Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Wondering if I should send a little note to guest services... Teppen Edo experience

We had an issue at Teppen Edo recently. I am wondering if I should send a note to guest service just to give them a heads up on how this might be better managed next time. Hubby and I were a party of two so we were sat with a larger party. When we were sat down, one of the other gentlemen at the table informed us he had a shellfish allergy. Not a big deal right? Normally the chef would just prepare his meal before all others to prevent cross contamination. It was a big deal because hubby and I were pretty much told by this gentleman that we could not order shrimp or scallops because his allergies would be set off if they were even cooking infront of him. (Why was he even in a place like Teppen Edo then, I am not sure). Needless to say, hubby and I didnt enjoy the scallops and shrimp we were looking forward to because of this. Do you think I should send a note to guest services? I know it isn't Disney's fault this guy had allergies. My suggestion to Disney would be if a situation like this would present itself again, maybe just let that group have a table to themselves or better yet group shellfish allergy parties together that way there would be no cooking of shellfish at all on that table.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Could you have asked to be seated at a different table?

The man with the allergy should have told the hostess that not only could he not have shellfish, but neither could anyone else at the table.

If you didn't tell anyone that you'd prefer to be seated at a table where you could order shellfish, but just followed your fellow diner's request, then the restaurant didn't do anything wrong. If the chef, hostess or server announced that nobody could order shellfish, then I think a note to Disney reporting how the restaurant could have handled things differently would certainly be appropriate.

Last edited by MHSweb79; 12-27-2012 at 12:54 PM.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

Did you ask the manager or someone at the restaurant to move you to a new table? You shouldn't be prevented from ordering what you want because of someone else's allergies (and I'm saying this as a mother of a child with severe allergies). I would think the restaurant would accomodate both parties by moving one group to a different table.

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

This makes no sense to me. If the guy couldn't be in the same room with seafood being cooked they could have seated him in the private room. If he couldn't have his food cooked on the same burner they could have prepared his meal in the kitchen. They do this quite often. Apparently he didn't bother to ask for accommodation from the restaurant and went the route of telling the other guests they had to accommodate him instead. Did you ask anyone at the restaurant or did you just take the customer's word that you were unable to order seafood? If you didn't ask a manager and just went with what the other guest said, I don't see any reeason to complain about the restaurant. His allergy does not give him the right to tell other guests what they can or can't order, especially since the restaurant is fully capable of making accommodations.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 12-27-2012 at 10:16 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
This makes no sense to me. If the guy couldn't be in the same room with seafood being cooked they should have seated him in the private room. If he couldn't have his food cooked on the same burner they could have prepared his meal in the kitchen. They do this quite often. Did you ask anyone at the restaurant or did you just take the customer's word that you were unable to order seafood? If you didn't ask a manager and just went with what the other guest said, I don't see any reason to complain about the restaurant. His allergy does not give him the right to tell other guests what they can or can't order, especially since the restaurant is fully capable of making accommodations.
I totally agree with this. If you took the customers word for it, and decided not to speak with the staff or manager, then unfortunately I dont think you have a right to complain about the restaurant. Because they deal with allergies ALL THE TIME...they would either cook the food at the back, or cook the food first. At that point, you should have spoken to the staff. If they were aware of the allergy, they would have taken the proper steps to make sure everyone is happy. Whether it means cooking his food at the back, or yours. Either way, you would have had your scallops and shrimp.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Nixie
DIS Veteran

I assumed Disney was aware of the situation because two different people came over to confirm he had a shellfish allergy. His food was cooked before everyone else's. I did not think changing tables was even an option. We had waited over 30 mins after our ADR to be seated and the place was completely packed. Okay lesson learned. Don't assume and speak up I wasn't THAT big of a deal though. Hubby and I still did enjoy our meal eventhough we didn't get to order what we really wanted.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
I assumed Disney was aware of the situation because two different people came over to confirm he had a shellfish allergy. His food was cooked before everyone else's. I did not think changing tables was even an option. We had waited over 30 mins after our ADR to be seated and the place was completely packed. Okay lesson learned. Don't assume and speak up I wasn't THAT big of a deal though. Hubby and I still did enjoy our meal eventhough we didn't get to order what we really wanted.
See in this case they could have made your scallops/shrimp at the back kitchen. Ah well, lesson learned right?

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

People at the restaurant may have been checking on his allergy (by the way, Teppan Edo is not operated by Disney) but that doesn't mean they knew he had told the rest of the table that they couldn't even order seafood. At any rate, asking to have YOUR meal prepared in the kitchen likely would have worked too. Unless he wanted to control the situation to the extent that there was no seafood in his vicinity, in which case I would wonder if he told guests at the surrounding tables they couldn't order seafood either. The tables are pretty close together.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

...and what about all the meals that were cooked on that same grill before you?

Its not as if the grills are sterilized between parties.

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
I wouls still send a note to guest services. It probably won't have any positive result for you (in terms of a refund or anything), but it might help them manage it better for future guests.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #11
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac

I wouls still send a note to guest services. It probably won't have any positive result for you (in terms of a refund or anything), but it might help them manage it better for future guests.
But the restaurant had nothing to do with it. The chef didn't say no one at the table could order seafood.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
mhnewcomb
Mouseketeer

Wow. I'm trying to imagine having such allergies (which is awful, btw...wouldn't wish that on anyone), and then sitting down at a Japanese grill and announcing to everyone at the table what they could and could not order.

I'm not having any success.

mhnewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
jalpert
Mouseketeer

Yah, no way a stranger is going to to tell me what I can and can't order at a communal table.

You got some good advice, it sounds like you know what to do next time.

Disney does their best, but consumer advocacy is still important. Not to sound insensitive, but his allergy is his problem. He made it yours, he didn't have the right to do that. Everyone knows the drill at a hibachi joint, he did as well. He could have let the staff accommodate him, or he could have visited the other 90% of restaurants on property that seat at private tables.
jalpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I have a life threatening allergy to shellfish and I would NEVER expect another guest at Teppan Edo to avoid eating it around me..I just carry my epi pen and let them know I have an allergy.Never had an issue yet
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpert View Post
Yah, no way a stranger is going to to tell me what I can and can't order at a communal table.

You got some good advice, it sounds like you know what to do next time.

Disney does their best, but consumer advocacy is still important. Not to sound insensitive, but his allergy is his problem. He made it yours, he didn't have the right to do that. Everyone knows the drill at a hibachi joint, he did as well. He could have let the staff accommodate him, or he could have visited the other 90% of restaurants on property that seat at private tables.
Agree with this. Definitely would have advised that guest that I'd be ordering scallops or whatever and he should see the hostess for proper accommodations for his needs.

OP - sorry you didn't get to order what you wanted! You've gotten some good advise and opinions!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: