Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post

. . . I'm on the fence between Princess and HAL.
I don't think you could go wrong with either Princess or HAL for an Alaska cruise. They are my top choices.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
lodge
DIS Veteran

I wonder what is the best time of year to experience Alaska? DCL itineraries limit the choice, but it sounds like the other lines give options.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodge View Post
I wonder what is the best time of year to experience Alaska? DCL itineraries limit the choice, but it sounds like the other lines give options.
The Alaska season generally runs from May-September. On any cruiseline.

We've been in September and May/June. Both great choices. Next time we're going in July (in spite of there probably being more people). Each month is really it's own season, so different things to see/experience.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

"I wonder what is the best time of year to experience Alaska? DCL itineraries limit the choice, but it sounds like the other lines give options."

Weather-wise we really lucked out with our cruise the week of August 27th this year. Every port had sunny, warm weather. We were walking around the ports in sunglasses and t-shirts!

I also think later in the season you have a chance of getting closer to the glacier since the ice has melted in the channels. The captain said we supposedly got closer to the glacier than any other DCL cruise the entire season. It was a beautiful, sunny day.

I know we were very lucky, but I would cruise again in late August/early September to Alaska for sure.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
This helpful......I'd like to cruise to Alaska again. But with DCL prices and them now leaving out of Vancouver instead of Seattle, I am looking for other options. I'm on the fence between Princess and HAL.
We cruised Alaska in June on HAL, but looked at Disney first, knowing the rates would be higher. What was the deal killer was Disney goes Monday to Monday instead of Saturday-Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. I would have to burn up an additonal vacation day to make Monday to Monday work, and they prefer we take our vacation in week chunks, not days. We had done Alaska on HAL 10 years before, that time on the Amsterdam, this time on the Westerdam.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
I don't think you could go wrong with either Princess or HAL for an Alaska cruise. They are my top choices.

Woody
I agree!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
dizneygirl123
Mouseketeer

Thanks for everyone's great advice / suggestions. This was so much more information than my travel agent provided.
I will look more at the land/ tours.
dizneygirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Can't agree more with both postings. Princess owns Alaska. If you are going all the way to Alaska, don't miss doing the land portion. I always think of Alaska as just up north from us in San Francisco, but in fact it is over 2,000 miles, the flight from SFO to Anchorage is 5 hours, 11 hours from the east coast. After coming (and paying) all that way, don't miss seeing Alaska. You will see more animals in Denali park in one hour then you will see the entire cruise. The port towns on the cruise are lovely, but small and filled with tee-shirt shops. Although the cruise is beautiful, you won't see Alaska. Princess has their own train and lodges. Both the Denali and Mount McKinley lodges are beautiful.
Princess is great, not Disney, but great.
We agree with Val and Bob!! We were on the Inaugural 2011 Disney cruise and loved every minute!! We are going with the Wonder again May 2013 because we love the Disney touch. However, as Bob says, Princess pioneered ALASKA and that would be an excellent choice!! Aloha, Karen and Ron
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
This helpful......I'd like to cruise to Alaska again. But with DCL prices and them now leaving out of Vancouver instead of Seattle, I am looking for other options. I'm on the fence between Princess and HAL.
I agree that you'd do fine with either Princess or Hal. Especially if you're looking to add a land portion before or after the cruise (I recommend before). Both HAL and Princess have their own domed railroad cars for when you travel on the Alaska railroad, and Princess has their own lodges, also, which are beautiful places in fabulous locations.

This sunset photo of Mt Denali (McKinley) was taken from the deck at Princess's Mt McKinley lodge. (Of course, sunset was at 11:15pm... )

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 12-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

oh. my.

2014 hopefully.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: