Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
People at the restaurant may have been checking on his allergy (by the way, Teppan Edo is not operated by Disney) but that doesn't mean they knew he had told the rest of the table that they couldn't even order seafood.
I agree.

It's good and great that they were checking with him, but that didn't mean anything *for you*. It's awfully sweet that you guys changed in that way; I would do that for a stated peanut allergy if I were on a plane or in another area where people couldn't get away from my peanut-containing foods. But I'm not sure that scallops, etc, have the same sort of vapor problem like with peanut dust.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

1) I am sorry, but there is something very screwy here.
2) For shell fish allergies
. . . his food would be prepared in the kitchen, not at the table
. . . IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to clean the steel surface well enough
. . . the steel "Teppan" surface is too porous for thorough cleaning *
. . . there would be shellfish contamination
3) If the guy was that allergic, the table next to you would be bothersome

4) I would write Disney and the eatery.
5) You got the short end of the stick.

* "Teppan" refers to the 1½"-2" thick heated steel cooking surface. The
surface is not honed smooth and is, thus, porous. Particles gather within
the nodes on the surface and hide contaminants. That is why food is
prepared in the kitcvhen for anyone with allergies to other food which is
cooked on the surface - either at that sitting or a previous sitting. That
is also why separate "allergy" stations in the kitchens at all WDW eteries are
only used for people with allergies. Cross contamination CANNOT be assured
when using the same surface(s).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, when the OP wrote that they prepared HIS food at the table... someone with an allergy that is so serious that they can't have the allergen cooked around them ought to have their meal prepared in the kitchen or be seated in the private room, or his party at their own table. He wasn't concerned about possible cross contamination from the hibachi, but said people at the same table couldn't even order seafood even if it was cooked after his because he couldn't have it cooked in front of him? What about shrimp being cooked at the table right behind him...wouldn't that have the same effect? Did he ask the guests at that table to forego seafood as well?

It still sounds to me like the restaurant staff may have had no idea this guy told the OP they couldn't order seafood. If that is the case, writing the restaurant won't prevent this in the future, unless it alerts them that they should ask allergic customers if they can sit at a table where other patrons are eating the allergen. OP and other readers are aware that if someone at their table makes a request of them like that, they should ask the restaurant staff for alternatives as the restaurant does NOT follow this sort of policy. At the very least they could have been reseated at another table.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 12-27-2012 at 04:25 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

My daughter has a peanut allergy so we are familar with Disney and their terms (which are super accomodating!) and we have eaten at Teppan Edo before. Now, I know all allergies are different, and my daughter can be seated next to someone who is eating peanuts and not go into shock, while others cannot inhale peanuts, but this seems really weird to me because

1) Teppan Edo's seating is TIGHT! This person could have been sitting closer to a party seated behind them that was ordering scallops and breathing it in. Especially in that resturant where steam from the burners basically fills the room.

2) Wouldn't they just cook either his or yours in the back?

3) Couldn't they just seat them at a table @ Tokyo Dining, isn't it all owned by the same company? and brought his meal to him there?

I think the OP should have asked ot be seated elsewhere letting the host know that he wanted scallops and the man in the other party cannot breath in "scallop air".

We would love to eat at Ohana's for dinner but are too nervous to because they serve peanut sauce and we just wouldn't feel comfy with it at our table (if someone else wanted it we couldn't tell them no! kwim?) So we've never attempted it. I do agree with OP, sometimes with allergies you do need to have some common sense as to where it would be safe to eat and where it is not.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
We had an issue at Teppen Edo recently. I am wondering if I should send a note to guest service just to give them a heads up on how this might be better managed next time. Hubby and I were a party of two so we were sat with a larger party. When we were sat down, one of the other gentlemen at the table informed us he had a shellfish allergy. Not a big deal right? Normally the chef would just prepare his meal before all others to prevent cross contamination. It was a big deal because hubby and I were pretty much told by this gentleman that we could not order shrimp or scallops because his allergies would be set off if they were even cooking infront of him. (Why was he even in a place like Teppen Edo then, I am not sure). Needless to say, hubby and I didnt enjoy the scallops and shrimp we were looking forward to because of this. Do you think I should send a note to guest services? I know it isn't Disney's fault this guy had allergies. My suggestion to Disney would be if a situation like this would present itself again, maybe just let that group have a table to themselves or better yet group shellfish allergy parties together that way there would be no cooking of shellfish at all on that table.
Sorry but that guy was wrong with a capital W. If I'm paying close to $30 for a meal, I'm getting what I want. What if I said "I'm a vegetarian so you can't have any meat"? Yes, I know allergies are different but think about all the people who could be put out by one person in a restaurant. It was that guy's choice to eat there, he should have looked at the menu first, he should have known there were going to be other people at the table. And the other members of his party were stupid too.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05

We would love to eat at Ohana's for dinner but are too nervous to because they serve peanut sauce and we just wouldn't feel comfy with it at our table (if someone else wanted it we couldn't tell them no! kwim?) So we've never attempted it. I do agree with OP, sometimes with allergies you do need to have some common sense as to where it would be safe to eat and where it is not.
Maybe I misunderstood this- however you do not share tables with other parties at 'Ohana.... I would think if you note it on your ADR they would not bring out the peanut sauce...
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

OP - You have been given some very good advice here..just wanted to add..you are a better person than I. You handled this much better than I would have.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #23
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Now I am wondering if Teppen Edo didn't follow proper protocol when it came to preparing his meal because like I said the chef came out, asked him again about his allergy, wiped down the grill, and then cooked his whole meal before any of our meals were prepared.

Okay what I gathered from the situation was this: Dad ( the one with the allergy) and mom were invited along on vacation with the son and his family. I assume the daughter in law was the one who made all the ADRs. I was worried that "Dad" wasn't aware how Teppen Edo worked and asked him what about the other tables cooking shrimp and scallops. He laughed and said, "Dunno, guess we will find out." I asked if he had an epi pen on him. He laughed and said no. He said that his allergy was so bad that he couldn't even go into grocery stores that carry raw seafood. That really freaked me out. I truly thought this guy was gonna keel over midmeal or something. Maybe he was overexagerrating his allergy or maybe he was pulling my leg. It didn't seem like it at the time. After hearing all of that, I wasn't about to put someone in a medical crisis over a meal.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
MisterGoofy1
Mouseketeer

I'm trying really hard to picture what it would be like if someone at a restaurant told me I couldn't eat what I wanted...Yea, it wouldn't be pretty.
MisterGoofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #25
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now I am wondering if Teppen Edo didn't follow proper protocol when it came to preparing his meal because like I said the chef came out, asked him again about his allergy, wiped down the grill, and then cooked his whole meal before any of our meals were prepared.

Okay what I gathered from the situation was this: Dad ( the one with the allergy) and mom were invited along on vacation with the son and his family. I assume the daughter in law was the one who made all the ADRs. I was worried that "Dad" wasn't aware how Teppen Edo worked and asked him what about the other tables cooking shrimp and scallops. He laughed and said, "Dunno, guess we will find out." I asked if he had an epi pen on him. He laughed and said no. He said that his allergy was so bad that he couldn't even go into grocery stores that carry raw seafood. That really freaked me out. I truly thought this guy was gonna keel over midmeal or something. Maybe he was overexagerrating his allergy or maybe he was pulling my leg. It didn't seem like it at the time. After hearing all of that, I wasn't about to put someone in a medical crisis over a meal.
Wow this whole thing is just so strange. So nice of you guys to go with the flow. I would have asked to be seated at a different table (if my kids weren't with me).

My daughter has severe allergies and I've never asked anyone (outside of our family) to refrain from eating certain foods around her. I can't imagine asking a complete stranger.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #26
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

"I asked if he had an epi pen on him. He laughed and said no."

This is where I would have snapped. Someone with a severe food allergy goes to a new restaurant on vacation without an epi-pen?!? Are you freaking kidding me?
gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #27
raider97
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
Maybe I misunderstood this- however you do not share tables with other parties at 'Ohana.... I would think if you note it on your ADR they would not bring out the peanut sauce...
Very true! My daughter has a severe peanut allergy and we have eaten at Ohana's several times. We just note it on our reservation and they don't bring out the peanut sauce for our table (you don't sit with others at Ohanas). Then they always tell us what she can and can't have and specially make her food for her.

Stephanie
raider97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #28
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Yeah, the whole thing is a little off. I would have tried to talk to my server, and then a manager if it was not resolved.
We have some severe allergies, but I would never expect someone else at a table not to eat something (it's not like they are rubbing it on the allergic person).
There are many good accomodations that can be made, but it is impossible to keep any airborne particles from anyone in the same room.
We carry the epi-pen just in case, and we've never had life-threatening food reactions. We are around people with airborne peanut allergies, and they would never go anywhere without the epi-pen.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #29
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
We had an issue at Teppen Edo recently. I am wondering if I should send a note to guest service just to give them a heads up on how this might be better managed next time. Hubby and I were a party of two so we were sat with a larger party. When we were sat down, one of the other gentlemen at the table informed us he had a shellfish allergy. Not a big deal right? Normally the chef would just prepare his meal before all others to prevent cross contamination. It was a big deal because hubby and I were pretty much told by this gentleman that we could not order shrimp or scallops because his allergies would be set off if they were even cooking infront of him. (Why was he even in a place like Teppen Edo then, I am not sure). Needless to say, hubby and I didnt enjoy the scallops and shrimp we were looking forward to because of this. Do you think I should send a note to guest services? I know it isn't Disney's fault this guy had allergies. My suggestion to Disney would be if a situation like this would present itself again, maybe just let that group have a table to themselves or better yet group shellfish allergy parties together that way there would be no cooking of shellfish at all on that table.
I'm sure some people will think I'm an insensitive __________ (fill in the blank) but I would not allow myself to be dictated to on what we had for dinner by a stranger. I appreciate the guy had allergies (I have a severe corn allergy, myself) but I wouldn't dream of telling people they couldn't have corn because they were at my table. I don't even make such demands on my own family, let alone a stranger!

I would have politely said to the gentleman that I would be ordering whatever I wanted from the menu and that if my eating my chosen dish was going to be problematic for him, that he should request to be moved. I'm sorry, but unless he is going to pay for your meal, he doesn't get to tell you what to eat. You have every right to eat what you wish to eat when you're paying to eat at a restaurant.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Peter Fan
Peter Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance

I'm sure some people will think I'm an insensitive __________ (fill in the blank) but I would not allow myself to be dictated to on what we had for dinner by a stranger. I appreciate the guy had allergies (I have a severe corn allergy, myself) but I wouldn't dream of telling people they couldn't have corn because they were at my table. I don't even make such demands on my own family, let alone a stranger!

I would have politely said to the gentleman that I would be ordering whatever I wanted from the menu and that if my eating my chosen dish was going to be problematic for him, that he should request to be moved. I'm sorry, but unless he is going to pay for your meal, he doesn't get to tell you what to eat. You have every right to eat what you wish to eat when you're paying to eat at a restaurant.
Agree!
Peter Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: