facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #691
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

I made this for dinner:
http://www.marthastewart.com/957741/...th_sarah_carey
Chicken Salad with Apple, Pomegranate, and Beet

I changed it a tiny bit. Small amount of goat cheese instead of chicken. And I lightly toasted a small amount of pecans on the stove, added a tablespoon of orange juice and ~2 teaspoons of real maple syrup. We used canned beets.

It was amazing! I made up a plate for lunch tomorrow too.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #692
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

I just read an interesting article on Yahoo health. Thought I would share.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/wei...-thin-people#0
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #693
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Well I slept another couple hours after posting. Triumph came in when I was doing the stupid ear exercises so we slept. It's extremely difficult not to when he wants to. Guess I needed it. I just hate having a completely unproductive day. Caught up on the new season of Girls and Cougar town. Now I'm just messing around on the computer until Biggest Loser is on. I think I know what must have messed up my ear--hit my head pretty hard on a dryer they mount high on the wall at the gym in the locker room. It was really crowded in there....That and my allergies acting up and getting a bit of a cold. Had some leftover twice baked potato(w/cheese, green onion/ham), really made a conscious effort to limit my portion and I'm glad I did because I didn't need it. But am feeling somewhat deprived. Which is ridiculous because I had a really nice breakfast, cereal with berries, a piece of toast and 3 pieces of some gorgeous lean pepper bacon. Plus cranberry juice. Would like to bundle up and go for a walk later with my son but I know it's not a great idea as it's 30 now supposed to go down to 26. It's supposed to warm up later in the week a bit---it's been relentlessly cold with no fun stuff like snow or sun, just fog. Way colder than it usually is.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #694
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I made a big pot of this for lunch this week:

Tuscan Chicken and White Bean Stew

1 T olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced small
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 cup tomato, roughly chopped ( I use canned diced tomatoes)
1 small sprig rosemary ( I use dried from the jar to taste)
1 bay leaf
16 oz. chicken broth
2 15 oz cans cannellini beans or Navy beans, drained
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 T chopped parsley
steamed broccoli

Heat large sauté pan on medium-high. Add oil, when oil is hot, add chicken. Brown chicken then add tomato and garlic to the pan. Sauté until the garlic is soft. Add chicken broth, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and beans, bring to boil. Lower heat, simmer for about 1 hour. Check the stew every 15 minutes and add ½ cup water or broth if it starts to thicken too much (I never need to). Turn off the heat and stir in Parmesan and parsley. Serve with crusty bread and a mixed green salad.

I serve this over fresh steamed broccoli. The mix of everything is so delicious!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #695
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Great article Fran. Thanks for sharing.

I ran my mile last night and went to strength class. Four miles on the plan for the day. The high today is a whopping 24, so I am headed for the Y after work.

Mike and I are signed up to take a TRX class starting on Feb 6--which is Mike's birthday.

I hope everyone has a great Tuesday! Still lots of time to make good choices in January!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #696
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
I made this for dinner:

I changed it a tiny bit. Small amount of goat cheese instead of chicken. And I lightly toasted a small amount of pecans on the stove, added a tablespoon of orange juice and ~2 teaspoons of real maple syrup. We used canned beets.

That sounds really tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
Well I slept another couple hours after posting. Triumph came in when I was doing the stupid ear exercises so we slept. It's extremely difficult not to when he wants to. Guess I needed it. I just hate having a completely unproductive day. Caught up on the new season of Girls and Cougar town. Now I'm just messing around on the computer until Biggest Loser is on. I think I know what must have messed up my ear--hit my head pretty hard on a dryer they mount high on the wall at the gym in the locker room. It was really crowded in there....That and my allergies acting up and getting a bit of a cold. Had some leftover twice baked potato(w/cheese, green onion/ham), really made a conscious effort to limit my portion and I'm glad I did because I didn't need it. But am feeling somewhat deprived. Which is ridiculous because I had a really nice breakfast, cereal with berries, a piece of toast and 3 pieces of some gorgeous lean pepper bacon. Plus cranberry juice. Would like to bundle up and go for a walk later with my son but I know it's not a great idea as it's 30 now supposed to go down to 26. It's supposed to warm up later in the week a bit---it's been relentlessly cold with no fun stuff like snow or sun, just fog. Way colder than it usually is.
Hope you feel bright and chipper today! Maybe your weather will improve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
I made a big pot of this for lunch this week:

Tuscan Chicken and White Bean Stew

1 T olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced small
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 cup tomato, roughly chopped ( I use canned diced tomatoes)
1 small sprig rosemary ( I use dried from the jar to taste)
1 bay leaf
16 oz. chicken broth
2 15 oz cans cannellini beans or Navy beans, drained
salt and pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 T chopped parsley
steamed broccoli

Heat large sauté pan on medium-high. Add oil, when oil is hot, add chicken. Brown chicken then add tomato and garlic to the pan. Sauté until the garlic is soft. Add chicken broth, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and beans, bring to boil. Lower heat, simmer for about 1 hour. Check the stew every 15 minutes and add ½ cup water or broth if it starts to thicken too much (I never need to). Turn off the heat and stir in Parmesan and parsley. Serve with crusty bread and a mixed green salad.

I serve this over fresh steamed broccoli. The mix of everything is so delicious!
This sounds so good! I might swing by the store and grab the ingredients today! How do you think it would be with some extra veggies? Maybe celery, carrots, onions? I might give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

Fran, I couldn't get the article to load on my IPad, so I'll check it out later on the home desk top computer. Thanks for sharing it though.

Got just one minute to say hello before I dash to Bible study. Snow event turned out to be a non-event, so no school delay.

Not sure what my exercise plan for today will be, as DD is probably skipping swim tonight to prepare for midterms. Guess the home TM will be pressed into service later today.

Dinner is a nice hearty beef stew in the crockpot...and with the cold weather it is the perfect day for it!

TTYL..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #697
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike
I made this for dinner:

This sounds so yummy! It almost makes me wish I cooked
It's FREEZING here! High of 9 degrees today. My face actually froze walking into work this morning. It's still trying to thaw out. My exercise plan for the day is 3 30 minute walks- just to keep warm and keep my blood moving. Hope everyone is staying warm! Have a great day!
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #698
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Good morning all!

Last night I made a "low fat tuna casserole". Threw it together using fat free milk and low fat ingredients. It really felt indulgent to us...

I have not calculated the pasta calories but I did use an enriched pasta with omega 3's and other things.

I am going to use the technique of making the sauce on au gratin potatoes next. It was pretty easy.

I made a roux with 2tbsp margarine, 2tbsp flour, whisk, add in 2 cups fat free milk gradually, 1 can 98% fat free soup, add frozen peas, carrots, tuna or whatever you want to add or subtract.

I did add some grated shredded mozzarella on top, oh yummy. That was our big sat fat grams. I spent it on good cheese.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #699
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

QUESTION OF THE DAY - TUESDAY, JANUARY 22:

What new habits have you formed, or are planning on forming, to help you reach your weight loss goals?

Bonus QOTD (because ppl are already talking about it): What's the weather like where you live?

Good morning everyone!!

I think I may have mentioned this before, but the one habit I've developed is that I no longer drink my calories. I primarily drink water or decaf iced tea, with the occassional glass of milk. It's amazing how much more food you can eat when you aren't consuming 200 - 300 calories in liquid with each meal.

For as long as I've lived in Denver, I'm always amazed at the perception people have of our winters here. I guess because there are mountains in Colorado, people think that must mean the entire state is in the mountains and we have perpetual snow. So I'm here to tell you all our little secret - our winters are FABULOUS! Today we have "abundant sunshine" and we'll get to a high of 65 degrees. Tomorrow we'll be close to 70! This is fairly typical in January. In fact it is one of the reasons why we got married in January, it's just such a great time of year!!

We've certainly had our fair share of cold - it was in the single digits just a week or so ago. But we always have sunshine and that makes everything a bit better.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #700
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime View Post

What new habits have you formed, or are planning on forming, to help you reach your weight loss goals?

Bonus QOTD (because ppl are already talking about it): What's the weather like where you live?
:
Like you, I have completely stopped drinking soda, even diet. After reading about the chemicals it takes to make them, YIKES!! And since I have another Half Marathon coming up soon and hope to eventually cross a full off my bucket list , the more pounds I lose, the less I have to carry over all those miles .

As for the weather, it's currently a chilly 69 degrees and mostly sunny. Perfect for a lunchtime walk minus the sweat. The humidity is finally coming down as well, which makes this Disney Dork a very happy girl!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #701
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ColoradoLime;47269940]QUESTION OF THE DAY - TUESDAY, JANUARY 22:

I've started planning out a weeks shopping at a time, instead of calling in every other day or so - helps me stay focussed and I waste a lot less food. I've started drinking fruit infusions (tea with no tea haha) instead of so much fizz.

Weather wise - cold 0degreesC with snow, slush and other yukky stuff. Having to wear walking boots for work as roads are wet and slippy. Looks like it'll be this way for another week or so,
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #702
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Eliza32;47272486]
Quote:

I've started planning out a weeks shopping at a time, instead of calling in every other day or so - helps me stay focussed and I waste a lot less food. I've started drinking fruit infusions (tea with no tea haha) instead of so much fizz.

Weather wise - cold 0degreesC with snow, slush and other yukky stuff. Having to wear walking boots for work as roads are wet and slippy. Looks like it'll be this way for another week or so,
Hearing about everyone else's crappy weather has helped me lol. It's still cold here but with promise of getting above freezing anyway.

I guess my plan this time will be portion control. It's really hard because I just don't think about it and it just seems smaller until you start eating. That and eating more veggies at night for snacks I think will work.
I'm still dizzy but I think that will just take awhile to go away, gonna go work out today-- that'll make me feel better.

My husband just brought home an abandoned angel. Really just a stunningly beautiful long haired calico, just a kitten still although fully grown. They think she'd been abandoned about a week and she's very thin--weighs nothing, sweet as pie. She's eating some tuna with gusto as we speak in our spare bedroom. Have to think of a name....
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #703
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

QOTD:

New habits I have formed so far: eat more protein, less carbs. I still eat lots of carbs, I don't stay away from pasta, rice, bread and potatoes. But I know that I do need my protein as well. I know that if I eat a balanced diet I feel better and my weight loss is far more efficient.

New habits I am planning to form: plan more meals ahead of time and stick to my plans. The last part is really what prevents me from planning too much. Even though I figured out that I think I plan more than I think. I only have to take care of myself, not a whole family. So what I usually do is to have the ingredients for a few standard healthy dinners in the house, so I can choose which of these I want to eat when I get home. I think I will try to expand on that over the next few months and actually come up with some kind of a plan ahead of time. The problem is just that if I have food at home, I might end up eating it all at once. Hence I tend to do a lot of "just in time" shopping - which then again brings the danger of going to a supermarket hungry with it.... So this is the area that I need to work on!

Bonus QOTD: winter weather - we had quite a bit of snow end of last week. Today it suddenly got a little bit warmer and it started to melt somewhat. I would prefer the snow to go away as it does not make running any easier...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #704
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
It's FREEZING here! High of 9 degrees today. My face actually froze walking into work this morning. It's still trying to thaw out. My exercise plan for the day is 3 30 minute walks- just to keep warm and keep my blood moving. Hope everyone is staying warm! Have a great day!
Brrrr! Good plan to keep moving and stay warm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Good morning all!

Last night I made a "low fat tuna casserole". Threw it together using fat free milk and low fat ingredients. It really felt indulgent to us...

I have not calculated the pasta calories but I did use an enriched pasta with omega 3's and other things.

I am going to use the technique of making the sauce on au gratin potatoes next. It was pretty easy.

I made a roux with 2tbsp margarine, 2tbsp flour, whisk, add in 2 cups fat free milk gradually, 1 can 98% fat free soup, add frozen peas, carrots, tuna or whatever you want to add or subtract.

I did add some grated shredded mozzarella on top, oh yummy. That was our big sat fat grams. I spent it on good cheese.
Sounds yummy and probably makes some great leftovers!

Quote:

Yes, the sunshine makes everything better for sure!

I am really focusing on my eating right now. I've probably been eating a more balanced diet in the last few days than I have in awhile. So far, so good. I need to work more on planning ahead -- about 1 day ahead seems to be all I can manage for now.

Weather: we have been in a big freeze for the past week. Very cold and gray -- the trees are coated in frost which is very pretty but the air stagnation is not so pretty. A little front is coming through and it is supposed to snow a bit. I'll be glad to have the wind stir things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Like you, I have completely stopped drinking soda, even diet. After reading about the chemicals it takes to make them, YIKES!! And since I have another Half Marathon coming up soon and hope to eventually cross a full off my bucket list , the more pounds I lose, the less I have to carry over all those miles .

As for the weather, it's currently a chilly 69 degrees and mostly sunny. Perfect for a lunchtime walk minus the sweat. The humidity is finally coming down as well, which makes this Disney Dork a very happy girl!
Great weather you are having!

Quote:

Brrrr! More cold weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
My husband just brought home an abandoned angel. Really just a stunningly beautiful long haired calico, just a kitten still although fully grown. They think she'd been abandoned about a week and she's very thin--weighs nothing, sweet as pie. She's eating some tuna with gusto as we speak in our spare bedroom. Have to think of a name....
Hope you are feeling better soon, Susan. Bless your sweet little kitty's heart it is so cold here right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
New habits I am planning to form: plan more meals ahead of time and stick to my plans. The last part is really what prevents me from planning too much. Even though I figured out that I think I plan more than I think. I only have to take care of myself, not a whole family. So what I usually do is to have the ingredients for a few standard healthy dinners in the house, so I can choose which of these I want to eat when I get home. I think I will try to expand on that over the next few months and actually come up with some kind of a plan ahead of time. The problem is just that if I have food at home, I might end up eating it all at once. Hence I tend to do a lot of "just in time" shopping - which then again brings the danger of going to a supermarket hungry with it.... So this is the area that I need to work on!

Bonus QOTD: winter weather - we had quite a bit of snow end of last week. Today it suddenly got a little bit warmer and it started to melt somewhat. I would prefer the snow to go away as it does not make running any easier...
Have you ever tried Yak Trax for running in the snow and ice? They are supposed to work great.

Pamela, I will let you know how I like the Activelink. I'm in the assessment phase right now so I don't get all the cool information I will when that is done. It is telling me what I pretty much already know that I need to move more during work hours instead of spending so much time doing this.

I am so happy that I registered for the Dumbo Double Dare at WDW since it sold out in record time today. I have a little racing hiatus for the next three months so I am looking forward to doing some other things besides running.

Have a great day all!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #705
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

QOTD?

I am really making an effort to eat more fruit, veggies, and watch sat fat everyday. Today I am dropping reg. soda.

I am planning on more exercise when I am able.

In addition, I need a substitute for my coffee. I went from half and half to Coffeemate. I use too much to continue to use that, too much sat fat.

I have fat free milk I am trying out. So far hate that. Maybe if I heat up the milk?

What is the weather like? Cold, around 21 right now.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: