Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
JackieO
Mouseketeer

****HELP**** Kids club open houses

We are planning our first disney cruise in Jan. My 8 year old son WILL NOT want to stay in the kids clubs alone. I was told that they would have many open houses when we could all go in as a family. Now I'm not sure that is the case. Does anyone know for sure how often families can use the kids clubs together??? This could be reason to cancel the whole thing. I'm kind of freaking out!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
We are planning our first disney cruise in Jan. My 8 year old son WILL NOT want to stay in the kids clubs alone. I was told that they would have many open houses when we could all go in as a family. Now I'm not sure that is the case. Does anyone know for sure how often families can use the kids clubs together??? This could be reason to cancel the whole thing. I'm kind of freaking out!
There are Open Houses in either the Club or Lab daily. Open House is for families (regardless of ages) to use the facility together. Usually 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day. When one side has Open House, the other is Secured Programming.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
emtmom0104
DIS Veteran

I am thinking its at least once a day and maybe even twice a day. I have to pull out the old navigators to double check. My kids at first didn't want any parts of the clubs, by day 2 they didn't want any parts of us lol.

Disney Dream 5-19-2011 -3 night Bahamas,Disney Magic 4-25-2012 & 4-30-2012 -4&5 night Bahamas,Disney Wonder 2-7-13 & 2-11-13 -4 night Bahamas & 5 night western Caribbean ,Disney Fantasy 2-22-14 -7 night eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic 4-19-15 - 7 night western Caribbean
emtmom0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

Ha! I thought we were the only ones who had kids that didn't want to go to the kids' club! We tried it out on the first day for the open house. Daughter was 9 and son was 4. They thought it was okay but wanted to be up on the pool deck with us. Managed to drop them off for about an hour one day while hubby and I relaxed at the adult pool. We really didn't mind having them with us though. They both played in the Mickey pool (on the Magic last Dec) while we watched from the railing and drank from our 22oz beer mugs. Sailing on the Fantasy on Jan 19th and already told the kids that they *would* be spending at least 2 hours in the kids' club while we enjoy dinner at Remy. They seem okay with that.
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Every day you will receive your "Personal Navigator" it will list all the activities happening on the ship including what is happening in the kids clubs. Here is a link to show you old copies of the Personal Navigators:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...-navigator.htm

You will see the ones for the 3, 4 and 7 night cruises. Look at the activities for the kids clubs and you will get an idea of the number of open houses they have and the times. They are a little different every cruise but this should give you an idea.

There is plenty to do even if he never goes to the club. You will have a great time.

Just a suggestion if you son is shy and that is the reason he does not want to go to the club, would a friend help? You can go to the cruise meets on these boards and find your cruise and see if there are any kids his age and maybe arrange a few phone calls before the cruise and then meet up they day you board. Here is the link: ( it's located on the first page of these boards at the top, then the dates of the cruise are in the "sticky" at the tops of the meets page.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Find your cruise: For example Disney Fantasy January 19, 2013 - 7 Night Western Cruise click on that and you will see other Dis board members who will be on your cruise. Typically everyone meets up somewhere on the ship the fist day before the life boat drill.

Last edited by Weedy; 12-27-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
lodge
DIS Veteran

We THOUGHT ours wouldn't want to go to the clubs without us.... we were mistaken. The CM's are serious professionals in engaging children of all sorts. I was totally amazed!
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
WDW Enabler
Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE

it is a lot of fun

We have to make it a point before the cruise that dd 7 must leave the clb for family time in the evening. She is excited to stay in the club the night we have Oslo.

Proud father of 1 Disney FANATIC, and husband to an even bigger Disney FANATIC.
Proud Disney "Verteran of the day" three times, and owner of the flag flown over the Magic Kingdom on March 27th 2008.

Founding father of the "Hardhat Brigade", a growing group of enternal fun loving Disney fanatics who ...... wait the surprise is coming....... Wear lime-green hardhats with Mickey ears....

Applications now being accepted. Apply within
WDW Enabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

This has varied a lot over the past year.

There will be at least one open house per day, lasting 1-2 hours. If you look at Navigators from December, 2011, they had open houses 4-5 hours per day. This has been decreasing to the current 1-2 hours.

When DD was young, our rule was that she had to go to one activity in the programming each day (to give ME a break). An activity is 45-60 minutes. If she wanted to stay longer, fine....if not, no problem with that either.

Above post--Oslo? Maybe Palo???? Or do I not know about a cruise in the works?????
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Ok, thanks everyone! I feel a lot better. Seeing the Personal Navigator really helped and hearing that I'm not the only one with kids who are unsure about being without mom on vacation is nice too. I really can't understand why I would want to spend our family vacation apart anyway. Thanks again!!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Spurr002
Earning My Ears

Your son will have a great time, even if he doesn't think so now. On my first cruise I was 7 and in the OC, and I didn't want my parents to leave since I thought I wouldn't have fun. Little did I know that I wouldn't want leave! Brace yourself though, he'll probably be asking when you guys will sail again.
Spurr002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy
Every day you will receive your "Personal Navigator" it will list all the activities happening on the ship including what is happening in the kids clubs. Here is a link to show you old copies of the Personal Navigators:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...-navigator.htm

You will see the ones for the 3, 4 and 7 night cruises. Look at the activities for the kids clubs and you will get an idea of the number of open houses they have and the times. They are a little different every cruise but this should give you an idea.

There is plenty to do even if he never goes to the club. You will have a great time.

Just a suggestion if you son is shy and that is the reason he does not want to go to the club, would a friend help? You can go to the cruise meets on these boards and find your cruise and see if there are any kids his age and maybe arrange a few phone calls before the cruise and then meet up they day you board. Here is the link: ( it's located on the first page of these boards at the top, then the dates of the cruise are in the "sticky" at the tops of the meets page.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Find your cruise: For example Disney Fantasy January 19, 2013 - 7 Night Western Cruise click on that and you will see other Dis board members who will be on your cruise. Typically everyone meets up somewhere on the ship the fist day before the life boat drill.
Thank you for the link to the navigators. This was really helpful to see how the day(s) would be.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

Aside from the open houses at the club and lab there is also the D Lounge with family activities going on all day!
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: