Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
elyse43230
Is this real life? I feel funny...

I'm in.

Today was a very hard day for me. I went to the doctor for my 6 months medication check up (just maintenance stuff, migraine meds, etc.). And my doctor finally brought up the topic he has never breached before... my weight. I've been so sad and defeated today. All he said was that I since my parents have a history of high blood pressure, if my weight stays high, I will eventually get high blood pressure too (I don't right now... but I got his hint). It wasn't anything dramatic and it was a small comment, but it enough to make me face the music.

I realized what I really needed was a community to help me. I hope you guys here at the DIS can help me! I'll PM my weight and goal Jan. 1st!

Let's do this!

Disney Trips! June 2013 OKW June 2012 POFQ Feb 2009 POFQ July 2008 Epcot March 2008 5 Days POFQ April 2007 MK w/ Mom October 2001 Poly July 1993 MK August 1989 MK - 5 years old (Shannon gets her ears)
elyse43230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisindisney View Post
I'm in! I need some motivation. I was down at a great weight and then bursitis set in to my hips and I let it kick me down. I'm back and going to get myself back where I want to be.
Welcome! I am so sorry about the bursitis. Have you done any physical therapy for it? I have a lot of illiotibial band and low back problems and do a ton of stretching to keep things from getting out of control. I am not a big yoga fan, but it does make me feel so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Yay! I am in and love this new format. I think this is the change I need to kick it back into gear. Thanks for starting us off, Rose

My other goal is to run more 5k's with DS9 and hopefully a 10k for me. It's a big dream to do the Princess Half, so I am hoping for 2014!

Jill
Hi Jill! I think the Princess in 2014 is a very attainable goal. I love 10ks. It's such a great distance. Do you have one in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyse43230 View Post
I'm in.

Today was a very hard day for me. I went to the doctor for my 6 months medication check up (just maintenance stuff, migraine meds, etc.). And my doctor finally brought up the topic he has never breached before... my weight. I've been so sad and defeated today. All he said was that I since my parents have a history of high blood pressure, if my weight stays high, I will eventually get high blood pressure too (I don't right now... but I got his hint). It wasn't anything dramatic and it was a small comment, but it enough to make me face the music.

I realized what I really needed was a community to help me. I hope you guys here at the DIS can help me! I'll PM my weight and goal Jan. 1st!

Let's do this!
It sounds like this is the perfect time to get that weight under control--before more problems set in. I am sorry about the doctor's comment, but I am glad you are using it as a call to action!
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #18
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Today's question involves more thinking.

We have started thinking about our goals. We are breaking them down into small achievable chunks.

Eventually we will start talking about how to work towards achieving those goals, but today I want you to think a little bit about your trigger foods.

One of the things I found when I lost the 50 pounds in 2010 was that there are some foods I just can't have in the house. Some foods I can eat when we are out only. Some foods that I just have to give up cold turkey. Some foods that I will binge eat or eat until they are out of the house. While I agree with many of the popular weight loss programs that say you can eat anything as long as it fits in the plan, I have personally found that some foods are hard for me to stop eating once I start.

QOTD December 29, 2012

Do you have trigger foods? Do you have a plan for dealing with them? Are you going cold turkey or can you eat them occasionally? Do you have certain things you just need to cut out of your diet for good?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Hola friends! I'm here! I can't believe this got to 2 pages before I had a chance to post!

I will definitely need to be a LOSER after this holiday eating! Thank goodness I started the holiday at the low end of my maintenance range!

We are having our Christmas celebration with my extended family today, so I need to dash into the shower. TTYL............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Ooo, nothing like a brand, new shiny thread for the new year! Thanks for hostessing, Rose! I think the new format is da bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post

QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.
I'm going to start off with a big goal for January -- 10 pounds. That is one of the advantages of being at a higher starting weight, you can knock out some big numbers at first. I'm ready to see some new numbers on the scale in 2013. I'm going to give myself tunnel vision like I do sometimes for a run with one mile at a time and take things one month at a time.

Quote:
QOTD December 29, 2012

Do you have trigger foods? Do you have a plan for dealing with them? Are you going cold turkey or can you eat them occasionally? Do you have certain things you just need to cut out of your diet for good?
Ack! More thinking! I think I've finally at the point where I don't have any trigger food worries. I have no idea why or how I managed to finally get here. I have two food items in my house that I would consider trigger food -- fudge and Chex Party Mix -- and they just don't sound good to me in anything but a reasonable serving. Just so I don't jinx myself they will be disappearing here!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
I'm in.

Let's do this!
So sorry. I had the "talk" from my ob/gyn on November 6th and he recommended bariatric (sp?) surgery. That was the kick in the pants that I needed to get off my duff. I'm down 12 pounds since then but my scale hasn't moved too much throughout the holidays. (I suppose it is better than a gain though..) We can do this! This will be a new year and a new us!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:

QOTD December 29, 2012

I also have weakness foods but what I've been doing is trying to keep my calories within 1200-1350 per day. If I find that I have say, 200 calories left over after staying on plan all day, I will split a Snickers Ice cream bar with hubby. Plus it keeps me in check and still having something sweet to look forward to rather than indulging in a whole pint of ice cream.

So yes, Ice Cream is such a trigger for me. I don't know when to stop. I'd also say Zapp's Salt and Vinegar chips too. But... I have found that Target sells them in small bags of about 220 calories each so I'll just divide them in half with hubby also so that I don't eat the whole thing.

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD December 29, 2012

I feel like I am starting over from zero with this one, even though I have a lot less pounds to lose. In 2010 I had a system where I didn't keep anything in the house that was temping except ice cream. I would have ice cream a couple of times a week in little tiny custard cups.

No potato chips (biggest weakness), no french fries, no cookies, cakes, sweets etc. I am such a binge eater that this was the only way I could do it. I would have treats occasionally when we went out and it worked great for me. Fast forward to 2011 when I went gluten free and all of a sudden the treats out came to a screeching halt, and I have been a lost puppy since then. Just not sure how to handle my trigger foods, when 98% of what I eat is from home now. So this is what I will be working on for this challenge.

I am a binge eater. I will probably always be a binge eater. I did really well with it for a while, but I see old habits and mind sets creeping back in.

But I think with some time and planning I can find a new system that works.

I am most proud of the fact that I have not had a diet soda or any artificial sweeteners since Dec of 2009. So even though I have some work to do, I am not starting from zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Hola friends! I'm here! I can't believe this got to 2 pages before I had a chance to post!

I will definitely need to be a LOSER after this holiday eating! Thank goodness I started the holiday at the low end of my maintenance range!

We are having our Christmas celebration with my extended family today, so I need to dash into the shower. TTYL............P
Nice to see you Pamela. Enjoy your family celebration today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

I'm going to start off with a big goal for January -- 10 pounds. That is one of the advantages of being at a higher starting weight, you can knock out some big numbers at first. I'm ready to see some new numbers on the scale in 2013. I'm going to give myself tunnel vision like I do sometimes for a run with one mile at a time and take things one month at a time.

Ack! More thinking! I think I've finally at the point where I don't have any trigger food worries. I have no idea why or how I managed to finally get here. I have two food items in my house that I would consider trigger food -- fudge and Chex Party Mix -- and they just don't sound good to me in anything but a reasonable serving. Just so I don't jinx myself they will be disappearing here!
Lots of thinking over the next 10 days or so. I am in a thinking mood!

That is awesome that you are not dealing with the trigger foods. If you figure out the secret I would love to hear it!

I think that you have a great goal for January. I really like the new format as well. I think we will really be able to celebrate watching everyone meet their goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
I also have weakness foods but what I've been doing is trying to keep my calories within 1200-1350 per day. If I find that I have say, 200 calories left over after staying on plan all day, I will split a Snickers Ice cream bar with hubby. Plus it keeps me in check and still having something sweet to look forward to rather than indulging in a whole pint of ice cream.

So yes, Ice Cream is such a trigger for me. I don't know when to stop. I'd also say Zapp's Salt and Vinegar chips too. But... I have found that Target sells them in small bags of about 220 calories each so I'll just divide them in half with hubby also so that I don't eat the whole thing.
Sharing is a great way to do things. I do ok with the ice cream cause I put it in a teeny bowl. Chips are my weakness. I have tried buying the small bags, but then I will just eat all the small bags! I just need to not have them around until I feel a little better in control. Did you say you are using MFP? I am going to start up again in January. I got a smart phone this month and being able to scan the foods in is going to make it so much easier!

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday. We are having direct tv installed today--and of course there were issues. But I think we are on the right track now. We have lived in this house since 94 and have not had anything except over the air tv, so we are excited!

Yesterday I made cinnamon rolls (gf). Ok, I realize that does not sound very healthy living like, but it falls in the whole trigger food thing. I can't really eat stuff like that out anymore so I have to find a way to make it work with healthy eating. Part of the reason I am back in this needing to lose place again is because I just ate what I wanted when I went gf and didn't think about it. I did ok for a while because I think I was pretty malnourished, but I am healthy and the pounds are coming back on quickly. So anyhow, made the rolls yesterday. Reheated one today. I think they will freeze well, so I think they can be a weekend treat. I just need to make a plan and put the treats in my plan. In the past Mike and I would go to Panera after running and I would have a treat (and get a stomach ache ), so I need to have a plan for my treats.

Lots of thinking and planning going on in the next couple of weeks.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
cclovesdis
Warning: Boring!

Good Morning!

I have lots of ideas for 2013. I haven't decided which to make as my first goals. Right now, I'm working on increasing my steps to 10,000 per day, with a particular focus on Saturdays and Sundays. I get to 10,000 steps about 3x Monday-Friday, so I know this is a goal I can achieve.

I would love to lose 10 pounds in January and 15 by my 6 month GI appt in mid-February. I am going to see where I am on Jan. 1 and then decide on my goal. Losing 15 pounds by this appt would be about 20 pounds lost in 6 months. Then, I'd have another 2 full months before my annual with the ob/gyn. I have been telling my doctors that I'm working on my weight, but they are not seeing it on the scale.

I better go. My parents probably want to eat lunch, and there's some drama about an upcoming wake. I met her once, but my grandmother is close to her and my grandmother no longer drives.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Took some time off in December, but I'm in! I'd LOVE to lose 6 pounds this month, and I think I can do it. Woot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike
QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.
My goal is 6 pounds for this month, but since I've started working with a trainer I realize that it may not happen since I'll be building muscle. I WILL be happy with any toning and inch loss in place of pounds dropping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike
QOTD December 29, 2012

Bread. Crackers. Carby snacks. We just don't keep them anymore because they are awful for us!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
jayna22
BL II - Blue Team
I'll see what I can do

I don't think I have trigger foods as much as trigger situations. Bad day at work? Pizza..chips..chocolate. Bad relationship? More of the same. It's all a mental game in my world. I do have one successful day under my belt!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
ChrisandBJ
Earning My Ears

Complete Newbie!

I am new to posting on the dis but have been lurking for some time. Can I join? I am on a mission this year and hope to lose some weight!! (A lot) looking forward to getting to know everyone.

ChrisandBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #28
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm in.

Let's do this!
You are in the right place! This is such a great way to get support, encouragement and advice. Do you have a specific plan you are going to follow (like Weight Watchers), or has your Doctor recommended anything?

My health was a big kick in the rear for me. I was really paranoid about diabetes and my blood pressure was getting higher. Not in the "high" range but high for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisindisney View Post
I'm in! I need some motivation. I was down at a great weight and then bursitis set in to my hips and I let it kick me down. I'm back and going to get myself back where I want to be.
I had bursitis in one hip years ago and it was so painful! I eventually got a cortisone shot and haven't had a problem since. Glad you are doing better. This is a great place for motivation!

Quote:
QOTD December 29, 2012

I have a lot of things that I try to avoid -- I think popcorn is a huge one. We are a popcorn family! DH and I would have it several times a week. He is a popcorn master and makes it better than the movie theater. When I lost weight before I had to pretty much ban popcorn from being cooked. My family suffered but were mostly understanding. And no, plain air popped is not a "substitute"! I would rather eat cardboard. Of course sweets and chips/crunchy snacks are a big trigger too. I also try to allow myself a piece or 2 of dark chocolate a day but often I go past that limit. Currently I have several bags of chocolate that I got for Christmas that are problematic. I need to figure out a way to control it. I will probably go hide it upstairs and maybe just bring 2 pieces down in the morning. I rarely ever go back upstairs after I come down in the morning so if it is out of sight/ out of mind it will be easier.

At my job they keep bags of mini chocolate candy bars in the supply closet. That is going to be a huge problem too. I am going to just have to have will power. And of course people are always bringing in sweets and junk. It is harder when you just have to rely on willpower. I don't think anyone at work will join me in this so I am on my own. I am not sure yet how supportive they will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
OMG! I can't even buy Snickers Ice Cream bars-- I LOVE them! I could literally eat the entire box in one day (not saying how I know that ). I love ice cream too but I do okay with having it in the house. As long as it isn't Snickers Ice cream bars. . .

Happy Saturday! I did some breakfast experimenting this morning. I made 3 recipes from Pinterest to try to find some low carb breakfast options that I can make on the weekend and reheat during the week. I made a GF Cream Cheese pancake-- they were okay, think I need to tinker with the recipe a bit. I tried two egg dishes, a breakfast casserole with eggs and bacon that was really good, and an egg muffin that wasn't as great. I only had a few bites of each of them and I want to see how they reheat tomorrow. I always overcook the egg casseroles so I need to figure out the perfect timing so they are cooked enough that reheating them finishes the cooking with out them getting rubbery.

Next up I need to figure out snacks and lunch for work. I like soup and salad for lunch. Usually I have the soup about an hour or so before lunch, so it ends up being more as a snack, then I have the salad. I am very fortunate that where I work the other secretaries make breakfast around 9am every day so there is no problem with me heating something up and no one seems to have a problem with me eating at my desk as long as I am discreet about it. My trouble time is around 4pm, when I get off of work and get home. That is when I just start snacking on anything I can find. I need to plan out set snacks and stick to it. Unfortunately I found out that a lot of the snacks I used to have were what was making me sick so this will require some planning.

Better go clean up my kitchen. It is still covered with with my breakfast experiment mess!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #29
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna22 View Post
I don't think I have trigger foods as much as trigger situations. Bad day at work? Pizza..chips..chocolate. Bad relationship? More of the same. It's all a mental game in my world. I do have one successful day under my belt!!
Totally agree with this! Those situations are the killer. Emotional eating is so hard to control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandBJ View Post
I am new to posting on the dis but have been lurking for some time. Can I join? I am on a mission this year and hope to lose some weight!! (A lot) looking forward to getting to know everyone.
!!! Great to have you here!

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
coffeecassie
Earning My Ears

I'll give this a whirl, I usually have a hard time staying motivated, but I'm hoping to lose 20 lbs before my trip to The World in May!
coffeecassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: