within in your limits and I try to not overeat. However, I still ate more than I should have. Some strategies did work, I told my friend who was hosting a brunch for her birthday that I am at the moment trying to lose weight and when she served the food, I could see that my plate had a smaller portion than the other plates.

I am also rather disappointed that my weight loss has more or less stalled despite tracking the food and exercising. I even gained a little bit back, so I am at the moment not at my January goal. I am still hoping that in the next two days the scale will once again jump downwards so that I can finish the January with my goal reached. I keep telling my that even if I don't reach my goal, I am still lighter than I was on January 1st. And I know that the only way to reach my goal is to just continue in February. So I am trying to be excited about starting a new month - and I am glad that I signed up for coaching in the second week as knowing that soon people will count on me does help me keeping focused.

So - for the last three days of January the plan is to stay on track and then start over with a lot of new motivation on February 1st!
Great attitude! I struggle with lbs lost goals as well! So thinking "at least I am smaller than I was x number of day ago" is an important thing for me to remember too. WE CAN DO THIS!

Quote:
I started c25k a few years ago with the goal of a disney half marathon, and it is a great program. I weight 215 at the time, and ended up adding walk breaks when the run intervals got too long. A disney marathon is an amazing goal, and not to sound crazy, though I am a bit, but they just had the 20th anniversary, and a little disney nut in the back of my head is saying, I should do the 25th anniversary. I've got 5 years to train, right? Maybe I'll see you there.

I haven't been here much, and am almost 1 month down with ww, but am at the point, where I can see things will get more challenging as my weight loss slows, and am going to try and post here more next month because I know how much better I can do when I am more a part of this group.

Try to remember how good it feels when you are losing the weight, or moving more and getting some exercise. Everyone has their ups and downs, and that is a part of life, but you can do what you want to do and reach your goals, so if you want to move more, just get out for a 5 min walk around the block, and if the scale is not moving but you have been on track, think about the non-scale victories you have achieved, maybe you can run a 5k, maybe you're not as short of breath climbing up a flight of stairs as you used to be, or maybe those pants are a little less tight. Falling off track is a part of all of our lives, and getting in back on track, and back in the proverbial wagon, no matter how many times you need to do that, is what will make the difference between those who succeed and those who don't. You can do this!! Believe in yourself and never, ever, give up!!
Great idea! And it probably will take 5 years for me to in shape enough to participate!

You have some great words of wisdom there! Thanks for the support! And YES! I absolutely do better when I am actively posting too

Quote:
Thanks. I would also like to do a disney marathon but wonder if I will be able too. I am working on keeping the doubt out and my new plan is to set smaller more manageable goals that will eventually lead me to the long term goals. This week it's just three days of couch to 5k which I am sure will kick my you know what. From there we will see. Gotta take it one day at a time.
One step, one day at a time

Quote:
WAY TO GO!

Quote:
No, I do not think I have had realistic expectations and that has ALWAYS been a problen foir me. That is why my real resolution for this year is not to lose weight, not to get to a certain number... but to be happy with progress as it comes, to NOT give up (oh wait, that's not positively framed...), to KEEP GOING (that's better )! I have used MFP on and off for over 2 years now and looking back today I realized I restart at exactly (I mean exactly) the same weight every time I try to lose weight. I need to make these changes become my lifestyle and that takes the real work, the emotional work. I really am working on this, but I struggle. But I am here so that makes a huge difference for me! (and these QOTDs have really made me examine the way I approach things, lots of work! )

OMG people! I did an HOUR on the eliptical today (burned 666 calories, no lie)! That is really amazing for me! I never thought I would be able to (or want to for that matter!)! Plus 40 mins of strength training today. Plus I made it to the Y 2 days in a row! I feel great! I love going to the Y and I never thought those words would come out of my mouth! Think I may try the Zumba class on Sat...

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #868
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I ended up skipping my workout to fit in a last minute Chiro appointment, but I think it was worth it! Back and neck feel so much better and I think my ear is improving! I'll be able to tell better about the ear in the morning.

Splurged on some Fiestaware dishes at the consignment store today (had 5 extra minutes before my appointment and it is right next door). Three place setting in colors that I don't have that are discontinued, plus a few other stray pieces. I'm excited to get them home and washed and into the cupboard!

Glad to hear that you are feeling better again!!

And I can absolutely understand the excitement about new dishes! I needed a new tea pot and when I found one online I could not resist to order some breakfast mugs, bowls and plates to go with it! I hope it will inspire me to use them for healthy breakfasts - as breakfasts are still my least healthiest meals.

And I would be interested in joining in the "a plank a day" challenge for February - if you could tell me what a plank is!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #869
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good Wed morning.

I am sorry that I haven't been on much this month. I have been reading every day but I just haven't written. I will try to be better in Feb.

I still can't get back into my exercise mode but that is my next step on this journey. My eating has been great but the next step is exercise.

The plank think of a puch up without going up or down. It is yoga move. It strengthens the entire body.

Here is a link to a picture of it.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...p?exercise=341

You could also have your forearms down on the floor instead of straight arm.

One more half day of review and then meetings all afternoon and exams start tomorrow.

Off to get breakfast.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #870
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
The plank think of a puch up without going up or down. It is yoga move. It strengthens the entire body.

Here is a link to a picture of it.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...p?exercise=341
Thanks for the explanation. I just timed myself and after 30 seconds I was nearly falling down. Did not manage to hold it for one minute. This is seriously going to be a challenge for me! But I love it as I can do it as a tiny break in my office. So hopefully by the end of February I am going to look back and laugh at how a month ago I nearly collapsed after 30 seconds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: