Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #271
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
QOTD--Jan 3, 2013--What is your favorite non-traditional veggie? (Meaning other than: broccoli, green beans, peas, tomatoes.) Do you have a quick and easy way of preparing it that you'd like to share?

And you know it is coming---

Say something positive about yourself.

I have another busy day coming up, but I will try to check in tomorrow evening.
Have a great Thursday!
There isn't much in the vegetable universe that I DON'T like! All colors and types, cooked, raw, roasted, steamed, sit-fry, salad, grilled. In fact, the only veggies that I can think of that I just cannot stand are turnip and radishes...and I would eat the turnip if it were the only veggie offered at a meal.

For non-traditional I'll have to say jicama (cut into sticks and eaten raw...usually with hummus), or bok choy...love it stir-fried into my homemade fried rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbye View Post
I love all red vegies. Fresh, not canned beets and red cabbage are main ingredients in my purple soup!

Goodness for the day, even though I'm feeling a little under the weather I didn't let effect anyone else.
Care to share your soup recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Good Thursday morning.

We love roasted cauliflower. I can make an entire head for just the three of us and it will be gone.

Something positive I am a good friend. We are having a 60th birthday party for a friend at school today that I organized.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Glad to see you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
QOTD--Jan 3, 2013--What is your favorite non-traditional veggie? (Meaning other than: broccoli, green beans, peas, tomatoes.) Do you have a quick and easy way of preparing it that you'd like to share?

And you know it is coming---

Say something positive about yourself.

Okay, I love veggies! Roasted, raw, canned, frozen, sautéed, whatever...yum!

As for non traditional, I guess I'll say beets. I like them whole, warmed up with a little butter, salt and pepper. Delicious!

Positive thought:
Well yesterday was a very stressful day personally and at work, followed by a craptastic drive home in a blizzard. The " old " me would have had some chips and beer and called it a day and then go to bed. The NEW me had a healthy dinner, did 30 minutes of Zumba and meditated on how to fix things in a grown up way

This old dog is learning new tricks

Good luck today to everyone!
~Melinda
Great job resisting the comfort eating! That is a huge step!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb0627 View Post
My friend posted this on her Facebook page and thought I'd share it.

Bob Harper's Skinny Rules:
1. drink a large glass of water before every meal-- no excuses!
2. don't drink your calories
3. Eat protein at every meal--or stay hungry and grouchy
4. slash your intake of refined flours and grains
5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
6. Eat apples and berries every single day. Every. Single. Day.
7. No carbs after lunch
8. Learn to read food labels so you know what you are eating.
9. Stop guessing about portion sizes and get it right--for good.
10. No more added sweeteners, including artificial ones.
11. Get rid of those white potatoes.
12. Make one day a week meatless.
13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods.
14. Eat a real breakfast.
15. Make your own food and eat alt least ten meals a week at home.
16. Banish high salt foods.
17. Eat your vegetables--just do it!
18. Go to bed hungry.
19. Sleep right.
20. Plan one splurge meal a week.
I've read that before, but it definitely bears repeating! I am so pleased that so much of it is just "routine" for me!

Just a few more pages to catch up on now!..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #272
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post

Cool. We went the exact same week 2 years ago & it was wonderful. We walked on to everything & the weather rocked. Coming from chilly PA (our schools actually had a snow day because of an ice storm while we were down there), the kids loved swimming in January. I'm hoping for good weather! I saw your countdown. Will you be at the Poly? We'll be at Pop. I'm hoping to watch the water pagent & fireworks from the Poly beach one night...probably with a dole whip in my hand
We're coming from Buffalo, NY and I can't wait for the warm weather. We will be at Old Key West for this trip. I am going back down solo for the princess half at the end of February and will be staying at Poly because we are out of DVC points
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #273
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike

Nine weeks of lesson plans is great!

The counters look pretty good, but like any project it did not go off without a hitch. I guess the cabinets sagged a little over the last 18 years and they had to shim the countertops in one or two places. Which I guess is not uncommon but we now have to trim it out where the shims are. So right now I see what is "wrong" in that it looks out of level to me, but once everything is done we will be really pleased. If it was a "new" job I would be frustrated, but for a remodel on existing cabinets, it looks pretty good. We got a good deal on a solid surface from Lowes. Our neighborhood is not really increasing in prices either, but we have a great house with a great floor plan that will be paid off in 8 years.....so we are staying put for now I think. The cool thing--we will be in our early 50s when we will be able to buy a retirement home and start paying on it. That's a good reason to not move!

Ok, maybe I wasn't clear lol. No way did I do 9 weeks of plans! I am organized, but not that much! I did next week's plans for 9 Histories a day. Since I teach in alternative Ed, I teach 5th-12th grade. Yep. 5th & 6th social studies, geography, world cultures, us 1, civics, civil rights, us 2, and world history. Everyday. Wow, now that it's in writing, I don't know how I do it

I'm sure the counters look great. We were planning on staying put as well. But, DH is looking for a job & relocating is something he's always wanted to do. We spent a lot on a new roof in the fall (I think I scared Pamela with the cost lol), so we've have to put off a few other projects. And DH is hesitant to do much more right now in case we do need to sell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My whole "new year, new attitude" is rockin'! I got so much accomplished at work (and felt so good about it) that I walked in the door & started cleaning like a mad woman! All my Christmas decorations are down & I organized all the storage containers. We have so much stuff & don't use everything anymore. So, I have one container to get rid of & I filled 2 garbage bags of things I could toss. Why DH made me keep old lights, I will never know! Then I cleaned the mud room. I vacuumed bedrooms, made dinner, & put away every Christmas present that lingered under the tree. So, I am now sitting (yay) and watching the kids play the wii. They'll be going to bed in an hour or so, then I'm going to do some more cleaning-kitchen & bathroom. Plus I need to make a menu for dinners for the week & a grocery list. I'm hoping to go grocery shopping early in the morning. Boy, I guess I am just rambling now lol. Off to get something else done!

I hope everyone has a great weekend

Jill
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #274
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhan View Post
Veggie: hmmmmm I like most veggies. Except for tomatoes!!! Mt mom makes mean zucchini brownies that are to die for!!!

I would love the recipe for your mom's zucchini brownies if you could share it.

Positive....I have the most amazing husband...he has not only taken over all the typical chores but has been washing my hair and "trying" to fix it since I broke my arm has helped me get dressed and been my driver to and from work and all around. Not sure how I would manage this without hum....
You definitely have a keeper! I can only imagine how my hair would look if my husband had to do if for me!

Quote:
Wow! How awesome for your DS! Slippery rock is not too far from me. Lots of people in this area go there, especially for teaching degrees. In fact, two coworkers went there & my cousin's son just gratuated from The Rock IUP is a great school, too. I looked into that when I graduated but ended up at Youngstown State University (my dad's alma mater & it made him so proud).

Jill
He has 2 friends that are going to Slippery Rock ... so I would guess this is his second choice.

And I LOVE your new countdowns!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

Lucky girl! I used to be able to say that I had nice hair (natural blonde) until it starting going grey...and then I cut it all off in November. Now I hate it. What color are your eyes?.

Slowly getting caught up!........P
Pam I LOVED your hair cut!!!! I really did! I am sorry you haven't liked it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #275
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Did you hold off on the snacking?
I did! I even held off on ordering myself something when DH wanted Mighty Taco for dinner. I came home and ate my chicken and sweet potato like a healthy person.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #276
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty

We're coming from Buffalo, NY and I can't wait for the warm weather. We will be at Old Key West for this trip. I am going back down solo for the princess half at the end of February and will be staying at Poly because we are out of DVC points
Ugh. Buffalo. You probably get much worse weather than us. Although, we are still part of the snow belt so we may get some of the same weather. How fun! DH & I love the look of OKW. We considered dvc, but decided against right now. Here's to warm weather

Jill
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #277
Bnb0627
Mouseketeer

QOTD: When something major happens in my life that I can't control such as a family member dying from cancer I go into diet and exercise mode. At that moment I'm thinking well at least I can control that. When other things happens like the car breaks down, the bank doesn't deposit my check as cash and now some of my bills might bounce, or I dye my hair and it turns out troll doll orange.....that's when I turn to chips and chocolate!!

Positive: Today I fought the urge to say to my husband "I told you so". Even though in my head I'm thinking you are telling me everything I said 6 months ago but when I said it you looked at me like I had two heads lol.
Bnb0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #278
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty

Buffalo?! I'm right around the corner in Rochester! The best man in our wedding ( a hundred years ago ) is a buffalo cop, great guy! Hope your enjoying the snow- I'm about over it!

Jill, I just read your post and I'm exhausted! I need to sit down and catch my breath!

I love reading everyone's updates, they really keep me on track! I forgot to bring snacks to work today I was starving when I got home and ate junky! But, tomorrow is a new day- I'm starting it off with yoga and healthily foods!

Have a great nite all!
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #279
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

On 20/20 tonight they are doing a special on People Magazine's Half Their Size - in case anyone wants some extra motivation.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #280
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear lol. No way did I do 9 weeks of plans! I am organized, but not that much! I did next week's plans for 9 Histories a day. Since I teach in alternative Ed, I teach 5th-12th grade. Yep. 5th & 6th social studies, geography, world cultures, us 1, civics, civil rights, us 2, and world history. Everyday. Wow, now that it's in writing, I don't know how I do it

I'm sure the counters look great. We were planning on staying put as well. But, DH is looking for a job & relocating is something he's always wanted to do. We spent a lot on a new roof in the fall (I think I scared Pamela with the cost lol), so we've have to put off a few other projects. And DH is hesitant to do much more right now in case we do need to sell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My whole "new year, new attitude" is rockin'! I got so much accomplished at work (and felt so good about it) that I walked in the door & started cleaning like a mad woman! All my Christmas decorations are down & I organized all the storage containers. We have so much stuff & don't use everything anymore. So, I have one container to get rid of & I filled 2 garbage bags of things I could toss. Why DH made me keep old lights, I will never know! Then I cleaned the mud room. I vacuumed bedrooms, made dinner, & put away every Christmas present that lingered under the tree. So, I am now sitting (yay) and watching the kids play the wii. They'll be going to bed in an hour or so, then I'm going to do some more cleaning-kitchen & bathroom. Plus I need to make a menu for dinners for the week & a grocery list. I'm hoping to go grocery shopping early in the morning. Boy, I guess I am just rambling now lol. Off to get something else done!

I hope everyone has a great weekend

Jill
Watch out... Crazy Cleaning Lady coming through! Great job! And don't forget that cleaning is good exercise too!

I try not to even look at my roof when I come down the road now...I'm noticing how much worse it looks than our neighbors who built AFTER us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary•Poppins View Post
Pam I LOVED your hair cut!!!! I really did! I am sorry you haven't liked it.
Away...thanks. It still feels way too short for me, but I'm trying to remember it will grow..but today it looked especially crummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloirishkitty View Post
I did! I even held off on ordering myself something when DH wanted Mighty Taco for dinner. I came home and ate my chicken and sweet potato like a healthy person.
Good job! And honestly, that sounds delish to me. DS is allergic to chicken so we don't have it very often and I adore sweet potato!

Woohoo! Caught up! See you all tomorrow!........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #281
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Good evening!

QOTD - I struggle with this. I'm definitely a hyper-organized (borderline OCD?) control freak. My husband has *loads* of patience! And yet, I'm a very optimistic person. So when things go off the rails, I might have a little tantrum (and I wonder where DD5 gets it...), and I might get very frustrated, but I can usually come around to the sunny side before long. The trick is not to console myself with lousy food choices in the meantime! I've developed a wee mantra-like thing for those situations: I can't control that, but I can control *this.* Lather, rinse, repeat.

And the positive! I had a great day. I made super food choices (including our IKEA dinner - smoked salmon plate & a salad!), I successfully tied down the hatch on my new car to keep our IKEA purchases (loft beds for the girls) from sliding out while I drove the half-hour home, I ran 3+ miles first thing this morning...and I tried on an impulse-buy long blue nightgown from Target. And it looked - no, *I* looked - hot! Definitely going to have to bust that out on a no-kids trip...

Now, time to keep up with my WW goal thingies. I'm struggling with the 7-8 hours of sleep a night, which is why I chose it! We don't have to be up as early as usual tomorrow - 8:30 will be luxuriously late! - so I have a shot at it. Even if I read the first chapter of my library book first...

Happy weekend!

XO
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #282
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Good Friday morning!

Here is your question of the day.

QOTD Friday, January 4, 2013

I have been thinking about this all week--which for those who know me, that means another deep thinking kind of question. You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable, but at least put some thought into it.

How do you handle situations that you can't control? Are you a roll with the punches kind of person or if things don't go as planned does your day (week, month) spiral out of control? How does all this effect your healthy eating and exercise?

I know that there are multiple questions there, but I want you to think about it all in terms of how you handle situations and how it effects your weight.

And as always--say something positive about yourself.
I never did answer this one! I am a total control freak and have been know to go bat-crap crazy when plans go astray! That said, I am trying HARD to learn to roll with things and set an example for my kids to be more forgiving and flexible...especially DD, who is so like me! It has taken a loooong time during this journey to learn to NOT eat for comfort when things don't go as expected, but it is something I've got a decent handle on. I was really tested two years ago when DH had his accident and I spent T.giving week sleeping in the ICU waiting room...so many late nights I could have comforted myself with a big treat (bakery was just one floor down)....but I kept my food control the entire time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Good evening!

QOTD - I struggle with this. I'm definitely a hyper-organized (borderline OCD?) control freak. My husband has *loads* of patience! And yet, I'm a very optimistic person. So when things go off the rails, I might have a little tantrum (and I wonder where DD5 gets it...), and I might get very frustrated, but I can usually come around to the sunny side before long. The trick is not to console myself with lousy food choices in the meantime! I've developed a wee mantra-like thing for those situations: I can't control that, but I can control *this.* Lather, rinse, repeat.

And the positive! I had a great day. I made super food choices (including our IKEA dinner - smoked salmon plate & a salad!), I successfully tied down the hatch on my new car to keep our IKEA purchases (loft beds for the girls) from sliding out while I drove the half-hour home, I ran 3+ miles first thing this morning...and I tried on an impulse-buy long blue nightgown from Target. And it looked - no, *I* looked - hot! Definitely going to have to bust that out on a no-kids trip...

Now, time to keep up with my WW goal thingies. I'm struggling with the 7-8 hours of sleep a night, which is why I chose it! We don't have to be up as early as usual tomorrow - 8:30 will be luxuriously late! - so I have a shot at it. Even if I read the first chapter of my library book first...

Happy weekend!

XO
Liz

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
First of all...woohoo on the nightgown

Second.....I love your mantra! I was something I had to say to myself over and over during DH's hospitalization.

Third.. I'm jealous you have an Ikea!

Happy sunny Saturday friends! Workout is DONE! no swim meets this weekend just the usual laundry, dishes, cooking, vacuuming on the list for today....and probably take down the tree.

I'm here at the Y waiting for swim practice to finish up and for some reason I am starving! Not sure if I will make it until I get home, as it will be nearly 10:30am! Wish I had brought my post-workout breakfast with me.

Tacos/taco salads on the menu for tonight. DH won't be home as he is hob-nobbing with big wigs tonight! He is going to a party at Dean Kamen's house!(Those of you with kids involved with FRC and FLL should recognize that name )

Lunch will probably end up being brunch for DD and I when we get home. The guys are at the official kickoff for FRC season all day. We have plenty of nice local organic eggs in the house, so I'll probably make us egg white omelettes with low fat cheddar and spinach... maybe some salsa on mine. Cantaloupe and apples to round it out. Can you tell I'm hungry? I keep talking about food!

I might spend some time on Pinterest today looking for new recipes. I'll share if I find anything good! Hope everyone has a super Saturday! BBL to chat!..........P

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #283
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike
Good Friday morning!

How do you handle situations that you can't control? Are you a roll with the punches kind of person or if things don't go as planned does your day (week, month) spiral out of control? How does all this effect your healthy eating and exercise?

And as always--say something positive about yourself.
I love this question! I try very hard not to ever have a plan. I know how easily plans are broken! Even with our upcoming trip, I have a general idea of the parks were going to each day, and the things we want to do, but the only thing really set in stone are our ADRs. I'm the only one in my household who isn't extremely routine-oriented--I'm an artist and a free spirit and tend to go with the flow.

The only time lack of plans affects my eating is when we end up without a meal plan and have to get a quick meal. I don't like anything at the drive thru, so it's difficult for me to get anything quick and healthy. Even the salads at McDs always seem like they're coated in some kind of icky preservative! Blech!

Something positive about myself: I am a talented artist.

FairyDawn on Etsy

Last edited by Missypyxi; 01-05-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #284
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne

I don't eat or I eat a lot. It's very hard for me to accept that anything is beyond my control. I'm kind of like the female raptor in Jurassic park--always testing the fence.

Something positive about myself--I'm smart.

Had kind of a major breakdown last night about my Dad--don't know what triggered it....? It usually happens around Christmas though--guess I was just late. Haven't talked to him in years--I miss him. I should call him but it's hard. His Christianity means a lot to him and I'm an atheist--can't help it--can't change what I am. I tried beating around the bush with him for years about the subject until I finally told him....he hasn't called me since.
Feeling kind of drained today. It's nice and sunny though and I think I'll go in to work and get some fresh dungeness for an omelette tonight. Go for a bike ride later with my husband on the river.
This struck a chord with me! I lost my father in 2009 to cancer and I wish so much that I could pick up the phone and call him. Call him. Tell him you love him and you want a relationship with him despite your differences in beliefs. He's your father, you're his daughter. Call him and tell him you love him and you miss him. You never know when he won't be there to call anymore.

FairyDawn on Etsy
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #285
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missypyxi View Post
This struck a chord with me! I lost my father in 2009 to cancer and I wish so much that I could pick up the phone and call him. Call him. Tell him you love him and you want a relationship with him despite your differences in beliefs. He's your father, you're his daughter. Call him and tell him you love him and you miss him. You never know when he won't be there to call anymore.
I agree that you should call. Dh and I still have both sets of parents. We know we are lucky. His parents are both in their late 80's. My father is in his late 80's and my mother just turned 80.

Everyone who knows me that for Thanksgiving I cook at turkey dinner and bring it down to mil's house since she can't travel any more. A week before Thanksgiving we got an email from dh's sister. She only lives about an hour from mil's. She told us that she couldn't make it to THanksgiving because she had to take mil to the dr the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and she didn 't think she could make the trip 2 days later. My dh read her email and told me he almost cried. AS much as it is getting to be a pain to cook and pack and serve (not to mention the cost since no one else cooks in dh's family) I still do it for my dh and his parents.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: