Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
MermaidMommy
DIS Veteran

Is it awkward or frowned upon to split meals at nicer or signature restaurants?

DD13 and I will be on our own for our next trip. While she eats like a bird, she does enjoy good food. I'd like to try a couple of nicer restaurants, but I have a hard time paying big bucks for a meal that she'll only eat a quarter of. I'd like it if we could share an appetizer and an entree, or maybe just each order an appetizer or salad instead of an entree. I know that sharing is usually OK except for buffets/character dining/prix fixe, but is it frowned on anywhere else? I'm looking at places like Narcoosee's, Brown Derby, Le Cellier, Citrico's.

Oh, and we're not on the dining plan. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

. . . not awkward
. . . not frowned upon
. . . not allowed at buffets and all-you-can-eat, only

NOTE: The wife and I do this all the time, as we both have
smaller appetites. (Old age does that to a person.)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Go for it and have a great time with your daughter! I never had an issue sharing with my kids or just ordering an app as my dinner. I am not cheap at all just a light eater.
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
AppleSister1
DIS Veteran

We do this with no problem. Sometimes we've split/shared even when it's only adults at the table!
1982 - WDW, Off site * 1996 - Grand Floridian * 1997 - DL, Disneyland Hotel * 1998 - CSR * 2000 - YC* 2001 - DL, Grand Californian * 2002 - YC * 2003 - YC * 2004 - BC Concierge * 2006 - YC * 2008 - YC * Jan 2010 - WL * May 2010-Poly * Dec 2010 - CSR *April 2011 - AKL CL * Sept 2011 - YC * Dec 2011 - YC * May 2012 - YC * July 2012 - Aulani * Dec 2012 - POFQ * April 2013 - POFQ * June 2014- Contemporary * October '14 Boardwalk
AppleSister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
anniemck
DIS Veteran

I had weight loss surgery in 2009, hubby and I share a meal all the time now.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
usmcwife1
Mouseketeer

I will be doing the same this trip, during our last trip we wasted a lot of food the first few days before I realized that Disney-sized portions were more than I am accustomed to eating. DH did fine, but I couldn't finish my meal and neither could my youngest DS. This trip he and I will be sharing, fortunately for me he loves trying new foods and doesn't like the typical kid fare so he'll do just fine eating off the adult menu. We have also discussed ordering an appetizer and salad for the middle two to split as well if they don't want the kids meals at a particular restaurant, they eat what we eat and usually will opt for something more "adult". My oldest will stick to the kids menu, he will be perfectly content with mac and cheese and chicken nuggets all week, actually he probably looks forward to it! lol

DONE: Post-Deployment trip (and first time) to WDW in September 2011!
DONE: Trip #2 Late April 2013!
DONE: Trip #3 June 2014!

TO DO: Plan Trip #4 Mid April 2014!

usmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

At the better restaurants there is a greater probability that they will actually do the splitting for you in the kitchen, so each of you will have your own plates.

Note this may not work if you are on a Dining Plan, but will definitely work if you have the TiW Discount Dining Card.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Most of the restaurants you mentioned also have great appetizer options, so that might be an option if there is nothing that you really want to split. We just made a reservation at Il Mulino at the Swan, and they will actually do half-portions of their pasta dishes, so you wouldn't even have to split with that option. On that note, the restaurants that you mentioned are pretty nice, so it would be worth asking if they might also do a smaller portion of a dish. Nicer restaurants tend to be willing to do that more than others, so it couldn't hurt to ask.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
partyof2
Colette

This is great news!

Boyfriend and I really want to try the Porterhouse at the Yachtsman but neither of us would manage it solo. We wanted to split and buy a couple of sides. Glad to know it will be okay.
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!

partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
kerri0616
DIS Veteran

I've been thinking about the 4 of us splitting 2 bounty platters for a Kona breakfast. it just looks like so much food!

Hopefully others have done this before and the server won't have an issue.

K
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
DVCTX
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof2 View Post
This is great news!

Boyfriend and I really want to try the Porterhouse at the Yachtsman but neither of us would manage it solo. We wanted to split and buy a couple of sides. Glad to know it will be okay.
This is exactly what we did last December and they split the meal in the kitchen. No problem at all. We did add an appetizer and dessert so it was still a big meal. Love the Yachtsman.
DVCTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
MentalVacation
Mouseketeer

Ok, so I'm going to ask the dumb question -- if you ARE on the DDP, this is not allowed at TS? I assume they don't care on QS or whatnot and I remember vaguely splitting some QS meals last time (on DxDDP) like wraps and burgers and whatnot...BUT I don't think the question was ever raised about splitting at a TS....I suppose you are still using part of the other person's credit for their drink and such? And the space? IDK, but I am curious. Lord knows I'd never get my DH to split an entree with me anyway. My mom and I split last time regularly, and I know both of my kids eat very lightly, so if we do the DDP again that will be painful to watch the waste.

October 2013 -- Saratoga Springs -- DS will turn 7 the day before we leave, DD (1st trip) will turn 4 on the trip. Birthdays at Disney!!!!!!
May 2009 - 1st Trip w/DS - AKL
May 2004 - Engaged! - POFQ
December 1998 - ASM (never again Herbie the Love Bug!)
March 1995 - Off property
October 1994 - Caribbean Beach - Unofficial Senior trip
August 1993 - Off property - First trip!
August 1992 - Disneyland - First trip!
MentalVacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #13
Jenny52
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalVacation
Ok, so I'm going to ask the dumb question -- if you ARE on the DDP, this is not allowed at TS? I assume they don't care on QS or whatnot and I remember vaguely splitting some QS meals last time (on DxDDP) like wraps and burgers and whatnot...BUT I don't think the question was ever raised about splitting at a TS....I suppose you are still using part of the other person's credit for their drink and such? And the space? IDK, but I am curious. Lord knows I'd never get my DH to split an entree with me anyway. My mom and I split last time regularly, and I know both of my kids eat very lightly, so if we do the DDP again that will be painful to watch the waste.
I have the same question! Can you split on the DDP?
Jenny52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add how much I appreciate Disney CMs and their responses to different eating styles. That goes for DL, WDW and DCL. The portions everywhere are just huge. So I routinely order an appetizer instead of an entree or split and entree with our oldest son (although he's a teen now, so his days of sharing with me are numbered.) No confused looks from CMs.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Coyotesweat
Mouseketeer

I am planning on splitting lots of meals. Hubby and I have QS plan, and two table service ADRs. Will likely split almost all, as hubby needs to eat something small about every 3-4 hours from getting up to bedtime. If I ate a full meal each time I would gain a ton and be too full to walk. So we will probably split 4 nice little meals a day (like Moroccan lamb plate or a sushi plate, or a salmon and egg sandwich) ....possibly with a pastry or fruit snack credit for breakfast at least for hubby. On our two restaurant meals, coral reef we will probably have the appetizer for two, plus a fufu drink for me, and at Sci Fi Diner we will split something and ill have a shake (hubby doesn't do sugar overload but I do! I'll be eating most of the included desserts...). Guess I'll have to bring my shorts and go jogging after returning from the parks!). I do tip a little extra when splitting meals at table service to account for the extra work.

Katie
Coyotesweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: