Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
babyflo1
Earning My Ears

Anyone want to give me their 5 cents on Kidani or Jambo decision?

Our family of 3 adults and two older children has a current reservation for Old Key West next October and I am seriously thinking of switching to AKL but which do I choose if we get the one bedroom villa? Kidani with more space?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

I'd definitely go with Kidani - a 1BR there has 2 full bathrooms, Jambo 1BR only has 1.

If you do end up at Jambo be sure you're not in a value 1Br - they do not have the additional sleeper chair, so you'd be short a bed. A 1BR value at Jambo only sleeps 4, the regular 1BR at Jambo & Kidani sleep 5 with the extra sleeper chair.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

Kidani is larger and I think you get an extra bathroom. We LOVED Kidani when we stayed there. It's definitely less hectic there.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (March)
2012 BLT (November), 2013 BWV
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We stayed in Kidani this past May and liked it very much. The resort was nice, loved the pool, and good bus service. We spent one afternoon hanging out at Jambo to use their pool and try their counter service, but I still preferred Kidani to stay at.

I had ordered some snacks from Garden Grocer and used the refillable mug at the gift shop (our room wasn't too far) and it was fine without the counter service. One night we got dinner at the lounge (appetizers from Sanaa).

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
bcrook
DIS Veteran

For all the reasons listed above...Kidani! You will love the extra bathroom. Plus, Kidani has Okapis!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
raven69david
I am a Superuser. Got a problem with that?!

We've done both and prefer Jambo house. It feels more like "home" to us. We saw Kidani being built and it's like building a new house a few feet away. Even though you move into a brand new house, the memories remain with the old house as it's become a part of the family. That's how we feel about Jambo house. The lobby experience at Kidani is so much different than the grandeur of the Jambo house lobby.
1997-2003: Off-site, 2004: DD born ; missed this year, 2005: SoG for MVMCP, 2006: AKLSV for Magical Beginnings, 2007: ASMo/AKLSV for MVMCP, 2008: CSR for Surprise Trip in August, 2008: AKLSV/CR/POP for MVMCP, December 2008May 2009: Pop/AKLSV, August 2009: POFQ/WL-CL, December 2009: AKLSV for MVMCP Too many since then to list and WAYYY tttoooooooo many more to go.............
raven69david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Tikihula
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Kidani due to slightly larger rooms, 2 bathrooms in the 1-BR, the lanterns on the exterior front wall that welcome you home at night, it's where the park buses stop FIRST so you're assured of getting a seat, and the lobby is more intimate and welcoming. I think the savanna at Jambo is a little more worn and not quite as grassy.

However, I wouldn't turn down a chance to stay to Jambo, either.
Tikihula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
cvjw
DIS Veteran

My family of 4 couldn't wait to be out of the JH 1 bedroom - it was way too small for us. The way the bathroom is set up is a deal breaker for our family. Kidani Village on the other hand, is one of our favorite DVC resorts. Our family can stay comfortably at KV in a 1 bedroom villa, and the extra bathroom makes getting ready in the mornings a breeze.

We will stay at JH again, but only in a 2 bedroom for the 4 of us.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Most people will suggest Kidani for a 1bdrm because of the extra bathroom and the space. We have only stayed in a Studio at AKL. I chose Jambo to be in the main building and really preferred that location. I would sacrifice the location for the space if we were renting a one bedroom though. Kidani location isn't bad, it just isn't ideal for us.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Ask me again in March. I've stayed in a 1BR at Kidani twice, and have a 1BR at Jambo booked for March. In the 1BR at Kidani each time we had 4 adults (girls trip) and never felt cramped for space. We even joked that we could have added a few more friends on the trip! For that trip having 4 adult ladies, the 2 bathrooms was a must. For March it's the family. I chose Jambo over Kidani just for the location alone. I think with the kids along they'd enjoy the main lobby & all the activities at Jambo. They've stayed at Jambo before & love it. Plus, we eat at Boma several times a trip, so that will be more convenient staying at Jambo. So I'm sacrificing the extra space & extra bathroom for location. Sharing 1 bathroom isn't an issue, they're boys & are literally in & out of showers in 2-3 mintues.

If I absolutely had to choose one, I'd pick Kidani. It's soooo serene there, and I look forward to that after a long day in the parks. But I'd stay at either in a heartbeat. AKL is my favorite resort & I've stayed at most of them!

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcw23 View Post
Kidani is larger and I think you get an extra bathroom. We LOVED Kidani when we stayed there. It's definitely less hectic there.
Exactly the extra space and extra bathroom make a world of difference!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
stormer
DIS Veteran

The lobby in Jambo is definately beautiful, but I think for your group the extra space and the extra bathroom would be much more important. Think of the time the extra time you will save getting ready having two bathrooms. I would go for that. It is easy enough to walk over to Jambo to see the lobby or grab dinner.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
The lobby in Jambo is definately beautiful, but I think for your group the extra space and the extra bathroom would be much more important. Think of the time the extra time you will save getting ready having two bathrooms. I would go for that. It is easy enough to walk over to Jambo to see the lobby or grab dinner.
Good point. Especially if you request a room on the wing next to Jambo House ( south wing?). The shuttle runs back and forth also. And if you are at Kidani, all the park buses pick up at Kidani first and stop at Jambo second, so you could ride that way. Dtd buses go the opposite direction.

The sidewalk trail isn't very long.

But as people on other threads have shared over and over again. The walk from the north wing of Kidani to anywhere is a looong walk! . I request to stay on the north end because it is more peaceful and the okapis, but it is a hike!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If, when you say two older children, you mean teenagers, I'd go with a two bedroom villa instead of the one bedroom villa. The space will be better and you'll have more real beds. Then you could do either JH or KV.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Split vote Kidani because of bigger room and water area, but for our family the ambiance goes to Jambo hands down. We always were just in aww walking into the main lobby, Kidani was just ok.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: