Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

MA Class A license(gun)

So, I have completed my class and have filled out my application. Next step is to file and wait to meet with the chief. Any suggestions for my "meeting"??

Also where and what did you all do to determine what gun to buy. I'm a rather small guy 5'8" and 160lbs. My hands a slim, but have long fingers. I was looking for a 9mm probably looking at a M&P shield given all they hype. Any other suggestion, or on where to test a bunch of guns??

TIA!!

-Derek
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney

I know around here many of the ranges have gums you can rent and try out. Another option is to talk to a gun store and handle a few to get a feel and ask questions about grip and weight. Some guns have the option of custom grips to help gain a better hold.

Jousey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Urugami
DISdad #690

You can go to THIS LINK and do a search for places that offer rental/training in your state or area. If there's one close enough, put a box or two through some candidates and see how they fit you.
As to which one, that's a highly personal choice for any number of factors, but you asked for input
I'm partial to the Ruger brand, owning several of their products in almost as many categories. They work well and are almost impossible to break. Their LC9 or LCP models look to be comparable to the M&P Shield, and I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Hope this helps
DISdad #690

ME (Chris) DW DS(8)
76,82,83,86DL,92DL,93,95,96,01,01/02,01/03,06/03,01/09ASM,11/09CBR,11/10CBR,04/12CBR,02/13POR,03/14CBR

Last edited by Urugami; 12-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Urugami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

cool link.

thanks
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
brattosa
Mouseketeer

My Springfield XD Tactical 9 has a nice grip and is a fun fire, but a little large for CCW. The DW picked up an XD compact 40 just before Christmas and is looking forward to taking her CCW class with it. The M&P is a nice line with a good feel. If money is of no object, look at a Kimber (cha-CHING!) As others have mentioned, the key is to try before you buy. Worse feeling is dropping a few hundred on something you don't like and then having to try and resell it.
May '78-Offsite • June '95-Offsite • May '97-ASM & Contemporary (Honeymoon) • Nov '98-POFQ • June '99-ASM • May '02-ASM • May '05-Pop • May '08-Pop & Contemporary • June '10-SSR • Nov '12 SSR • May '14 SSR

DVC SSR Member
brattosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer

Another brand to consider for carry would be a Kahr. I like my p380. It's got a really nice trigger pull, and is a simple to operate firearm.
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise

Dis_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Federal Firearms Instructor.

If you haven't already go to a place that lets you try out the weapons first. I know a place in Mass if you need a place to go....

Consider how you plan to carry it....a heavy gun gets....well...really heavy whilst wearing it for long periods...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
DisneyFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousey View Post
I know around here many of the ranges have gums you can rent and try out. Another option is to talk to a gun store and handle a few to get a feel and ask questions about grip and weight. Some guns have the option of custom grips to help gain a better hold.
I know this isn't an active thread, but I think a combination of the above is your best bet. Start with a large retail center that has all the guns you "might" want, and then see which fit your hands the best. The NRA convention was perfect for this as I could wander from manufacturer booth to manufacturer booth checking out all the popular models (all disabled) for best feel. And that by itself elminated 90+% of the possibilities right there. Once you narrow it down to a few, you can rent those at the range to pick a favorite.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Tpr430
Earning My Ears

People ask me what I caliber I carry and why. I like a .45. If I carry off-duty then its for protection and not target practice. .45 will do the job. I wouldnt want to carry a 380 and make the bad guy mad. With that being said I want the most comfortable .45 that I can get. I opted for the Springfield XDS. You cant find a 45 any smaller. It is way comfortable. I will be getting a Glock 30s too.
Tpr430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpr430 View Post
People ask me what I caliber I carry and why. I like a .45. If I carry off-duty then its for protection and not target practice. .45 will do the job. I wouldnt want to carry a 380 and make the bad guy mad. With that being said I want the most comfortable .45 that I can get. I opted for the Springfield XDS. You cant find a 45 any smaller. It is way comfortable. I will be getting a Glock 30s too.

I've got my eye on an XDM 3.8 in .40. I really like the feel of it. The XDS is almost as good, but not quite - much better for CCW though. Thought I'd like the Walther PPS, but it doesn't fit nearly as well as the XDS. Don't care for Glocks at all, nor -gasp- 1911s.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
ponyboy
Gun slingin DW lover

I'm a firearm manufacturer/dealer and people are constantly asking, "What handgun should I get?". That is one question that I won't touch because handguns are a really personal thing. Something that is important to me might be less important to you and you're more concerned about something that I couldn't care less about.

I like Glocks. I like them because they're just about the most reliable gun on the planet and I know it's going to fire every time. It isn't the most comfortable gun to hold, they're sometimes harder to conceal, they aren't the smoothest operating gun, they aren't the prettiest thing out there but I don't care about any of that because I know it will go bang every single time and I can work around the rest of it. I know that with a Glock I'll be able to fight my way back to my rifle.

Other people hate them and they like a Sig or a S&W or Ruger, etc. So I don't try to push any kind of handgun on anybody and let them pick out their own. I can help guide someone based upon what they're looking for but ultimately the best gun for them is the one that they like that they're going to be comfortable shooting.

So you're doing the right thing by wanting to go shoot a bunch of guns or at least handle them because that's the only way you'll truly find what feels good to you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: