Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

First time cruise ?

Hello. I am sorry if these are silly questions, but I am new to cruising and I can't seem to find the answers anywhere. Would you mind helping me out?

1) I know you can not wear shorts to the sit down dinners for dinner, and I plan on wearing nice dresses to those, however, are you allowed to wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the sit down restaurants? Like Parrot Cay? Lumiere's? etc.

2) When the boat docks at the port are you allowed to come and go as you please? Or is it once you are off you have to wait until a certain time to come back on board?

Thank you so much for your help with these questions!!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
TGaines107
Mouseketeer

1) Yes (There were even folks who wore shorts to dinner)
2) Yes, come and go as you please. We did several times at Castaway Cay
3) Have fun! They make it easy for you!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Hello. I am sorry if these are silly questions, but I am new to cruising and I can't seem to find the answers anywhere. Would you mind helping me out?

1) I know you can not wear shorts to the sit down dinners for dinner, and I plan on wearing nice dresses to those, however, are you allowed to wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the sit down restaurants? Like Parrot Cay? Lumiere's? etc.

2) When the boat docks at the port are you allowed to come and go as you please? Or is it once you are off you have to wait until a certain time to come back on board?

Thank you so much for your help with these questions!!
To answer your questions yes. Shorts are fine for lunch and dinner. There is also onboard buffett that you can go to also is you dont want to go to the mdr for lunch or breakfast.

2. You can come and go as you please. As long as the ship has cleared Customs, you can leave as soon as they open the gangway and stay off the ship until 30 minutes before she sails again.( This is called the Onboard time.It can and will vary from port to port. Make sure you double check the Onboard time BEFORE you leave the ship and that your watch is the SAME TIME as the ships time.) Or you can get on and off as many times as you want. Just make sure that you carry the required ids to get back onto the pier or the ship. KTTW and a passport of photo id are usually the minumum for security reasons.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Take a sundress that can double as a swim suit coverup. Then you can go from the pool to lunch without changing or straight to the pool after breakfast. DH wears a t-shirt with his swim trunks for lunch, we either eat at the buffet or next to the pool. If I had little ones I would do the same, t-shirt for a boy and a sundress for a girl to go over the swimsuits.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much!!! This has been so helpful.

Are little boys ok to wear shorts to dinner then as well? I was reading my passporter book about the dress code and it said no shorts so I wasn't sure if my boys would be ok with a button down shirt and shorts or if I should pack them a few pairs of khakis? Thank you again!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

And to me, the most important tip, STUDY your Navigator (the daily on board newsletter listing activities) the minute you get on board, and every night before you go to bed so you don't miss something.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Are little boys ok to wear shorts to dinner then as well? I was reading my passporter book about the dress code and it said no shorts so I wasn't sure if my boys would be ok with a button down shirt and shorts or if I should pack them a few pairs of khakis? Thank you again!!!
The suggested dress code for the MDRs is "no shorts, tank tops, or swimsuits for dinner". No specification on ages that it may or may not apply to.

Yes, there are those who wear shorts to dinner anyway. It's your call.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:

I would go with the khakis for the simple reason depending on what time of the year you travel, it can get chilly in the mdrs.

Now, do some people wear shorts (adults) to the mdrs, yes. But its not recomended/goes against the policy in place.(If you have a medical reason why you have to wear shorts its a different story.) Each of the 4 ships has a slightly different take on the dress code. In reality, how hard is it to follow a policy(not directed at you, but at the people that cant seem to follow directions) for a few days?
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
I would go with the khakis for the simple reason depending on what time of the year you travel, it can get chilly in the mdrs.

Now, do some people wear shorts (adults) to the mdrs, yes. But its not recomended/goes against the policy in place.(If you have a medical reason why you have to wear shorts its a different story.) Each of the 4 ships has a slightly different take on the dress code. In reality, how hard is it to follow a policy(not directed at you, but at the people that cant seem to follow directions) for a few days?

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Ok. Great. I will pack the boys pants then. And I guess I will plan to pack mostly skirts for the afternoons and dresses for dinner for me and the girls then. Thank you again!

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok. Great. I will pack the boys pants then. And I guess I will plan to pack mostly skirts for the afternoons and dresses for dinner for me and the girls then. Thank you again!
I will point out that dresses are not required for the MDRs. The dress code is cruise casual.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I will point out that dresses are not required for the MDRs. The dress code is cruise casual.

Agreed! I (and many others) wore nice capris to the MDR each evening except for the semi-formal night when I wore a dress. I packed mix-n-match outfits so I didn't actually bring too many clothes that would be worn for only a couple of hours each day. My DD wore dresses each night.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
loran424
Earning My Ears

My boys each took 2 pairs of pants for a 4 day cruise. 1 khaki, 1 nice jeans. They only wore them for a couple of hours at dinner; a spray of febreeze & back on the hanger & the boys were back in swimsuits. They did wear button down shirts & nice polo shirts with the exception of pirate night, of course.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch.

You can come and go from the ship when in port. Whatever fits your desires/schedule is fine with DCL.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: