Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #76
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk!mom View Post
If your DS is happy there then no problem. Does he get full time hours? Does he receive benefits? Does he have health insurance?

My DS worked there several years ago. They kept almost all employees part time so that they didn't have to offer benefits. He now works for HEB, a regional grocery store chain, who gives full time hours and offers awesome insurance to even part time employees. Wal Mart makes a mint on the backs of some of the lowest paid employees around. I refuse to contribute.
The average HEB hourly employee earns $21,000 per year, or $10.09 per hour. This is a company with locations in Texas and Mexico, not exactly two places known for high wages. My son is a full-time student getting lots of hours, a schedule that works around his school schedule, and the store provides discounts(just like HEB), snacks in the break room, discounted vending, etc. My son is earning more per hour than what HEB's hourly "partners"(HEB speak for employees) average and is treated with respect by his managers! Tired of seeing Walmart called the "evil empire." Want to see low wages and horrible benefits, take a look at The Walt Disney Corporation!
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #77
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
Maybe they do now...but 5 years ago they didn't.

My parents didn't have the packing slip with them. But were still told even with the slip target wouldn't take the DVD.
Just to back you up, same thing happened to me when I bought a gift for my mom. A season of 24. Target would NOT take back the target.com purchase. I was SO mad at the time..still does make me angry. I believe they've changed their policy since then. This was about 5ish years back. Still, it happened to me in Ohio and Arizona.
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #78
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
I'm a really unhappy Target shopper because of their return policy. On Friday my son used a gift card from Christmas to buy a Nintendo 3ds game for 39.99. He wanted another game but it wasn't in stock in the store so the employee told me to go to Target.com. So I did on Saturday. Target.com had the game DS bought for $20 on clearance. So I went back to Target on Saturday and asked them to price match.

target doesn't price match target.com clearance. Bad policy.

So I called and spoke to customer service, sent an email and sent a letter to target to complain about this stupid policy. I also am not shopping there until I get some return email or phone call. I shop there many times a week and have all of my prescriptions there. I will move them if I don't get a response.
Target doesn't price match anyone's clearance price. That is not a bad policy nor is it part of their price match. Target stores' clearance vary by district and even stores. A toy on clearance at our Target may not be on clearance at a Target in the next bigger city because they are different districts.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #79
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They also won't accept returned items that you order from their website. My sister bought my parents season 1 of the tv show Heros a few years back. They never watched the show when it was on tv. They took it back to target thinking they could return it for store credit. No dice. Target wouldn't take it back because the bar code of stuff sold online is different than items sold in stores so the store scanners do not recognize it as being a Target sold.item.
This is NOT true. Some items they cannot return from the website and it states on the website that it can only be returned online. There are many items that can be returned in the store. You can check before ever purchasing it if it can be returned to the store or online only.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #80
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls886 View Post
Target does actually now price match target.com - they changed their policy prior to the holidays so I don't know if it is a temporary thing or if they'll continue on with it. The associates at customer service now have iPads that they use to pull up the item at target.com to confirm the lower price. Just an FYI for the future.

See the 'Price Match Guarantee' section...
https://corporate.target.com/about/s...-promise#q4070

ETA: I can also confirm that I have had my Target match a target.com price, I just went to CS, they pulled it up on their iPad and matched the price with no problem.
The difference is that she is wanting a Clearance price matched and that they won't do.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #81
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe they do now...but 5 years ago they didn't.

My parents didn't have the packing slip with them. But were still told even with the slip target wouldn't take the DVD.
My mom started working at Target in 96 and they have always allowed online items to be returned to the store but again it is NOT all online items. You have to be responsible and check the return policy for that item.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #82
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
The average HEB hourly employee earns $21,000 per year, or $10.09 per hour. This is a company with locations in Texas and Mexico, not exactly two places known for high wages. My son is a full-time student getting lots of hours, a schedule that works around his school schedule, and the store provides discounts(just like HEB), snacks in the break room, discounted vending, etc. My son is earning more per hour than what HEB's hourly "partners"(HEB speak for employees) average and is treated with respect by his managers! Tired of seeing Walmart called the "evil empire." Want to see low wages and horrible benefits, take a look at The Walt Disney Corporation!
If your DS is happy then again, no problem. You didn't answer the insurance question. My DS's biggest issue with Wal Mart was the lack of benefits especially insurance. He needed insurance and was never going to get it with Wal Mart. Glad that your DS is happy with his job but WM's overall poor treatment of their employees is well documented.

From http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/factsheet/

And Walmart associates are paying the price&

$15,500
Average annual salary of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

$8.81
Average hourly wage of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

46¢
Additional cost per shopping trip for a Walmart customer if the company offered a minimum wage of $12 an hour (PDF)
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #83
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk!mom View Post
If your DS is happy then again, no problem. You didn't answer the insurance question. My DS's biggest issue with Wal Mart was the lack of benefits especially insurance. He needed insurance and was never going to get it with Wal Mart. Glad that your DS is happy with his job but WM's overall poor treatment of their employees is well documented.

From http://makingchangeatwalmart.org/factsheet/

And Walmart associates are paying the price&

$15,500
Average annual salary of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

$8.81
Average hourly wage of a Walmart sales associate (based on an IBIS World figure)

46¢
Additional cost per shopping trip for a Walmart customer if the company offered a minimum wage of $12 an hour (PDF)
Interesting that you chose figures provided by an employee union, UFCW. The unions are hard pressed trying to get money out of Walmart employee paychecks, why is that? Is HEB union? My son doesn't need the insurance.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #84
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Interesting that you chose figures provided by an employee union, UFCW. The unions are hard pressed trying to get money out of Walmart employee paychecks, why is that? Is HEB union? My son doesn't need the insurance.
I looked up some of these rates and they had nothing to do with Unions. I know a few people that worked at Walmart in the past, none of them were happy with the store at all. Things may have changed, I don't know. All I know is if the employees are happy, our store sure doesn't show it. I have never seen a more miserable group of people in my life. I won't go there, pure nastiness. People who like their jobs, don't act like that. could be just that store, I don't know. Because of that store, I don't go to any other ones.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #85
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Regardless of whether this is posted by a Union or not but do you realize how many Walmart Employees are getting Foodstamps because the pay sucks?? I have a former neighbor who works for Walmart and the pay straight stinks. More Walmart employees get assistance than employees in many other department/grocery stores. It is sad and insane.

It is great that you can still insure your child but not everyone has that same benefit/opportunity.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #86
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I looked up some of these rates and they had nothing to do with Unions. I know a few people that worked at Walmart in the past, none of them were happy with the store at all. Things may have changed, I don't know. All I know is if the employees are happy, our store sure doesn't show it. I have never seen a more miserable group of people in my life. I won't go there, pure nastiness. People who like their jobs, don't act like that. could be just that store, I don't know. Because of that store, I don't go to any other ones.
It is that way in many stores around this country. It is sad but many Walmart Employees just don't seem happy.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #87
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Sorry, the link that was provided was directly to a union page! Unless you are a manager or above, there are not many retail jobs that allow for someone to provide for a family on.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #88
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
Regardless of whether this is posted by a Union or not but do you realize how many Walmart Employees are getting Foodstamps because the pay sucks?? I have a former neighbor who works for Walmart and the pay straight stinks. More Walmart employees get assistance than employees in many other department/grocery stores. It is sad and insane.

It is great that you can still insure your child but not everyone has that same benefit/opportunity.
Are you aware how many Disney employees receive food stamps? The Walt Disney Corporation isn't exactly know for high pay and benefits.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #89
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leajess99 View Post
It is that way in many stores around this country. It is sad but many Walmart Employees just don't seem happy.
Are you saying that only Walmart employees are underpaid/undercompensated?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #90
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, HEB is not union.
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: