facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #571
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

QOTD for Wednesday, January 16, 2013:

I know that many of us have been struggling to fit in exercise with our busy schedules. What are some "quirky" ways that you have found to fit a bit of extra fitness into your day? (Try to stay away from the old school answers of "take the stairs instead of the elevator" and "park further away from the building".... we've all heard those many times.)

BONUS QOTD:

If you were going to WDW and only had time for three parks, which one would you skip and why??

BBL to answer!............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #572
tinkerbye
Mouseketeer

When I watch the news I do squats during the commercial breaks.
I'm doing only three parks when I go in Febuary. We're skipping Disney Studios, I worked there as a teenager and feel like I know that park the best. Epcot and Animal kingdom are my favorites and you can't go to disney and not go to Magic Kingdom.
tinkerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #573
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

WISH trip report: Back from 10 days at WDW and a 4 day cruise on the Dream

Hi WISH'ers

We had a perfectly wonderful time!! In all, I gained only 1/2 pound on this two week trip, far better than I have ever done in the past. I loved wearing my new "old" clothes that I thought would never fit me again. This contributed to some serious overpacking! I had enough clothes for a month; last cruise (in April), I could barely find stuff that fit. I was 35 lbs heavier then.

I have a lot to say about this vacay, but wanted to share some things I've learned about food and fitness-wise. I was so scared about gaining TONS, especially since I am using an ECV, pending knee replacements...

The food on the Dream was "dreamy" in the Royal Palace and in Enchanted Garden. Honestly, some of the best sea bass I've ever had was in EG. The desserts were also Deee-lish. I didn't restrict myself much on the cruise, but I note that I ate differently than I did on past cruises, when it was nothing for me to get two apps, a meal and two desserts and run the buffets! This time, I'd get one app. If I skipped the soup and the other app looked good, I had that app for the "soup and salad" course. Apps were small, so that worked. One main, no matter what. One dessert, except for once! LOL

In the a.ms, we had a continental breakfast delivered by room service. At home, all I usually eat for bf is a cup of cereal, so I ordered that. One day, I ordered a bagel instead. Added a cup of tea and split a fruit bowl with my DH and I was good to go. It was ever so nice! We really enjoyed our quiet and peaceful breakfast on our stateroom balcony. I recommend Room service as an alternative to a big, calorie laden breakfast buffet.

For lunch, I grabbed sushi from Cabanas or a half of a wrap from the fast food place (can't remember the name) with a piece of fruit. Maybe 3 shrimp, too. Of course, I indulged at the BBQ on Castaway Cay. (THe ribs were fabulous!) You can eat healthy on Castaway Cay, but I just had to give in to everything there.

One day, I gave in to the Chocolate Pudding Cake at Cabanas, which was a rich chocolate cake, slathered in pudding, and topped with ice cream (you could top that with whipped cream and chocolate or caramel syrup). This may have accounted for my half pound gain all by itself.

Key for me: I did not hang out at the Adult Quiet Cove, which is just too darn close to all those tempting desserts at the Cove Cafe. Instead, I found a perfectly quiet and comfortable chair on Deck 4 and enjoyed the waves and reading. Proximity to food kills me, and I had to keep my distance. My willpower is so weak when I see and smell food.

Limited myself to one small plate of food on Pirate's night. What a tempting dessert buffet! They were making fresh crepes! Could have avoided these, but chose not to. Had a lovely strawberry and chocolate crepe. OK, had two--they were small! LOL

Beverages- (adult and otherwise)- We brought on one bottle of wine four the four nights and a small bottle of rum which we enjoyed greatly at Castaway Cay. Being the daughter of a tavern owner, I've learned a thing or two about drink-making! LOL. I made a shake with a blend of Chocolate and Banana soft serve ice cream, swirled with rum. Okay, I made two of them. Hey, I was on Castaway Cay on a perfect day and iced tea just wasn't going to cut it! LOL. We had our Hydroflasks, and so most of the time, kept those filled with Crystal Lite or just plain ice water and lemon. In the past, it would have been nothing for us to split a bottle of wine each day.

TIP: Hit the gym! OMGosh, the exercise equipment on the Dream is beautiful! On 2 out of the 4 days, I used the recumbent bike or the elliptical. I prolly overdid the elliptical, which is set up to look out at the sea, so I was happy to keep on truckin' on that. I had never even looked at a gym while on a cruise in the past. I'm a believer now. Loved it. They had the same brand of equipment at the resorts. Hey, you're paying for it! Use it! LOL

I didn't have to use my ECV much on the ship, though WDW was a different story.

We got pedometers for Christmas, so used those to keep track of steps. I made it a point to park the ECV as much as I could and walk . I usually walked about 1.5 miles/day, sometimes a little more. I do have to say that this well exceeded my limit, and I'm paying some for this now. I can hardly wait for that surgery next month when they can fix one of my knees. Thank goodness for that EVC, which we rented at Apple Scooters.

Eating at WDW. One night, we had a pizza at Via Napoli (split it), which was worth every calorie. Loved it there. Ate twice at Be Our Guest. The food was okay, but nothing special. In fact, I wouldn't return there--service is so rushed, room is so noisy and if you get a bad table, it's a dining disaster (I'll provide a review on Restaurant board).

We stayed at the BW Villas in a one bedroom. (This is our home resort). We rented a car, went to the Publix on Apopka, and stocked up on the "usuals", but this time, the "usuals" included LOTS of fruit and veggies. . We prepared every other meal in the room. Breakfast was easy--usually just cereal and maybe a cup of greek yogurt. I brought a small insulated cooler bag from home for lunches--it was about the size of a medium sized purse). I bought sandwich bags at Publix (good for lots of stuff) and each day, filled two with water and froze them to make an ice pack. Tossed it in the cooler with my food. Lunch was usually a half sandwich (turkey breast or something like that), topped with lots of good veggies, and a portion of Popchips or pretzels (around 120 cals). We had grapes or fruit as a midmorning or midafternoon snack.

TIP: Rent a car for just one day, and you can make a grocery run. We rented ours at the National desk right at the Dolphin. There are other on property places where you can rent cars. If you don't want to rent a car, consider allowing the Garden Grocer or a similar company to shop and deliver for you.

There are lots of nice little out of the way places to have lunch around the World. We were lucky that the parks we chose each day were NOT terribly crowded (except on 2 -4) January. I think our fave place to hideaway was the tables in back of Tusker House. Absolutely no one was there. Of course, if the counter serves are running full, DO NOT take up a table. But, if you eat later in the afternoon, there's no problem.

TIP: If you want to lunch on your own, bring a little tupperware container for your sandwiches and fruit. Those babies are perfect for lots of stuff. Your lunch will stay cool, and you can use the empty ones to contain small items on your way home. A portable insulated bag comes in plenty handy. Use lockers to store your lunch if you don't fell like carrying it around all morning. But, really, it's not heavy at all.

We carried our Hydroflasks in the parks as well, and the ice remained well intact all day long. TIP-- Consider purchasing one.

Dinners- Except for three dinners out, I made dinner in the room. One night, I broiled a very nice steak. Unfortunately, I set it a little to close to the broil element. It's not a vacation until you set off the hotel smoke detectors, right? I called down to the front desk right away and let them know that there was no need to send up RCFD to our room! They were very nice about it. Steak was tasty--I think the extra char added something special. I made up a baked potato and some broccoli, with a strawberry salad for that one. On other nights, I made spaghetti and meatballs, pork chops, chicken breasts, and stuff like that. It was easy enough to cook fresh vegetables (red peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots just about anything) or some rice as a side dish. We had a nice green salad each night as well, topped with Ken's lite Balsamic vinagrette. For dessert, we had our usual Weight Watchers ice cream bar. I did bring some brandy filled chocolates from home: we had one each while watching fireworks from our balcony. Nice.

TIP: You can bring some non-perishables like some basic seasonings, etc from home and have more room in your suitcase for your return. I brought herb blends and they were great. I also bought a little bottle of olive oil from Publix. I'll keep the bottle and re-fill it for our next trip.

Alcohol: We went up to the Top of the Lounge at Bay Lake Towers and I indulged in a chocolate martini, so totally worth the calories. We also had a glass of wine with dinner (5 oz pours). Publix had a great selection of wines.

So, overall, I learned that I can indulge on a long vacay as long as I eat normally at least 2/3 of the time. I was so worried that I would gain a LOT more, but I can make this 1/2 pound disappear within the week, I suspect.

TIP--You can save some serious $$$ by making your own healthy meals at Disney. (We dropped around 80-100 bucks on each dining out: total food bill from Publix, including 5 bottles of decent wine was about $225 for ten days--That comes to just $22 per day for BOTH me and my DH. Choose meals that take about 30 minutes to prep and cook--you're on vacation! A carry in lunch takes only 5 minutes to prep and beats standing in long lunch lines at the QS places. Even if you have only a hotel room or studio, you can still make breakfast and lunch there. Rent a small fridge if you have to.

Well, time to unpack and get back to reality. Hope these tips and experiences may be of a little benefit to WISH members.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #574
trinaweena
DIS Veteran

I've had no energy lately. Even when I go to bed early. I mean I know I'm not a morning person but this is ridiculous. If I sit down during the day I dies off as well. I was doing homework last night, just reading, and I kept just dozing off. So weird.

I did get a workout in Monday night after class, I went to the school gym with a friend for the first time. I think that was good because it got me out of my comfort zone as in I worked out in front of other people. I'm in a running rut however and keep having the worst runs. Plus I haven't worked out since! Last night I went to open my car door and slammed it into my head really hard! I have a huge bump and it hurts to chew and I had a headache all night. Oh well, it's from my own clumsiness. Hope things are going well for everyone else
July 2009 Wilderness Lodge
July 2010 Animal Kindgdom Lodge
May 2012 1st cruise on the magic plus 4 days in WDW!
trinaweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #575
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

I know that many of us have been struggling to fit in exercise with our busy schedules. What are some "quirky" ways that you have found to fit a bit of extra fitness into your day? (Try to stay away from the old school answers of "take the stairs instead of the elevator" and "park further away from the building".... we've all heard those many times.)

I sit on my exercise ball while folding laundry, do high knees and kick backs during recess duty, do calf raises and one foot stands when forced to stand around a lot (like during lunch room duty and when overseeing a test or waiting in line anywhere), Kegel exercises at red lights, squats and lunges when vacuuming, go up and down the stairs at home multiple times, rather than loading up my arms and making it in one trip...that is all I can think of right now!

BONUS QOTD:

If you were going to WDW and only had time for three parks, which one would you skip and why??

So hard! I would say Epcot, but I'd miss Soarin'! I think my answer would be HS, but that would depend on who I was with. DS loves TSMM, Lights, Motors, Action, Fantasmic, and of course ToT and RnR! DD also loves RnR and ToT. If I were with other adults who didn't care for the big thrills, HS studio would be the one to skip. So my final answer is I DON'T KNOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbye View Post
When I watch the news I do squats during the commercial breaks.
I'm doing only three parks when I go in Febuary. We're skipping Disney Studios, I worked there as a teenager and feel like I know that park the best. Epcot and Animal kingdom are my favorites and you can't go to disney and not go to Magic Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklabs View Post
Hi WISH'ers

We had a perfectly wonderful time!! In all, I gained only 1/2 pound on this two week trip, far better than I have ever done in the past. I loved wearing my new "old" clothes that I thought would never fit me again. This contributed to some serious overpacking! I had enough clothes for a month; last cruise (in April), I could barely find stuff that fit. I was 35 lbs heavier then.

I have a lot to say about this vacay, but wanted to share some things I've learned about food and fitness-wise. I was so scared about gaining TONS, especially since I am using an ECV, pending knee replacements...

The food on the Dream was "dreamy" in the Royal Palace and in Enchanted Garden. Honestly, some of the best sea bass I've ever had was in EG. The desserts were also Deee-lish. I didn't restrict myself much on the cruise, but I note that I ate differently than I did on past cruises, when it was nothing for me to get two apps, a meal and two desserts and run the buffets! This time, I'd get one app. If I skipped the soup and the other app looked good, I had that app for the "soup and salad" course. Apps were small, so that worked. One main, no matter what. One dessert, except for once! LOL

In the a.ms, we had a continental breakfast delivered by room service. At home, all I usually eat for bf is a cup of cereal, so I ordered that. One day, I ordered a bagel instead. Added a cup of tea and split a fruit bowl with my DH and I was good to go. It was ever so nice! We really enjoyed our quiet and peaceful breakfast on our stateroom balcony. I recommend Room service as an alternative to a big, calorie laden breakfast buffet.

For lunch, I grabbed sushi from Cabanas or a half of a wrap from the fast food place (can't remember the name) with a piece of fruit. Maybe 3 shrimp, too. Of course, I indulged at the BBQ on Castaway Cay. (THe ribs were fabulous!) You can eat healthy on Castaway Cay, but I just had to give in to everything there.

One day, I gave in to the Chocolate Pudding Cake at Cabanas, which was a rich chocolate cake, slathered in pudding, and topped with ice cream (you could top that with whipped cream and chocolate or caramel syrup). This may have accounted for my half pound gain all by itself.

Key for me: I did not hang out at the Adult Quiet Cove, which is just too darn close to all those tempting desserts at the Cove Cafe. Instead, I found a perfectly quiet and comfortable chair on Deck 4 and enjoyed the waves and reading. Proximity to food kills me, and I had to keep my distance. My willpower is so weak when I see and smell food.

Limited myself to one small plate of food on Pirate's night. What a tempting dessert buffet! They were making fresh crepes! Could have avoided these, but chose not to. Had a lovely strawberry and chocolate crepe. OK, had two--they were small! LOL

Beverages- (adult and otherwise)- We brought on one bottle of wine four the four nights and a small bottle of rum which we enjoyed greatly at Castaway Cay. Being the daughter of a tavern owner, I've learned a thing or two about drink-making! LOL. I made a shake with a blend of Chocolate and Banana soft serve ice cream, swirled with rum. Okay, I made two of them. Hey, I was on Castaway Cay on a perfect day and iced tea just wasn't going to cut it! LOL. We had our Hydroflasks, and so most of the time, kept those filled with Crystal Lite or just plain ice water and lemon. In the past, it would have been nothing for us to split a bottle of wine each day.

TIP: Hit the gym! OMGosh, the exercise equipment on the Dream is beautiful! On 2 out of the 4 days, I used the recumbent bike or the elliptical. I prolly overdid the elliptical, which is set up to look out at the sea, so I was happy to keep on truckin' on that. I had never even looked at a gym while on a cruise in the past. I'm a believer now. Loved it. They had the same brand of equipment at the resorts. Hey, you're paying for it! Use it! LOL

I didn't have to use my ECV much on the ship, though WDW was a different story.

We got pedometers for Christmas, so used those to keep track of steps. I made it a point to park the ECV as much as I could and walk . I usually walked about 1.5 miles/day, sometimes a little more. I do have to say that this well exceeded my limit, and I'm paying some for this now. I can hardly wait for that surgery next month when they can fix one of my knees. Thank goodness for that EVC, which we rented at Apple Scooters.

Eating at WDW. One night, we had a pizza at Via Napoli (split it), which was worth every calorie. Loved it there. Ate twice at Be Our Guest. The food was okay, but nothing special. In fact, I wouldn't return there--service is so rushed, room is so noisy and if you get a bad table, it's a dining disaster (I'll provide a review on Restaurant board).

We stayed at the BW Villas in a one bedroom. (This is our home resort). We rented a car, went to the Publix on Apopka, and stocked up on the "usuals", but this time, the "usuals" included LOTS of fruit and veggies. . We prepared every other meal in the room. Breakfast was easy--usually just cereal and maybe a cup of greek yogurt. I brought a small insulated cooler bag from home for lunches--it was about the size of a medium sized purse). I bought sandwich bags at Publix (good for lots of stuff) and each day, filled two with water and froze them to make an ice pack. Tossed it in the cooler with my food. Lunch was usually a half sandwich (turkey breast or something like that), topped with lots of good veggies, and a portion of Popchips or pretzels (around 120 cals). We had grapes or fruit as a midmorning or midafternoon snack.

TIP: Rent a car for just one day, and you can make a grocery run. We rented ours at the National desk right at the Dolphin. There are other on property places where you can rent cars. If you don't want to rent a car, consider allowing the Garden Grocer or a similar company to shop and deliver for you.

There are lots of nice little out of the way places to have lunch around the World. We were lucky that the parks we chose each day were NOT terribly crowded (except on 2 -4) January. I think our fave place to hideaway was the tables in back of Tusker House. Absolutely no one was there. Of course, if the counter serves are running full, DO NOT take up a table. But, if you eat later in the afternoon, there's no problem.

TIP: If you want to lunch on your own, bring a little tupperware container for your sandwiches and fruit. Those babies are perfect for lots of stuff. Your lunch will stay cool, and you can use the empty ones to contain small items on your way home. A portable insulated bag comes in plenty handy. Use lockers to store your lunch if you don't fell like carrying it around all morning. But, really, it's not heavy at all.

We carried our Hydroflasks in the parks as well, and the ice remained well intact all day long. TIP-- Consider purchasing one.

Dinners- Except for three dinners out, I made dinner in the room. One night, I broiled a very nice steak. Unfortunately, I set it a little to close to the broil element. It's not a vacation until you set off the hotel smoke detectors, right? I called down to the front desk right away and let them know that there was no need to send up RCFD to our room! They were very nice about it. Steak was tasty--I think the extra char added something special. I made up a baked potato and some broccoli, with a strawberry salad for that one. On other nights, I made spaghetti and meatballs, pork chops, chicken breasts, and stuff like that. It was easy enough to cook fresh vegetables (red peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots just about anything) or some rice as a side dish. We had a nice green salad each night as well, topped with Ken's lite Balsamic vinagrette. For dessert, we had our usual Weight Watchers ice cream bar. I did bring some brandy filled chocolates from home: we had one each while watching fireworks from our balcony. Nice.

TIP: You can bring some non-perishables like some basic seasonings, etc from home and have more room in your suitcase for your return. I brought herb blends and they were great. I also bought a little bottle of olive oil from Publix. I'll keep the bottle and re-fill it for our next trip.

Alcohol: We went up to the Top of the Lounge at Bay Lake Towers and I indulged in a chocolate martini, so totally worth the calories. We also had a glass of wine with dinner (5 oz pours). Publix had a great selection of wines.

So, overall, I learned that I can indulge on a long vacay as long as I eat normally at least 2/3 of the time. I was so worried that I would gain a LOT more, but I can make this 1/2 pound disappear within the week, I suspect.

TIP--You can save some serious $$$ by making your own healthy meals at Disney. (We dropped around 80-100 bucks on each dining out: total food bill from Publix, including 5 bottles of decent wine was about $225 for ten days--That comes to just $22 per day for BOTH me and my DH. Choose meals that take about 30 minutes to prep and cook--you're on vacation! A carry in lunch takes only 5 minutes to prep and beats standing in long lunch lines at the QS places. Even if you have only a hotel room or studio, you can still make breakfast and lunch there. Rent a small fridge if you have to.

Well, time to unpack and get back to reality. Hope these tips and experiences may be of a little benefit to WISH members.

I am so very, very impressed with everything you did! Seems like you struck just the right balance between staying OP and healthy, and enjoying and indulging! Obviously it worked well! Thank you so much for sharing all,of that with us! I am glad I was home today and had the time to read your post thoroughly!

I have a few trips under my belt when I packed/planned meals that can be stored and prepared in a standard hotel room...both for health reasons and for budget reasons, so I know you are right when you say it can be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinaweena View Post
I've had no energy lately. Even when I go to bed early. I mean I know I'm not a morning person but this is ridiculous. If I sit down during the day I dies off as well. I was doing homework last night, just reading, and I kept just dozing off. So weird.

I did get a workout in Monday night after class, I went to the school gym with a friend for the first time. I think that was good because it got me out of my comfort zone as in I worked out in front of other people. I'm in a running rut however and keep having the worst runs. Plus I haven't worked out since! Last night I went to open my car door and slammed it into my head really hard! I have a huge bump and it hurts to chew and I had a headache all night. Oh well, it's from my own clumsiness. Hope things are going well for everyone else
Maybe you should get a concussion check? Take care of yourself and please see a doctor if you start having any other symptoms like dizziness and/or nausea.

Sorry about the lousy runs. I've had a streak of crappy workouts myself this past week, but I keep reminding myself that as long as I am TRYING, I am ahead of the game!

Totally indulging in doing NOTHING right now with my "found"time. After lunch I will kick myself into high gear. Also indulged in some extra carbs with breakfast in the form of a corn Vitamuffin...so good with my perfectly brewed coffee!

Snow continues to fall. DH cancelled his planned overnight to Maine, which is great because it means he will be here to snowblow! I hate using that thing!

Off to swill coffee and relax! ..............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #576
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

BONUS QOTD:

Dancing around the house. I did that last night while working on Scrap stuff.

Park to miss. I'd probably skip MGM, I log the least amount of miles there and I don't do a lot of the rides/shows there.

Quote:
So hard! I would say Epcot, but I'd miss Soarin'! I think my answer would be HS, but that would depend on who I was with. DS loves TSMM, Lights, Motors, Action, Fantasmic, and of course ToT and RnR! DD also loves RnR and ToT. If I were with other adults who didn't care for the big thrills, HS studio would be the one to skip. So my final answer is I DON'T KNOW!
No no no!!!! You can't skip Epcot!! We had so much fun running with you and DD back and forth between Mission Space, Soarin' and Test Track.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #577
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

BONUS QOTD:

I love this question because I do this stuff all the time! I always do stuff while I brush my teeth. Especially since injuring my ankle, that's now my ankle strength and stretch time!

I do situps and arm weights while I watch tv, leg exercises while cooking and I try to walk around the office at least every hour at work. It's only like 2 min each but it keeps my neck and back from stiffening too much.

Can't wait to get more ideas. Love the balance ball for folding laundry one! Might try that today.

I'd skip animal kingdom. Just not my thing.

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #578
araes2102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

BONUS QOTD:

I don't really have any quirky ways to get exercise in, I guess I should! DF does though, he "hula hoops" ( without the hoop of course) while he's brushing his teeth, moving his torso in different positions to get a full abdominal workout.

As for WDW, we would definitely have to do all 4 parks. Never been and wouldn't wanna miss a thing!

araes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #579
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Dancing around the house. I did that last night while working on Scrap stuff.

I totally rock out when I'm home alone (which isn't very often).

Park to miss. I'd probably skip MGM, I log the least amount of miles there and I don't do a lot of the rides/shows there.

No no no!!!! You can't skip Epcot!! We had so much fun running with you and DD back and forth between Mission Space, Soarin' and Test Track.
Yes we did! I forgot to tell you what DD made me for Christmas. She made me a huge (16 x 20) photo collage from our trip. I should post a photo of it.... it is fabulous! She designed it and ordered it from Costco, conned me into driving her there to pick it up on the sly and printed herself an AC Moore coupon and got a great frame! I re-arranged some stuff near my scrap table and hung it there. That was such a wonderful trip. And meeting you and your DS made it extra special!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I love this question because I do this stuff all the time! I always do stuff while I brush my teeth. Especially since injuring my ankle, that's now my ankle strength and stretch time!

I do situps and arm weights while I watch tv, leg exercises while cooking and I try to walk around the office at least every hour at work. It's only like 2 min each but it keeps my neck and back from stiffening too much.

Can't wait to get more ideas. Love the balance ball for folding laundry one! Might try that today.

I'd skip animal kingdom. Just not my thing.
I love the idea of doing it while brushing! I am guilty of running around with the toothbrush in my mouth in the morning.... picking out my clothes, waking the kids, etc.

I do try to remember to do squats and such while cooking, but I RARELY am standing still anyhow. I'm usually hand-washing dishes while waiting for stuff to cook, etc.

There are plenty of things that I could live without at AK, but I do love all of the character encounters. That seems to be a GREAT park for that sort of thing.... and I really love FOTLK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by araes2102 View Post
I don't really have any quirky ways to get exercise in, I guess I should! DF does though, he "hula hoops" ( without the hoop of course) while he's brushing his teeth, moving his torso in different positions to get a full abdominal workout.

As for WDW, we would definitely have to do all 4 parks. Never been and wouldn't wanna miss a thing!
He would probably love the hula-hoop game for Wii Fit. It is really fun and a great workout! I haven't thought of it for a long time!

Wow, this day is certainly getting away from me! Laundry is done (just one last load of jeans in the dryer) and put away, dishwasher is run and unloaded, my bed is made (I put it on the kids to make their own beds today.... probably not done though ).

I did get in a workout, just in case we don't get to the Y tonight. Plus I would WAAAAAY rather workout in the morning than the evening. It was hard and I started out just telling myself I could quit after 15 minutes of circuit training, but after that 15 minutes (free-weights, squats, push-ups, lunges, jumping jacks) I hit the TM and did a full 30 minutes of walking/running. I worked up a great sweat, did a few miles, and really feel like I accomplished something!

Lunch for the most part was leftovers for everyone. I made myself a HUGE salad (I estimated it to be 6 servings of veggies) and had a small portion of last night's meatloaf, plus a grapefruit for dessert.

Dinner is still up in the air. DH was supposed to be gone tonight so I had planned frozen pierogies (he doesn't eat them because of the carbs), but when I checked the freezer today I realized I don't have any so time to think again! I have the fixings for a homemade turkey soup in the freezer. I think I'll make up the soup for DH, DD, and myself and give DS leftover meatloaf.

Off to hit the shower, get the soup going, and check email (again) to see if swim practice is cancelled. The usual rule is "if the Y is open, practice is on".... but considering we live the furthest away, we kind of need to make our own decisions.

TTYL..........................P

Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #580
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

No quirky ways to work out unfortunately, I just put my shoes on and go for a walk when I can. Final exam at University tomorrow, so after that I have some time for me!!

I'd probably skip AK as I can go to a zoo at home (I know it's not the same, but is a kind of alternative - there are no alternatives to the other 3 parks).
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #581
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD for Tuesday, January 15, 2013:

I believe, as a society, we don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. I hear people talking about their "healthy meals" and I am constantly wondering "where are the veggies?" How many servings of fruit/veggies do you eat daily (on average)? If you aren't eating at least 4 servings of non-starchy veggies, how do you think you could incorporate more into your day?

BONUS QOTD:

On last night's episode of the BL, they quizzed the contestants about childhood obesity statistics. Who do YOU think is to blame about today's childhood obesity epidemic? Fast-food restaurants? Parents? Schools?

Off to school! Hopefully I can pop on during the day to chat!............P
I'm doing good to get one serving of fruit or veggie a day in. I know-- not good but this is actually up a lot from recent years. I'm thinking more raw veggies with a dip at night for snacks....

Along with other peoples ideas I also think people are so limited in disciplining their children these days and afraid to upset them-- they are far too lenient with them and let them indulge.

Quote:

BONUS QOTD:

Incoprorating more exercise--I've been riding my bike to work the last year or so intermittently--it's a 1/2 hour ride so I guess that would be the quirky part. Doing kegel exercises in the jacuzzi or at stop lights or whenever I have to do something like wait in line....
I'm a Disneyland girl-- don't know a lot about the World so can't answer.

Quote:

Ow!

Quote:
when I was 6 we weren't allowed to come in until the street light came on.
Isn't this the truth....I remember being out of the house until dark as well most nights.

[QUOTE]I like liver, but I don't eat it any more, after I did some thinking about what it does in the body. I might be tempted if I could find it organic though. Liver and onions....mmmmm![/QUOTE

This started when I was pregnant working at Safeway. Now the only time I get them is if we go to the coast and stop in Florence at the Safeway there. It's a huge retirement community so it's one of the few Safeways left to stock the livers.

For some reason I thought weigh in was on the 15th--it was stuck in my head---weirdness. So I weighed myself yesterday and lost another pound so that's good I guess. I'm really going to be watching it the rest of the week so the 19th? I hope will be a good one. Did a full workout yesterday and spent 2 hours in the jacuzzi...lol. It is so nice to be in an outdoor one when it is so cold. We've had free showtime so I've watched Warhorse twice, The King's speech and Iron lady. Oh plus a documentary about a student from Virginia Tech today. Not going to work out until later today so I've had some time to catch up on the boards which is nice!
Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #582
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
No quirky ways to work out unfortunately, I just put my shoes on and go for a walk when I can. Final exam at University tomorrow, so after that I have some time for me!!

I'd probably skip AK as I can go to a zoo at home (I know it's not the same, but is a kind of alternative - there are no alternatives to the other 3 parks).
Best of luck on your exam!

Walking is just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
I'm doing good to get one serving of fruit or veggie a day in. I know-- not good but this is actually up a lot from recent years. I'm thinking more raw veggies with a dip at night for snacks....

Along with other peoples ideas I also think people are so limited in disciplining their children these days and afraid to upset them-- they are far too lenient with them and let them indulge.

Incoprorating more exercise--I've been riding my bike to work the last year or so intermittently--it's a 1/2 hour ride so I guess that would be the quirky part. Doing kegel exercises in the jacuzzi or at stop lights or whenever I have to do something like wait in line....
I'm a Disneyland girl-- don't know a lot about the World so can't answer.

Isn't this the truth....I remember being out of the house until dark as well most nights.

This started when I was pregnant working at Safeway. Now the only time I get them is if we go to the coast and stop in Florence at the Safeway there. It's a huge retirement community so it's one of the few Safeways left to stock the livers.

For some reason I thought weigh in was on the 15th--it was stuck in my head---weirdness. So I weighed myself yesterday and lost another pound so that's good I guess. I'm really going to be watching it the rest of the week so the 19th? I hope will be a good one. Did a full workout yesterday and spent 2 hours in the jacuzzi...lol. It is so nice to be in an outdoor one when it is so cold. We've had free showtime so I've watched Warhorse twice, The King's speech and Iron lady. Oh plus a documentary about a student from Virginia Tech today. Not going to work out until later today so I've had some time to catch up on the boards which is nice!
Have a great day everyone.
Glad you were down a pound, even on the wrong day! we had the free premium channels this weekend as well and I was so unimpressed! I only quoins 3movies that interested me enough to bother recording them.

Evening friends! Here I am at the Y. Roads weren't bad once I got out of my town. I think we ended up with about 4-5 inches of snow.

Can I get a WoooHoo on a double workout day? I ended up putting on my exercise clothes and doing another hour on the TM here tonight! Kind of makes up for yesterday's lousy run attempt.

I'll say good night for now and promise to be back in the morning!........P

Last edited by pjlla; 01-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #583
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Just popping in to say hi. The first page is updated.

I ran my mile for the day and did a 50 min strength class. I was feeling very beat up so not the best class. I am at 16/365 for my one mile run challenge.

Hope everyone has a great evening.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #584
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

Quote:

BONUS QOTD:

Mine is walking my students to and from class. My uppergrades usually come on their own but I have been trying to meet them and walk the building to pick them up. This is a hard one since I usually use those precious 5 minutes for planning at times. This makes me stay later at school ... but not too much longer.

bonus: I think it would depend on who I was with. My sons don't like Epcot but I think my husband would love it ... especially since he could have a beer!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #585
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

I had all sorts of wonderful and witty replies that I was working on as I read back but then I had to take DD12 to the Urgent Care so now I am just doing a fly by few responses and check in.

Quote:

BONUS QOTD:

Nothing quirky- just the same old things you wrote. Unless you count "Use the bathroom in a further away hall" as quirky? Depending on how much water I have had that can turn into quite a workout!

As for the bonus question, I just don't think I can answer that! I guess if you forced me to make a decision I would pick AK but I love Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo and the Safari and Kali River Rapids and Dinosaur and . .
Yeah, forget it. If I can't hit all 4 parks there is no point in even going-- I love them all! I think the only thing that I might consider skipping would be World Showcase. I love it but could skip it for one trip I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicklabs View Post
Hi WISH'ers

Your report had me drooling with jealousy! Sounds like such a great trip and you were able to have your fun but keep it in control.

Quote:
Are you taking a good multi vitamin? Have you had your Vitamin D checked?

Quote:
Last night I went to open my car door and slammed it into my head really hard! I have a huge bump and it hurts to chew and I had a headache all night. Oh well, it's from my own clumsiness. Hope things are going well for everyone else
Quote:

Maybe you should get a concussion check? Take care of yourself and please see a doctor if you start having any other symptoms like dizziness and/or nausea.

P
Agree with pjlla- you should get your bump on the head checked out. Concussions are not anything you want to ignore.

So DD is fine. She has been complaining her wrist hurts for about a week. We bought a brace at the drug store and she has been wearing it round the clock and putting ice on it but it isn't getting better. i was really avoiding going to the Dr office because the flu is really bad here. Decided tonight we should really have it checked to be sure nothing major is going on. No fracture or break so that is a relief. They just said it is probably sprained and keep wearing the brace. And we tried not to touch anything while we were at the Urgent Care!

Coworkers want me to pick where we get lunch from on Friday since I didn't participate last week. They just aren't going to get that with my food sensitivities, focus on not eating much processed food and need to eat healthy I am not really interested in ordering food out unless I just have no other choice. I will have to just pick somewhere with a decent salad choice which really limits things and I hate to spend $6-8 on a salad when I have everything I need for a salad at home for much cheaper! But I do love them and love working with them so I will just and go along with it as best as I can.

Time to head to bed so I can try to be asleep by a decent time. Everyone have a great healthy and on plan day tomorrow!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: