Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #91
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive

Interesting that you chose figures provided by an employee union, UFCW. The unions are hard pressed trying to get money out of Walmart employee paychecks, why is that? Is HEB union? My son doesn't need the insurance.
Your son might not need the insurance, but many of his coworkers do. Which makes a WalMart job a poor one for many people. I know that in WI our state health care system was full of people who worked 'almost full time' at WalMart so WI taxpayers had to pay for their family's medical I durance instead if one of the biggest corporations in the world.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #92
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-goldberg.html

Just one of the more recent stories that encourages me to avoid supporting Wal Mart. They could easily value their employees more but they choose not to.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #93
Minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
what happened after you went back again... we avoid that store at all costs. Target is so much cleaner, better selection and easier to deal with all around.
Target was awful to my mother this weekend on a very simple price adjustment that was clearly within their policy As we waited for a manager there were five other people that also had problems. I've always preferred the less hectic Target to Walmart but after this
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #94
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
Are you aware how many Disney employees receive food stamps? The Walt Disney Corporation isn't exactly know for high pay and benefits.
Nope, I don't know any Disney Employees on foodstamps but please feel free to keep justifying Walmart's actins to seriously underpay their employees.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #95
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
Are you saying that only Walmart employees are underpaid/undercompensated?
Nope especially when our Soldiers and Veterans are underpaid/undercompensated but when Walmart admits to not giving employees the hours needed to get benefits because the "government" can provide for them is sad.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #96
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
Nope especially when our Soldiers and Veterans are underpaid/undercompensated but when Walmart admits to not giving employees the hours needed to get benefits because the "government" can provide for them is sad.
Wow, seriously? That is it, I will NEVER set foot in a Walmart again. I don't very often, but I will make it a point to never give them one penny of my money.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #97
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
Nope, I don't know any Disney Employees on foodstamps but please feel free to keep justifying Walmart's actins to seriously underpay their employees.
There's no such thing as underpaid. Clearly, people accept the pay that WM gives them (which is arguably overpaid because the government idioticly believes minimum wage helps people) and do their job. So sad that people like you think you know better.

And, yes, Disney is known for also paying its workers very little, and many are on food stamps and/or other forms of government welfare. One family that works at Disneyland was featured in an HBO documentary film called "Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County."

So now that you know that Disney employees "suffer" just like those at Wal Mart, I assume you won't be giving any of your money to Disney now, right?

Oh, wait, I forget, only hating on Wal Mart is cool among the snobs. Never mind it provides jobs to millions of Americans and affordable access to consumer goods, grocery and pharmacy items to rural America that it would never otherwise have.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #98
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Hating Walmart isn't cool just among the snobs, I know plenty of working class people that can't stand it. Go ahead and tell yourself that if it makes you feel better. Ihave relatives in "rural america" and they won't set foot in a a Walmart, they go elsewhere.

I see that people in CA love to defend Walmart, is this a trend? I don't know, but seems odd to me.

Last edited by mhsjax; 01-01-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #99
MAH4546
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Hating Walmart isn't cool just among the snobs, I know plenty of working class people that can't stand it. Go ahead and tell yourself that if it makes you feel better. Ihave relatives in "rural america" and they won't set foot in a a Walmart, they go elsewhere.

I see that people in CA love to defend Walmart, is this a trend? I don't know, but seems odd to me.
Being a snob doesn't mean ones rich. Most snobby people I know certainly aren't.

And, no, WM is much hated in many parts of California, especially in Northern California, not as much in SoCal, where there is a larger immigrant and working class community that welcomes it. Some idiots tried to get a Wal Mart in downtown Los Angeles to not open, but they fortunately failed miserably at that, and it opens in the spring, bringing affordable groceries and hundreds of jobs to a relatively poor section of downtown Los Angeles, in a retail space that has otherwise sat vacant since 1996.

Feel free to tell those people not to shop at Wal Mart, that they should spend more of their fixed income somewhere else instead of saving money they desperately need. You obviously know what's better for them than they do.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #100
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Being a snob doesn't mean ones rich. Most snobby people I know certainly aren't.

And, no, WM is much hated in many parts of California, especially in Northern California, not as much in SoCal, where there is a larger immigrant and working class community that welcomes it. Some idiots tried to get a Wal Mart in downtown Los Angeles to not open, but they fortunately failed miserably at that, and it opens in the spring, bringing affordable groceries and hundreds of jobs to a relatively poor section of downtown Los Angeles, in a retail space that has otherwise sat vacant since 1996.

Feel free to tell those people not to shop at Wal Mart, that they should spend more of their fixed income somewhere else instead of saving money they desperately need. You obviously know what's better for them than they do.
Wow, you sure do seem to take this personal. So now anyone that doesn't want a Walmart open is an idiot? Sorry But they aren't that much cheaper on everything. I know many people on fixed incomes, won't set foot in a Walmart. YOu can do just as well if you watch sales and coupons. I go with a friend on occasion to price match, the only thing I can see a difference on every occasion is cereal, I don't buy that crap anyway. I have seen several things that I buy that are actually MORE expensive at Walmart. Feel free to tell what people? what are you talking about? YOu keep telling everyone that disagrees with you, that obviously they know better. You seem very angry.

Last edited by mhsjax; 01-01-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: never mind.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #101
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

You two act like it's only an evil empire thing, companies all over the nation cut employee hours to not pay out benefits. My aunt was one of them, fighting tooth and nail to get the hours she needed for health insurance. It wasn't a retail chain, but a national company, with a nice hefty stock price.

I will give Disney the benefit that they do offer amazing insurance benefits to the employees, full or part time. If you're hired for full time, you can't get less than 32 hrs. The health insurance is very cheap in comparison, with many onsite options. They opened a health clinic behind Epcot for any CM.
Their pay is extremely pitiful. There's some CM's with 20 years seniority getting maybe just a couple dollars ahead of a new CM because they're capped out. Part of that is from the unions though, and raises are like 25 cents a year. It's possible to get a $1 extra per hour if you get coordinator or trainer, but only when you're scheduled as one.

There's a hotel on 192, one of those weekly places. Not only are there tons of CM's standing at the Lynx bus stop, the school buses also stop there to pick up the kids.

Being a Disney CM is not for any one that has a family. It works well for the college program, single/young adults starting out (willing to find roommates), and retired people who don't require the money. And there's a lot of jobs like this all across the nation.

Even Papa Johns was in the news when Obamacare was being talked about. How it would require them to raise the price of a pizza 14 cents to allow employees insurance.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #102
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandrA9810 View Post
You two act like it's only an evil empire thing, companies all over the nation cut employee hours to not pay out benefits. My aunt was one of them, fighting tooth and nail to get the hours she needed for health insurance. It wasn't a retail chain, but a national company, with a nice hefty stock price.

I will give Disney the benefit that they do offer amazing insurance benefits to the employees, full or part time. If you're hired for full time, you can't get less than 32 hrs. The health insurance is very cheap in comparison, with many onsite options. They opened a health clinic behind Epcot for any CM.
Their pay is extremely pitiful. There's some CM's with 20 years seniority getting maybe just a couple dollars ahead of a new CM because they're capped out. Part of that is from the unions though, and raises are like 25 cents a year. It's possible to get a $1 extra per hour if you get coordinator or trainer, but only when you're scheduled as one.

There's a hotel on 192, one of those weekly places. Not only are there tons of CM's standing at the Lynx bus stop, the school buses also stop there to pick up the kids.

Being a Disney CM is not for any one that has a family. It works well for the college program, single/young adults starting out (willing to find roommates), and retired people who don't require the money. And there's a lot of jobs like this all across the nation.

Even Papa Johns was in the news when Obamacare was being talked about. How it would require them to raise the price of a pizza 14 cents to allow employees insurance.
I know lots of companies do it. I am sure Disney does it, but I love Disney. I don't love Walmart. Lots of companies aren't for people that are raising families or supporting families. But not all of these companies are filled with crap like Walmart . I bet Costco isn't made for that either, but it is considered a very good place to work. Walmart is crap, plain and simple. If they paid their workers top dollar and you could support a family of 6 on what a sales assoc made and changed nothing else, I wouldn't shop there.

People at Disney seem friendly and helpful, at my Walmart, they look like they would be just as happy to shoot you as to help you. NOt all but most employees have this look, and I can only assume that it is because Walmart treats them like crap. I have no desire to shop at a place that is filled with sub par quality items and employees that are ruder than anything I have ever seen and wait in lines that are 15 people deep and have them refuse to open more lines. Just not worth my time. YMMV.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #103
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink2dw View Post
OP it was Christmas gift, that you got 2 of for Christmas you want to return one because you don't need two. No you did't get any receipts. they just told you where they bought it, walmart.
That doesn't work at Walmart and most other places any more for electronics as they scan the serial number when you buy it. The serial number tells them exactly when the item was purchased. My dad got my mom a camera for Christmas last year and she tried returning it to Walmart with a receipt. She was told she could not return it because it was past the return time. She tried returning it without a receipt and was told no after they scanned the serial number and found out when it was sold. They do this also so that you can not buy a new one and use the new package to return an old one that is not working.

I bought my dad a Wii a couple of years ago for Christmas. I found it cheaper at Walmart after buying one at Target. The Target one was already wrapped so I tried returning the new one I had bought unopened to Target and was told I could not because the serial number showed it was not bought there.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #104
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
They would not accept all the things you mentioned at any of the Sams in this area without receipts. I tried returning a hall runner (misplaced receipt) and none of them would accept it. I can understand 1 food item ( that may or may not have been bad) a whole trunk load of items - no way. They're not that lenient.
Sam's Club can look up all of your purchases on their computer by using your Sam's membership number. You do usually have to ask for them to do so though. My husband got a new cell from there last year. He is under his mom's family plan but he used his Sam's membership card to buy it. When he went in for a price adjustment they were able to look it up using his membership card without him having a receipt.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #105
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Your son might not need the insurance, but many of his coworkers do. Which makes a WalMart job a poor one for many people. I know that in WI our state health care system was full of people who worked 'almost full time' at WalMart so WI taxpayers had to pay for their family's medical I durance instead if one of the biggest corporations in the world.
It is everywhere not just in retail that people can not get insurance. More and more places do not offer insurance and if they do it is not affordable. My husband has worked through temp. agencies for most of his career and has not been offered insurance through most of them. The one's that did it was not affordable nor did it cover very much. Also some offered it but you had to work for a certain period of time with not even a day of unemployment. Hard to do when you are working temp. and your contract ends before the time is up and you have time off between jobs. Unfortunately more and more companies are using these agencies for various reasons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: