Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
TheLostGirlsMom
Earning My Ears

We've rented points the last two trips and it has gone very smoothly. I actually contacted the owner I rented thru last year, today for a stay this April. We are willing to move around a bit so hopefully there's some availablity. We can stay for the price of dues if we had bought. Renting works for us
TheLostGirlsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
I have done it, just remember ask for references if you wish. Look for someone who has done it before. I have never paid more than 11$ a point. Anyone who asks for More than $12, is asking too much in my opinion.
It's a great way to save and it helps out owner and renter.
$12 is the current bargin price for most listings by owner now.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
jrw118
Mouseketeer

I have rented 3 times And all 3 have paid significantly less than $12. It all depends how far in advance you are booking. If you want a premium resort (BC,BLT) ect typically booking 7-1 months out $10-12 a point if you can travel more flexibly and book closer the date you will do much better. I booked savanah studio last August (2012) and got 6 nights for $640 total. It was about $6 per point. I booked in July. The ear before we had a 1 bedroom @ OKW for 6 nights and it was $900.
Aug 23-Aug 29 2012 AKV Kidani Savanna
Aug 21- Aug 27 2013 Beach Club
jrw118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw118 View Post
I have rented 3 times And all 3 have paid significantly less than $12. It all depends how far in advance you are booking. If you want a premium resort (BC,BLT) ect typically booking 7-1 months out $10-12 a point if you can travel more flexibly and book closer the date you will do much better. I booked savanah studio last August (2012) and got 6 nights for $640 total. It was about $6 per point. I booked in July. The ear before we had a 1 bedroom @ OKW for 6 nights and it was $900.
You risk not getting anything at all with DVC if you wait too late. And there is no guarantee that a member will let their points go for $6 a point any more. Members book their home resorts at 11 months out and non-home resorts at seven months out. You are only getting what might be left over if you wait until a month or two out. Plus a member might not even want to book for you if you are 30 days out. Their points are in jeopardy at that time and if you don't pay they lose flexibility with their points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #20
patty57
DIS Veteran

As others have said, it's possible to get cheaper points, but they will be for a last minute stay. It's very unlikely that you will be able to book a popular week last minute...anywhere. The price of points has increased over the past few years. Three years ago, $10 per point was very common. Now, $12+ is more common.
Yes, things can go wrong, and you can get scammed. That usually doesn't happen, but sometimes it does. Do your homework about renting points to try and protect yourself as best you can. I agree with using renters with higher post counts. It isn't foolproof, but it's a level of comfort for me. With that said, the last person I rented from used me as a reference, and then never made the reservation for the person I gave her a good recommendation to. I was mortified!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohloff08 View Post
Has anyone had any negative experiences renting DVC points? We would really like ot be in a villa next November and renting points is so much more affordable but I have never done it before. Your thoughts on renting?
Our first experience with dvc was through renting. Our primary reason was that our first 2 visits to the world was in Ft wilderness cabins and after having all that space it was really hard for us to go back to staying in a tiny hotel room (we tried values after that, talk about a disaster)

We rented from a disser and it was a great experience. I totally admit to being nervous but my owner went out of her way to answer my billions of questions and kept me in the loop. We gave her 1/3 down, then another 1/3 4 months prior and the final payment we fedexed to her a week before the trip.
She copied us on all reciepts and stuff from disney.

We ended up purchasing soon after.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Our first experience with dvc was through renting. Our primary reason was that our first 2 visits to the world was in Ft wilderness cabins and after having all that space it was really hard for us to go back to staying in a tiny hotel room (we tried values after that, talk about a disaster)

We rented from a disser and it was a great experience. I totally admit to being nervous but my owner went out of her way to answer my billions of questions and kept me in the loop. We gave her 1/3 down, then another 1/3 4 months prior and the final payment we fedexed to her a week before the trip.
She copied us on all reciepts and stuff from disney.

We ended up purchasing soon after.
You were very lucky to be able to pay the last third of your payment only two weeks out. Most members want either full payment once the reservation is made or partial to make the reservation and the rest shortly thereafter.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #23
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

it seems like all the site i went of the point rate is 13 a point...has anyone found anything cheaper?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeprogram01 View Post
it seems like all the site i went of the point rate is 13 a point...has anyone found anything cheaper?
Most of the posts that I've seen on the DVC Rent/Trade Board lately are for $11 or $12 per point. http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
Julie711
Mouseketeer

We rented points twice last yr from 2 different people. First stay was in February and stayed at AKL & rented those points for $9 a Point, second trip was in November and stayed at boardwalk & rented those points for $10 a point. Both times had nice easy transactions & any future trips ( usually go once a yr) will be renting points!!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I just rented points for the 1dt time yesterday.

I'm a longtime veteran to these boards & go to WDW 3-4 times a year, but I just wasn't comfortable doing it until now. It felt too risky, and I'm a control freak that likes to do everything myself. And now, I think I might be hooked!

I found my renter on ****************. I did a very thorough search of her (FL deeds - you can check their DVC deed, Facebook, DIS, ***********, etc.) She wanted $10/pt and was SUPER nice. Since I'm booking for this March, all of my dates were no longer available, but she ran a few scenarios for me to get me (and her) the best deal. I don't know that other renters would be willing to do so much legwork.

After a whole afternoon of back & forth (she was a saint!) we ended up booking 2 nts AKL 1BR Jambo & she waitlisted 2 more. I currently have a cash ressie for all 4 nts (plus 2 more at WL) so if the other 2 nts don't come through, I still have them. Just at a MUCH higher rate. I saved $180 per night on this villas by renting points. You can save MUCH more if you're paying rack rate (I had booked with AP discount).

She emailed me a contract, I paid in full up front via Paypal (plus a refundable deposit on the waitlist nights), and she emailed me the confirmation from Disney with the ressie in my name. I am able to enter the DVC ressie number into My Disney Experience, so I'm very confident this will go smoothly. If not, lesson learned!

So I took the plunge....so can you!

Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

oops didn't realize I wasn't allowed to say the other place! Sorry DIS-ers!

Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
patty57
DIS Veteran

The other place has a very active rental board. I've done my rentals there.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
nym4588
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellm View Post
We're looking to rent for that same week. I've been in contact with both David's site and the DVC rental store - and no one has points. I'm still on their list to try and fill my request, but it's not looking good!

Everyone makes it sound like renting with a service is a sure thing ... I wasn't really aware that it's very possible that rooms will be available, but points will not. And the rooms will be sold out before points become available.

eta: Not sure how I ended up with a winky face on my post! Didn't mean to do that
I'm running into the same problem. I want an OKW or BWV studio for ten days next January - the 11 month window opened yesterday. I checked through DVC Rental Store. No points are available. Today I applied through David's rental store; I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But at this point, I'm worried!
nym4588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #30
coastermom
Proud Redhead
I am not crazy just like my job
This makes the decision much easier
ROLLERCOASTERS ARE MY LIFE

Just rented today from Davids for 11/7-11/11 at AKL Jambo house !! This was our final and last resort choice . We wanted BCV or BWV but could not even get waitlisted there ... Next was VWL but we did not want to take the chance of a waitlist so we jumped on AKL Jambo house ! I have stayed at Jambo house and loved it my sisters who I am traveling with only one has ever stayed deluxe ( with me at BC/YC ) I am super excited we did get the savanna view !

Davids has been super great so far with contacting me and making me feel better as this is the first time I have used their service ! So far I am happy with our choice !! We have saved about 1,000 by renting points !

coastermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: