Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
lolobug
DIS Veteran
 
lolobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 631

should we wait?

hi!
DH plans on making 2 disney trips, ever. i've never gone and we are trying to determine when we should make the trip. our oldest daughter will be 4 in january and our baby will be 16 months (in jan).should we go next year or wait and save for a few years down the road? i have the visa platinum card and have started collecting disney gift cards, will any of my disney dollars or gift cards expire? thank you!
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 7,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
hi!
DH plans on making 2 disney trips, ever. i've never gone and we are trying to determine when we should make the trip. our oldest daughter will be 4 in january and our baby will be 16 months (in jan).should we go next year or wait and save for a few years down the road? i have the visa platinum card and have started collecting disney gift cards, will any of my disney dollars or gift cards expire? thank you!
The gift cards never expire. The Disney Rewards Dollars will expire 5 years after the date they were earned unless they have been transferred to a rewards card. Once they are on a rewards card, they will expire when the card expires.

Every family is different and you're the best judge of when you should take your children. Taking a toddler can be challenging and if you decide to go before the youngest is potty-trained, you're going to have even more to deal with. But then, you will also want to go while the oldest is still enchanted by the *magic*. So, you're walking a fine line.

Add to it, the financial side. Children under the age of 3 years are admitted to the parks for free. They can also share a plate with their parents in most restaurants for no charge. You can save a lot of money by taking your trip before the baby turns 3.

If it were myself, I would put off the trip until just before the youngest turns 3. One and a half years is not too long to wait. The oldest would be around 6, which is a wonderful age for princesses and magic. Your Disney Rewards Dollars will not be expired before then. And your little one would basically be able to stay, play and dine for free.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,871

And remember that most people do not go into that first trip planning to return numerous times.. I know we never thought that first trip would lead to a passion and more trips that we could have ever imagined. IF however you feel very sure that you will indeed only go twice, I would wait for that first trip until just before your little one turns 3.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
lolobug
DIS Veteran
 
lolobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA
And remember that most people do not go into that first trip planning to return numerous times.. I know we never thought that first trip would lead to a passion and more trips that we could have ever imagined. IF however you feel very sure that you will indeed only go twice, I would wait for that first trip until just before your little one turns 3.
Thank you! I too think there may be more than 2 trips but if we really only go twice I'd love to plan it just right
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Bellabully
Official Disney Addict
 
Bellabully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 142

When to go

I waited until DD was seven and this worked for us, but every family is different. My bit of advice would be to follow your child's lead. Enjoy the surroundings, go slow and REALLY enjoy where you are. Like many we made the mad dash to try to squeeze everything all in and you really can't. Of all the craziness, the best moment of the trip was DD playing in the water sprays at EPCOT, she could've done it all day. Meanwhile, I sat and thought about all the things we should be doing When what I should've been enjoying DD enjoy herself. Lesson learned. Off my soapbox. Hope you have a wonderful trip whenever you go
__________________

Me DH DD
**************************************************
September 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2011 & June 2012: Boardwalk Villas, April 2013: Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas, April 2014: Beach Club Villas, April 2015 Beach Club Villas
Bellabully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Mommyof3inVA
Mouseketeer
 
Mommyof3inVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 191

We went last spring with 3 kids ALL under 5 years old. We had a great time and all of the kids did great despite the heat. We did have 2 strollers and we made sure to take a lot of breaks. I think you should go in the next year. It is so much more 'magical' when your children are younger. Plus they are free under 3 years old.

tip-be sure to bring your own or buy the portable fan-this was great and we were able to secure it to the stroller.
__________________
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/2vubxwv2fnpt6m3c.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>

4-29-2012 Disney World-off property
4-20-2013 Wyndham Bonnet Creek
5-03-2014 Disney World-Polynesian
5-02-2015 Disney Cruise-Fantasy

Allie-7 Hunter-4 Alexis-3

Check out my Disney blog: http://disneyworldonabudget.blogspot...e-keeping.html
Mommyof3inVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran
 
Wills Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,622

We are bringing DS in May, he will be almost 15 months. We plan on going back when DS is around 4/5 depending on when baby #2 (and possibly 3 if I get my way lol!) comes along.
While I know that all children are completely different I have to say we are bringing DS based on past experience with my in laws kids. One turned 1 when we were at WDW and the other was almost 3, both boys were so so so different from each other. The 1 year old was so easy, despite being a normally difficult infant at home (and he was also sick for 3 days while on vacation and he was still in great form) whereas the 3 year old who was normally the easiest child I have ever encountered (and still is!) was an absolute nightmare! He cried and cried and cried and didn't want to do anything, he wanted to go home. It went on for 2 weeks until we came home and he reverted back to his happy self. He went again when he was 4.5 and was a dream child, loved everything and has been other times since (hes now 9) and still talks about the time he went when he was 4.5!
Anyway, thats just one experience, everyones kids are different. Only you and your DH know whats right for your family. As a PP said your first trip will invariably lead to more and more trips anyway
__________________
Me DH DS DS Sammy the Spitz



Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Fjobe
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette


If it were myself, I would put off the trip until just before the youngest turns 3.
I agree with this! We waited until our youngest was 2 years 9 months and completely potty trained before we took the kids to Disney. This meant the older 2 were 4 1/2 and almost 8. They all enjoyed the trip so much! We went again last summer when they were 3 1/2, 5 1/2, and 9. Again, they all had a blast!
__________________
Married 13 years to my High School Sweetheart
Mommy to DS10, DD7, and DD5

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
magicwishes
Mouseketeer
 
magicwishes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjobe View Post
I agree with this! We waited until our youngest was 2 years 9 months and completely potty trained before we took the kids to Disney. This meant the older 2 were 4 1/2 and almost 8. They all enjoyed the trip so much! We went again last summer when they were 3 1/2, 5 1/2, and 9. Again, they all had a blast!

I would also wait until the youngest is about to turn 3 for the first trip.
magicwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
cvjw
DIS Veteran
 
cvjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 3,263

I would wait - we took younger DS to Disney for the 1st time at 14 months, and it was no fun for anyone on the trip. If your DH only wants to visit twice, having a bad trip with a fussy toddler could turn it into only 1 Disney trip.

Just FYI, I took all of our Disney rewards dollars from the Disney visa and purchased Disney gift cards at the Disney store. Disney gift cards never expire and can ensure that you never lose your rewards dollars.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer
 
Swirly girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof3inVA View Post
We went last spring with 3 kids ALL under 5 years old. We had a great time and all of the kids did great despite the heat. We did have 2 strollers and we made sure to take a lot of breaks. I think you should go in the next year. It is so much more 'magical' when your children are younger. Plus they are free under 3 years old.

tip-be sure to bring your own or buy the portable fan-this was great and we were able to secure it to the stroller.
I disagree that it is more magical when kids are young.
We just went this fall, and we have been before as well.
Our kids are a little older, and I think they appreciate being there so much more because they get the whole experience when they are older.
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
AllieV
DIS Veteran
 
AllieV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the cold and smoggy northeast
Posts: 878

I took the little one when he was 3 years 10 months. He had far more fun at the end of the day when we dropped him off at Camp Dolphin while we had dinner. Our next trip is when he'll be 5 years 3 months and I can already see (he's 4.10 now) that he's processing things around him better. Also, he was still napping then but now he's not, so the day will be much easier to handle.

I mention this because your oldest is now 4. If you wait till he's a bit older, he'll enjoy it much more. Tune Town and Fantasyland was closed when we went, otherwise I think he'd have liked it better.
__________________
************************************************** ******
AllieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
lolobug
DIS Veteran
 
lolobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw
I would wait - we took younger DS to Disney for the 1st time at 14 months, and it was no fun for anyone on the trip. If your DH only wants to visit twice, having a bad trip with a fussy toddler could turn it into only 1 Disney trip.

Just FYI, I took all of our Disney rewards dollars from the Disney visa and purchased Disney gift cards at the Disney store. Disney gift cards never expire and can ensure that you never lose your rewards dollars.
Thank you! I'll purchase GC's also, great idea!
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
lolobug
DIS Veteran
 
lolobug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV
I took the little one when he was 3 years 10 months. He had far more fun at the end of the day when we dropped him off at Camp Dolphin while we had dinner. Our next trip is when he'll be 5 years 3 months and I can already see (he's 4.10 now) that he's processing things around him better. Also, he was still napping then but now he's not, so the day will be much easier to handle.

I mention this because your oldest is now 4. If you wait till he's a bit older, he'll enjoy it much more. Tune Town and Fantasyland was closed when we went, otherwise I think he'd have liked it better.
Thanks for the great advice. I think we'll use our visa and accrue money towards our trip and try to go when the little one is out of diapers, perhaps done w a nap, as well!
lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
RoosMama
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobug View Post
Thanks for the great advice. I think we'll use our visa and accrue money towards our trip and try to go when the little one is out of diapers, perhaps done w a nap, as well!
Just a thought - I have heard from others that taking kids somewhat newly potty trained can be hard, even if they are fully potty trained, because they want to visit every single bathroom. It might be easier to slap a diaper on rather than seeing the inside of every Disney bathroom!
RoosMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.