facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #811
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

"I am not DEPRIVING myself.... I am EMPOWERING myself."

Empower YOURSELF to make the VERY BEST CHOICES YOU CAN TODAY.... both for your physical health and your mental health!! Yes, making healthy food and exercise choices are good for your MENTAL HEALTH!!

Have a HEALTHY DAY!! ...............................P
I LOVE this!

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #812
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgai729
Hi, i started only this past Sunday, Jan. 20th, but I feel inspired and I think joining this wonderful group will help. I am following the Atkins plan. I like meat and veggies, so it works for me.
I am currently at my highest weight
we have a trip planned for Sept 9 - 12, 2013 staying at Old Key West with the military discount and looking forward to having a great time with 6 adults

Congrats on starting and joining in here! This is a great place to get support to he,p reach your goals! Such an exciting trip coming up, looking forward to hearing your plans!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #813
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna

Oh, I know these days!!! I have started to develop a few strategies to deal with evenings like this, they don't always work for me, but at least I do feel less bad afterwards because I at least tried.

The first is: first thing when you get home, get a largish carrot out of the fridge, peel it and eat it. It isn't absolutely calorie free, but my theory is that the sugar in the carrot (after all it is slightly sweet) helps with the carb craving. I also get a large one and don't cut it up because then it is actually more work eating it. Munching on it prevents me from eating something else.

Second, also think how well you have been drinking during the day. I am usually someone who drinks a lot, 2 litres are never a challenge for me. But recently I figured out that my carb cravings are worse on days when I did not drink enough.

Third: It takes time until the carbs you ate are signalled to the brain. For me it takes about 30 minutes. Therefore when I start eating I set the kitchen timer on 30 minutes and I am not allowed back into the kitchen before the timer goes off. Mostly I am very disappointed when I finish eating that I did have such a small portion. But by the time the timer goes off, I realize that I am indeed full.

However, then there are days when none of this works. Then the only thing that helps is that if the evening went wrong, to just make sure that the next day goes better again.

Hope this helps a little!

Yes, I did!! 5.5 km. I am still loving my new shoes - the make me want to go for a run every day...
Love all these tips!! Really great!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #814
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust
Ok, I have to share my yoga story with all of you. Last night I took my daughter to yoga, we usually go to the Weds and Sat. basic yoga class. We had bad driving conditions last night, icy roads, snowing, blowing snow, yuck! So we left 15 minutes earlier to accommodate for the extra travel time. Well, as soon as we hit the expressway it was bumper to bumper traffic ( never is like that but i guess people were still trying to get home from work) at that point, I thought " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot my purse and phone, damn! Those will come in handy for when I get stuck or get into an accident! " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. We got to yoga 15 minutes early, NO parking spots available in the small plaza parking lot we circled and circled and circled and gave up. I drove over to the bank to park, it's farther than I want to walk in this cold but what can you do. I got stuck! Rocked the car back and forth for 10 minutes - finally free and found a better parking spot. Yoga starts in 2 minutes, I'm pissed now. " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. I sucked in yoga last night, the only pose I truly rocked was the " lying flat on your back " pose. And then it happened, with 10 minutes left in class I farted so loud I think they heard it in the nail salon next door!! No warning! I don't know where it came from?? I finished the class with my towel across my face because I couldn't stop giggling like a 6TH grader . The ride home was no better, my on ramp was closed for a 4 car accident. But when I got home I was all smiles because the old me would have used all those excuses to skip the workout, the new me just " got it done "
O. K. Some of the smiles were because I kept thinking about the " incident " in class

My quote of the day:

Yoga, a place to fart among friends.
-anonymous
OMG this was so funny!! I really did lol! And reminds me of one of my very good work friends, she says if you aren't farting, you aren't yogaing right!

Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #815
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

Happy Sunny Saturday! How many of you know EXACTLY what you were doing 15 years ago today?? I do! Fifteen years ago today I gave birth to my second child, my only son.... on the side of the road!! Yup.... didn't make it to the hospital. He was in some darn hurry to get here. Total labor... from the moment I realized I was having contractions to the moment he popped out was just barely 6.5 hours.

I was absolutely GOB-SMACKED that he was a BOY, as I was totally thinking I was having a second girl (no ultrasound, just intuition). You could have knocked me over with a feather when the paramedics said "it's a boy!" I was thrilled beyond belief. I was absolutely TICKLED PINK when my first child was a girl. And then blessed beyond measure to have a boy.

He was a "surprise" pregnancy and I must say that God absolutely KNEW what he was doing when he sent DS to us.

P
This made me tear up

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #816
araes2102
Mouseketeer

So sorry for all the posts guys!! I could not for the life of me figure out how to multi-quote on my iPad!! If anyone knows, please share!

Ok I am all caught up and am going to include all QOTDs here...

Tues: Changes I've made... Well I think. Mostly it is counting carbs. i have always counted calories, made sure to drink lots of water, and tracked foods while trying to lose weight, and while these things are great, i just feel so much better on a low carb diet! As for weather... This past week it was beautiful, sunny and upper 70s! This weekend it is pleasantly rainy, 60s and cloudy

Wed: My successes and struggles... I have been successful in not giving up, even though the scale is not. Owing at a pace I am happy with. I think this is due to me trying to change my mindset, I am not aiming to lose weight by some deadline for some big event (besides the wedding which is now a year and a half off in the distance). I am losing weight because I want to be healthier in the long run! I guess that would be a positive for moving the wedding date back Struggles would include exercise. I have that I enjoy going to the Y! But I just need to get up earlier to get there before everyone else wakes up! Trying to fit it in just does not work with my job. My schedule changes everyday, sometimes several times a day! As a result I have not gone as much as I would like...

Thurs: Fav quote right now is a song, Try by Pink. "Where there is desire there is gonna be a flame, where there is a flame someone's bound to get burned, but just because it burns doesn't mean you're gonna die, you gotta get up and try." I love this song to exercise to and find it so true... I have to push myself to be uncomfortable if I want change.

Fri: Do I get enough fats? Absolutely. I guess because I try to follow a modified Atkins (counting carbs and calories). I am still trying to figure if if I get too many fats...

Sat: 5 servings of fruit and veggies? Absolutely. Lunch and dinner everyday are usually both large salads with other veggies thrown in too. But I still want to incorporate more veggies into my kids' diets and also up my own to Pamela's recommended 10 servings

Sun: as for having positive goals... I think I need to spend time to actually write out goals, I ave always kept them in my head and they are very fluid that way... From " I want to lose 3 lbs jus week!" to "I want to get back down to my last weigh-in weight before my next weigh-in day!" I think actually writing out positively framed goals will be really beneficial to me!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #817
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

Thanks, I am feeling much better. Today I ate soda crackers and had some sprite and so far so good. I know most of what I lost was fluid weight because my wedding ring that usually fits a little snug is so loose that it falls right off. I do have a few dehydration symptoms but I am doing what I can to keep fluids in. I see my oncologist tomorrow for my post cancer check up so wish me luck. Here's to hoping the weight stays off but I bet atleast half was water weight

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #818
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Have you ever seen the Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs? Perfect size for a sandwich topping or to share a bit for tacos. Then you aren't stuck with a big container that will turn all brown and icky.
I'm definitely checking this out.

quotd: I read the article--this is right up my alley, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I just checked my first email of the year and I made my goal of 4 pounds as of this morning.

1 pound a week is where I have wanted to be on this journey.

I haven't lost much weight so far but my pants are definitely fitting better.

I'm going to try harder to fit in fruits and veggies even if I have to sneak them in stuff like a little kid lol. I made oatmeal in the crockpot last night and added a whole can of pumpkin...it was pretty good really.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #819
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

The first page is updated. Let me know if you see anything that needs corrected.

Congrats to everyone who has met their goal in January. There is lots and lots of color on the first post--which is awesome!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #820
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

Yesterday we talked a little bit about goals and how to set goals that will help you. Today let's talk about that mystical part of weightloss called motivation. (I know you will be shocked to hear it comes from a Weight Watchers book and not from sparkpeople.com )

You have all the power you need to keep your motivation at a level that will help you reach your goals. People who are successful with weight loss don't have magical powers, they have simply discovered ways hang on when times get tough or the scale doesn't move.

3 Steps that Kick Motivation into Gear

1. Take action Think about it: you took an action, whether you knew it or not -- maybe you stopped tracking or didn't plan -- which made your motivation start to wane. To get it back up, you have to take another action.

2. That action can be very small. Just do the best you can to hold on by your fingernails to any tiny part of your plan that makes sense for you. If you are afraid you are on a downslide, can you at least drink all you water each day for a week? Do that for a week and next week figure out how to build on that success so you can regain your confidence, and your motivation.

3. The action doesn't have to be about following the rules. The action that puts your motivation back into drive does not always have to be a step in the direction of doing what you think you "should" do. In fact, it might be the exact opposite.
Some counterintuitive things that might help you regain your motivations are:
--Allow yourself to have an off plan dinner but at the same time
you have to carefully choose an on-plan breakfast the next day
(in other words, you get right back on plan -- how often do
we say this? Lisa
)
--Imagine what would happen if you quit. Tell yourself you can quit,
but first you have to tell yourself how your life will be better if
you gave up on your health goals. Most people are not going to
be able to answer that question.
--Read some success stories so you believe that you too can succeed.

Weight Watchers Success Handbook (2012) by Elizabeth Josefberg

Which brings me to the QOTD for Monday, January 28, 2013: What tip or strategy would you suggest to someone who feels like their motivation is not where they want it to be?

Be back in a few with replies and my own answer.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #821
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Which brings me to the QOTD for Monday, January 28, 2013: What tip or strategy would you suggest to someone who feels like their motivation is not where they want it to be?

Be back in a few with replies and my own answer.
Another great question and great food for thought. You are really motivating me to get my butt in gear Lisa!

I would say to someone who is having motivation issues--think about what is most important to you in the whole world. It can be more than one thing. It can be a combination of things. Now think about if you are truly able to enjoy or feel good about what is important to you at your current weight--and be brutally honest with yourself.

What I found that came out of my initial weight loss and why I am back on the wagon--the best thing that came out of losing weight--this will sound stupid, maybe--being able to ride Dumbo with my 21 yo son. I don't know why that meant so much to me. Maybe cause I was able to ENJOY my life more, maybe because I knew my family was not embarrassed by my weight or bad choices, maybe because I KNEW I was healthier and able to keep up with my DS and his college friends. I don't know, but that is still a motivator for me. I NEVER want to go back to that place again. I love it that Mike and Tom and I can squish onto haunted mansion or under the sea. Yes it is squishy, and silly, but I love that I am not the heavy person in the family. I loved it when I (the only girl in the family) finally weighed less than the boys. I ENJOY my life more at a healthy weight. That is MY reason for doing this. You just need to find yours.

Thanks Lisa!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #822
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I need to get going to work. But thought you all would enjoy this.

In my effort to meal plan, eat healthier, get my act together, etc I decided to make a batch of carmelized onions in the crock pot overnight. I read several recipes and thought how hard could it be? I used the food processor to slice up almost an entire bag of onions, put it in my crock pot with a tiny bit of olive oil and tiny bit of butter (it was a lot of onions) and set it on low for overnight. I woke up a million times last night smelling cooking onions. My house REEKS of cooking onions. I ended up having to put them on the stove for about 30 minutes to cook off the water and I added some balsamic vinegar. They are delicious but I don't think I will ever get the smell of cooking onions out of my house. Next time just doing it the old fashioned and much quicker way of cooking on the stove top. Sure, it will still smell like onions, but hopefully it will go away faster. I know there is onion smell seeping out of my pores and I'm going to have to apologize to everyone at work for being stinky!

Have a great Monday!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #823
araes2102
Mouseketeer

QOTD for Monday, January 28, 2013: What tip or strategy would you suggest to someone who feels like their motivation is not where they want it to be?

Be back in a few with replies and my own answer.[/QUOTE]

Cliche but JUST DO IT! Or fake it till you make it! Or A journey of a hundred miles starts with one step! I guess for me, what is most motivating is success (hopefully my own) and you only get to that success, whatever it may be... one lb lost, one day on OP, or reaching my final goal... by starting.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #824
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
QOTD for Monday, January 28, 2013: What tip or strategy would you suggest to someone who feels like their motivation is not where they want it to be?
Great question Lisa and the timing couldn't be better! I'm going to be greedy here and ask for some motivation as opposed to giving it, simply because of something that happened over the weekend.

Here's the scene: I'm on a weekend trip with friends . It's a weekend of eating great seafood and partying like we were back in college (aka - lots of wine and margaritas!) Knowing how hard I've been working at getting to my goal weight over the past year, and seeing the ungodly slow but progressive weight loss, both my friends and DH think I'm now "too skinny" . (Keep in mind I set my goal based on my height and healthy BMI range, even though I'm not a big believer in BMI)...I don't want to make this sound as ridiculous as I'm sure it does, but isn't it more how you feel about yourself than a number on a scale ? The number can be the tangible goal, but I think how you feel about yourself, and how healthy you feel, can be the ultimate motivators . When asked why I wanted to lose a few more pounds, (this week since I gained back a couple so it's up to 9 lbs), my reply has always been what it always is: 1. to have less weight to carry when I run, especially since I'm seriously considering going 26.2, 2. to eat a much healthier diet the majority of the time (which does include self-indulgent meals), and, 3. to actually reach a weight loss goal that I've set for myself numerous times in the past, but never met.

I can safely say there's no eating disorder or anything like that, (I love food WAY too much for that kind of craziness!), but to find my support system isn't being as supportive anymore, is a real downer.

So I guess this is just a (very) long-winded way of asking how do you motivate yourself when everyone around you doesn't agree with your goal???

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #825
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

I struggle greatly with motivation. I think to myself as I fall asleep each night tomorrow I am going to get up and do this. Then tomorrow rolls around and I have zero energy and force myself just to get out of bed and do the things that have to be done. I nearly always stay under my calorie count but its the exercise I struggle with. I plan 60 min everyday but usually 30 does me in. I don't know if 6 months post radiation/chemo my goal is truly more than I can handle or if I am just being lazy. My motivation is health. I have watched too many in my extended family die from obesity related illnesses and I lost my parents before I was 30. I would never want my son to go through that. Today I see my oncologist and you can bet I will be asking her if I am expecting more than my body can give. I have a disney trip planned for early summer and would like to be able to keep up with my family which I guess is my exercise motivation.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: