Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

Best Mod?

Hi! So we are having to upgrade from AoA in order to get a Visa discount. I'm wondering what your opinion would be on the best mod? There are three of us going: me, my sister, and DS (6). We are most interested in the food court (picky eaters), transportation, pools (for DS), and walking distance. We were hoping not to be in too big of a resort, but I'm worried POFQ might seem crowded since there is only one pool and one bus stop. I know everyone has differing opinions, but which mod do you like best and why? Thanks!

vicky33006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

POFQ should not be a problem - POFQ is the first stop then it goes to POR.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
vicky33006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
POFQ should not be a problem - POFQ is the first stop then it goes to POR.
Thanks. I am actually hearing that POFQ might not be offering the same discount though. I heard this from someone else, so I have to confirm it...but I'm looking at the other mods just in case.

vicky33006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at CBR, POFQ, and POR. I haven't stayed at CSR yet, but it looks nice (except I'm not a fan of the one-sink thing).

I like CBR, but it hasn't been refurbished as recently as POFQ and POR. It also has double beds instead of queen-sized beds. I've heard that the rooms at CBR are slightly larger than the other mods, but am not sure. I think CBR has a better feature pool than POFQ and POR.

It's been a while since I stayed at POFQ and I was teenager at the time, but I didn't like it as much as CBR, mostly because of the theme. The size is great, though.

Just got back from POR and liked it a lot! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the moderate resorts. Go where you can get a discount, and pick the resort with the theme that appeals to you
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've stayed at all 4.

My rankings:
POFQ - love the compact size
CBR - love the tropical theme
POR - ok, too big
CSR - didn't care for the theme or food court
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

I agree with the op. French quarter is the way I would go especially if looking for a "small" resort. I would stay there everytime if we could afford it.

CSR feels huge to me. CBR is huge because you have to get on a bus just to get to the food court. Not a fan of that but I did enjoy it otherwise. POR is nice but I much prefer POFQ.
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Sue M
DIS Veteran

POR. I wrote about it in your last post. Love this resort, and having the option of both main pool or quiet pool.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 Poly
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Hoosier Mom
DIS Veteran

We loved CSR on our last trip....but I would only return if we could pay for a preferred location and stay in Casitas again. Loved Casitas. It was close to the food.

Regarding the food, the Pepper Market is a buffet at breakfast and lunch. It counts as a counter service if you are on the dining plan. My very picky son loved it. We had all we could eat and there was lots to pick from for our picky son. I know he had some eggs, yogurt, fruit, mickey waffles. I think the breakfast is every bit as good and varied as Crystal Palace breakfast.

Regarding the pools, our son loved it! My husband said the pool was nice and warm (we thought Wilderness Lodge pool was too cold). Our son liked the games they played in the afternoon. I think he won a prize for doing the macarena dance. Also they went to the evening movie.

The buses only serve CSR and there's only 4 stops. Another thing we loved about CSR is we got a rollaway bed for our son. So we each had a bed. (There's 3 of us).

We've also stayed at CBR. It was larger than CSR. And we made the mistake of being on the second floor (no elevators). We were so tired to drag our bods up the stairs after being in the parks all day. If we return here, we would also pay extra for a preferred location, and request a ground floor room.

There are pictures in our trip reports below. They are mostly only pictures, not long reports.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Mom View Post
We loved CSR on our last trip....but I would only return if we could pay for a preferred location and stay in Casitas again. Loved Casitas. It was close to the food.

Regarding the food, the Pepper Market is a buffet at breakfast and lunch. It counts as a counter service if you are on the dining plan. My very picky son loved it. We had all we could eat and there was lots to pick from for our picky son. I know he had some eggs, yogurt, fruit, mickey waffles. I think the breakfast is every bit as good and varied as Crystal Palace breakfast.

Regarding the pools, our son loved it! My husband said the pool was nice and warm (we thought Wilderness Lodge pool was too cold). Our son liked the games they played in the afternoon. I think he won a prize for doing the macarena dance. Also they went to the evening movie.

The buses only serve CSR and there's only 4 stops. Another thing we loved about CSR is we got a rollaway bed for our son. So we each had a bed. (There's 3 of us).

We've also stayed at CBR. It was larger than CSR. And we made the mistake of being on the second floor (no elevators). We were so tired to drag our bods up the stairs after being in the parks all day. If we return here, we would also pay extra for a preferred location, and request a ground floor room.

There are pictures in our trip reports below. They are mostly only pictures, not long reports.
this is an excellent review of CSR!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
joshiesdad
Mouseketeer

We loved POFQ. It was small and it was quiet. it never seemed crowded. the food options were good. You also have the use of the food court ar Riverside . The walk between the two is short and scenic. The bus service was great. Even when you shared with Riverside you were always first to be picked up. The boat ride to downtown is a nice bonus. The pool at POFQ is nice for adults and kids and again you can go to Riverside's pools too. You get the benefits of both resorts without having to be so spread out. it is our go to place for sure.
joshiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

We've only stayed at POFQ out of all the mods, but I researched it a lot and here is what I found...

POFQ is the way to go if you want small. There is more than one pool, plus you can use POR pool as well.

That being said, I think the CBR is a better theme, and if you can afford the preferred room rate (I think it's only $10 more per night, but I haven't checked that recently, not 100% sure) and pick a building close to the food court, you might enjoy that just as much if not more...seems like you are trying to be talked into POFQ but aren't really wanting to go there. I could be wrong thinking that, but that's how I felt about POFQ because DH wanted to try it more than I did. It was a nice resort...

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
tink2
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at POFQ and POR- we love POFQ!!! It is small/compact- this is wonderful for tired legs at the end of the day- esp with a 6 yr old. None of the buildings are a long walk to the food court/bus stop- we still request close to it though and usually get building 4 (I believe)- literally right at everything. This is very important to us! The food court is good- good variety. We don't use the pools- but my kids like to walk around some and love the jazz crocodiles by the pool there- so we see the pool a lot and I have never seen it 'crowded'- but we don't go during summer either. We loved the theming of POR as well- the mansion side is beautiful. But even with one of the closest buildings to the main building/bus stops- the walk was much longer than at POFQ.
as far as the discount goes- we've used discounts at POFQ many times. Good luck! If you can't get POFQ- I'd go with POR.

Me , Dh , DD14 ; DS12
Hilton summer 1987 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving week 1999 ~ Riverside Thanksgiving 2001 ~ AKL Thanksgiving 2003 ~ POFQ Dec. 5-11 2004 ~ POFQ Jan. 26- Feb. 2 2008 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving Week 2009~ POFQ Christmas week 2011 (Dec 25- 31)
tink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
tink2
DIS Veteran

ok- I am seeing where POFQ is apparently not included in the discount you are trying to use. First, I'd call to make sure. If not, I'd go with POR. It is beautiful! Be sure to request a room close to the main building/bus stop and you will be fine! The mansion side is beautiful!!! Not me, but my brother and his family stayed at CSR years ago- they hated it! They said it was even bigger and more spread out than POR. Now, I think they've added more bus stops since then, so maybe it is better. But still, getting to the food court may be a longer walk- if you're considering CSR- might want to look into that. Again, it wasn't me staying and it was years ago- so idk. But I don't think of the other moderates, you can go wrong with POR. It is beautiful, the food court is great, and there are 2 pools. Plus, you can use POFQ food court/pool if you wish. Good luck! and if you really want to stay at POFQ instead, get this reservation and then watch for codes/discounts that may come out later for POFQ

Me , Dh , DD14 ; DS12
Hilton summer 1987 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving week 1999 ~ Riverside Thanksgiving 2001 ~ AKL Thanksgiving 2003 ~ POFQ Dec. 5-11 2004 ~ POFQ Jan. 26- Feb. 2 2008 ~ POFQ Thanksgiving Week 2009~ POFQ Christmas week 2011 (Dec 25- 31)
tink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Hunnypaw
Encinitas, CA

POR

DIS Dad Club Member #623
Me , DW , DD
________
Nikon D200 | Nikkor 80-200 | Sigma 15mm f-eye
Hunnypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Out of the mods, we've only stayed at CBR and we loved everything about it. We thought the food court was great and the bus service was excellent. I also think your DS would love the pirate themed pool .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011

Last edited by mickeynut1; 12-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: