Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran
 
3pletprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the border
Posts: 2,978

I would plan the first trip around the oldest 5 or 6th b-day. I found that56yo was the magic age for my girls. They were less shy to talk and the interaction was better and they still believe in characters. I would plan another trip around the same age for the youngest. The first trip the youngest would still be under 3yo which will be cheaper for you and then for the second trip, the oldest will be under the age of 10 which is Disney magical number for adult rates which saves you money again.
__________________
Me DH & our lovely triplet DD and toddler
3pletprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
mummabear
DIS Veteran
 
mummabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Every family is different and you're the best judge of when you should take your children. Taking a toddler can be challenging and if you decide to go before the youngest is potty-trained, you're going to have even more to deal with. But then, you will also want to go while the oldest is still enchanted by the *magic*. So, you're walking a fine line.
.
I don't know why you would want to wait until they are potty trained, personally I found it easier when they were in diapers....

I agree with 2 trips ever one when they are young enough to believe it is all real and one when they are tall neough for all the rides...
__________________
DL 85,96,05,07,12.
WDW 08,11, AOA 2013(28 Day Dream trip)!
Upcoming: DL Sept 2014
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #18
tigger51276
DIS Veteran
 
tigger51276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,198

Honestly I have to say that some of my favorite trips with my kids were when they were really little. The looks of amazement on their faces where wonderful. They both seemed to love everything. There also weren't any meltdowns over not being able to buy everything in sight. I would say if you have the money to go and you think it would be a fun trip then do it, life is too short and you never know if in a couple years you may not have the money. Things happen, just do it if you can! As a few PP have mentioned, once you go down there you and your DH may decide you love it there and will go a lot more than twice.
__________________
Off property in 6/88, 6/94, 7/94, 12/94 and 1/95
On property- Shades of Green 5/95 & 5/96 - ASM 9/98 and 9/99 (Bought DVC during stay) OKW 8/00, 5/01, 9/02, 5/04, 9/05, 5/06 - WLV 9/00
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
mikehn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
I disagree that it is more magical when kids are young.
We just went this fall, and we have been before as well.
Our kids are a little older, and I think they appreciate being there so much more because they get the whole experience when they are older.
I agree with this. Wait a few years if you can stand it.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 7,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummabear View Post
I don't know why you would want to wait until they are potty trained, personally I found it easier when they were in diapers....

I agree with 2 trips ever one when they are young enough to believe it is all real and one when they are tall neough for all the rides...
Because lugging a diaper bag full of diapers, wipes and clothing changes around the parks is not my idea of fun.

And then there's getting all of those diapers, wipes and extra clothes to Disney to begin with. It gets pretty pricey to check a suitcase full of that stuff.

Once they're potty trained, you don't deal with any of that. TBH, I needed more bathroom breaks than any of my kids did when they were small.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
tigger51276
DIS Veteran
 
tigger51276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Because lugging a diaper bag full of diapers, wipes and clothing changes around the parks is not my idea of fun.

And then there's getting all of those diapers, wipes and extra clothes to Disney to begin with. It gets pretty pricey to check a suitcase full of that stuff.

Once they're potty trained, you don't deal with any of that. TBH, I needed more bathroom breaks than any of my kids did when they were small.
Honestly I have a very small diaper carrier that I used in parks, it held 5 diapers, a carry wipe container and I could pack a non bulky outfit into it and it was no bigger than a formal evening bag. I loved it. Now that my kids are out of diapers I find I have to carry a backpack which is far more heavy than a diaper bag. As for getting diapers and wipes there, I just throw them in the stroller check bag I have and didn't have to worry about taking up suitcase space. Also the good things about clothes at that age is they are so small that they didn't take up much space at all so packing some extra's was no problem for me. However everyone is different and will certainly have different opinions. I'm pretty laid back and have done WDW many times so being their with little ones, while it was a different experience, was no problem for me and I have done it most trips by myself.
__________________
Off property in 6/88, 6/94, 7/94, 12/94 and 1/95
On property- Shades of Green 5/95 & 5/96 - ASM 9/98 and 9/99 (Bought DVC during stay) OKW 8/00, 5/01, 9/02, 5/04, 9/05, 5/06 - WLV 9/00
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 7,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger51276 View Post
Honestly I have a very small diaper carrier that I used in parks, it held 5 diapers, a carry wipe container and I could pack a non bulky outfit into it and it was no bigger than a formal evening bag. I loved it. Now that my kids are out of diapers I find I have to carry a backpack which is far more heavy than a diaper bag. As for getting diapers and wipes there, I just throw them in the stroller check bag I have and didn't have to worry about taking up suitcase space. Also the good things about clothes at that age is they are so small that they didn't take up much space at all so packing some extra's was no problem for me. However everyone is different and will certainly have different opinions. I'm pretty laid back and have done WDW many times so being their with little ones, while it was a different experience, was no problem for me and I have done it most trips by myself.
To each their own. I refused to be the pack mule for the family, so the kids always carried their own stuff once we were done with the diaper bag phase of their lives. I was happy to be done with it and enjoyed trips with the kids much more once everyone was out of diapers. If I was only going to get two chances to go to Disney (like the OP), I wouldn't choose one of them to be at a time when I had to deal with diapers. However, if I had been guaranteed that there were several more trips to come, I would be more willing to deal with them one trip.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #23
teacup princess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 873

We took our first trip when our first daughter was 6 almost 7, just on the cusp of outgrowing the princess thing. I ADORE my pictures of her in her princess dress at the parks after BBB. So I vote don't wait too long. You'll never get that moment where they want to be a princess back. Now that they're older it's still fun but not quite as magical.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
lolobug
DIS Veteran
 
lolobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess
We took our first trip when our first daughter was 6 almost 7, just on the cusp of outgrowing the princess thing. I ADORE my pictures of her in her princess dress at the parks after BBB. So I vote don't wait too long. You'll never get that moment where they want to be a princess back. Now that they're older it's still fun but not quite as magical.
Thank you! Hearing that makes me want to have 6 more
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.