Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #106
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I know lots of companies do it. I am sure Disney does it, but I love Disney. I don't love Walmart. Lots of companies aren't for people that are raising families or supporting families. But not all of these companies are filled with crap like Walmart . I bet Costco isn't made for that either, but it is considered a very good place to work. Walmart is crap, plain and simple. If they paid their workers top dollar and you could support a family of 6 on what a sales assoc made and changed nothing else, I wouldn't shop there.

People at Disney seem friendly and helpful, at my Walmart, they look like they would be just as happy to shoot you as to help you. NOt all but most employees have this look, and I can only assume that it is because Walmart treats them like crap. I have no desire to shop at a place that is filled with sub par quality items and employees that are ruder than anything I have ever seen and wait in lines that are 15 people deep and have them refuse to open more lines. Just not worth my time. YMMV.
Our last few trips to Disney we have run into more and more unfriendly CM's. Esp. the wait staff. They seem to be the rudest in our experience. Also the quality of items in this country has gone down everywhere not just at Walmart. Many of the items sold at Walmart are also sold at upper end stores just for a higher price and with a different name attached. Clothes/shoes esp. are made in the same factory at the same exact time. They just put a different tag on it depending on what store it is going to. Depending on the store it is going to decides the price. The same shirt at Walmart might be 5-10.00 but at JcPenney or Old Navy it will sell for much much more. Not because it is any better quality but because it has a different name attached. People get it in their heads that one name is better quality than another when really they are identical other than the label placed on them. It is the same with most food items. The generics are made by the brand names. Example: Stroehmann bread makes Walmart's Great Value Bread. It is made at the same exact time just put in a different bag. I know this because we had a friend that worked there.
__________________
ME rincess: DH DS DD:

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!




Last edited by Halbleib1; 01-02-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #107
kokomos
Mouseketeer
 
kokomos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: pearl, ms
Posts: 390

Maybe I missed it but were you able to return the IPad?
kokomos is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #108
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
It is everywhere not just in retail that people can not get insurance. More and more places do not offer insurance and if they do it is not affordable. My husband has worked through temp. agencies for most of his career and has not been offered insurance through most of them. The one's that did it was not affordable nor did it cover very much. Also some offered it but you had to work for a certain period of time with not even a day of unemployment. Hard to do when you are working temp. and your contract ends before the time is up and you have time off between jobs. Unfortunately more and more companies are using these agencies for various reasons.
Yes, but the owners of those places don't have more wealth than the bottom 40% of the American public combined. That's what chaps me the most. The SIX WalWart heirs are worth a whopping 89.5 Billion (with a "B") but they can't pay their people a living wage.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #109
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,923

FTR, I have never had an issue returning something to Target without a receipt. They look up the sale using my credit card and refund the money to the card. I even returned an iPad case I bought at home to a Florida location and they calculated the tax correctly!
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #110
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,377

In its not just Walmart worth billions, companies all over the US are worth billions and they still don't provide insurance, guarenteed work hours, or enough pay to cover the rent. This country is full of "teenager" jobs, but are fulfilled by an adult probably with a family. Hate on all the national chains, not just Walmart.

The main reason why every one at Disney is so perky, it's not because they happy but because they're forced to. It's a repimandable offence to not smile. I had a manager complain I wasn't smiling when I was on break. I told him "it's my time and I want to be miserable down here. That doesn't mean i'm not smiling up there" (I was in the tunnel at MK). And The Walt Disney company is worth billions as well, and very few execs get paid a living wage. 99% of those you meet in the parks are not earning a decent wage. Including managers.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #111
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
There's no such thing as underpaid. Clearly, people accept the pay that WM gives them (which is arguably overpaid because the government idioticly believes minimum wage helps people) and do their job. So sad that people like you think you know better.

And, yes, Disney is known for also paying its workers very little, and many are on food stamps and/or other forms of government welfare. One family that works at Disneyland was featured in an HBO documentary film called "Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County."

So now that you know that Disney employees "suffer" just like those at Wal Mart, I assume you won't be giving any of your money to Disney now, right?

Oh, wait, I forget, only hating on Wal Mart is cool among the snobs. Never mind it provides jobs to millions of Americans and affordable access to consumer goods, grocery and pharmacy items to rural America that it would never otherwise have.

Wow, I am so glad I am a "snob" per you. Sorry but you don't know me and I am not a snob. Walmart undercuts many mom and pop stores as well as other stores and does so by not paying their employees or giving their employees the benefits like healthcare. I choose to shop elsewhere because I hate Walmart for various reasons and their employees do not seem happy. I also do not find that many Walmart products have a very good quality and I can find a better quality item elsewhere for relatively the same cost. There are also a different caliber of shoppers at my Target than at Walmart.


As for Disney, I only go when I can afford it and get the military tickets/rates. Sorry but just as everywhere else there will be some that are underpaid and yes there is such a thing as underpaid.

Last edited by Leajess99; 01-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #112
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
FTR, I have never had an issue returning something to Target without a receipt. They look up the sale using my credit card and refund the money to the card. I even returned an iPad case I bought at home to a Florida location and they calculated the tax correctly!
I only once had an issue but the customer service manager took the time to help me and got the refund done as the item was not coming up with my card. It turned out to be a glitch in the electronics computer but I had the copy of the tranasction from the credit card company (receipt went missing and Ipod touch did not work upon opening). It all worked out great and I was just trying to exchange the problem item.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #113
fun4me
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 187

My recent Experience at Walmart and why I won't shop there again

We were trying to exchange an electric scooter my son received for Christmas. It didn't work and we just wanted one that did. My sister bought it on sale on black friday so I didn't want a refund, I wanted the same thing in an exchange.

I had the receipt my sister gave me. We checked online and it said they had it in stock at the store we were going too. They also had it available online. When we got there they couldn't find the 7 that it said they had in stock. None of the other stores had one either. In the end we got the next one up for an even exchange. I wasn't expecting that and had expected to pay the difference.

Now why I won't shop there again. Right before Christmas we were there shopping and when we swiped our card their system went bonkers, locked up. Come to find out they took double out of our account. That was a pain to get resolved. Two trips to my bank and two to that walmart. Being told it was our fault.... insufficient funds, hold on my card, bank's fault, the company that is the go between with Walmart and the bank. Everyones fault but Walmart. It took 10 days to get my money back and a bunch of hoopla. In the end they gave us a $10 walmart gift card for our inconvenience. I will never swipe my card there again.
fun4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #114
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 1,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Yes, but the owners of those places don't have more wealth than the bottom 40% of the American public combined. That's what chaps me the most. The SIX WalWart heirs are worth a whopping 89.5 Billion (with a "B") but they can't pay their people a living wage.
Maybe not but some of the corporations using them do. They could hire people direct but most of the time the reason they do not is for cost savings. It is not the only reason but it is one of the big ones.

Their are many places out there just as bad and probably even worst than Walmart. Walmart comes under attack because they are an easy target for people.



Those of you saying that Target has better people shopping their stores are just ignorant. Many shop at both. Just because celebs like Target so much does not make the people that shop there any better. That is a very snobish attitude.
__________________
ME rincess: DH DS DD:

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!




Last edited by Halbleib1; 01-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #115
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1

Maybe not but some of the corporations using them do. They could hire people direct but most of the time the reason they do not is for cost savings. It is not the only reason but it is one of the big ones.

Their are many places out there just as bad and probably even worst than Walmart. Walmart comes under attack because they are an easy target for people.

Those of you saying that Target has better people shopping their stores are just ignorant. Many shop at both. Just because celebs like Target so much does not make the people that shop there any better. That is a very snobish attitude.
Who said that? You're just making things up to try to prove your point.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #116
familyoffive
DIS Veteran
 
familyoffive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 3,326

If the workers are being taken advantage of, why is there no shortage of workers to fill the jobs? The Orlando theme park industry thrives on foreign contract labor and yet millions continue to spend money at these theme parks. Very confusing how you can slam Walmart for doing the exact same thing that other retailers and entertainment businesses do . The funny thing about Target is that they undercut a market, eliminate competition and then raise prices. We are currently in the Mid-West and the Targets near us are old, small and dirty, compared to the Target Greatland stores that we had in California. Add to it that the Walmarts are clean and newer, it is all relative to where you live. As for Costco, after what they did in the last election, we won't spend another penny with them. For the best employee retention rates in retail, look at Trader Joe's.
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #117
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
Maybe not but some of the corporations using them do. They could hire people direct but most of the time the reason they do not is for cost savings. It is not the only reason but it is one of the big ones.

Their are many places out there just as bad and probably even worst than Walmart. Walmart comes under attack because they are an easy target for people.



Those of you saying that Target has better people shopping their stores are just ignorant. Many shop at both. Just because celebs like Target so much does not make the people that shop there any better. That is a very snobish attitude.
I'm sorry but I am NOT ignorant and you have just proven to be the rude one. I posted that at MY Target there are a different caliber of shoppers. Since you are NOT in the same town as I am I guess you have no clue what type of people shop at my target and my walmart (my = the ones in the city I live in). I have yet to see anyone in the Target here dressed as inappropriately as I have in the Walmart here. Sorry if that is snobbish but my children do not need to see butts and breasts hanging out like have been seen at the Walmart here.

ETA: I have also yet to read about meth being made in the bathrooms at Target, people exposing themselves to others at Target, as well as various other inappropriate activities that have happened at Walmart. I even searched for both and guess what?? No stories about Target shoppers like the many on walmart. One Meth lab was even found at one of our local Walmarts.

Last edited by Leajess99; 01-02-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #118
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
If the workers are being taken advantage of, why is there no shortage of workers to fill the jobs? The Orlando theme park industry thrives on foreign contract labor and yet millions continue to spend money at these theme parks. Very confusing how you can slam Walmart for doing the exact same thing that other retailers and entertainment businesses do . The funny thing about Target is that they undercut a market, eliminate competition and then raise prices. We are currently in the Mid-West and the Targets near us are old, small and dirty, compared to the Target Greatland stores that we had in California. Add to it that the Walmarts are clean and newer, it is all relative to where you live. As for Costco, after what they did in the last election, we won't spend another penny with them. For the best employee retention rates in retail, look at Trader Joe's.
Funny cause more grocery stores and mom and pops go out because of Walmart and NOT Target. Next you will say tht Target is bad because they don't support the troops, etc.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #119
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer
 
Indy Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: AndrewLuckland
Posts: 297

As a former vendor for Millstone Coffee/Folgers I can tell you I will never buy groceries from a Walmart!!

The backrooms/receiving areas were totally filthy, fresh or frozen food sitting out for hours, total apathy from the miserable workers.

This was in every Walmart I serviced, and I did several. One even had to bring in new gondolas ( shelving units ) to replace some because they were infested with mice and roaches. This was a newer store too.

On the other hand the Krogers and the Marsh's I took care of were spotless, organized, and the workers were happy and helpful.

I just think it had to do with a lack of caring on the part of the Walmart employees. The management were worked like dogs, the hourlies were treated like crap from the tired managers, and all the while profits for the Walton family went through the roof.

I will admit that things could have changed at those Walmart stores but I still will never support/shop there due to their business practises.
__________________
Indy Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #120
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Oh, wait, I forget, only hating on Wal Mart is cool among the snobs. Never mind it provides jobs to millions of Americans and affordable access to consumer goods, grocery and pharmacy items to rural America that it would never otherwise have.
Wait. So, aside from the way they systematically put local stores - and small manufacturers btw - out of business, you're suggesting that before Walmart, rural America didn't have access to consumer goods, grocery and pharmacy items?

Where there are people, there are stores to service them. Such has been the case in rural America since people loaded up wagons and headed west.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.